Harry and Meghan Netflix documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see if I can make a start with the reviews of the book. The tricky thing with reviews is that they have to detail a lot of the things in the book which thanks to the tabloids, we knew about a week ago. Going to try to filter the reactions out of the summaries.

But luckily, the Hollywood Reporter is not the site for book reviews, they kept it fairly short. With a good last line.
There are two 'positive' words in the review, 'heartbreaking' and 'pointedly' when describing the parts about Diana.

Hollywood Reporter - We read Spare so you don't have to
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ons-prince-william-princess-diana-1235294561/

Those with a middling amount of royal knowledge will be familiar with the plot points he discusses and to hear them described in his own words in the book is both poignant and a little bit repetitive.
[...]
(About the Nazi Costume)
The prince acknowledges the err in judgement, and his naïveté, but his decision to foist some of the blame onto his brother and sister-in-law, combined with a less-than-satisfying apology, will rub many readers the wrong way.
[...]
The juiciest revelations in Spare come most often as asides, factoids Harry drops in almost rapid succession. [...summary of all the revelations like mushrooms and Tom Hardy [...] In a passage about Markle’s final months on the show, he writes, “The show writers were frustrated, because they were often advised by the Palace comms team to change lines of dialogue, what her character would do, how she would act,” without further elaboration.
Imbued throughout the memoir is a rather deep hostility, felt in part toward The Firm (understandable) and in part toward his brother (less understandable, a bit more cringe). [...summary of all the things William did to him about bedrooms and baldness [...]

They are all moments that, while supporting Harry’s not-yet-explicitly named thesis that Will Is Bad and Harry Is Good, don’t rise far beyond the level of the typical family feud. They are hard to write about without coming off as petty, which is why most people choose not to write about them at all.
It’s hard not to feel exploitative in rehashing the most intimate moments of Prince Harry’s memoir, especially when he has spent the past several years trying to show people how the constant reporting on his personal life destroyed any semblance of the thing itself. But that’s in keeping with the central paradox of Spare: It’s a book that is simultaneously a plea for privacy and a cry for attention.

Harry has apparently talked about a Matron at his school in the book:

"Unlike other matrons, Pat wasn't hot. Pat was cold. Pat was small, mousy, frazzled and her hair fell greasily into her always tired eyes. Pat didn't seem to get much joy out of life."

Harry goes on to describe that she did enjoy catching boys being naughty and was "empathy challenged" when dealing with boys' minor cuts. He says Pat had many crosses to bear.

"The biggest being her knees and spine. The latter was crooked, the former chronically stiff. Walking was hard, stairs were torture. She'd descend backwards, glacially. Often we'd stand on the landing below her, doing antic dances, making faces. Do I need to say who did this with the most enthusiasm?"

He doesn't show any remorse but instead excuses it because he did it to make his friends laugh and he says that Pat also laughed if she caught him.
"I loved cracking up my mates but nothing quite did it for me like making the otherwise miserable Pat bust a gut."

Once again, not sure this really needed to be shared with the world.

Harry is totally clueless and, like somebody else said, tone deaf. Especially in today's world, in which there's a lot more awareness of being mindful of people who are different, and appreciating those differences and celebrating them, babbling on about mocking the physically disabled lady at school is just flat out stupid.

I personally feel that it's a big cop out to blame all of Harry's relationship problems with his relatives on his wife. We're not talking about a 15 year old boy here. He's a 38 yr old man. He's been an adult for 20 years.

2 decades of being an adult.

Ok, so let's say that maybe once in awhile he felt pressure from the wife to do this or do that or act a certain way towards this person or that person. But he's an adult. And ultimately, nobody was holding a gun to his head FORCING him to act like a butthead. Clearly, based on just his book alone, he has a LONG track record BEFORE HE EVEN MET HIS WIFE of him being a butthead and making butthead decisions.

So we really can't blame all of this nonsense on his wife.

He has his own voice. If he was getting pressure from somebody to be a certain way or whatever, he could just...grow a pair and SAY NO! Do your life YOUR way, Harry...IT'S A FREE COUNTRY! He does have free will like the rest of us.

To blame it on his wife's wiley ways of enchanting him, well, that's just ridiculous.

Heck, when my mother died several years ago from cancer, my dad became the most self-absorbed, narcissistic, mean, and vindictive person. 3 months after she had died, he was dating 1 of my mom's good friends while the friend was still married. Then tried to get her added to his health benefits at work as a domestic partner...while she was still legally married to somebody else. The revisionist history tales that he would tell to my sister and I would curl your hair, alleging that our mother emotionally abused him (which was a bunch of nonsense)...my dad's wife is not a nice person. In fact, she is one of the most passive-aggressive, envious, mean-spirited person I've ever met. Do I blame my dad's horrible behavior towards me, my sister, & my immediate family on my dad's wife?

NO.

Like Prince Harry, nobody held a gun to my dad's head. Nobody is forcing him to be a total butthole to all of us. It's been entirely his own doing.

Prince Harry should look in the mirror because he's the reason why his life is a mess. At the end of the day, how he lives his life is HIS choice. And once you've been adulting for 20 years, you no longer get to blame all of your adult problems on what happened to you when you were a kid.

I know others have quoted this but I wanted to repost it in case it wasn't seen.
This is so disgusting that I don't know where to start.
My gosh, a grown man, with children, choosing to put this in his book,
and as others said he showed no remorse!
Most adults, if they wanted to tell the world about something like this,
would say something like, "I am ashamed and embarrassed by what I did
and I have put this in my book to ask for Pat's forgiveness."
I wonder if poor Pat is still here - I can see the media looking for her
to get a reaction!

Harry has made choices which will follow him forever, and his children as well.
Shame on him :sad2:
Harry comes off as an insensitive jerk. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't backtracked...like with the kill quote.

Moehringer went to social media to defend Harry (and himself) about inaccuracies.
The first might help. The second doesn't.

Harry: "I remember I was at Eton when my great grandmother died."
- "Eh no... you were skiing with your brother."
Harry: "My memory is my truth. And it is equally worth as your objective fact."

Harry gets more and more similar to other people who have their own truth ;) #alternatefacts

Screenshot_20230112_112520_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230112_112600_Samsung Internet.jpg

I hadn't read the actual text about Harry and his frostbitten todger. It is truly a Freudian affair when Harry decided to include his mother in the recovery of his todger

Harry, Diana and the Frostbitten Todger
(Sounds like a radioplay, doesn't it?)

An extract reads: "I'd been trying some home remedies, including one recommended by a friend, she'd urged me to apply Elizabeth Arden cream.

"'My mum used that on her lips, you want me to put that on my todger?!', 'It works Harry, trust me'.

"I found a tube and the minute I opened it, the smell transported me through time. I felt as if my mother was right there in the room and I took a smidge and applied it down there."
As the extract from the book was shared on Twitter,
fans couldn't help but react – with one branding it a "Freudian nightmare".

"I need therapy after listening to this," one joked.
Another added: "I am howling … 8 Hour Todger Cream".

Last edited:
There is a news article that two members of parliament are sponsoring bills to remove the Duke of Sussex title (which would automatically remove the Duchess of Sussex) AND to downgrade royal status from Prince. (There is legal precedence that can be cited. See the recent situation in Denmark.)

Also, “a source” says Princess Anne and Prince Edward do not want Harry and Meghan At the coronation. Their concern is private conversations would show up in a paperback.

Another article says Harry has stated affirmatively that he will never move back to the UK. Harry also said he would never return to being a working royal. This would be relevant to retention of the title of Duke of Sussex and the royal rank of Prince of the United Kingdom. (In essence, he has announced a voluntary “abdication” of his position and rank using permanent language. Although, like King Edward VIII’s abdication, some written document is likely preferred. It is unclear if an oral, publically broadcast statement — which usually has the same legal significance as a written document because it is a permanent, verifiable record — would be legally sufficient.) Usually, at a coronation, the Dukes of the realm pledge fealty to the country and the new monarch. It may also impact his documentation for being present in the United States; especially if he is in the US on diplomatic status. If his vow to never return to working status is permanent his diplomatic status and protections from prosecution etc also stop.

Harry seems to think he can retain some working royal benefits by saying he is available for an assignment representing the monarchy, but escapes all conflict of interest restrictions by paying the expenses himself and not accepting public funds as compensation. He thinks as long as he does not take public money he can evade the rules. He is wrong on that assumption. One either acts in an official capacity subject to the rank, hierarchy and chain of command with all laws, policies and orders or one does not. Again, his half-in thinking. On rare occasions the top royals, administrators or government officers can hear a petition and do a temporary waiver of a conflict of interest, but only if fully disclosed by petitioner, a well defined activity, publicly disclosed and special finding that the act or acts will not in any way harm the public’s interests. Harry clearly does not grasp or have a full understanding of why his grand scheme to modernize the monarchy by branding it for commercial transactions, services or charitable profiteering was wrong. He and Meghan do not understand the difference between head of state royal or celebrity status. He thought he would make billions by blurring those lines. How brilliant Meghan and Harry thought they were to come up with the idea of branding and merchandising the brand. How stupid everyone else was to not have done this before. One word: grandiosity. We do see that in countries mired in corruption. Not only does it make the corrupt stunningly wealthy, runaway corruption in leadership positions also leads to raging inflation, destruction of the value of currency, instability of the values of property, catastrophic failure of the legal system and destroying the quality of life for its citizens. The stakes are very high and the need to say no to Harry was great. His idea after that was to flee the jurisdiction that Elizabeth ruled. But, not only is geographic jurisdiction involved, but also jurisdiction over the person and the subject matter. Some things can be handled in absentia. The monarchy has moved slowly in response, perhaps hoping for his temper to cool, natural consequences to take hold and a possible return of the prodigal son. But a media published statement of an intention never to return to the UK and never to return to the firm could change that. When asked about voluntarily relinquishing the Sussex title, he responded with “What difference does that make.” A big, huge difference. Not only does it open doors and help him continue a stream of personal income, if his passport has diplomatic status, he cannot be sued — property deals, torts, business deals, divorce, child custody, support, even criminal prosecution, to name a few. If there ever was an incident in the past, a diplomatic passport would prevent prosecution everywhere except in the UK.

Last edited:
There is a news article that two members of parliament are sponsoring bills to remove the Duke of Sussex title (which would automatically remove the Duchess of Sussex) AND to downgrade royal status from Prince. (There is legal precedence that can be cited. See the recent situation in Denmark.)

Also, “a source” says Princess Anne and Prince Edward do not want Harry and Meghan At the coronation. Their concern is private conversations would show up in a paperback.

Another article says Harry has stated affirmatively that he will never move back to the UK. Harry also said he would never return to being a working royal. This would be relevant to retention of the title of Duke of Sussex and the royal rank of Prince of the United Kingdom. (In essence, he has announced a voluntary “abdication” of his position and rank using permanent language. Although, like King Edward VIII’s abdication, some written document is likely preferred. It is unclear if an oral, publically broadcast statement — which usually has the same legal significance as a written document because it is a permanent, verifiable record — would be legally sufficient.) Usually, at a coronation, the Dukes of the realm pledge fealty to the country and the new monarch. It may also impact his documentation for being present in the United States; especially if he is in the US on diplomatic status. If his vow to never return to working status is permanent his diplomatic status and protections from prosecution etc also stop.

Harry seems to think he can retain some working royal benefits by saying he is available for an assignment representing the monarchy, but escapes all conflict of interest restrictions by paying the expenses himself and not accepting public funds as compensation. He thinks as long as he does not take public money he can evade the rules. He is wrong on that assumption. One either acts in an official capacity subject to the rank, hierarchy and chain of command with all laws, policies and orders or one does not. Again, his half-in thinking. On rare occasions the top royals, administrators or government officers can hear a petition and do a temporary waiver of a conflict of interest, but only if fully disclosed by petitioner, a well defined activity, publicly disclosed and special finding that the act or acts will not in any way harm the public’s interests. Harry clearly does not grasp or have a full understanding of why his grand scheme to modernize the monarchy by branding it for commercial transactions, services or charitable profiteering was wrong. He and Meghan do not understand the difference between head of state royal or celebrity status. He thought he would make billions by blurring those lines. How brilliant Meghan and Harry thought they were to come up with the idea of branding and merchandising the brand. How stupid everyone else was to not have done this before. One word: grandiosity. We do see that in countries mired in corruption. Not only does it make the corrupt stunningly wealthy, runaway corruption in leadership positions also leads to raging inflation, destruction of the value of currency, instability of the values of property, catastrophic failure of the legal system and destroying the quality of life for its citizens. The stakes are very high and the need to say no to Harry was great. His idea after that was to flee the jurisdiction that Elizabeth ruled. But, not only is geographic jurisdiction involved, but also jurisdiction over the person and the subject matter. Some things can be handled in absentia. The monarchy has moved slowly in response, perhaps hoping for his temper to cool, natural consequences to take hold and a possible return of the prodigal son. But a media published statement of an intention never to return to the UK and never to return to the firm could change that. When asked about voluntarily relinquishing the Sussex title, he responded with “What difference does that make.” A big, huge difference. Not only does it open doors and help him continue a stream of personal income, if his passport has diplomatic status, he cannot be sued — property deals, torts, business deals, divorce, child custody, support, even criminal prosecution, to name a few. If there ever was an incident in the past, a diplomatic passport would prevent prosecution everywhere except in the UK.
Wowsa! Thank you for this informaton! So freakin sad that it has come to this! 😣

But I do think the titles should be gone, given all that’s happened.

I fear for what will happen to Harry in the event of a future divorce, but I’d imagine his family will likely see that he doesn’t become destitute.

I can’t blame any of them for not wanting them at the Coronation. They can’t be trusted.

Question, if his quote about his kill count does anger the Taliban in a serious way, could that impact his visa? And if so, could it be positive or negative?

Positive: I don't know if this is possible, but the US saying 'you did good in the war, we will protect you'.
Negative: keep your dangerous ways out of our country. Go back.'

Many UK army officers have spoken out about Harry's remarks. Do we have any responses from US officers?

Question, if his quote about his kill count does anger the Taliban in a serious way, could that impact his visa? And if so, could it be positive or negative?

Positive: I don't know if this is possible, but the US saying 'you did good in the war, we will protect you'.

Many UK army officers have spoken out about Harry's remarks. Do we have any responses from US officers?
No effect. No official reply expected. Unofficial replies would not carry the sanction of US imprimatur or rank. No US officers should state their personal opinions and state their active or retired rank. That could be a conflict of interest actually. Veterans who have not retired do not retain rank.

I doubt there will be any official US response.
But there are opinions, mostly from UK military personnel, thus far.
Stay tuned.

https://time.com/6245898/prince-harry-implications-killing-taliban-spare/

https://apnews.com/article/prince-harry-afghanistan-service-claims-1c497d35a8211dc0366429856a539e2a

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/world/europe/prince-harry-memoir-afghanistan.html

Harry’s spin on the criticisms:

https://www.thenationalnews.com/wor...nies-boasting-about-killing-taliban-in-spare/

It was part of his “healing journey””

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...s-spare-memoir-healing-journey-b1052075.htmlI doub

I know to many this may be very far fetched, but with the aid of DNA, does anyone ever think that Harry may possibly had found out that he is in fact, not Charles' son, and this was the beginning of his feeling not fully a royal and wanting and giving an out for pulling away, yet he can never say it since it would betray his mom?

Wowsa! Thank you for this informaton! So freakin sad that it has come to this! 😣

But I do think the titles should be gone, given all that’s happened.

I fear for what will happen to Harry in the event of a future divorce, but I’d imagine his family will likely see that he doesn’t become destitute.

I can’t blame any of them for not wanting them at the Coronation. They can’t be trusted.
Harry should've thought a few things through. This may get buried in the above article but losing his status affects his immunity. Megs can clean him out and bleed him for a couple of decades. And the kids will likely stay here. Harry has no where to go. He is stuck. I'm not sure the RF would ever take him back. Maybe Nott Cott would be available? 😏

"What difference does that make.” A big, huge difference. Not only does it open doors and help him continue a stream of personal income, if his passport has diplomatic status, he cannot be sued — property deals, torts, business deals, divorce, child custody, support, even criminal prosecution, to name a few. If there ever was an incident in the past, a diplomatic passport would prevent prosecution everywhere except in the UK."

Last edited:
Considering all the work Harry has done with the Invictus games, you would think he would have followed the story about Pat the Matron saying how he can now see as an adult how wrong it was, and he unreservedly apologises for his actions.
Again, he's not reading the room. He has grown into a pompous, selfish, mean and nasty man. And whoever is advising him needs firing.
So where does this most recent "brag" leave it? If I were part of The Invictus Games I would be fuming and hurt and not wanting anything to do with him. Whether born disabled or becoming disabled later in life ~ it doesn't matter, the injury is nothing to joke about and certainly the joking is nothing to talk about later.

If he can't apologize for that in his book ~ he can't apologize and there is no hope for his family reunion. They can't trust him and why do they want to be associated with his behaviors like this.

I personally feel that it's a big cop out to blame all of Harry's relationship problems with his relatives on his wife. We're not talking about a 15 year old boy here. He's a 38 yr old man. He's been an adult for 20 years.

2 decades of being an adult.
Agreed. He has spent 25 years being a rebel to the royal family, creating his own problems (many they swept up for him) and misbehaving. He clearly never wanted to be there (other than all the perks he got) and no doubt would always seek out a wife that would be a willing participant in his dysfunction. I'm not so sure he would have found someone healthy who was willing to try to work with his issues.

She came with her own dysfunction and I think as she was a royal watcher since childhood ~ was likely having grand thoughts on being royal and what she would get from that. It didn't turn out to be something she was prepared to do. And that is okay. What they continue to do, not okay.

Prince Harry should look in the mirror because he's the reason why his life is a mess. At the end of the day, how he lives his life is HIS choice. And once you've been adulting for 20 years, you no longer get to blame all of your adult problems on what happened to you when you were a kid.
:worship::worship::worship::worship:

Moehringer went to social media to defend Harry (and himself) about inaccuracies.
The first might help. The second doesn't.

Harry: "I remember I was at Eton when my great grandmother died."
- "Eh no... you were skiing with your brother."
Harry: "My memory is my truth. And it is equally worth as your objective fact."

Harry gets more and more similar to other people who have their own truth ;) #alternatefacts

View attachment 731378

View attachment 731379
Mo, Mo, Mo ..... Harry IS responsible for the info given, he had many ways to verify his memories (mistruths) and as a writer who wants your name attached ~ you need to be verifying anything that you can on your own, like where was he when the Queen Mother died? If you are going to do the minimal of fact checking then you are holding the bag along with H. So does the bookstore have a category called "fictional biography"?

OR

As Brit Winston Churchill was to have said ..... this is a work of "terminological inexactitude". :rolleyes1

I know to many this may be very far fetched, but with the aid of DNA, does anyone ever think that Harry may possibly had found out that he is in fact, not Charles' son, and this was the beginning of his feeling not fully a royal and wanting and giving an out for pulling away, yet he can never say it since it would betray his mom?
IMO the root of his problem is that he's not THE royal, and never will be, and has nothing to do with anything else.

I see resemblance to his dad in many photos of Harry, and to his paternal grandfather as well. Looks-wise I feel William is the one that favors Diana's looks in particular more, with Harry seeming to get his coloring from the Spencer line. Taking it a generation further it seems George might take after William, Charlotte is a throwback to the Queen in childhood in many ways and Louis looks a Middleton branch. All of those can and probably will ebb and flow as they mature as well. Haven't seen much of Harry's kids to get a sense of who they favor beyond just being cute kids.

Good question. There has been a lot of speculation about this over the years. Some of the side by side pictures are uncanny. But supposedly Diana didn’t even start seeing James Hewitt until several years after Harry was born (though he was around). And I’ve also seen some side by side pictures of Harry and Prince Philip when he was young and there is a very close resemblance there, too. I suppose it could still be a closely guarded family secret, but I feel like, if there really was any truth to it, it would’ve come out by now. And I think Harry would’ve addressed it in his book. I mean, he joked about his father commenting on the rumors, but he didn’t say any more than that (that I know of). And James Hewitt has squashed the rumors over the years, as well. Maybe Harry is waiting till his next book for a deeper dive? Idk!

I do think it is funny when he tries to say that everyone thought William looked like Diana but he doesn't anymore .... well as one ages ... a young boy who looks like Mom will eventually become more manly. My DS and my baby pictures are identical but now as a man with a beard we don't look as much alike anymore ~ which he is happy about because people stopped saying how much we look alike.

But what does become more evident later on is how much a man looks like his father ..... other than the Spencer red hair although Charles appears to have a reddish beard, Harry is his father's son. It would be a shock if multiple tests (I wouldn't believe one) showed he was not.

325486000_697318468395390_3429461815290950247_n.jpg272178285_661634474972672_3828927344699219109_n.jpg324944461_700875778099706_6979954457922967253_n.jpg

AND photos of William & Diana do the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if DNA testing was done at birth. The importance of lineage is central to the monarchy and they would not leave that to chance in this day and age when DNA testing is available. They would be extremely reckless if they did not test. Charles knows the answer to the issue of Harry's lineage to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter