Has anyone been 'kicked out' at closing time?

Enjoying a very empty Mainstreet on May of 2015.
me1_zps8grnihjt.jpg
ElsaColon -- your pic is so unique and original. You couldn't get away with that any other time of the day! I think you've started a brand-new trend -- "Main Street Lounging."

It wasn't until our last trip, in January 2014, that I was able to hang out long enough to be one of the last guests leaving and snap a few of those empty park photos myself.

A couple of factors worked in my favor that time.

1. It was January, not December, so parks were closing earlier than usual. (Read: I am a wuss.)

2. There was an unusually cold cold front hitting the parks that night. From Colorado and well-prepared, we didn't mind all the laying, hats, and gloves that kept us comfy.

3. My daughter and I convinced the tired, cranky boys to stay behind. Usually if they are in tow, they don't have the patience to let the park empty.

We hopped on Big Thunder as the last ride of the night minutes before the close time of 9:00. When we got off and started back to Main Street, all of Frontierland was empty,

IMG_6020.JPG

and we made our way through Liberty Square where behind us CMs pulled a rope across

IMG_6026.JPG

to the Partners Statue to wait for the Kiss Goodnight.

IMG_6034.JPG

Then we waited some more. It was in the upper 30°s at this point with a good wind, so there were not a lot of folks with us. Everyone seemed to head for the exits after the Kiss Goodnight.

We saw CMs putting up rope barriers at each of the lands from our vantage point in the hub, presumably because they'd swept the area and all guests were out.

IMG_6035.JPG

What was really fascinating to us was watching the ducks emerge from the water areas to the hub. They have apparently tasked themselves the job of cleaning out any popcorn from the tracks once most of those pesky guests have cleared out. You can't see them too well, but there are half a dozen in this shot:

IMG_6038.JPG

With flash:

IMG_6039.JPG

There seemed to be about a dozen other folks doing the same thing, we were just at the very back making our way to the gates.

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6041.JPG

We got on the last monorail of the night or we might have lingered a bit longer.

All the CMs were very friendly and we weren't encouraged to leave Main Street at any point.

No extra staff needed for us, we know the CMs' closing pattern. They start at the back of the lands and sweep forward toward the hub, then up Main Street. We follow the same path. We don't necessarily stay that late every night we're in the park, just when Franklin has specific photos he wanted to take. Especially for Halloween/Holiday decor.

Heck, in May, I grabbed a Grey Goose slushie in the World Showcase before Illuminations and just wandered around sipping for about an hour afterward while Franklin took nighttime photos of the Flower and Garden topiaries.

To be clear, we're NOT HIDING in the parks, hoping to get to stay longer than Disney allows for. Just simply adhering to the way Disney closes its parks.

Disney isn't adding to a CMs day by sweeping guests out of the park, those sweeps take that long anyway and are built into the CMs' schedules.

Thank you! We'd never do anything that would break Disney's rules and risk getting banned from the parks! We go way too often to let something like that happen.[/QUOTE]

PPM Response: I don't think (?) anyone is suggesting that you be banned and I at least don't think you are breaking any rules. My point is that if say 10,000 or more people also want to stay 90mins to 2 hrs after closing (perhaps unlikely but maybe not on early close nights) then I think things would soon change as it would likely impact staffing levels / costs and pose increased security issues.

The sweeps may be built into the schedule, but the park is still closed. Just like we have to sweep out guest when the store I work at closes. Yes, we too are scheduled after official closing time. Yes, we will help anyone who continues to shop. No, no one likes it and everyone wishes people would go home at the official closing time. Yes, it is rude to linger, no matter how nice the employees are being to you. They have work to do that doesn't involve guests. And after a short period of time you are keeping them from leaving.

You have hours to enjoy the park. Hours that are posted. That is when you should enjoy the park. Not 2 hours after closing.

No extra staff needed for us, we know the CMs' closing pattern. They start at the back of the lands and sweep forward toward the hub, then up Main Street. We follow the same path. We don't necessarily stay that late every night we're in the park, just when Franklin has specific photos he wanted to take. Especially for Halloween/Holiday decor.

Heck, in May, I grabbed a Grey Goose slushie in the World Showcase before Illuminations and just wandered around sipping for about an hour afterward while Franklin took nighttime photos of the Flower and Garden topiaries.

To be clear, we're NOT HIDING in the parks, hoping to get to stay longer than Disney allows for. Just simply adhering to the way Disney closes its parks.

Disney isn't adding to a CMs day by sweeping guests out of the park, those sweeps take that long anyway and are built into the CMs' schedules.

Thank you! We'd never do anything that would break Disney's rules and risk getting banned from the parks! We go way too often to let something like that happen.

PPM Response: I don't think (?) anyone is suggesting that you be banned and I at least don't think you are breaking any rules. My point is that if say 10,000 or more people also want to stay 90mins to 2 hrs after closing (perhaps unlikely but maybe not on early close nights) then I think things would soon change as it would likely impact staffing levels / costs and pose increased security issues.[/QUOTE]
Don't you think those cast members would like to go home. Everyone in that park has a job to do and you just hold them up by taking your time. You think those employees staying late ushering people out are not being paid, do you think they have no families to get home to or maybe they are just exhausted and want to go home to get some sleep.

Can't speak for all the parks but I know that the Ice Cream parlor and a couple of other places are generally open 40 minutes after park closing at MK. I know I got my Ice Cream at about 12:35 and sat on the curb at Town Square to eat it. The park closing time was 12 and I left about 1 AM. I am sure Disney has run the numbers and they know roughly how many people will be in the parks late and staff accordingly. I would also guess that if I would have been there at say 1:30 or so they would have been nudging me toward the exit.

Since nobody has directly connected the dots on this...

If guests are not supposed to still be in the park after closing time,
why do they perform the "Kiss Goodnight" (often multiple times, a half-hour apart) well after MK has been closed?

My grandson was a intern CM at WDW 3 years ago.He said he was instructed to politely tell folks the park was closed and ask if they needed help to find way to main exit.He was not to say you must leave park.He was to stay in his work area and not approach guests,only to speak to those who approached him with a question or saw folks who looked like they needed help.He said the only folks asked to leave were obviously very drunk and were a danger to others or themselves.He also said obscene behavior can get you a quick exit such as flashing,mooning,and inappropriate touching of other guests.Kicked out was not in Disney speak book,guest removal from property is.He said in his entire internship he saw no guests removed because they lingered in park after closing time..Also Disers please don't ask me his name or areas he worked I can't tell you.He worked all 4 parks in food service is all I can say.:):):)

I've gotta admit that in my younger days, I got "encouraged to leave" a few times.This has happened at all 4 parks. At MK, I went to Frontierland after Wishes, just grabbed a rocking chair, rocked and listened to the music. Next thing I knew a security person was visiting me. "I bet you'd like me to leave". "Well, yes, that would be a good idea" In that case I just lost track of time. At AK, I was taking a quiet stroll on the Tree of Life Trails after closing. Next thing I knew, a CM "suit" appeared out of nowhere and blocked my path forward. That's when I retreated, embarrassed, and headed for the exit. Epcot wasn't so bad-I was just sitting after Illuminations and finally walked out with some CMs, who closed a bridge to WS behind me. And at DHS, a CM was telling me ALL about his job (Disney security-retired from NYC police force) and actually made me leave the park late. His story was interesting, but long!

Years ago we toured the Mk with Pal Mickey. He told us of the Kiss Goodnight, so we decided to stay and watch it. Various CMs would talk to us, and we explained to each one that Pal Mickey had told us there would be a Kiss Goodnight. When we asked them when it occurs each CM gave us a different time. When it happened, it wasn't exactly what we were expecting, so we stayed even later, waiting for the Kiss. Sure enough, some time later we watched the Kiss again. The point I'm trying to make is that many CMs spoke to us but we were never rushed.

My grandson was a intern CM at WDW 3 years ago...
Disers please don't ask me his name or areas he worked I can't tell you.He worked all 4 parks in food service is all I can say.:):):)

Ahh, a "senior moment."
Don't worry, maybe you will be able to remember his name in a day or two.

Oh,

......................Never Mind

Emily_Litella-792387.jpg

Last edited:
Dang Robo your right but I am getting old and confused more than I would like to admit. :oops::)

The way I look at it is that, if Disney (the Company) was concerned about it, they would be more proactive in doing something about it. From my perspective, they obviously view the perceptions of their guests as more important than the perceptions of a few disgruntled ex-employees. I strongly suspect that some of the special moments that occur after 'park closure' do more to bring guests back than what they experience when the crowds are at their thickest.

And, for that matter, if I worked at the MK, I would rather work a 6:00 PM - 2:00 AM shift than a 4-12 shift anyway. That schedule would actually give me MORE time to spend with my family when they are awake.

The way I look at it is that, if Disney (the Company) was concerned about it, they would be more proactive in doing something about it. From my perspective, they obviously view the perceptions of their guests as more important than the perceptions of a few disgruntled ex-employees. I strongly suspect that some of the special moments that occur after 'park closure' do more to bring guests back than what they experience when the crowds are at their thickest.

And, for that matter, if I worked at the MK, I would rather work a 6:00 PM - 2:00 AM shift than a 4-12 shift anyway. That schedule would actually give me MORE time to spend with my family when they are awake.
When I worked there, you did not have a choice when to work. You will work 12 hr shifts, 6 hr shifts, 8 hr shifts, back to back ( close at night then open the following morning). You have to put yourself into the employee shoes. How would you feel if you worked on Christmas eve and could not get home to your family because some visitors decide to take their time exiting and take pictures of everything (happened to me where disney closed at 8:30 Christmas eve and I did not get home till midnight due to the large crowds not wanting to leave and wanting to take group pics of everything). Had to work the next morning at 8:30 for another double shift.

Christmas Eve is an extreme situation. I have to think 350 days out of the year it's not that big of a deal. But, I've never worked there. I do, however, see advantages to working a couple of hours when virtually no one is around, as opposed to working them when the crowds are at their thickest.

Christmas Eve is an extreme situation. I have to think 350 days out of the year it's not that big of a deal. But, I've never worked there. I do, however, see advantages to working a couple of hours when virtually no one is around, as opposed to working them when the crowds are at their thickest.
True there are some advantages but the best shift was opening. Crowds are lower, not as hot, no cleanup after shift, you leave when it's still daylight. I hated the night shift because I was in school at UCF while working there. It's a 20-30 min drive to get to my place on campus. That drive at night was horrible. There were fewer employee shuttles at night and the corridors were extra ripe at night from all the waste flowing all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter