Help! First Visit to Disneyland

I think I need to spend more time researching. With WDW having been there so much I can visualize everything. I need to look closer at maps to help me visualize and understand where everything is located and best way to get around walking vs. monorail, location of rides and restaurants, etc.

I am planning several aspects: San Diego (pre cruise), Cruise excursions, trip up coast to LA (post cruise), Disneyland, LA and surrounding. All of which I am not familiar.

Thank you!
Where are you staying in San Diego? Claim Jumper at the Wyndham Bayside, right by the Port, is another good restaurant. As soniam said, DL won't be that "unfamiliar" just smaller and less walking..

Thank you so much!

We are spending a few days pre-cruise in San Diego and plan on going to Old Town. Is there a specific restaurant that you recommend? In your opinion, can we see most of Old Town in a few hours?
I would say so, Old town is mostly open in the late morning/afternoon. Many shops close at night time unless its a busy weekend

Café Coyote I think its the most popular and its my GF favorite, I personalty have never had a bad meal at any of the Mexican restaurants in old town

I'd say you spend 2 maybe three hours there more if you really look around at every shop.

You can also take the Public Trolley to many places in the city if you don't want to deal with traffic and parking (parking is free at the Trolley area/old town)
https://www.sdmts.com/transit-services/trolley

Other Locations you can get from here that are nice are little Italy (another place where all the food is good), The Gas Light District and Sea Port Village is going to be completely redone in the next year, but is very....very nice especially on sunsets and is near the USS Midway Museum and other little things like "National Salute to Bob Hope and the Military" statues.

Also Sea World, the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park are also highly recommended by would need to drive to those or find a bus or uber to those

As someone above suggested, I would just take some time on the website & explore the park maps. They really help to put the proximity of everything into perspective.

Although DLR can get crazy busy sometimes, I find it much less stressful than WDW. Everything is just right there together & easily walkable. As mentioned, you will want to book any table service dining in the parks 60 days out. It's hard to get a same day walk up for most of the restaurants. I normally book DD restaurants early as well, but you should be able to find last minute availability for those much easier.

My number one tip for your first trip to DL is to make sure & take a few minutes to appreciate the Finding Nemo Subs lagoon. Even if you decide not to ride the subs, be sure to take in the view both in the day & at night. The lagoon is absolutely gorgeous & there is nothing like it at WDW. If you end up riding the monorail (which is super useful when staying at VDH/DLH) you can get a great view from the platform with the Matterhorn in the background. Absolutely stunning!

I would also recommend follwing SoCalDailyCasey on Instagram or other social (she used be DisneylandDaily but she recently changed her name and has been expanding her non-Disney content). She has lots of different park strategies for all different types of visitors but also lives in Oceanside and has great info for Oceanside and the greater San Diego area as well.
Oh nice! Will be checking this out for sure! TY!!
As someone above suggested, I would just take some time on the website & explore the park maps. They really help to put the proximity of everything into perspective.

Although DLR can get crazy busy sometimes, I find it much less stressful than WDW. Everything is just right there together & easily walkable. As mentioned, you will want to book any table service dining in the parks 60 days out. It's hard to get a same day walk up for most of the restaurants. I normally book DD restaurants early as well, but you should be able to find last minute availability for those much easier.

My number one tip for your first trip to DL is to make sure & take a few minutes to appreciate the Finding Nemo Subs lagoon. Even if you decide not to ride the subs, be sure to take in the view both in the day & at night. The lagoon is absolutely gorgeous & there is nothing like it at WDW. If you end up riding the monorail (which is super useful when staying at VDH/DLH) you can get a great view from the platform with the Matterhorn in the background. Absolutely stunning!
Thank you! LOVE all of these tips!

As for the monorail, if I'm understanding it correctly, there are only two stops. So staying at the Villas, we will be able to take the monorail from Downtown Disney to Disneyland Park??

Lots of good advice from the DL Vets.

I get the feeling of uneasiness when visiting a new place. I think you will be surprised at how easy it really is to navigate the parks. Don't over think it, take your time here on the boards, watch YouTube vids, Blogs etc. After a bit, you will reach a consensus on what you and your family will want to do and see.

Last bit of advice, ask lots of questions, we are happy to help. Cheers!

Where are you staying in San Diego? Claim Jumper at the Wyndham Bayside, right by the Port, is another good restaurant. As soniam said, DL won't be that "unfamiliar" just smaller anfd less walking..
We are staying on Coronado Island at El Cordova for two days. Plan on taking the trolley to Old Town, Maritime Museum then evening in Coronado for day 1. Day 2 Trolley to Balboa Park and Little Italy, Gaslight District. Then board Disney Wonder to Mexican Riveria. Following the cruise, we will have a rental car which we plan to take a day driving up coast to Anaheim. 2 days in Disneyland, 2 days exploring LA area. Fly back to Pennsylvania.

That is our plan so far. Still open for ideas and must see :)

Lots of good advice from the DL Vets.

I get the feeling of uneasiness when visiting a new place. I think you will be surprised at how easy it really is to navigate the parks. Don't over think it, take your time here on the boards, watch YouTube vids, Blogs etc. After a bit, you will reach a consensus on what you and your family will want to do and see.

Last bit of advice, ask lots of questions, we are happy to help. Cheers!
Thank you so much! The more I research, the more excited and at ease I feel. This site is such a great source of information.

If you like seafood, Blue Water Grill in Coronado, right across from Hotel Del Coronado.
I saw that when I was researching. Our hotel in right across from Hotel Del Coronado and Blue Water Grill is right by us. There seems to be a lot of restaurants in that area. Would like to rent a golf cart for an hour or two to explore Coronado.

As for the monorail, if I'm understanding it correctly, there are only two stops. So staying at the Villas, we will be able to take the monorail from Downtown Disney to Disneyland Park??
If you're going for rope drop at DL, I don't recommend waiting for the monorail. By the time it starts running, you'll be kind of late entering the park. But, it's so nice for you tired feet at the end of the night. Or to take back & forth for afternoon breaks.

If you're going for rope drop at DL, I don't recommend waiting for the monorail. By the time it starts running, you'll be kind of late entering the park. But, it's so nice for you tired feet at the end of the night. Or to take back & forth for afternoon breaks.
good to know. TY!

Yes, just two stops-- the one in Downtown Disney, and the one in Tomorrowland. Unlike WDW, our monorail is a ride, not really a form of transportation. That being said, *please* please please please go through the Main Gates your first time or two into the park. Nothing beats seeing Main Street, USA, and you'll probably feel a lot more "at home" seeing something that is at least a little familiar. It's not exactly the same as at WDW, but close enough to get that general feeling of "oh, this is something I know!"

Don't get me wrong, Tomorrowland is great. But very different from WDW, and kind of a lackluster way to come into the park for your first time!

Don't get me wrong, Tomorrowland is great. But very different from WDW, and kind of a lackluster way to come into the park for your first time!
I feel like Tomorrowland in DL is sort of lackluster all around, particularly compared to Magic Kingdom, and especially after WDW added Tron. There's an openness and cohesiveness to the MK version that DL isn't close to. Don't get me wrong, there are several things about DL I like more than MK, but this isn't one of them.

Sorry if some of this has already been shared.

Parking hopping is so much better at Disneyland.

The resorts are very close to the parks. The secret gem (shhhhh don't tell anyone) for quick service at Disneyland is the GCH Craftsman at the Grand Cal. You can order a pizza, nachos, etc and eat it there in a quiet and relaxing setting and it's very close to DCA.

In most respects Disneyland quick service is way better than WDW quick service. Don't skip the veggie ronto wrap. They don't have it at WDW and it's delicious (and I'm a lover of eating meat but this is good). Other hits are all over at Sanfransokyo.

Cars land is one of the best lands in all of the Disney parks. Don't miss the sh-boom at dusk. It's an awesome experience.

I'm a newbie to DL but live in San Diego (17 years, and I still - mostly - love it!) - there are lots of good restaurants in Gaslamp, Coronado, and Old Town, and you've got solid recommendations there. April is typically gorgeous, weatherwise. If you're open to Ubering (trust me on this, do not drive - because you'll have to park, and that's just a fool's errand), I wanted to be sure to mention pursuing a daytime walk in La Jolla along the coast. I'd suggest the Coast Walk and/or Children's Pool area to the Cove. You'll be able to see seals and sea lions on the beaches and rocks, and the coastline is just stunning. One other thing - you my also want to watch for various information on wildflowers, given the time of year you'll be here - we may get a heavy wildflower bloom (or even a "superbloom") if El Nino rains continue for the next few months - Anzo Borrego/Julian are the common destinations for locals, but you absolutely do not need to go that far to see them.

We are visiting (staying at the new DVC Tower) April 19-23 following a Disney Cruise out of San Diego. We know Disney World inside and out and have been a million times, but this is our first visit to Disneyland/LA area.

I have been scanning this site and getting lots of GREAT info from ya!

BUT....I am having a hard time changing my brain from Disney World to Disneyland.

Do you have any suggestions on sites or good ways to get a better handle on everything Disneyland and the surrounding area (we are visiting from the East Coast)?

Thanks so much!

Several ideas to consider:
  • Go check out the Disneyland Daily website and follow their account on Facebook or Instagram. Chock full of a LOT of helpful information, including how to maximize your rides and minimize your wait times.
  • Table service dining is not as big of a "thing" as it is at WDW. That being said, Blue Bayou is impossibly hard to get an ADR for. There are fewer TS restaurants compared to WDW. Trader Sam's at the DLH is cool and since you'll be staying there, you should try it out. It's very enjoyable sitting outside at Trader Sam's while enjoying a cocktail there.
  • QS restaurants are way better at DL compared to WDW. Pretty much all of them have mobile ordering just like the WDW ones do.
  • If your budget allows it, purchase park hopper tickets. Park hopping from DL to DCA takes the <5 min to walk from 1 entrance to the other across the esplanade. This makes it especially helpful when 1 park is getting super crowded and you want some wiggle room and need to escape to the other park.
  • If you're going to take advantage of early entry (since you're staying at the DLH), then don't take the monorail from DTD to Tomorrowland. Walk to the main entrance.
  • If your budget allows it, pay for Genie+.
Rides that are better at DL than WDW (in my opinion):
  • POTC
  • HM (I like the queue better)
  • Indiana Jones (way better than Dinosaur)
  • Autopia (better than Tomorrowland Speedway)
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • almost everything in Fantasyland
  • all of Carsland
  • Davey Crockett's Explorer Canoes
  • you can ride the Main Street vehicles until later in the day than at MK
  • Animation Academy in DCA
  • Space Mountain (music is better...you can actually hear it)
My personal favorite place to eat at DL:
Hungry Bear. On the top level preferably at a table near the Rivers of America, so you can hear all of the river activity going by. And the ducks will come beg for hand outs.

My favorite DL ride order in order to minimize wait time:
  • Dumbo
  • Mr Toad
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Snow White
  • Pinocchio
  • Matterhorn
  • (yes, skip Peter Pan, because if you're not in, like THE front of the pack of people at the main gate, then you'll wait 45 min, but you could try for Peter Pan anyway perhaps if you're there at the main gate at the start of your early entry)
  • Star Tours
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • Autopia
  • Indiana Jones (preferably w/Genie+)
  • Jungle Cruise
  • POTC
  • HM
  • lunch break at Hungry Bear or somewhere in Galaxy's Edge
  • Fast choo choo (BTMRR)
  • use Winnie the Pooh as filler ride if wait everywhere else is long
  • take train from New Orleans Square to Fantasyland.
  • check out Toon Town.
  • go on IASW.
  • take train from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland.
  • If you buy Genie+ and have it timed well w/your ride selection, then maybe next you'd go on Space Mountain.
  • LEAVE. TAKE BREAK AT HOTEL. Take monorail from Tomorrowland to DTD, go rest in your hotel room for a couple of hours. If buying Genie+, put alarm on your phone for every couple of hours so you can select the next ride.
  • ~ 4 pm - go back to a park. Doesn't matter which one. Just pick one. Pick whichever one you want to eat dinner at. More rides in evening. Park hop back and forth as wanted.
Min. # of DL resort park days = 3
Better # of days = 4
Not ideal = 2
. But if this is all you can do, it's better than nothing. Just know that you won't do it all. You won't do it all in 4 days either.

#1 tip: don't go to DL expecting it to be like WDW. They're different flavors of ice cream. Both are awesome...they taste similar, but different.

The walk from DLH to the DL/DCA main gates is shorter than walking from the Contemporary Resort to MK.

I think I need to spend more time researching. With WDW having been there so much I can visualize everything. I need to look closer at maps to help me visualize and understand where everything is located and best way to get around walking vs. monorail, location of rides and restaurants, etc.

I am planning several aspects: San Diego (pre cruise), Cruise excursions, trip up coast to LA (post cruise), Disneyland, LA and surrounding. All of which I am not familiar.

Thank you!
Getting around the resort is pretty straightforward, and walking is almost always the best way to get around.

From the DL Hotel, you'll go through security and enter Downtown Disney. You can then either choose to board the Monorail (as noted, more of a ride than transportation, and it will drop you off in Tomorrowland; not a good rope drop option) or walk the length of DTD to arrive at the park gates. They face each other, and when arriving from DTD, DL will be on your right and DCA will be on your left.

At DLR, being there at park opening is much more important than at WDW-the parks typically open at 8 AM (with early entry at 7:30 in one park), and unlike WDW, the parks don't get REALLY crowded until 11 AM or so. You can get more done in that first three hours than the rest of the day, so make sure you use those early morning hours.

If you only have two days, I would skip table service restaurants. DLR has a lot of excellent counter service options, with much more variety than WDW. That said, three days is definitely better if at all possible. DL Park alone could fill two days.

Know what to skip on limited time. The GE attractions, any attraction involving a film, TLM, TSMM, and MMRR, more or less (to my understanding, haven't done the WDW MMRR) are basically the same as their WDW counterparts. Everything else is different, sometimes a little bit, sometimes by quite a lot.

I like starting my DL days in Fantasyland. There are a ton of attractions there, almost none of which have Genie, and you can do them very quickly if you're there first thing. As with WDW, it's quite difficult to get PPF without a line (and no Genie here), so consider skipping it, especially if the line looks prohibitive.

Radiator Springs Racers: the Single Rider Line is a lifesaver here. Otherwise you're waiting an eternity in standby or paying for an Individual Lightning Lane.

LA day(s): strategically locate your activities so as to minimize the amount of driving needed. Use Waze or some other directional app that takes present traffic levels into account. People like to make driving in LA sound like the worst driving experience imaginable, and while it's busy, if you've driven in Atlanta or Orlando, you've probably experienced worse than LA, IME.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter