• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone waitlisted 11 months out and NOT gotten it?

I completely "get it" and I've been following this thread from the beginning. My reading comprehension skills are actually pretty good when I've had enough coffee, thank you very much.

I also own at BWV. I also book during fall frenzy (either October or the first two weeks of December). I completely understand how difficult it is to get a standard view at BWV at any time of the year but particularly for those dates. My point is that your "solution" is not a solution to the lack of availability on the first day that an 11-month window opens. If other members have booked up those views because their stays begin before yours, then you just aren't going to see availability when you go to book. That's not solvable by giving someone a leg up on the wait list because they expressed a preference for those dates.

This is how it works with a points-based system. You sacrifice the guarantee of villa for your preferred dates in favor of having the flexibility to use those points however and whenever you please. You cannot have it both ways. People have been noting for some time now that booking a reservation has become more and more difficult in the past few years due to savvier DVC members, the increase in the number of rentals and the convenience of being able accomplish on the website what it once took several minutes on the phone with Member services. What you are proposing is implementing a system that tilts the table in favor of people like yourself who were not fortunate enough to get their first choice but apparently "want it more" than the other people who also added their name to the wait list.

What's your suggestion for possible options? I made one which you obviously disagree with but non the less a suggestion (which I agree might not be great). Anyway, my thought was somewhere in between a fixed week and the current point system. What comes to mind is simply giving each member a preference, similar to a room location request. No guarantees but a preference.

This is even more common with AKV Value and Club, even moreso than BWV Standard.

I think the issue here is that you're acting like you have a right to "dibs" on a week, versus other people making perfectly valid bookings with their home resort points the date booking opens for a given set of dates, when the real issue is that for some resorts, there is a definite demand cycle where October-December is the center of the bell, but points are sold based on 365-day occupancy.

And you won't "fix" that in a points-based model. Even when they sell fixed weeks, they limit how many units can be pulled for fixed week buyers.

This is even more common with AKV Value and Club, even moreso than BWV Standard.

I think the issue here is that you're acting like you have a right to "dibs" on a week, versus other people making perfectly valid bookings with their home resort points the date booking opens for a given set of dates, when the real issue is that for some resorts, there is a definite demand cycle where October-December is the center of the bell, but points are sold based on 365-day occupancy.

And you won't "fix" that in a points-based model. Even when they sell fixed weeks, they limit how many units can be pulled for fixed week buyers.
Of course, already addressed multiple x 2 times. I'm gonna walk my reservation this year.

Unfortunately the only way to be sure to get what you want at BWV during busy DVC weeks at 11 mos out is to “walk” the reservation. I don’t like having to do it either, but it’s not against the rules and “when in Rome”....

I wish DVC would change the rules to disallow any changes or modifications to the dates of a reservation more than 10 months prior to arrival. That would stop the vast majority of the walkers, and still allow for modifications made to accommodate airline reservations, etc and should be relatively easy for MS to implement. It would also reduce the calls to MS during busy booking periods and thus save Disney some $$.
As I've said many times, make each change a cancelation and rebooking OR other consequences to changes such as a fee. A VIP system also gives one the potential of fixing it for the individual if they decide to ante up.

Yes, it happened to me on a 1 bedroom BWV but I backed up with pool view, for the week during the F&W 1/2. If we decide to go that week again I will definitely walk if that is still an option.

As I've said many times, make each change a cancelation and rebooking OR other consequences to changes such as a fee. A VIP system also gives one the potential of fixing it for the individual if they decide to ante up.

I know, LOL, but I don't like any of those proposals. I'd like to retain the ability to drop a day or two to adjust for better airfare.

But of course, what we think is best hardly matters. I don't see DVC changing anything until/unless they see calls to MS increasing to the point that they have to hire more CMs. I am still 100% convinced that is the reason online booking finally became available to us.

Yeah. Realistically, booking at 11 months, Southwest hasn't even opened your dates for booking. And they're not the only ones.

I know, LOL, but I don't like any of those proposals. I'd like to retain the ability to drop a day or two to adjust for better airfare.

But of course, what we think is best hardly matters. I don't see DVC changing anything until/unless they see calls to MS increasing to the point that they have to hire more CMs. I am still 100% convinced that is the reason online booking finally became available to us.
That's the thing, you won't fix this by nibbling around the edges. The only way to fix it is to make it hurt for those that want to make changes. Otherwise it'll continue to get slowly worse. And given that any other change is a cancel rebook (different resort or different room type), it really doesn't make sense to allow adding to a current reservation in the one situation olone. Reducing within the current reservation is more reasonable.

But it's not official, and it's 2 years old. So.

Are you suggesting that it's worthless then? I'll argue that it is VERY useful. And of course it's official because it used actual data to create it.

Given that DVC usage is dynamic, it's at best a guide. Still, it's very useful.

Are you suggesting that it's worthless then? I'll argue that it is VERY useful. And of course it's official because it used actual data to create it.

Given that DVC usage is dynamic, it's at best a guide. Still, it's very useful.

It isn't official, because it's not using internal data, and it's a snapshot of a single moment in time. As you say: DVC use is dynamic. I would use caution relying on some of this data on the outside use cases (7 months or less), as Fall Frenzy is getting longer, and certain room types are getting harder all the way through. The property now known as Boulder Ridge is seeing some shift as well. Saratoga is even shifting, with the reallocation.

Pete is aware of the respect I have for these charts, and none of this is in any way negative towards those charts. But they are fundamentally anecdotal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter