Help me decide. POR vs. BC

kandb

DIS Veteran
We just got back from BWI CL and it was very nice but expensive. We received a BB and I reserved BC for 5 nights for around $2100. We love the parks but don't do parks all the time, love spending time at the resort and going to nice dinners. We ate at Ohana's this trip and cost almost $300 for 4 people. I am thinking of changing resorts from BC to POR since it will be so much cheaper. It's hard once you are used to staying at deluxe resorts to stay at the moderates. It's been around 10 years since we stayed at POR. How is the resort? Can anyone compare deluxe resorts to POR? Help me decide please!

Have you considered CSR Tower? I find that to be a more acceptable step down from a Deluxe than a full mod room. GDT is like Mod+. Interior halls, thicker walls, multiple dining options. Although the bathroom setup is not right for everyone (if you aren’t that close with your travel companions the toilet and sink are off limits when the shower is in use instead of just the toilet being off limits) and the rooms max at 4 people.

Also, check Swolphin.

*warning- apologies to those who love POFQ*
I cannot speak to POR but I did a POFQ/BWI split last year. I wanted to try a full moderate, I was used to staying Deluxe or GDT but the prices were getting ridiculous. It was only like 3 or 4 nights but I was SO happy to move to BWI. I ended up hating all the outside walkways in the wet weather, the pool was slammed with not nearly enough chairs, the AC unit made a complete racket when turning on and you could hear multiple toilets nearby flushing. I wasn’t even a fan of the DS boat, a long boat ride that dumps you at the end of DS where you have to clear security for entry- we were much happier taking the POFQ DS bus, it was very fast and basically empty.

I decided in the future if I need to cut my budget like that again and Swolphin doesn’t fit I will go looking off-site. What I’ve been doing lately to save is sometimes I’ll stay the first night at Pop if I can get a discount. I know going in the walls are thin and it’s a motel setup but being my first night I usually just collapse of exhaustion then wake up early to drop my bags at Bell Services to transfer for me and then I get to hop the Skyliner to a park instead of cramming on to a bus!

I am thinking of changing resorts from BC to POR since it will be so much cheaper.
BC is our favorite resort and stay there often. But we also like POR and stay there occasionally. In fact, we will be at POR two weeks from today. Nothing beats the Beach Club for location and amenities, imo, but POR is really nice and a great way to save money.

We had a free upgrade to a Royal Room when we were at POR last February. The room hadn't been upgraded yet, but it was still a nice room. The only things I really missed were the additional outlets and USB ports that the upgraded rooms have.

Have you considered CSR Tower? I find that to be a more acceptable step down from a Deluxe than a full mod room. GDT is like Mod+. Interior halls, thicker walls, multiple dining options. Although the bathroom setup is not right for everyone (if you aren’t that close with your travel companions the toilet and sink are off limits when the shower is in use instead of just the toilet being off limits) and the rooms max at 4 people.

Also, check Swolphin.

*warning- apologies to those who love POFQ*
I cannot speak to POR but I did a POFQ/BWI split last year. I wanted to try a full moderate, I was used to staying Deluxe or GDT but the prices were getting ridiculous. It was only like 3 or 4 nights but I was SO happy to move to BWI. I ended up hating all the outside walkways in the wet weather, the pool was slammed with not nearly enough chairs, the AC unit made a complete racket when turning on and you could hear multiple toilets nearby flushing. I wasn’t even a fan of the DS boat, a long boat ride that dumps you at the end of DS where you have to clear security for entry- we were much happier taking the POFQ DS bus, it was very fast and basically empty.

I decided in the future if I need to cut my budget like that again and Swolphin doesn’t fit I will go looking off-site. What I’ve been doing lately to save is sometimes I’ll stay the first night at Pop if I can get a discount. I know going in the walls are thin and it’s a motel setup but being my first night I usually just collapse of exhaustion then wake up early to drop my bags at Bell Services to transfer for me and then I get to hop the Skyliner to a park instead of cramming on to a bus!
Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

We love Epcot area resorts but don’t subscribe to the “once you go deluxe you won’t go back!” train of thought. We have amazing trips at Pop just like we have at Boardwalk. I haven’t stayed at POR but have stayed at POFQ and also aren’t open to close park people. We loved the proximity to Disney Springs. If you’re into dining you’ll likely feel the same way. Never had an issue with busses and enjoyed our time at POFQ!

I loved POR, but, like you, it's a while since I was there.

Is Saratoga Springs a possibility? It might be nice to walk to be able to walk to Disney Springs for a few nice meals.

Otherwise, it depends... Do you think you're likely to focus on what you're missing or on what you're enjoying at POR, as compared to a deluxe like BW? (Disclaimer: That's not a judgement, it can go either way with any of us.) I loved the quiet grounds and quiet pools at POR.

How many of you in the POR room? I know they accommodate 5, but that might feel like too much of a squeeze next to deluxe rooms, especially if you're wanting to enjoy resort time.

I loved POR, but, like you, it's a while since I was there.

Is Saratoga Springs a possibility? It might be nice to walk to be able to walk to Disney Springs for a few nice meals.

Otherwise, it depends... Do you think you're likely to focus on what you're missing or on what you're enjoying at POR, as compared to a deluxe like BW? (Disclaimer: That's not a judgement, it can go either way with any of us.) I loved the quiet grounds and quiet pools at POR.

How many of you in the POR room? I know they accommodate 5, but that might feel like too much of a squeeze next to deluxe rooms, especially if you're wanting to enjoy resort time.
Yes, we are five. Probably going to go with Beach Club. TY

We are a family of five that has stayed at both BC and POR in the last year and would say if proximity to parks isn’t a priority that the value of POR would be a good choice. The theming there is great, the grounds are in our opinion the prettiest of any resort and the pool area is one of our favorites with a great slide.

POR is my least favorite. If you want to switch to a moderate I would recommend Coronado Springs - Gran Destino Tower of CBR

We just got back from BWI CL and it was very nice but expensive. We received a BB and I reserved BC for 5 nights for around $2100. We love the parks but don't do parks all the time, love spending time at the resort and going to nice dinners. We ate at Ohana's this trip and cost almost $300 for 4 people. I am thinking of changing resorts from BC to POR since it will be so much cheaper. It's hard once you are used to staying at deluxe resorts to stay at the moderates. It's been around 10 years since we stayed at POR. How is the resort? Can anyone compare deluxe resorts to POR? Help me decide please!
I've stayed at many of the resorts and while we prefer deluxe, it doesn't always make sense for us given how much time we spend in the parks. Whereas, when we take a little longer trip, say longer than 3 or so nights, we will try to do deluxe and of course it depends on time of year too. I love POR and have stayed in all parts of this resort. The "cons" of POR can be the number of bus stops and location of your room. If you don't stay in a preferred room or get your requested building, you can have some longer walks to the bus stop/lobby. Not a deal killer but just no where near as compact a footprint as BWI.

Not sure if POFQ is included in your BB offer, but it's our preferred mod resort over any of the others, even CBR with the skyliner. POFQ has a MUCH smaller footprint than POR and only one bus stop. Our last stay at POFQ, our room was 200ft from the lobby, it was wonderful. Con- it's a bus ride to every park, as is POR, but the bus is easy and a short ride. But POR or POFQ will not be the same as BWI, it's really comparing apples and oranges.

Other resort honorable mentions-
  • Swan/Dolphin- deluxe category, great location, usually great pricing (depending on time of yr/demand), but cons are not disney owned and not disney themed. Get disney deluxe park benefits with ETPE/EEH but no MB $ charging/can't open your room w/MB. We will stay at S/D for trips where we're at DHS/EP more given the great location. Can't beat walking or a boat ride to the parks and so many great dining options around the Boardwalk area.
  • CSR is a nice property too- The Tower is an easy bus stop and has a deluxe feel. But no deluxe resort benefits. Rooms can have nice views in the tower but no balcony. And the tower is a bit of a walk to the main pool.
  • CSR- least fave moderate for me even with the skyliner to DHS/Ep. Just don't care for the layout of this resort--it's LARGE and has 8 bus stops- that gets really old, really fast. And if you do a summer stay, the skyliner goes down for daily t-storms so that's a negative.

I would stick with BC for that price. If you like nice dinners, the Epcot resort area brings many dining options into walking range (BC, YC, BW, World Showcase) - I really enjoyed dining in Epcot and having a little stroll home to end the night rather than worrying about bus, boat or monorail schedules.

BC gets late hours which PO does not. If that's in play for you and your park style that might matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter