Hawaii 2020

I think what you are asking is not so much the three trips in a row (SD to Vancouver, Vancouver to Hawaii, Hawaii to Vancouver) - which I think would be allowed but would also be insanely expensive. I'm not sure that DCL would block this. But definitely, San Diego to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Hawaii would not be allowed.

This. I suspect the reason they are not allowing it is as was stated just above. A person could book the three, then cancel the Hawaii to Vancouver leg, making it against the Act. I suppose they could allow it and make the third non-refundable AND alert guests that if they cancel it, the other legs would be cancelled as well and make it very clear so no one could say they did not know. But because someone will always claim that - and then video their meltdown at embarkation in San Diego for their 15 minutes - I doubt Disney is willing to take that chance. Ergo no B2B2B allowed on this one.

I was so excited to hear about this until I realized my placeholder expires February 2020 :( Boo....
Still going to try and book one... for some reason I'm thinking these sailings will fill up way faster than they did in 2015 or whenever DCL went to Hawaii last. First of all the timing is better being Spring v. Fall... and I just think so many people have been hearing more and more about Aluani and may want to combine the 2... Also.. so many people have been waiting for DCL to go back to Hawaii and there are only 2 sailings..
We have an Alaskan cruise booked for 2019, about $7000 in an oceanview, 2 adults, 1k. This is with placeholder benefits. Really really curious to see how much these Hawaii sailings will be. Any idea which one will be more popular?

Last edited:

Not really.

Even though the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) doesn't allow San Diego/Vancouver/Hawaii B2B, it does allow San Diego/Vancouver/Hawaii/Vancouver. I've read that DCL won't allow that particular 3 cruise B2B, but it's legal. I think DCL got burned pretty badly with they started the Alaska cruises (from Seattle) with the legalities of the PVSA, they just won't allow it in any form.

The reason the 3 cruises together would be allowed is that the PVSA looks at the whole trip as one trip (even though it's 3 different cruises). It only would see that the passenger got on the ship in San Diego, and got off the ship in Vancouver. A cruise that has a foreign port as it's embarkation or debarkation port doesn't fall under the PVSA law.
Interesting, I never knew that. Disney used to sail out of Seattle and had issues? I know a lot of other cruise lines that still sail out of there, what happened with Disney?

Interesting, I never knew that. Disney used to sail out of Seattle and had issues? I know a lot of other cruise lines that still sail out of there, what happened with Disney?
The second year that Disney did Alaska, they sailed out of Seattle. There were a large number of people who booked the LA/Vancouver, Vancouver/Seattle B2B. When I saw that people were saying they booked those cruises, I urged them to contact DCL again and strongly request that DCL check with their legal people to confirm that those two cruises were legal.

DCL said they confirmed with their legal people that it would be OK. Then, about a month or two out from the first cruise, DCL informed everyone that one or the other of their cruises would have to be cancelled. Many people, of course already had air flights and hotel reservations based on their original travel plans.

DCL, from what I read, helped cover lost monies for many of those inconvenienced people. They also learned the lesson that they are not above the law. Something that the other cruise lines that have done those itineraries for years already knew.

The second year that Disney did Alaska, they sailed out of Seattle. There were a large number of people who booked the LA/Vancouver, Vancouver/Seattle B2B. When I saw that people were saying they booked those cruises, I urged them to contact DCL again and strongly request that DCL check with their legal people to confirm that those two cruises were legal.

DCL said they confirmed with their legal people that it would be OK. Then, about a month or two out from the first cruise, DCL informed everyone that one or the other of their cruises would have to be cancelled. Many people, of course already had air flights and hotel reservations based on their original travel plans.

DCL, from what I read, helped cover lost monies for many of those inconvenienced people. They also learned the lesson that they are not above the law. Something that the other cruise lines that have done those itineraries for years already knew.
Oh wow that sounds like quite the mess!

I looked back to my confirmation email from our 2015 Hawaiian cruise and for a category 04B room we paid $11,182.96 US (2 adults and 2 kids) and that is including tips and transportation to and from the ship. Each adult was $4220 and each child was $900. We also had to add flights and the exchange rate (as we are Canadian) which brought us closer to the $20,000 mark.

Last edited:
I said before the Hawaii cruises were very reasonable. I looked through my old email and I still had it. It was 3235.48 for a 11 a for my wife and I. I’m pretty sure it was with the 10 percent off. This is just the cruise no insurance, no transportation. I think that is a reasonable price for back than with 10 nights on a Disney Hawaii cruise.

I really wish the Hawaii cruises were just one week later. Our son will (well he better anyway!) graduate from college the day after the second one leaves. That would have made for a pretty sweet graduation present. I'd love to spend several days with stops in Hawaii and ultimately end up in Vancouver which we loved so much when we visited there last summer.

Oh well. Not in the cards for us. I keep trying to find a Disney cruise I want to take, but it just hasn't worked out in a while. Maybe some day.

I think what you are asking is not so much the three trips in a row (SD to Vancouver, Vancouver to Hawaii, Hawaii to Vancouver) - which I think would be allowed but would also be insanely expensive. I'm not sure that DCL would block this. But definitely, San Diego to Vancouver, then Vancouver to Hawaii would not be allowed.
Yes! Thank you for clarifying this for me! :-)

I looked back to my confirmation email from our 2015 Hawaiian cruise and for a category 04B room we paid $11,182.96 US (2 adults and 2 kids) and that is including tips and transportation to and from the ship. Each adult was $4220 and each child was $900. We also had to add flights and the exchange rate (as we are Canadian) which brought us closer to the $20,000 mark.
It sounds like a lot at first but I guess it is 10 nights and a family size verandah...
Guessing it would be substantially lower for an inside... but I don’t know if I can do 10 nights in an inside...

I really wish the Hawaii cruises were just one week later. Our son will (well he better anyway!) graduate from college the day after the second one leaves. That would have made for a pretty sweet graduation present. I'd love to spend several days with stops in Hawaii and ultimately end up in Vancouver which we loved so much when we visited there last summer.

Oh well. Not in the cards for us. I keep trying to find a Disney cruise I want to take, but it just hasn't worked out in a while. Maybe some day.
That’s really too bad :(
Hope you find something that works soon!

I said before the Hawaii cruises were very reasonable. I looked through my old email and I still had it. It was 3235.48 for a 11 a for my wife and I. I’m pretty sure it was with the 10 percent off. This is just the cruise no insurance, no transportation. I think that is a reasonable price for back than with 10 nights on a Disney Hawaii cruise.
Will be so interesting to see how much they have gone up!
I wish I still had my obb but it expires feb 2020... so if we book have to pay full price.
We are gold now so shall find our in a couple of days!

My family and I were on the DCL 2015 Hawaii cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii and we LOVED IT! I hope we can go back in 2020!!!!
If I remember correctly we paid around $20,000 for a family of 4 and that included flights to Vancouver and flying home from Hawaii (with a verandah room)

Was it rough seas sailing to Hawaii? I have read that it is very rough seas getting there. Do you recall if this were the case for you? Thanks!

I believe that a flight to or form Hawaii would add significant cost to the trip, unless flights to Hawaii have gone down. Wonder why they don't do the round trip, the sail time isn't much different than a PC cruise.

Having done the DCL Hawaii cruises in 2012 and 2015, I believe that a great many passengers wanted to experience more of Hawaii than just a number of hours per major island from a cruise ship. Two 1-way cruises definitely allows for this. :cutie: Though as a longtime DVC member I had already stayed at Aulani a few times before the 2015 one-ways to/from Hawaii, I flew in a couple of days early w/DD#2 so we could experience Aulani a couple of nights before we boarded the Wonder in Honolulu. Both sailings were fabulous! And as an aside, we were seated with several ladies that had booked b2b's including our 10 night HNL/YVR cruise. :flower:

Was it rough seas sailing to Hawaii? I have read that it is very rough seas getting there. Do you recall if this were the case for you? Thanks!

Per a Navy veteran, the Pacific has a much bigger current than the Atlantic, which tends to be choppy seas. The Pacific has a major current that heads southward from Alaska all the way down well the California coast before looping out into the Pacific. This can cause rolling, which makes folks more ill than the more commonly occurring bow to stern motion.

All that said, DD#2 was with me for the HNL/YVR 10 nt. Hawaii cruise in 2015 and she has suffered quite severe motion sickness since she was very small. She went well prepared with Bonine (started taking the day before the cruise began), homeopathic motion sickness meds, which she felt did help a lot, and then we got the onboard acupuncturist to place what is called acupuncture "seeds", which were tiny, tiny round adhesives that had a little acupuncture/acupressue type nib. They were placed on her temples and a couple around her ears as I recall. DD swears they really helped her. And the cost was under $50 at that time, a bargain IMO. She was instructed to gently press on 1 or 2 strategic "seeds" if she started to feel any nausea. She did very well on our 10 night cruise. Until we got a couple of days out from YVR where the current was quite strong and at that time (Sept) we had quite rough seas. I love it, but she did have a rough evening. The F & B officer sent sliced green apples and crackers to our stateroom for her. If you asked her if she would do it again, she would tell you a definitive, "YES!". :cutie: She said she would just get the acupuncture "seeds" placed right at the beginning of the cruise. We didn't even know about them until a few days into the cruise and someone in the spa mentioned them. Hope that helps! :flower2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter