Has it been a year already...Snowmedic's Feb. - March 2017 pre-trip, trip report.

How far is Cocoa Beach from WDW?

It is about an hours drive, tolls are, I believe 12.00 round trip, not sure as we have the sunpass. The restaurant is called Dogs R Us and is in Port St. John just south of Kennedy Space Center on hwy. 50. It's not a sports bar, but they do have tv's playing the different games. They have burgers, wings and of course hot dogs and draft beer.
We highly recommend the fried mushrooms, that's also one of the reasons we drive 1500 miles, have to go there at least once while we are here. And kids under 12 eat free.

We went resort hopping today and DD was so impressed by the other resorts pools. Did not get the dole whip, will have to do that later in the week.
Went back to Cocoa Beach for a late lunch/early dinner at the port. We ate at a place called Fishlips and it was really good. We where sitting outside on the second floor and watched this leave the port.

image.jpg image.jpg

After dinner we went and did some shopping at the beach stores then headed back to camp. When we arrived back we decided to drive to the Springs. Did some browsing and drinking and dropped another small fortune at Sosa's.
came back to camp and are now ready to turn in.

Today was another down day for us. DD wasn't feeling well and got sick a couple times during the night. At about 10 we got her to lay back down and take a little nap, we left one of our phones with her,( we bring 3 on vacation thinking if one carrier doesn't work the others should, especially driving down I-87 in NY), and a note that told her to call if she got up before we got back from the hot tub, there was nobody up there. And the pool opens at 9 now. So we hung out around the Fort to wait on a piece of mail that was over nighted to me, even on vacation I can't get away from work, and I will be back in like 6 days. So anyway, we had the 1 ADR that was made back in Nov. at the Rainforest Cafe tonight. The food was awesome, I had the steak, can't remember the actual names of the dishes, DW had some sort of shrimp and fish and DD had the kids hot dogs. She only ate her orange wedges and applesauce, still wasn't feeling well. Some sweet tea for DD and cocktails for Dw and I in the souviner glasses.

After Rainforest, it was drinks at Dockside and more cigars from Sosa's. Dw is trying to decide on a purchase from Arribas Brothers, the glass blowing place behind Ghirardelli's. And a Build A Bear from T-Rex for DD.

While walking around at the Springs we decided that on our next trip we want to try Paddlefish. Any suggestions or comments about the place would be nice. I remember it as Fulton's, but never have eaten there.

Sitting outside at the picnic table while I type this, it is 9:05 pm and just watched the people about 2 sites over and on the inside of the loop, I'm on the outside near the road that takes you to the full loops, they got off the bus and cut through between me and the site next to me to get to theirs. Sometimes one has to wonder if people have actually been camping before, and if they have they should know not to walk through other sites whether someone is there or not, or if it is their first time and don't give a crap, there going to do what they want.

Anyway, I'm doing ranting. Talk to you in the morning. Snowmedic

Sounds like a good time for most of the time. However the DD getting sick is not fun. My DD got sick once on vacation. We were in Myrtle Beach are a few years ago. She had an ear infection. Luckily, I had noticed a CVS with the minute clinic while we were out and about a few days earlier. The place was about 5 minutes from the campground we were staying at. The whole family loaded up in the truck and drove over to the CVS. Of course the DGPs needed to come per the request of her royal highness. :) The nurse got her all fixed up with some meds and relieve. She was back to herself probably within a day. The rest of the vacation could continue. Luckily with my parents being there, my dad was able to take care of her so we could go out for the night with my mom for her Birthday. SO I know the feeling...

We have been busy trying to get in as much fun as we can before we head home on Friday. Today we went back over to Cocoa and did the Twister air boat ride off of 520. That was fun and educational for DD. She can write a report about what she learned while on the ride.

007 copy.jpg 014 copy.jpg 015 copy.jpg

After the air boat ride we had to stay for lunch, Gator meat, yum. Then we headed back to camp for a couple hours before our next outing, the Orlando Eye.

023 copy.jpg 026 copy.jpg 031 copy.jpg

The views where spectacular. After we came back to camp and had dinner at the site then headed down to the beach. We missed the fireworks, they where at 8, but we did get to see the water parade. Even though it is the same year after year it is still enjoyable.

Tomorrow has us starting to break down camp for the long ride home. As I said before, we had site 1643 on this trip and back in Oct. 2015. We set up camp a little different than last time. I can't load pics of last time until I get home, different computer this trip.

016 copy.jpg

018 copy.jpg

019 copy.jpg

This is a projector screen that I hung from 2 trees in front of the site, it is actually one of the walls from our ez-up.

020 copy.jpg

You can see the little orange projector in the bottom of the picture, that is what one of my daughters and her husband got me for Christmas.

032 copy.jpg 037copy.jpg
038copy.jpg

It is a fireworks display with sound that they found at Lowe's. I have gotten a lot of compliments from both young and old on how much they like it.

Also did a meet up with @disneydizzy2 , very nice lady and loved her lab. As I was talking with her the lab sat down right beside me and let me pet him the whole time. I enjoyed it, I miss my "little" basset, all 70 pounds of her. Still have to get over to 1003 and meet @Boomer1 , have been by several times with no one around. In the two weeks we have been here I have only seen one other person from VT. They actually live about 25 minutes from me and the next town over from where I go for work in the morning. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day here at the site, we leave out Friday morning. Til tomorrow, good night. Snowmedic.

Here ya go Vince, from your 2015 setup.

003-copy-jpg.127511

vacation-2015-002copy-jpg.127512

vacation-2015-004copy1-jpg.127514

Thanks Tiggerdad, I think the way I have it set up now works out a lot better. With the tent right up against the driveway we aren't getting any of the coquina in there.

We have been running a break neck schedule, DD22 is spending her spring break with us and flys home tomorrow, so we have been getting our money's worth at the parks. That said we plan to be around later this afternoon and evening so she can prepare to fly home. I will try to swing by or hang out around the site.

We have been running a break neck schedule, DD22 is spending her spring break with us and flys home tomorrow, so we have been getting our money's worth at the parks. That said we plan to be around later this afternoon and evening so she can prepare to fly home. I will try to swing by or hang out around the site.

We will be around the site mast of the day. We have 2 more ressie's tonight then down time, after the Springs.

Taking out first load of gear to the storage unit and trying to decide on what to have for lunch when DW spotted a restaruant that we eat at with my sister in Destin, Hurricane Grill, right near Sea World.

We went resort hopping today and DD was so impressed by the other resorts pools. Did not get the dole whip, will have to do that later in the week.
Went back to Cocoa Beach for a late lunch/early dinner at the port. We ate at a place called Fishlips and it was really good. We where sitting outside on the second floor and watched this leave the port.

View attachment 223936 View attachment 223937

After dinner we went and did some shopping at the beach stores then headed back to camp. When we arrived back we decided to drive to the Springs. Did some browsing and drinking and dropped another small fortune at Sosa's.
came back to camp and are now ready to turn in.

Isn't she a beauty! When I need a DCL fix, I will bring up the Port Canaveral webcam and watch the ships sail out of port.

Also did a meet up with @disneydizzy2 , very nice lady and loved her lab. As I was talking with her the lab sat down right beside me and let me pet him the whole time. I enjoyed it, I miss my "little" basset, all 70 pounds of her. Still have to get over to 1003 and meet @Boomer1 , have been by several times with no one around. In the two weeks we have been here I have only seen one other person from VT. They actually live about 25 minutes from me and the next town over from where I go for work in the morning. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day here at the site, we leave out Friday morning. Til tomorrow, good night. Snowmedic.

Terrific meeting you as a well! As you could tell we take things ....s l o w.... as I had my PJ's on still. I'm starting to behave like the I fell in love with!

Safe travels home and thank you for helping make our first trip such a success!

Yeah Vince, thanks for having us along with you as always. Maybe our paths will cross next March.

Breaking down the site is always a sad affair. While I have been enjoying this thread with popcorn in hand, I too am sad to see this trip report wind down as well. I speak not for myself but all of us. Let all start a Go fund me page to keep @snowmedic at the Fort to keep this thread going LOL Have a save journey home once camp is packed up and you are on your way home.

Let all start a Go fund me page to keep @snowmedic at the Fort to keep this thread going

:thumbsup2

Today was our last full day at the Fort. After taking some of our camping equipment to storage we came back and went swimming for a while then went to TE for dinner. As usual the food was excellent and the service was great. Our server was Kevin from Tallahassee, and he made sure we didn't run out of sweet tea. I think we had a total of 12 mugs on the table. DD actually ate so I did not feel that paying full price for her was not worth it. After dinner we went over to the Settlement playground so she could have some fun with the other kids there. For our last ressie at the Fort we went on a carriage ride, and that was real nice. We did make it over to the Poly for Dole Whips, and even though we were stuffed from dinner they still tasted great. We got the souviner bowls, thanks again Bama Ed. Tomorrow will have us up early, 6 a.m. to finish breaking camp and then heading out for our final ressie of the trip, breakfast at Whispering Canyon at the Lodge. I think that will be a good way to end a great trip.

Thanks to all that have followed along, I now a lot was not about Disney or the Fort but it was part of the trip and I wanted everyone to share in it. We will be arriving back home to Vt. in the cold and snow on Saturday evening and I will post my final thoughts on this first of two trips of the year then.

Till Saturday evening, have a wonderful night and maybe, hopefully, we will have a chance to meet some more great Dis folks later in the year. Snowmedic

Safe travels back to Vermont. Went by your site yesterday, guess you were at the pool. I have enjoyed your trip report and perhaps we will meet in person another time.

Safe Travels!! I always hate the last day, but at least you already have another trip planned, that should help.

I'm in the middle of figuring out which ADR's I want for our October trip since I have to book them in a few weeks and DH just called to tell me our tax guy let him know this morning we are getting back way more than expected. fifteen years of marriage and you'd think DH would have been smart enough to wait until after it's too late to make more ADR's before telling me this! Hello lunch in the castle....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter