Help me choose offsite hotel

HappyGrape

DIS Veteran
My current options are listed below with cost for 3 nights end of June. I have added the parking manually and 10 euro per person per night for breakfast as few of the hotels include breakfast. There will be 3 of us.

Tropicana inn 632
Desert Inn Suites 653
Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel 653
Anaheim Camelot Inn 672
Park Vue inn 728
Fairfield inn 750

I would like sunny pool, comfortable beds, easy walk to the parks, good offsite dinning options nearby

What would you choose and why?

Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn - not available for my dates
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn - not available for my dates

Tropicana would meet your needs. Their pool is not large, but in a nice sunny location. Nothing fancy about the hotel, but is clean and very close to the parks. Also, plenty of breakfast places nearby, and they have a little store that has a coffee shop that sells pastries for a quick breakfast.

Hojos. Best beds of the choices above. Also, McDs is on the way, as is Panera, and Mimi's is great either as a dine in, or call in an order and pick up on the way back to the room.

Desert Inn is a go to for many, but for me, the beds were horrible. Many say they are so tired they don't notice the beds. And the pool is an indoor pool.

Also check the Candy Cane Inn.

Tropicana, Camelot, PVI and DSI are motels, if that distinction matters. You're going to pass some food options walking to Fairfield and HoJo, fast food and diners like Denny's and Mimi's. There's enough variety for 3 night, but if you have a car you might want to venture off site. There's also DTD and Anaheim GardenWalk in the opposite direction. It really depends how much walking you want to do. DSI's pool is indoors and Tropicana and I think maybe Park Vue it's in the parking lot.

I was happy at the Fairfield Inn next to the McDs - a bit closer than the Hojo. But for the cost savings, Hojos is a board favorite.

Hojos. Best beds of the choices above. Also, McDs is on the way, as is Panera, and Mimi's is great either as a dine in, or call in an order and pick up on the way back to the room.

Desert Inn is a go to for many, but for me, the beds were horrible. Many say they are so tired they don't notice the beds. And the pool is an indoor pool.

Also check the Candy Cane Inn.
indoor pool is deal breaker for me as we travel from Leander and I crave sun! thanks for pointing this out to me

I've stayed at 3 of those you listed ( Hojo, Camelot, Park Vue ), while I loved the location and free breakfast at Park Vue, Hojo is definitely a nicer place with as mentioned - nicer beds and nicer pools.

I am thinking between HOJO and Tropicana

how far are they for walking to the theme parks?

thank you all for your help. I have been 3 times to Orlando and once to LA but have not been to Disneyland in California yet so it's all new and unknown for me

We are staying at PVI next week but stayed at the HoJo last year and loved it.
The garden pool is sun soaked and feels very tropical. It is a bit of a longer walk but that gives it a nice secluded feeling. Also, we loved Mimi's for breakfasts and late dinners. Definitely sign up for their emails as they send BOGO entree deals about once a week.

Tropicana's pool is in the parking lot, but very sunny with a nice big hot tub. You can't beat the location, such a short walk which is especially helpful with kids. Fairfield Inn has a very similar set up for the pool, and awesome beds. If I were in your position, I'd probably want to try Hojo, because it's more landscaped and designed more like a "resort" with multiple buildings and pool areas.

There is plenty of off site dining on Harbor, including a Dennys, IHOP, McDonalds, Panera Bread, the famous Pizza Press, and more. A short walk or Uber will deliver you to Gardenwalk, where large chain restaurants can be found, such as California Pizza Kitchen, PF Changs, McCormick and Schmicks, Cheesecake Factory and more.

Have fun planning!

Hojos for sure. Their beds are the most comfortable of all the hotels I've tried. They are a true hotel style with interior corridors. Walk to the park is under 10 minutes. Their pool is a good size and lots of lounge chairs. There is a seperate kids pool area as well. Very clean. Great service. Mimis restaurant is right across the street. And on the same side of the road is also a Panera and McDonald's. Dennys and IHOP are a little further down.

20160609_113139.jpeg
Not the best pic but this is a view of the pool from our room last year. Its not off the parking lot. Its in behind the short two story buildings and in front of Building 2.

We love, love, love Hojo's! Beds are so comfortable you don't want to get out of them! I love the décor, the design, and the retro feel (architect was a friend of Walt's). The gift shop is amazing and the garden pool is beautiful. The grounds overall are very peaceful. My family loves Mimi's Café and we get food to go from there and bring it back to the pool or room. Check out the Mousesavers Rate if you haven't already.

Midnightred

I am thinking between HOJO and Tropicana

how far are they for walking to the theme parks?
The Tropicana has been remodeling their rooms. We stayed four nights (Rm 381) in December 2016 before the remodel.
You can see the re-model on their Facebook page in a February 10th post.

Our room was clean, bright and there was plenty of room for the three of us.
I thought the beds were fine. In fact all three of us felt the beds were fine. Plenty of water pressure in shower and no issue with the hot water.

We used the pool for mid day breaks and again after the parks closed. My group likes to have Marris' deliver a pizza and sit in the hot tub after a day in the parks.
Marris will deliver a Large pepperoni pizza for less than $20. Boy their food is good.......

We could see the fireworks from our room, which was a nice perk.

We have a reservation for our next stay in October.

Enjoy your time in the parks.

Geemo

I'm also trying to figure out where to stay but in December. I booked Fairfield Inn today because they are remodeling the rooms. They showed updated pics on their website. I was considering the Courtyard but couldn't justify it in December. I like that it's (now) a bit more modern, a close walk & has Panera, Mimis & McDonalds all right there. I just hope they aren't in the middle of massive construction for that new walkway and we can still enter the parks there per normal.

We love Tropicana, but with the Construction from the Carrousel Inn (assuming there will be construction going on in June) I would avoid it because of potential noise. I would also avoid any hotels that you may have to walk past the construction, so Camelot (would have the noise from the Carrousel and have to walk by the construction so definitely no), Fairfield (unless you cross at Manchester and backtrack) and Hojo (unless you cross at Manchester). Park Vue is a great option we really like it. If it were me I would pick Desert Inn since it gets you close to the park and still not too far from the new Pizza Press location at Anaheim Plaza.

If you have kids I would go with HOJO for the minimal cost difference. They have two pool areas. One with the splash pad and small water slides and the other with just a pool.

I definitely would not pay more for Fairfield than HOJOs. While I am one of the few who hated HOJO and wouldn't stay there again unless the rate was dirt cheap, Fairfield was MUCH worse. All outdoor hallways, really small rooms compared to HOJO and the place needs some major soundproofing! I haven't stayed at the others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter