• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone waitlisted 11 months out and NOT gotten it?

Sorry - I totally was not reading it that way. I guess that could make sense.

I guess those who have been impacted by others walking reservations would be on board for the restrictions -- I guess there are probably only certain resorts and room types or certain times of the year (Sept - Marathon) where walking is a bit more prominent.

Not all. I've been affected by walkers so prevented from getting right at 11 months. How do I know? Because as I mentioned above I waitlisted - or just noticed it open a few days later and booked it then. And the times I haven't gotten it then oh well. But I have booked something else then. I understand I bought into a system with flexibility and no guarantees of any particular room on any old day I want it. And getting the room in the past is no guarantee of getting it in the future. As it stands I know how to better my odds or even virtually guarantee getting the reservation should I wish.

However I think much of the tightening of availability has to do with people recognizing the greater pressure and so they are booking earlier. In the end, it's a point system with no guarantees.

I also think spec rentals during peak DVC times is having an impact on availability. I see a lot of brokers listing these lately.

Not necessarily due to walking. Anyone who is legitimately checking in sometime in the week prior to you has first dibs on the rooms so there's less rooms for the people looking to check in on the days you are. If it were only walking then the people would walk past the dates and you'd be able to get them a week later. Walking can help you get in on the group that gets the room but in itself the rooms being gone when you want them is partly just the way booking is done now as up to 7 days from date of check in. But then no one is guaranteed a particular room on a particular day at any of the older resorts. Part of not having guaranteed weeks.

As you say, typical timeshares are for guaranteed weeks. Maybe DVC could offer each member to choose a certain week or two as a preference at their home resort in advance. No guarantee but just a preferential time period that would give the member some sort of priority for that time frame. Let's say you go to book your preferred week and it's not available. You then waitlist that week and DVC flags it as home resort members preferred week with priority. I think it's doable.

As you say, typical timeshares are for guaranteed weeks. Maybe DVC could offer each member to choose a certain week or two as a preference at their home resort in advance. No guarantee but just a preferential time period that would give the member some sort of priority for that time frame. Let's say you go to book your preferred week and it's not available. You then waitlist that week and DVC flags it as home resort members preferred week with priority. I think it's doable.
They do have it. It's called a fixed week and only a small percentage of members have purchased contracts with it. It wasn't offered in the beginning of DVC but PVB and VGF offered it. Perhaps others. I never investigated fully because it was not a consideration for me.

They do have it. It's called a fixed week and only a small percentage of members have purchased contracts with it. It wasn't offered in the beginning of DVC but PVB and VGF offered it. Perhaps others. I never investigated fully because it was not a consideration for me.

I didn't know that but wouldn't be a consideration for me also. I'm talking about something with more flexibility. Just a preference you can change yearly at some point.

I didn't know that but wouldn't be a consideration for me also. I'm talking about something with more flexibility. Just a preference you can change yearly at some point.

How are you thinking that would differ from the current waitlist? I.e., an owner goes to book and if not available sets up a waitlist? That in essence tells DVC you want to go that week if a room becomes available. And you can set up a waitlist for two different times or else two different rooms.

Anyone with a fixed week can choose to use their points in another manner and forfeit their claim to the villa & week that they own under their contract. Judging by the low number of fixed week contracts sold, the majority of members are not interested in it.

Members already have the 11-month home resort advantage. If they cannot book their preferred villa, they can create a waitlist for it long before anyone who does not own at their resort. That already gives them preference over other DVC members. How would DVC determine who among all of the BWV owners gets to be the first in line when they all want a week in a std. view studio during fall frenzy? You only end up with the same mad scramble for a finite number of rooms during a high-demand period.

Anyone with a fixed week can choose to use their points in another manner and forfeit their claim to the villa & week that they own under their contract. Judging by the low number of fixed week contracts sold, the majority of members are not interested in it.

Members already have the 11-month home resort advantage. If they cannot book their preferred villa, they can create a waitlist for it long before anyone who does not own at their resort. That already gives them preference over other DVC members. How would DVC determine who among all of the BWV owners gets to be the first in line when they all want a week in a std. view studio during fall frenzy? You only end up with the same mad scramble for a finite number of rooms during a high-demand period.

Let's say you get to pick a week or two as a preference with certain room type at your home resort. This is saved in your DVC Member profile. When waitlisting this would give you priority over others who have wait listed for the same time frame but do not have that time frame as preference in their profile. Of course there are high demand periods. In that case your waitlist goes in the queue same as always, first come first serve but with priority over others that have not selected that week(s) in their profile.

This brings up an interesting question. What weeks, resorts, room type would be the most requested. Probably BWV studio standard in October.

Let's say you get to pick a week or two as a preference with certain room type at your home resort. This is saved in your DVC Member profile. When waitlisting this would give you priority over others who have wait listed for the same time frame but do not have that time frame as preference in their profile. Of course there are high demand periods. In that case your waitlist goes in the queue same as always, first come first serve but with priority over others that have not selected that week(s) in their profile.

This brings up an interesting question. What weeks, resorts, room type would be the most requested. Probably BWV studio standard in October.

No. Marathon week and W&D half weekend. Easily.

Kind of a "I want it more" type thing?

To be fair in any sort of way, although this idea isn't actually one I agree with, there would have to be some type of priority fee that was paid that went back to offset dues for everyone. But that wasn't how BWV was sold. As mentioned above, if one wants a fixed week it is sold as an option at other resorts.

I also agree that Marathon weekend and Wine and Dine/Jersey weeks would likely be most requested. Then probably the first 2 weeks in December. I personally go for Boardwalk view in a studio and either Standard or Boardwalk view in a 1 BR when we stay there. Haven't ever done a standard view studio so haven't been competition for you. :goodvibes

Kind of a "I want it more" type thing?

To be fair in any sort of way, although this idea isn't actually one I agree with, there would have to be some type of priority fee that was paid that went back to offset dues for everyone. But that wasn't how BWV was sold. As mentioned above, if one wants a fixed week it is sold as an option at other resorts.

I also agree that Marathon weekend and Wine and Dine/Jersey weeks would likely be most requested. Then probably the first 2 weeks in December. I personally go for Boardwalk view in a studio and either Standard or Boardwalk view in a 1 BR when we stay there. Haven't ever done a standard view studio so haven't been competition for you. :goodvibes
Thanks for not competing- LOL

So someone who "called dibs" would get to leapfrog over everyone else on the wait list, even if they entered the wait list months later? And you see that as being more fair than the current system, which gives every owner an equal opportunity to enter their wait list request at the same time?

So someone who "called dibs" would get to leapfrog over everyone else on the wait list, even if they entered the wait list months later? And you see that as being more fair than the current system, which gives every owner an equal opportunity to enter their wait list request at the same time?
No, not months later and every owner would get to choose a preferred week. Yes, I think is fair.

DVC is sold under the premise that there aren't commitments.

I cannot imagine the Disney IT systems with that sort of arrangement, where it's a "preferred" week. Or two. But then you have to opt in or out before the 11 month date.

Or, rather: I can imagine the Disney IT systems, and it is a freak show of horror.

No, not months later and every owner would get to choose a preferred week. Yes, I think is fair.
How is it MORE fair than the current system? If it doesn't improve things for the greater good, why go to the trouble and expense of implementing change? IMO, it only serves to make a select few who have found themselves boxed out of their preferred view and dates happy. I see no reason why one owner should be given a wait list preference over another with the exception of being able to wait list at your home resort before other members who do not own there.

Last edited:
The whole discussion started with home resort priority not working at 11 months for what whatever reason including others walking reservations. Just discussing possible options. I don't see any suggestions other than the current system already handles this. It doesn't!!

The whole discussion started with home resort priority not working at 11 months for what whatever reason including others walking reservations. Just discussing possible options. I don't see any suggestions other than the current system already handles this. It doesn't!!
Of course it doesn't work when you do like the OP and never bother creating a wait list!!!!! Your suggestion does nothing to change the fact that the villa the OP wanted was already booked up by the time the 11-month window opened because other people who also own at BWV had gotten there first. Had the OP made a wait list for that villa right at 11 months, it might have gotten filled during the following months. And if walking was occurring, they might have had their wait list filled within a couple of days of making it!

Of course it doesn't work when you do like the OP and never bother creating a wait list!!!!! Your suggestion does nothing to change the fact that the villa the OP wanted was already booked up by the time the 11-month window opened because other people who also own at BWV had gotten there first. Had the OP made a wait list for that villa right at 11 months, it might have gotten filled during the following months. And if walking was occurring, they might have had their wait list filled within a couple of days of making it!
You just don't get it. I own at BWV and I do waitlist. I've been a DVC Member since 2003 and I go every October. If you took the time to look at the tread you might understand that the discussion is about. The discussion is about owners having difficulty booking at the first second their 11 month window opens and waitlist still not coming through. Years back it was never a problem. Now it is. I have never walked a reservation. I'm on the computer at 6:45 am waiting for the window to open but this year the waitlist(which I never had to do before), didn't come through DA..

You just don't get it. I own at BWV and I do waitlist. I've been a DVC Member since 2003 and I go every October. If you took the time to look at the tread you might understand that the discussion is about. The discussion is about owners having difficulty booking at the first second their 11 month window opens and waitlist still not coming through. Years back it was never a problem. Now it is. I have never walked a reservation. I'm on the computer at 6:45 am waiting for the window to open but this year the waitlist(which I never had to do before), didn't come through DA..
I completely "get it" and I've been following this thread from the beginning. My reading comprehension skills are actually pretty good when I've had enough coffee, thank you very much.

I also own at BWV. I also book during fall frenzy (either October or the first two weeks of December). I completely understand how difficult it is to get a standard view at BWV at any time of the year but particularly for those dates. My point is that your "solution" is not a solution to the lack of availability on the first day that an 11-month window opens. If other members have booked up those views because their stays begin before yours, then you just aren't going to see availability when you go to book. That's not solvable by giving someone a leg up on the wait list because they expressed a preference for those dates.

This is how it works with a points-based system. You sacrifice the guarantee of villa for your preferred dates in favor of having the flexibility to use those points however and whenever you please. You cannot have it both ways. People have been noting for some time now that booking a reservation has become more and more difficult in the past few years due to savvier DVC members, the increase in the number of rentals and the convenience of being able accomplish on the website what it once took several minutes on the phone with Member services. What you are proposing is implementing a system that tilts the table in favor of people like yourself who were not fortunate enough to get their first choice but apparently "want it more" than the other people who also added their name to the wait list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter