Harry Potter and Back to the Future -- in England!

angryduck71

DIS Veteran
I have written a few Universal Studios trip reports.... and one about going to NYC to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child that got great feedback on here, so thought I'd report another Harry Potter (and Back to the Future!)-related report for those interested... my son Davy, 15, and a friend from law school, Ginny, and I did a Harry Potter-heavy England trip (although, my friend skipped the Harry Potter stuff -- her loss!). If anyone wants to do a trip like this, hopefully this report will help. I will skim over some of the trip that is not somehow Universal related, but feel free to ask me questions!

@schumigirl was very helpful in planning this trip! Shoutout to her! One of these days, hoping to be in the same city at the same time so we can meet! :love:

DAY 1:

So, to begin... I first came up with the idea to go to England for my 50th birthday... So, we planned on going for my 50th birthday... in 2021... but, COVID restrictions and all.... could not do it. My son was crushed as he wanted us to do it for my birthday. I told him maybe we could do it BEFORE I turned 51 (which is this Thursday!). He was happy with that. So, we settled on going (mostly to London) Memorial Day weekend 2022 and staying for about 11 days. THEN... I HAPPENED to hear the Queen's jubilee would be that week.. I emailed schumigirl and asked, "should I change dates?" She said, "YES!" We did so quickly that day... changed flights and the airbnb. Found what looked like a lovely flat in Chelsea. Flights were no problem to change. So, now we were going end of June/early July. My son thought it was hilarious that we would be in England over the 4th of July.

Because we would be there then and I'm a HUGE tennis fan, had to add Wimbledon to the trip as well. We cut down the trip to 9 days because my friend asked me to. BIG mistake. Should have stayed there at least 11 days. Probably more like 2 weeks.

So, before the trip began, I tried plugging in the airbnb flat's address into various sites to see how far away things were... it would never work. I emailed the owner and asked if there was some way I was putting the address in incorrectly (he, or maybe she -- long story on that one, but the picture and name seemed to be male) barely communicated back and when he did -- he just said the address is right.

In any event, we were off!

davy and me on way to england.jpg

We left Kansas City and headed to Chicago. Had a LONG layover then took off for Heathrow. We mostly watched movies on the plane. I watched "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" -- highly recommend. I forget what Davy watched - he has problems sleeping on planes, so he stayed awake the whole trip and watched A LOT. He finally started Ted Lasso (the first four episodes were on) after I had been telling him over and over he'd love it. He did. He has since binged it all.

During the flight, his tooth started to really bother him. He figured it was his wisdom tooth.

We landed and breezed through customs. I was like, "what is all the fuss about going through customs?" I hadn't gone through in about 20 years so I couldn't remember anything about it previously.

I had hired a driver from Viator (a touring company I have had great results from in the past). We looked for our name.... nothing. I emailed the contractor through Viator. Nothing back. I finally found the contractor's local phone number and called. They said the driver was in front of a certain store. I was standing right where he said... nope. No one holding a sign with my name. He said he would call back. He called back a few minutes later...so, the dispatcher who I guess subcontracted the drive, had told the driver HIS name instead of mine... so, FINALLY, found him. That wasted 30 minutes of time. I was not happy. The driver was fine... we get to the address... and there is a very expensive car blocking our way to the door. (Schumigirl would be very disappointed I can't remember what it was....)

We go up to the door... the instructions said to push the call button at the door so the cleaning woman would let us in... there was NO call button. Meanwhile, our driver took off.... The owner of this house showed up and said, "not again! They really need to fix this address issue because I KEEP getting people looking for the AirBNB!" I continued emailing the owner. I BEGGED him to call me. He would not. He just kept insisting that the cleaning woman was
outside. I again asked if the address was really correct... he assured me it was. I told him that a woman had come home and said this keeps happening (no reply to that). Meanwhile, Ginny had found a similar address (it was weird -- we later found out that there was a building name and a street name in the address we had -- but you could not tell which was which.... and Ginny had decided she found it using the "other" name). I was hesitant to walk a long way with our HUGE suitcases -- the sidewalks were uneven and they were heavy even to roll... but, away we went... Got to the next address about 15 grueling minutes later, buzzed the door, and got screamed at because we were once again at the wrong place. Just then, a policeman walked by. We showed him the address and he was really confused. He knew we were in the wrong postal code (great) but couldn't figure out where the place was. He suggested we get an uber to drive us around as he said the postal code would be at least a 15 minute walk away if not longer.

So, we got an uber. The driver was really nice. And... he went to the first place. We were like, "nope!" Meanwhile, the owner had emailed me again (after so many pleas from me to call me) and said the place was near a certain cinema. So, we go there... and saw a building with the name of one of the address lines. The driver said, "no way we could have found this by just the address. But, I am making sure you actually get in and this is the right place!" (I tipped him BIG!)

The cleaning lady came down. We got another email from the owner saying, "no one has ever had a problem finding it before...." Really? Because in the span of a little over an hour, two drivers couldn't find it, a policeman was unsure, and the woman of the address GPS kept sending us to was really miffed this happened AGAIN. The cleaning lady showed me the mail from the place and it had the address on it as we had it. she said the owner (who she kept referring to as "she" so I am not sure if I was emailing a man or a woman - not that I cared, but I wanted to picture who I was mad at) was calling her constantly that morning. Wish he/she would have called me once! The flat was darling though.

Well, they do say get outside and walk to get over jet lag... but, our walk trying to find the place did not seem to help my kid. Davy was DYING with his tooth hurting and lack of sleep. I just could not force him to go on any longer -- so he took some tylenol and slept. Ginny and I headed to the British Museum. We were about a 10 minute walk from two tube stations. We headed to one and ran into the police officer we had seen earlier. He asked what had happened and we told him. He was relieved we found the place and he had seen us again to find out.

The British Museum -- an amazing place! I won't post the million pics I took (I will a couple!). :) But, highly recommend going to this if you like museums -- this is the best one ever.

mummies british museum.jpg

greece british museum.jpg

We came back to the flat. Davy was up and feeling a little better. We found a neighborhood pub to dine at and it was delicious! Davy and I shared a dinner salad and fish and chips. Came home... and collapsed.

I will say, we were SO LUCKY about the timing of our visit. There had been a bit of a heat wave the week before and a transit strike. We missed all of that. Being 50ish... well, I'm hot all of the time. I was hot in 70 degree weather with the windows open. i can't imagine if it had been a week or two later when London was on fire (literally!).

Tomorrow -- Davy ventures out. I may have achieved some mischief. :)

Last edited:
Following along, I am looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip! So strange about the address issues but glad you were able to get it figured out!

I have only been to the UK once, we were only there for a week and I wish we could have extended it, we didn't have nearly enough time to see everything we wanted to.

Yay Alice.......I was happy to see this one here this morning!!!

Oh my goodness, what a disaster with the address and you didn`t get much help from the owner......I don`t believe that hasn`t happened before. But, nice start........and yes, airports are basically a breeze now with electronic passports and facial recognition, I`m glad that was easy for you.

I`ve never been to the British Museum before, not the biggest Museum fan, but that is one I would go to.

One of the things I do like about london is how compact is really is, things are fairly close together and transport is so easy.....I hate the Tube but it works very well.

Yes, you timed it well with the weather, that heatwave after you left was not fun at all.....and I love the heat, but don`t want to deal with it every day over here......never happy lol......and you know I was more than happy to help any way I could.

Looking forward to reading more......

Following along, I am looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip! So strange about the address issues but glad you were able to get it figured out!

I have only been to the UK once, we were only there for a week and I wish we could have extended it, we didn't have nearly enough time to see everything we wanted to.
Thanks for following! Yeah, one week is for sure not enough. We'll just both have to make it back!

Yay Alice.......I was happy to see this one here this morning!!!

Oh my goodness, what a disaster with the address and you didn`t get much help from the owner......I don`t believe that hasn`t happened before. But, nice start........and yes, airports are basically a breeze now with electronic passports and facial recognition, I`m glad that was easy for you.

I`ve never been to the British Museum before, not the biggest Museum fan, but that is one I would go to.

One of the things I do like about london is how compact is really is, things are fairly close together and transport is so easy.....I hate the Tube but it works very well.

Yes, you timed it well with the weather, that heatwave after you left was not fun at all.....and I love the heat, but don`t want to deal with it every day over here......never happy lol......and you know I was more than happy to help any way I could.

Looking forward to reading more......
Yay! I'll get to writing more eventually -- thought things had calmed down and gotten back to normal, but I'm not planning a trip for my tennis team so it's gotten crazy again!

Oh my gosh….. you are so patient! I’m glad it all worked out! I would have lost my mind with the Airbnb owner. Can’t wait to read more of your trip report. Enjoying your pictures.
Brenda:flower1:

Oh my gosh….. you are so patient! I’m glad it all worked out! I would have lost my mind with the Airbnb owner. Can’t wait to read more of your trip report. Enjoying your pictures.
Brenda:flower1:
It's a rare day someone calls me patient (unless talking about me on the tennis court). LOL

Day 2. We got up early to start our day. Davy's tooth was feeling better. When we got out of the tube and Davy saw Big Ben for the first time as we emerged, he had the biggest grin and said, "Wow!" Now, he had been to England when he was 7 with his dad -- he doesn't remember much and did not enjoy the trip that much. Apparently, he had not seen this before. I wish I had gotten a picture of Davy's reaction.

Big Ben.jpg

Going on with our Harry Potter theme... Davy and I both have a mischievious streak. Davy wanted a pic of us by the Churchill statue... but, really, he was looking out for bird droppings...

churchill statue.jpg

Next up, we had a behind the scenes tour of Westminster Abbey.

We were not allowed to take pictures "backstage" if you will.... but, what a great tour. We saw an archealogical dig that was hidden from view -- there were skeletons sticking out of the ground that were thousands and thousands of years old (later, there will be a funeral for these folks who once lived here when they are reburied). We also saw thousand year old pipes exposed -- that ARE STILL IN USE! (they don't make 'em like they used to!).

But, one of my favorite things that I am SOOOOO sad we were not allowed to take pics of... a toilet used by the Queen and Benedict Cumberbatch. It was glorious -- truly looked like a "throne."

I took a million pics here -- again, since not really the Unviersal theme, won't share them all. BUT, I will tell you one more mischievious thing I did.... we were told by our tour guide that when we went through the Queen's Jubilee room (an extra ticket is required to see it but it also came with our tour...), that there was one completely amazing view .... and cameras are not technically allowed as you could drop it and hurt someone. BUT, she said, usually the ladies "guarding" the area are ok with you taking pics anyway....so, ignoring the "do not take pictures" sign, I took the shot... and got yelled at by several of the guards. OOPS. But, mischief managed! Here is the shot:

westminster from queen's jubilee.jpg

I was fascinated by the many scientists and authors who are buried here... even Darwin?!?!?

One more photo... we were able to be right next to the coronation chair (but could not take a pic then). There was tons of scratched-on grafitti on the chair (I had no idea it was made of wood from when I saw it on TV). Apparently, some was done by naughty school boys before the chair was protected better. (Obviously, not Hogwarts students!)

coronation chair.jpg

While on this tour, we ran into a group of ladies on a girls trip - and two of them lived RIGHT NEAR ME in Overland Park, KS. Amazing. They had a Wimbledon bag. I asked if they had gone. They had the day before and said they easily got tickets the day before that online by continuously refreshing. You could not get tickets way ahead of time this year, so I was going to try online but also figured we would have to queue. Well, as we left the Abbey, got great tickets to Court 1 immediately as we were walking to the Churchill War Rooms. Success! Thanks to those ladies from back home!

We LOVED the Churchill War Rooms tour. Just amazing. And, amazing to think what folks went through during WWII -- I'm afraid our generation could not handle the sacrifice. Davy was amazed by it -- this was one of the things he looked most forward to. Ginny and I have both read a lot about Churchill and were also looking forward to this. One of the best museums ever. Again, I took a million pics, but here is one -- the map room.

churchill war room.jpg

As a complete side note.... at the cafeteria here, we found this great British treat -- caramel logs. They were caramel wrapped in coconut. When we got home, we found out the British Company shipped them to the US -- you bet we ordered three packages worth!

We then walked around London a bit...

Davy and the Eye.jpg

Tomorrow, Wimbledon -- a bucket list item checked!

Westminster Abbey is amazing. truly fascinating place to see and yes, so interesting. You are so naughty taking pics where you shouldn`t.....lol.....there are some amazing people buried there for sure.

And amazing coincidence meeting the ladies!! Love it.....

Caramel Logs are actually Scottish......along with caramel wafers they are among many treats that Scottish kids in the 1970`s......lol.....but you can get them all over the UK easily now. I used to send the caramle logs to my aunt in Long Island, she loved them!!!

I don`t eat them anymore as I have crowns.....not a good idea..... :rolleyes1

How grown up is Davy now!!!

Westminster Abbey is amazing. truly fascinating place to see and yes, so interesting. You are so naughty taking pics where you shouldn`t.....lol.....there are some amazing people buried there for sure.

And amazing coincidence meeting the ladies!! Love it.....

Caramel Logs are actually Scottish......along with caramel wafers they are among many treats that Scottish kids in the 1970`s......lol.....but you can get them all over the UK easily now. I used to send the caramle logs to my aunt in Long Island, she loved them!!!

I don`t eat them anymore as I have crowns.....not a good idea..... :rolleyes1

How grown up is Davy now!!!
OH! Will tell Davy that about the logs being Scottish -- and, with his crowns... maybe not buy many more!

Davy is driving some now -- and has a list of colleges he wants to look at in the spring. I cannot believe it's time for all of that!

AS for the pics I shouldn't have taken... I REALLY should have gotten a shot of that toilet! LOL

OH! Will tell Davy that about the logs being Scottish -- and, with his crowns... maybe not buy many more!

Davy is driving some now -- and has a list of colleges he wants to look at in the spring. I cannot believe it's time for all of that!

AS for the pics I shouldn't have taken... I REALLY should have gotten a shot of that toilet! LOL
Oh lordy he`s driving!!! Seems only yesterday he was about 10!!! Does he have any preferences as to Colleges?

Tell him to put them on a plate and cut them into little pieces, that way you`re not biting into them......lesson learned the hard way for me! They are delicious though...Tom prefers the Caramel Wafers, but I love coconut, so they win!

Tunnocks Teacakes are another you should try....... ::yes::

Yes, that would have been a talking point of a picture for sure......lol.....when we went to the Bethesda Fountain in Central Park they have a very long line of very old toilets and old fashioned doors.....so I had to take a picture.....waiting for it to empty took forever! Try explaining why you want a picture of that lol.....but, it`s history!

Oh lordy he`s driving!!! Seems only yesterday he was about 10!!! Does he have any preferences as to Colleges?

Tell him to put them on a plate and cut them into little pieces, that way you`re not biting into them......lesson learned the hard way for me! They are delicious though...Tom prefers the Caramel Wafers, but I love coconut, so they win!

Tunnocks Teacakes are another you should try....... ::yes::

Yes, that would have been a talking point of a picture for sure......lol.....when we went to the Bethesda Fountain in Central Park they have a very long line of very old toilets and old fashioned doors.....so I had to take a picture.....waiting for it to empty took forever! Try explaining why you want a picture of that lol.....but, it`s history!
I think I have some pics of the toilets by the Bethesda Fountain as well. LOL.

So, this kid could go ANYWHERE. But, he wants to stay close to home... he wants a smaller town around the college.... and, he wants to study engineering. Right now, his top choices are University of Illinois, Purdue, and Washington University in St. Louis. All good engineering schools. I kind of wish he'd look at Northwestern in Chicago but he refuses to go to school near Chicago -- too big of a city. I suppose going to a school that is a little easier to get into will likely lead to more $$ in scholarships....

We shall give the Tunnocks Teacakes a try!

Caramel Wafers are good. They had them at my local grocery store. (Yeah Publix) They were good very light. A good sweet treat

We went to London years ago and I'm dying to go back. I want to do the Harry Potter Experience. And go visit Victoria and Albert Museum again. My sister wants to go out to Bletchley.

I think I have some pics of the toilets by the Bethesda Fountain as well. LOL.

So, this kid could go ANYWHERE. But, he wants to stay close to home... he wants a smaller town around the college.... and, he wants to study engineering. Right now, his top choices are University of Illinois, Purdue, and Washington University in St. Louis. All good engineering schools. I kind of wish he'd look at Northwestern in Chicago but he refuses to go to school near Chicago -- too big of a city. I suppose going to a school that is a little easier to get into will likely lead to more $$ in scholarships....

We shall give the Tunnocks Teacakes a try!

lol...they are quite unique aren`t they......

Kyle was the same Alice, had his choice of Universities but stayed close to home and it worked out well for him. Smaller University, but suited him down to the ground and he came out with a top notch Degree too. Davy will shine wherever he goes, at least you know that....clever lad.

Tunnocks Teacakes are lush......we`ve seen caramel logs and wafers in Publix in Orlando in their International sections, so you can get them.

Interesting side note. I went to British Museum to see the Elgin Marbles (Big subject in my Museum Studies Class), Rosetta stone and The Bog guy. The Bog guy was behind a construction wall. But I got to Sutton Hoo so I was pretty fine with it. Only slightly bummed that I didn't get to the see the Bog Guy.

The Egyptian Collection, Reading room and sculptures of Hindu Gods/Goddesses were an added plus. Westminster was our favorite Church that we visited so much history. We had a week to run around London and I still wish we had another week so much to see.

Can't wait to hear about you Harry Potter experience. One of the many reasons I want to go back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter