Hawaii 2020

Any one remember what prices were in '15?

Prices were very reasonable. I was on the Vancouver to Hawaii cruise. But don’t want to give you the wrong info for the prices as it’s been three years and don’t remember. They were almost giving the cruises away to cast members to try to fill the ship and they still couldn’t fill the ship.

I wonder if anyone is planning to do a b2b to Hawaii? I called DCL this morning regarding a current reservation that I have and decided to ask about Hawaii and b2b's. I was told we could do b2b from Vancouver to Hawaii and back, but not from San Diego to Vancouver and then b2b to Hawaii.

I wonder if anyone is planning to do a b2b to Hawaii? I called DCL this morning regarding a current reservation that I have and decided to ask about Hawaii and b2b's. I was told we could do b2b from Vancouver to Hawaii and back, but not from San Diego to Vancouver and then b2b to Hawaii.
They won't let you book the three cruises in a row?

They won't let you book the three cruises in a row?

No because there is no distant foreign port. It violates one of those maritime acts.

Not really.

Even though the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) doesn't allow San Diego/Vancouver/Hawaii B2B, it does allow San Diego/Vancouver/Hawaii/Vancouver. I've read that DCL won't allow that particular 3 cruise B2B, but it's legal. I think DCL got burned pretty badly with they started the Alaska cruises (from Seattle) with the legalities of the PVSA, they just won't allow it in any form.

The reason the 3 cruises together would be allowed is that the PVSA looks at the whole trip as one trip (even though it's 3 different cruises). It only would see that the passenger got on the ship in San Diego, and got off the ship in Vancouver. A cruise that has a foreign port as it's embarkation or debarkation port doesn't fall under the PVSA law.

We considered doing the two Hawaii cruises b2b as we usually vacation 2 weeks at a time. But the dates of the cruises, adding in time needed to fly in from the east coast requires us to take off too much time - really wish I was retired or better yet won the lottery! The thought of doing it b2b with the next sailing (which I am assuming will be the first Alaska sailing crossed my mind.)

I will say that this is about the time of year when they did their first Hawaii cruise (was that 2012?). Those were roundtrip from LA and the ocean crossing was cold (and rainy); so I imagine starting or ending further north will make it that much chillier. So that also played into us deciding if the b2b was worth our vacation time. (We're still going on one, just trying to figure out which one is a better use of vacation days.)

Not really.

Even though the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) doesn't allow San Diego/Vancouver/Hawaii B2B, it does allow San Diego/Vancouver/Hawaii/Vancouver. I've read that DCL won't allow that particular 3 cruise B2B, but it's legal. I think DCL got burned pretty badly with they started the Alaska cruises (from Seattle) with the legalities of the PVSA, they just won't allow it in any form.

The reason the 3 cruises together would be allowed is that the PVSA looks at the whole trip as one trip (even though it's 3 different cruises). It only would see that the passenger got on the ship in San Diego, and got off the ship in Vancouver. A cruise that has a foreign port as it's embarkation or debarkation port doesn't fall under the PVSA law.

Oh, ok. It's so confusing.

Perhaps DCL's concern about allowing those 3 trips in a row is that if a passenger later cancels the Hawaii-Vancouver cruise, the trip becomes San Diego-(Vancouver)-Hawaii, which does violate the PVSA because it transports passengers from San Diego to Hawaii without a distant foreign port.

I think what you are asking is not so much the three trips in a row (SD to Vancouver, Vancouver to Hawaii, Hawaii to Vancouver) - which I think would be allowed but would also be insanely expensive. I'm not sure that DCL would block this. But definitely, San Diego to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Hawaii would not be allowed.

It's always tough to guess the pricing, but I would think it will be something in the range of $6,000 for two in an inside....

I assume then that DCL didn't do the round trip to Hawaii again:( The 15 night round trip to Hawaii with a stop in Mexico was a great trip and airline tickets to LAX were very cheap both ways. I believe that a flight to or form Hawaii would add significant cost to the trip, unless flights to Hawaii have gone down. Wonder why they don't do the round trip, the sail time isn't much different than a PC cruise.

Also back in 2012 an inside room went for roughly 4400 for 2 adults, think a veranda was a bit under 8000. That initial cruise sold out quick, and to be honest we were really lucky to get a room, had to look multiple times a day and hope a room opened up:)

I assume then that DCL didn't do the round trip to Hawaii again:( The 15 night round trip to Hawaii with a stop in Mexico was a great trip and airline tickets to LAX were very cheap both ways. I believe that a flight to or from Hawaii would add significant cost to the trip, unless flights to Hawaii have gone down. Wonder why they don't do the round trip, the sail time isn't much different than a PC cruise.:)

Disney wants guests to stay at Aulani either before or after their cruise.

As for flights, SWA should be flying to Hawaii by 2020, which will hopefully provide some competition.

Perhaps DCL's concern about allowing those 3 trips in a row is that if a passenger later cancels the Hawaii-Vancouver cruise, the trip becomes San Diego-(Vancouver)-Hawaii, which does violate the PVSA because it transports passengers from San Diego to Hawaii without a distant foreign port.
Well, they can program the computer to kick out (void) any B2B reservations that would violate the PVSA. Other cruise lines do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter