Help! First Visit to Disneyland

plumedeb

Mouseketeer
We are visiting (staying at the new DVC Tower) April 19-23 following a Disney Cruise out of San Diego. We know Disney World inside and out and have been a million times, but this is our first visit to Disneyland/LA area.

I have been scanning this site and getting lots of GREAT info from ya!

BUT....I am having a hard time changing my brain from Disney World to Disneyland.

Do you have any suggestions on sites or good ways to get a better handle on everything Disneyland and the surrounding area (we are visiting from the East Coast)?

Thanks so much!

Try reading the sticky posts here on DIS. There's generally great info, though I don't know how often it's updated. Still, you're talking about two parks across a small-ish plaza from each other which have as many (more?) attractions than then four Florida parks.

We are visiting (staying at the new DVC Tower) April 19-23 following a Disney Cruise out of San Diego. We know Disney World inside and out and have been a million times, but this is our first visit to Disneyland/LA area.

BUT....I am having a hard time changing my brain from Disney World to Disneyland.

Do you have any suggestions on sites or good ways to get a better handle on everything Disneyland and the surrounding area (we are visiting from the East Coast)?

Thanks so much!

Are there any particular aspects of the Disneyland Resort that you're having trouble wrapping your head around? Or is the situation so different that you can't even identify what you want to know? We can all help you sort things out!

Well, the good thing is there's not nearly as much to wrap your head around as if you're familiar with DL but going to WDW for the first time! The entire two-park / Downtown Disney / Disneyland Hotel complex is all walking distance. Once you're at the hotel, whether you drive yourself or get dropped off, that's it; you no longer need to get in the car unless you intend to leave Disney property. No need for figuring out transportation between hotels and parks, either, so no buses or boats or monorails (unless you want to ride the DL monorail, which you should obviously do at least once). And if you have park hoppers, you literally walk out of one park and directly into the other park; it doesn't really cost you any extra time to jump from one to the other.

There are also only two parks, one of which is similar to Magic Kingdom, so you're already sort of ahead of the learning curve with that one. Don't get me wrong, it's different enough that it doesn't feel like you're just visiting another Magic Kingdom, but you probably won't feel like it's an entirely unknown situation. And since there are only two parks, your dates seem to indicate you'll have plenty of time to figure it out as you go without feeling too rushed even if you don't get your head fully around it before you arrive.

In the end, just remember to have fun and soak in all that is different! I've been going to WDW my entire life but DL only for the past five years or so, and I absolutely love both of them. In fact, I'm going to DL in a couple weeks and then WDW in April, and I'm equally excited for both trips because each experience is pretty unique.

PS - just mentally prepare yourself for the disappointment that is a WDW veteran seeing the tiny DL castle for the first time haha. Even after several DL trips, I still chuckle to myself whenever I see Sleeping Beauty Castle, having grown up with Cinderella Castle. But don't miss the great walk-through attraction you can do there!

Once you're at the hotel, whether you drive yourself or get dropped off, that's it; you no longer need to get in the car unless you intend to leave Disney property.
That's correct. If if you have a car, there's nowhere TO drive in the resort, unless it's from the parking lot at GCH to the DLH parking lot. Which is the same lot! :laughing:

I would download the Disneyland App you can look at the map and see what rides/attractions interest you and look into them more if you want

Most HM will be down but Disneyland Pirates is a little better here then at WDW. Big Thunder is about the same as well, we have a better effect on the finale hill but the views from MK are pretty great on big thunder.

You will only need to use a car if your going to Universal Studios or something

Since you will be in Sand Diego if you want a good meal at cute themed restaurants go to Old Town in Sand Diego, it has free parking and is also next to the public transportation system

Thanks so much!
If you haven't already, I suggest you check out Freshbaked Disney's videos on Youtube. He's the best DL youtuber in my opinion. His videos will tell you everything you need to know about Disneyland.

Here are main things I'd note as different vs WDW:
  • Park hopping super easy - 2 minute walk from front of one park to other. 25 minute walk from the back of one park to back of the other. You can think of it as almost one park - in terms of total area it's not that much bigger than Epcot alone
  • Main rides that you'll want to do that aren't in WDW: Radiator Springs Racers (Test Track but better) and all of cars land, Indiana Jones (Dinosaur but way way better), Matterhorn, Incredicoaster, Roger Rabbit, Spiderman and all of Avengers campus (though Avengers is pretty small), canal boats, mr. toad, Pirates and space mountain are better here - the rest you'll be familiar with.
  • Monorail is not necessary, but could actually save you some time if you're at the new DVC - it only has 2 stops, Tomorrowland and right outside Disneyland hotel.
  • Generally better food options in DCA than DL, both counter service and table service. DTD is also right there with a lot of food options, and the hotels have some good food options also
  • Even in the post Fastpass+ days, DLR requires a lot less planning in my opinion than WDW. You can honestly just show up. Only exception is sit-down dining reservations.
  • As others noted, you will never need your car unless you're leaving the resort
  • DLR is not in the nicest neighborhood in the world. There's nothing really to explore on foot or bus nearby. If you want to "tour LA" it'll require a lot of driving... but is super fun! I just wouldn't make that a park day if you're planning to go to the beach or something.
  • Note DLR is actually in orange county, not LA. Laguna Beach for example is closer than Santa Monica or Venice Beach. Hollywood is more than an hour away; just plan accordingly.

I would download the Disneyland App you can look at the map and see what rides/attractions interest you and look into them more if you want

Most HM will be down but Disneyland Pirates is a little better here then at WDW. Big Thunder is about the same as well, we have a better effect on the finale hill but the views from MK are pretty great on big thunder.

You will only need to use a car if your going to Universal Studios or something

Since you will be in Sand Diego if you want a good meal at cute themed restaurants go to Old Town in Sand Diego, it has free parking and is also next to the public transportation system
Thank you so much!

We are spending a few days pre-cruise in San Diego and plan on going to Old Town. Is there a specific restaurant that you recommend? In your opinion, can we see most of Old Town in a few hours?

Here are main things I'd note as different vs WDW:
  • Park hopping super easy - 2 minute walk from front of one park to other. 25 minute walk from the back of one park to back of the other. You can think of it as almost one park - in terms of total area it's not that much bigger than Epcot alone
  • Main rides that you'll want to do that aren't in WDW: Radiator Springs Racers (Test Track but better) and all of cars land, Indiana Jones (Dinosaur but way way better), Matterhorn, Incredicoaster, Roger Rabbit, Spiderman and all of Avengers campus (though Avengers is pretty small), canal boats, mr. toad, Pirates and space mountain are better here - the rest you'll be familiar with.
  • Monorail is not necessary, but could actually save you some time if you're at the new DVC - it only has 2 stops, Tomorrowland and right outside Disneyland hotel.
  • Generally better food options in DCA than DL, both counter service and table service. DTD is also right there with a lot of food options, and the hotels have some good food options also
  • Even in the post Fastpass+ days, DLR requires a lot less planning in my opinion than WDW. You can honestly just show up. Only exception is sit-down dining reservations.
  • As others noted, you will never need your car unless you're leaving the resort
  • DLR is not in the nicest neighborhood in the world. There's nothing really to explore on foot or bus nearby. If you want to "tour LA" it'll require a lot of driving... but is super fun! I just wouldn't make that a park day if you're planning to go to the beach or something.
  • Note DLR is actually in orange county, not LA. Laguna Beach for example is closer than Santa Monica or Venice Beach. Hollywood is more than an hour away; just plan accordingly.
Love this, TY!! I am a super planner and probably overthinking. I just don't want to miss anything :)

Well, the good thing is there's not nearly as much to wrap your head around as if you're familiar with DL but going to WDW for the first time! The entire two-park / Downtown Disney / Disneyland Hotel complex is all walking distance. Once you're at the hotel, whether you drive yourself or get dropped off, that's it; you no longer need to get in the car unless you intend to leave Disney property. No need for figuring out transportation between hotels and parks, either, so no buses or boats or monorails (unless you want to ride the DL monorail, which you should obviously do at least once). And if you have park hoppers, you literally walk out of one park and directly into the other park; it doesn't really cost you any extra time to jump from one to the other.

There are also only two parks, one of which is similar to Magic Kingdom, so you're already sort of ahead of the learning curve with that one. Don't get me wrong, it's different enough that it doesn't feel like you're just visiting another Magic Kingdom, but you probably won't feel like it's an entirely unknown situation. And since there are only two parks, your dates seem to indicate you'll have plenty of time to figure it out as you go without feeling too rushed even if you don't get your head fully around it before you arrive.

In the end, just remember to have fun and soak in all that is different! I've been going to WDW my entire life but DL only for the past five years or so, and I absolutely love both of them. In fact, I'm going to DL in a couple weeks and then WDW in April, and I'm equally excited for both trips because each experience is pretty unique.

PS - just mentally prepare yourself for the disappointment that is a WDW veteran seeing the tiny DL castle for the first time haha. Even after several DL trips, I still chuckle to myself whenever I see Sleeping Beauty Castle, having grown up with Cinderella Castle. But don't miss the great walk-through attraction you can do there!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! GREAT info! I think I might be overthinking - I'm an over planner who needs to learn to go with the flow a little more. I'm always afraid I'm gonna miss something....lol

Are there any particular aspects of the Disneyland Resort that you're having trouble wrapping your head around? Or is the situation so different that you can't even identify what you want to know? We can all help you sort things out!
I think I need to spend more time researching. With WDW having been there so much I can visualize everything. I need to look closer at maps to help me visualize and understand where everything is located and best way to get around walking vs. monorail, location of rides and restaurants, etc.

I am planning several aspects: San Diego (pre cruise), Cruise excursions, trip up coast to LA (post cruise), Disneyland, LA and surrounding. All of which I am not familiar.

Thank you!

I would also recommend follwing SoCalDailyCasey on Instagram or other social (she used be DisneylandDaily but she recently changed her name and has been expanding her non-Disney content). She has lots of different park strategies for all different types of visitors but also lives in Oceanside and has great info for Oceanside and the greater San Diego area as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter