Harry Potter and Back to the Future -- in England!

Day 5 continued

More creatures:

95913963-B4AF-45FB-AEAF-997A6FF41D9E.jpeg7B46321A-F08B-46BE-AE17-87E15A5E2DA4.jpegDDC5F9EA-7D94-41D5-A678-8D228365206C.jpegC4F85765-2284-4D4F-9C72-CFAEB0C80DC3.jpegDD046908-F449-4AFA-981A-9D10F7786455.jpeg

035494D5-E687-4485-A53C-742DD24BE50F.jpeg58233486-5864-45A3-BA15-EA86625D7639.jpegEC2A6502-00FA-4228-A072-FE00D5340403.jpeg

Attachments

• 91FF7229-290B-4093-B83A-DB5659CB2D54.jpeg
    91FF7229-290B-4093-B83A-DB5659CB2D54.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2
Day 5 continued

My favorite area: Gringotts. There was also a dragon that looked real and blasted fire. I am not smart enough to upload that video unfortunately— it was my favorite moment.

A5E3C310-F613-4FB3-8EF9-F789CBAF3B3C.jpeg
1DB8DFF0-91FA-47A5-A711-8049AD427E0C.jpeg
9971F64F-5F9B-41D5-8311-9F5EC03A3539.jpeg
45D72891-5969-4F66-8298-82BA9BA55628.jpeg

B6D2DB00-556E-439D-B2BB-5063BCB020A1.jpeg
19E9D4AA-48B3-476A-A6EE-8789A55CE13B.jpeg
9A51F0CF-9F4B-4FEF-B7D7-4AFFCFC3507D.jpeg1CDBF139-D37D-458F-B1B9-17A0BF6739F3.jpeg

Day 5 continued

On to Hogsmeade!

CACB89EC-DA81-490F-8DCC-888749B2B631.jpegAF456E11-626A-4777-B2EC-2EA6C8D37E90.jpeg817F9153-C52D-4408-983F-EC956F944F99.jpegB6B28E06-4B61-40B6-820E-175E857EF688.jpeg40672450-79D7-4068-B9CF-A58B1A26B9C2.jpeg

Attachments

• DD2EEEB3-C609-45AC-8645-B1665E6F26D7.jpeg
    DD2EEEB3-C609-45AC-8645-B1665E6F26D7.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2
Day 5 continued

The last main room is the huge model of the castle. We had to stop and exclaim wow! So amazing. A583AC84-BA4F-4037-9DB3-C0C600633426.jpeg32A86083-9701-4DBD-9DC2-491CD46A83E2.jpeg378E4701-5C71-4C8E-97DE-83E7FD2F20E2.jpegCC7DC456-FBB3-4FC5-8B5F-972E3C7403DD.jpegCD539853-B344-4599-B16C-F16DF221B9FD.jpegAAF77672-3CD3-41DD-8186-B189B5561CDA.jpeg9D4C2869-94B6-4C7F-BD67-33FC333315CF.jpeg3A620391-4677-4C7B-81E4-C141C563D326.jpeg4750FE11-7BF6-4660-AB8C-2B6F6849B7B7.jpeg

Day 5 conclusion (what?!?!)

The last little room is Ollivander's... each wand has a name of the 4,000+ people who worked on the movies. I do not know if there is some kind of map or anything that shows who is where, but I turned and immediately saw the one wand I would have wished to find. :love:

BCD7CBC9-063F-4C85-B3C4-581B5AD6CFBF.jpeg

At
2E4055E5-59EA-4C2F-B93F-72A9208416FC.jpeg

At this point, we were exhausted but so happy. I had many more pics I have not posted and many many more I did not even take -- just so much to see! I highly recommend this tour -- but book EARLY if you're going to do it! It does sell out. We booked it as soon as we had our dates for the trip set. Hightly recommend!

Tomorrow: Raold Dahl and I screw up AGAIN.

Day 6

Davy is a big fan of Raold Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, the BFG, etc.). So, we took a short train trip to Great Missenden to take a look at his museum and hometown. We got to the train station and our train had been canceled. Davy ran to the restroom while I tried to figure out the best way to go. We had arrived early and I found a train leaving like NOW. So, as soon as Davy stepped out of the restroom I grabbed him and we RAN. Barely made it, but we did.

It was a pleasant ride on the train. We were earlier than we expected to the museum wasn't open yet. There was a great map at the edge of town that told us things we might want to see. We decided to hike up the big hill in town to the Great Missenden Parish Church to find Raold Dahl's grave. Part of the Parish itself is something like 1,000 years old:

great missenden 9.jpg

great missenden 8.jpg

We had read that he IS what the Big Friendly Giant story was based on as he was HUGE -- and that there are large footsteps around his grave that are supposed to be his. That is indeed true. there is a lovely tree and bench around it with a quote from Dahl around it and then his footsteps from the tree to the grave. It was a beautiful walk to the church and the setting was so peaceful:

Dahl gravesite.jpg

dahl gravesite 2.jpg
dahl gravesite 3.jpg
dahl gravesite 4.jpg
dahl gravesite 5.jpg

Day 6 continued....

The town was just lovely and walking around it was one of our favorite parts of the trip:
great missenden 7.jpg

great missenden 6.jpggreat missenden 5.jpggreat missenden 4.jpggreat missenden 3.jpggreat missenden 2.jpgGreat Missenden.jpg

I stopped and looked at a realtor's office about prices of the small homes (and some big homes) around here. WHEW, were they expensive! Of course, I'm from the midwest, so our housing is relatively cheap.

Davy 6 continued....

The museum was finally open, so we headed in. It is geared a LITTLE more to smaller kids but there was still plenty for us to see and interact with. dahl museum 5.jpgdahl museum 4.jpgdahl museum 3.jpgdahl museum 2.jpgdahl museum.jpg

After buying a few souvenirs, we took a map of the town and found some Dahl-specific sights. The timber-framed building was Raold Dahl’s inspiration for Sophie’s “norphanage” in The BFG:

Sophie's norphanage.jpg

The Great Missenden Library was visited regularly by Dahl’s Matilda while her mum went off to play bingo:

matilda's library.jpg

The petrol pumps inspired the description of the garage in “Danny the Champion of the World.”

danny's petrol pumps.jpg
At this point, it was still pretty early (11ish I think) and we wanted to go to lunch. There was a pub I was thinking about but they didn't open until noon and we were hungry NOW. We had seen Matilda's Bistro Cafe across the street from the library and decided to give it a try. It was pretty full but they had seats and service was fast. We decided to have breakfast and it was delicious. Then, as a hot chocolate lover (and it was actually chilly outside so weather for hot chocolate-- which was strange because we had the week when there was some chill now and again - the weeks around it there were massive heat waves around England), I ordered one. Davy passed (crazy kid!). IT was THE MOST AMAZING THING I have ever drank. I seriously thought about getting another but Davy wanted to get going. I still dream of it:

matilda's hot chocolate.jpg

Even the marshmallows were the best I ever tasted. Simply heaven.

We took the train back to London. We were meeting Ginny for dinner and then a ride on the Eye -- I had booked the expensive ones -- no waiting in line and can show up any time. I had meticuluosly looked at opening times before we left..... ANYWAY, we had extra time, so Davy, since he missed it the first time, wanted to see a few items at the British Museum. Another great experience there:

Davy British Museum.jpg

Davy 6 continued....

Then, it was time to go to dinner. We ate on a ship (that did not move and of course I cannot remember the name of) but had a great view of the Eye. We ate in the formal dining room but there was some casual dining above. The food was amazing. Great view:

the eye.jpg

Then, after watching the Eye for a time, we decided to mosey on over and ride it... and.... it was closed! AACK! So, once again, I screwed up. And ,this time, we had no time to get back here to ride and use our pre-paid tickets. Again, Ginny and Davy were so nice about it. Both said they weren't THAT excited about riding it (I think Davy was fibbing as he usually loves to go up high). So, anyway, we took some fun pictures and strolled back home. We had had a fabulous day despite another screwup on my part (I am just going to blame COVID for my fog brain -- never had so many screw ups that were my fault on a trip before!)

eye pics 3.jpgeye pics 2.jpgeye pics.jpg

Tomorrow: Oxford (and more Harry Potter!) on the 4th of July, a mix up that was NOT my fault for once, and some scary news from back home.

Day 7

We were off to Oxford! Ginny, Davy and I jumped on the train and we were off. As soon as we started walking, we saw beautiful buildings:

oxford.jpg

We ate at a pub called the White Wig -- a spoof on solicitors in England wearing white wigs. It was very good.

Davy and I were doing a Harry Potter Oxford tour and Ginny was doing a general Oxford tour. Both of the tours were to start at 1 pm and end at 3 pm. Our tour startings points were next to each other. We were just going to text and keep in touch. Before we separated, however, we stopped in this bookstore nearby that I really wanted to go to:

blackwell bookstore.jpg

There were actually two buildings -- one for books and coffee/snack shops (the main shop) and another one for art and comics. Davy bought a game at the comic store. I, amazingly, did not buy anything. A first, really. But, it was an amazing shop.

Then, we got a snack and people watched until time for our tour.

Our tour guide gave us different things we could wear... robes, scarves, hats. Davy looked handsome:

Davy in Gryffindor robe.jpg

Right before we left, a two young ladies joined us last minute. One was in a wheelchair. Our tourguide look puzzled (I would understand why later). But, we were off.

First sight.... we saw the Oxford Tower (not sure of exact name....) that is from the 11th Century. It is attached to a chapel -- where Shakespeare attended his godchild's baptism.

oxford tower.jpg

Across from the tower was a several-hundred year old wooden shop. It is now a hat shop. It used to be an inn -- Shakespeare stayed there and the owners are the one whose child was baptized with Shakespeare has the godfather. This shop is also the inspriation for Ollivander's wand shop:

wooden shop.jpg

We stayed between these buildings for a LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGG time. The tour guide said some sights we would be seeing... including Turf Tavern, which is the inspiration for Three Broomsticks and where Bill Clinton "did not inhale." I was excited about seeing that in particular. I heard it was an amazing tavern. So, the tour guide then asked tons of trivia questions (Davy won most of those and got some chocolate for it). Then he told lots of stories about JK Rowling as he had met her a few times. But, after a bit, I started getting restless. We were doing A LOT of talking and not much SEEING. I guess our tourguide could tell because he said this would be the most we would stand around. FINALLY, we took off. The wheelchair had a tough time navigating some of the cobble stoned streets. And, at one stop at one of the colleges, she could not get up to see the view the rest of us did:

oxford 2.jpg

Next, we headed to the Covered Market. We went to see this amazing cake shop:

covered market 5.jpgcovered market 4.jpgcoverend market 3.jpgcoverend market 2.jpg

Last edited:
Davy 7 continued

covered market.jpg

Saw Alice's White Rabbit as well:

white rabbit.jpg

We toured the main square and chapel. Our tour guide told us lots of interesting stories about films made around this area. Can I remember one now... nope. LOL. But, it was beautiful. After the chapel, he realized he could not get the wheelchair out the way the rest of us could go. It took quite a long time to go around and get her out. He also had to talk to some folks for a long time.... I had a feeling we were going to go into a building but could not because of the wheelchair.

oxford main square 3.jpgOxford main square 2.jpgoxford main square.jpg

oxford chapel.jpg

oxford chapel 2.jpg

Next we were off to the Bodleian Library where the infirmary and Yule Ball dance rehearsal was filmed for Harry Potter.

Bodleian Library 3.jpgBodleian Library 2.jpgBodleian Library.jpg

Day 7 continued

I forgot to mention above, this area was also used for some library scenes. Also here, Sir Francis Drake’s wood from his ship was used to make this chair in pics below. You can see this actual historic artifact in Dumbledore’s office in the movies.

sir frances drake chair.jpg

Thenm we were off to see the grand finale.... Christ Church Cathedral. Many Harry Potter scenes were filmed here. We walked to the gate... and, they wouldn't let the wheelchair in. So, we walked to the other side where they would.... and, then we walked back to where we were at the start. This took quite a long time and I looked to see I had a message from Ginny -- her phone was not working right but she sent the message she would meet us at the end of the tour (3 pm) where we started... and I noticed the time... 3:01... and we had JUST gotten to Christ Church. Crud! I texted her (not knowing if she could get it) that we were apprently running way late on the tour and would try to find her after -- do her own thing if she'd like.

We then took a comfort break and used the restrooms -- which our tour guide called the most exclusive in town as you had to have a ticket for a tour and a code to get in them! Anyway, Davy and I kind of RUSHED through this -- and missed some outside sights as we didn't want Ginny to wait TOO long and had no idea how to find her.

The ladies with the wheel chair missed the gardens and this famous site as well:

christ church 2.jpgchrist church.jpg

I really felt sorry for the other ladies and realized they were just waiting for our tour guide for a LONG time. He then did a few more trivia questions (some were historical, which of course, Davy knew). He then told us a few sights inside to see from the film and he was off. He was a good tour guide overall.... but, a few issues. First, I realized he did NOT take us to the tavern I wanted to see. Second, he sucked up to everyone on tour... but us... until he found out I am an attorney. Then, he too being an attorney, suddenly wanted to chat. I also heard him trying to get a job with one of the guys on tour whose wife works for Apple and why they were there. He REALLY sucked up to that guy and his kids (his wife was working). BUT, at least two of these things were made up for later.... He also had told us many things to do around Oxford... but most of them would be closed before the tour ended. He said everyone really should take two days to see Oxford -- so much to do (and apparently most things shut down at 4 or 5 pm!).

Meanwhile, Davy and I were off to explore as fast as we could. You will likely recognize some of these sights from the movie... part of the dining hall... a staircase that was featured... where they had Quidditch lessons.....
oxford hp5.jpgoxford hp4.jpgoxford hp3.jpgOxford hp2.jpgOxford HP.jpg
We then RAN back to our starting point... which took some time. We got there over an hour after our tour was supposed to finish (and we really rushed the biggest thing!). No sign of Ginny. We texted her. Nothing. We waited a bit and figured she knew where we were going for dinner so maybe she'd meet us there... finally, though, a text. She could not get a signal at all on her phone for some reason, so she went back to the train station. I said, "well, let's meet up." She said, no, she just wanted to go back to the flat (and this was our last night in England!). Well, not really our fault about all of it... but, ok. So, we decided to run back to the Covered Market where our tourguide showed us an amazing chocolate shop and a milkshake/smoothie shop. Off we went! To heck with dinner! Dessert first!

We got our chocolate and then went to the milkshake shop. We saw the guy whose wife worked for Apple and his kids. His kids asked us if we would hang out with them. They were much younger than Davy but he was happy to do so. The guy then told me our tourguide had been texting him and was going to meet up with us. Interesting. I said we wanted to go to the tavern we missed and he said that the tourguide was going to take us there. Sweet!

So, our tourguide arrived. He told me that the wheelchair had, indeed, thrown him for a loop. They can accommodate one but need advanced warning. He was not sure whether she had informed the company of the wheelchair or if the company forgot to let him know.... but, he could not take her everywhere and had to stall for time and skip some areas there was no way to get the wheelchair into. I felt bad for her and us. But, lucky for us at least, he was going to take our little group on more of the tour now.

We first went to the Bridge of Sighs -- I forgot that I wanted to see it too as I have been to the original in Venice. Beautiful!

bridge of sighs.jpg

Just to the left of this pic, there is a small, dark alleyway.... the inspiration for Knockturn Alley. I thought I had gotten a pic, but it was blurry and awful. Sad about that. But, this was also the way to the Turf Tavern I had wanted to see, so I at least got a pic of the sign leading into the alley:

alley to turn tavern.jpg

Love that sign! LOL.

Day 7 continued:

Next, we finally got to the tavern. I regret that we did not eat here later... but, we were pretty full from the milkshakes!

turf tavern 3.jpg

turf tavern.jpg

I was trying to get other pics of the seating areas but they did not turn out well. Ugh. But, some funny signs out front:

turf tavern 2.jpg

turn tavern.jpg

I was pretty darned happy we got to see this place. I really want to go back. We did a bit more walking with our tourguide telling us all kinds of interesting facts.... and, I can't remember one now. LOL. But, it was great fun and more fun with a smaller group.

oxford after 5.jpg

oxford after 4.jpg

oxford after 3.jpg

oxford after 2.jpg

oxford after.jpg

Our tourguide was going to take everyone to the bookstore we had already been to and also show them Harry Potter books in Latin -- Davy had already seen them back home -- he takes Latin and his teacher has them. We decided it was finally time to head back to London.

When we got home... I got a text from a friend of mine.... his family was in Chicago in the neighborhood 4th of July parade when someone went on a shooting rampage... and, he could not reach his parents or aunt and cousins who were there. One of his cousins is the producer of the Game of Thrones -- I did not ask if it was his mom specifically, but I could tell from his text he was worried. Luckily, his family was not hurt - but several were killed or wounded. I am sad our country's love of guns has led to all of these mass shootings.

After we found out my friend's folks were ok, we realized we were STARVING. Ginny had already eaten (Anglesea Arms), so we went to the pub we went to the first night. It was delicious again.

davy last dinner.jpg

So ended our last night. I realized it had not been a long enough trip. And, that next time, I wanted to see more of the countryside. We will be back one of these days! Tomorrow... I reflect on our trip and we wait FOREVER to get through customs!

Last edited:
Day 8

We got to the airport and waited.... it really was a lovely airport with lots of shops and food places. We enjoyed waiting honestly. Then, we flew back... watched more movies... slept some... My knee swelled up like crazy. Very painful and I had to stand up a lot. Davy's teeth hurt him again. Finally, we landed in Chicago. Customs was nothing like in England. The line was MASSIVE. Took us a couple of hours. We had a long layover thankfully. After, we ate a bite and then headed home to KC. My Jason was there waiting for us. We were exhausted and glad to be home!

I had thought about our trip during our wait...

Favorite moments in England:

1. Wimbledon. It is so charming and intimate. Things I could not tell as easily watching this on TV for 40 or so years. My favorite moment was actually watching the practice courts.
2. Back to Future the Musical. Amazing special effects. Nostalgic. And, my kid was so happy…. Amazing time on the West End.
3. Oxford — especially the Harry Potter walking tour. I think Turf Tavern was my favorite place. Where Clinton did “not inhale” and the inspiration for the Three Broomsticks.
4. Warner Bros tour of the making of Harry Potter. Simply amazing.

5. The Crown Jewels at the Tower of London. Simply beautiful.

As a PS to our trip.... Davy has inherited his father's teeth. Even though he brushes and flosses twice a day, it was not enough. We got back home to TWO root canals and THIRTEEN cavities. He was devastated. We had some issues with his dentist and he switched to mine.... we are still finishing up all of that work on his teeth. No wonder he was in pain!

My knee was a little off and my tennis team had a District Championships that weekend. I wrapped it up and didn't feel it and had a major singles win (with a couple hundred people rooting me on -- one of the most fun tennis moments of my life!). Our team got to travel to sectionals because of that win so I was happy. I did later need a cordisone shot in my knee but it got better quickly.

We have been swamped since we got back so it took a long time to finish this report. I hope some Harry Potter fans will make their way to England -- so many fun things to see! But, take it from me, go for two weeks at least!

Thank you for this fabulous report! It was really interesting to see all that you experienced. I look forward to using some of this information for our upcoming, yet still unplanned trip there! I hope your son is feeling better. :)

Thank you for this fabulous report! It was really interesting to see all that you experienced. I look forward to using some of this information for our upcoming, yet still unplanned trip there! I hope your son is feeling better. :)
Message me if you have any questions! And have fun!!!! Son is better but he still needs A LOT of dental work.

Alice……LOVED your report!

Despite the initial confusion over the accommodation, you all did amazingly well and had a wonderful trip.

Enjoyed all the detail and it was lovely to see so many places I knew…..and many I don’t! Great Missenden is beautiful and Oxford in general is stunning. Christ Church is an amazing place and I’m so glad you got to visit all the places to see the connections to Potter that you did.

Turf Tavern…….. ::yes::

Glad the knee and Davey are doing better too and congrats on the tennis!

Thank you for writing it and hope next time you come over we can make that meet up, finally…….:)

Alice……LOVED your report!

Despite the initial confusion over the accommodation, you all did amazingly well and had a wonderful trip.

Enjoyed all the detail and it was lovely to see so many places I knew…..and many I don’t! Great Missenden is beautiful and Oxford in general is stunning. Christ Church is an amazing place and I’m so glad you got to visit all the places to see the connections to Potter that you did.

Turf Tavern…….. ::yes::

Glad the knee and Davey are doing better too and congrats on the tennis!

Thank you for writing it and hope next time you come over we can make that meet up, finally…….:)
Thanks Carole! Now on to reading the rest of your two I am behind on! I'm TRYING to convince Davy we should go to Universal before Thanksgiving... he is deciding whether he just wants to rest after his VERY BUSY September and upcoming October or if he's up to going. Will let you know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter