Hawaii 2020

I was so excited to hear about this until I realized my placeholder expires February 2020 :( Boo....
Still going to try and book one... for some reason I'm thinking these sailings will fill up way faster than they did in 2015 or whenever DCL went to Hawaii last. First of all the timing is better being Spring v. Fall... and I just think so many people have been hearing more and more about Aluani and may want to combine the 2... Also.. so many people have been waiting for DCL to go back to Hawaii and there are only 2 sailings..
We have an Alaskan cruise booked for 2019, about $7000 in an oceanview, 2 adults, 1k. This is with placeholder benefits. Really really curious to see how much these Hawaii sailings will be. Any idea which one will be more popular?
I know several people who want to do the 9 night vs 10 night. My first choice would be the 10 night. My placeholder expires two weeks prior to the first Hawaii sailing. I was so bummed to hear this, but DH and I still want to go. We are contemplating doing the b2b now. I guess we'll decide on Monday after we learn about the prices.

Was it rough seas sailing to Hawaii? I have read that it is very rough seas getting there. Do you recall if this were the case for you? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Worried about this as well plus temps on sea days. Will wait and see what opening day pricing is but we have to wait until Gold booking opens.

Was it rough seas sailing to Hawaii? I have read that it is very rough seas getting there. Do you recall if this were the case for you? Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

We've had worse seas on other cruises. It really depends on whether the weather is bad. We were on the inaugural DCL Hawaiian cruise, and the gift shops sold a lot of jackets.

Was it rough seas sailing to Hawaii? I have read that it is very rough seas getting there. Do you recall if this were the case for you? Thanks!
We didn't have really rough
The only rough day at sea was the first day and my husband and kids were playing in waves in the kids Mickey pool and they had SO much fun. Other then that it was pretty smooth sailing.

Please share what you out about the costs. I would love to do this cruise but our child will be graduating from college during that timeframe. Hopefully DCL will have another such excursion in 2021.

We are in the same boat- LOL, so to speak. I suspect the price may keep us off. We shall see...

I really don't remember having rough seas on the way to Vancouver, but I take my Bonine nightly.

We actually got lucky with our OBB, it expires 5-12-20 and the cruise sails 5-8-20, we made it by the skin of our teeth.
For our 2015 Hawaii cruise, our OBB expired a week before, I was so annoyed.
I hate dealing with the OBB desk on the last day of the cruise, so we usually do it super early in the cruise to avoid the crowd.
But those few days can make the difference 2 years later.:scared:

I think what you are asking is not so much the three trips in a row (SD to Vancouver, Vancouver to Hawaii, Hawaii to Vancouver) - which I think would be allowed but would also be insanely expensive. I'm not sure that DCL would block this. But definitely, San Diego to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Hawaii would not be allowed.

There is a woman who lives on the Magic all summer. I don't think DCL cares what people pay.

for those of you that did Hawaii before with Disney how much time do you get on each island

Id like to find out what types of tours Disney offers

weve been to Hawaii several times never on a cruise though but there are still things wed like to do--

any tips or advice would be great

thanks all

Is there a chance these cruises will sell out before silver castaway club gets to book?

Possible...but I don't think super likely that it 100% sells out.

I do think (combining how people have been clamoring to return to Hawaii along with how quickly some of the more unique and OMG reactions when released some of the 2019 Europe itineraries sold categories and jumped in price) it's very likely that a) some categories may sell out and b) the prices of the remaining categories may jump at least hundreds from the first quotes.

for those of you that did Hawaii before with Disney how much time do you get on each island

weve been to Hawaii several times never on a cruise though but there are still things wed like to do--

thanks all

We've had two nights on Kauai and two nights on Maui. This was on American Hawaii, which unfortunately went out of business because of the tourism downturn following 9-11. Their itineraries included two things that DCL doesn't: they had a night-time sail past the active volcanoes, and the lava glowed in the dark. Definitely a highlight of the cruise. They also sailed past the Napali coast of Kauai. It's unfortunate that DCL hasn't included those in any of the Hawaii cruises they've done in the past.

We rented cars on both Maui and Kauai, so it was easy to do our own thing without paying DCL prices.

DCL does have top-notch shore excursions, tho one of the bus drivers on Oahu said DCL planned to do two Hawaiian cruises per month. Yeah, right. We went to the botanical gardens in Kauai, and the DCL tour guide was amazing. We've also taken a helicopter tour of Kauai, driven to Hana on Maui, and "tubed the ditch" -- again something you can do on your own. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...ountry_Adventures-Hanamaulu_Kauai_Hawaii.html

Since you've been to Hawaii several times I assume you've eaten at Mama's Fish House on Maui, visited Fern Grotto on Kauai, hiked Waimea Canyon, been to Volcanoes State Park and the Macadamia Nut plantation on the Big Island, surfed in Waikiki or the north shore, and visited the Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu.

There's so much going on in Hawaii, especially compared to any of the Caribbean Islands DCL visits.

Last edited:
We have been on the Hawaii cruises, and I don't remember the seas being rough. Our cruises were in the fall, though, September and October. The rough seas is always the concern I have with booking the TA cruises.

thanks all

It varied with the sailings. I know the 2nd 2015 cruise had an overnight on Maui, so 2 days there, with one day each for Hilo, Big Island and Nawiliwili, Kauai. This cruise originated in Honolulu so folks could spend as much time there as they wanted BEFORE the cruise began. In general, you get a day in each port at each of the major islands. The ashore hours can definitely vary from island to island though.

Is there a chance these cruises will sell out before silver castaway club gets to book?

Just judging from past DCL Hawaii sailings in 2012 and 2015, I would be shocked if any of the categories except MAYBE concierge sold out during the CC opening day bookings. I think you will be fine unless you have your heart set on 1 particular stateroom or something like that. I hope Dug720 is right that these Hawaii sailings will sell faster than the previous years so that DCL will do them a little more often maybe! :banana:

Just judging from past DCL Hawaii sailings in 2012 and 2015, I would be shocked if any of the categories except MAYBE concierge sold out during the CC opening day bookings. I think you will be fine unless you have your heart set on 1 particular stateroom or something like that. I hope Dug720 is right that these Hawaii sailings will sell faster than the previous years so that DCL will do them a little more often maybe! :banana:

The other thing to keep in mind is DCL's 72 hour hold policy. There will be a percentage of cabins put on hold but never receiving a deposit and becoming available again.

Of course by that point, odds are the price will have increased...and will not drop back to the original pricing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter