Hard to rent points these days...

iheartglaciers

DIS Veteran
I haven't rented points in years since I became a member, but I'm helping a friend rent points and there seems to be a shortage of owners willing to rent (or maybe high demand from renters). She initially went through a broker, but they could only fill one of the requests (she's doing a three resort split stay). And I see far less point rental postings on the board here. When I rented years ago, it wasn't hard to get a reservation either through a broker or direct with the owner (through this board or facebook). I guess times have changed. Revenge travel? Word is out on renting DVC points? I'm curious!

I haven't rented points in years since I became a member, but I'm helping a friend rent points and there seems to be a shortage of owners willing to rent (or maybe high demand from renters). She initially went through a broker, but they could only fill one of the requests (she's doing a three resort split stay). And I see far less point rental postings on the board here. When I rented years ago, it wasn't hard to get a reservation either through a broker or direct with the owner (through this board or facebook). I guess times have changed. Revenge travel? Word is out on renting DVC points? I'm curious!
It's both revenge travel and an increased awareness that renting exists. Like everyone else, owners have been waiting for this pandemic to subside before traveling and now they're using their points for themselves. I will say that Disney outrageous room rates and lack of discounts has not hurt renting, either. Rental rates have not kept pace with Disney inflation, making renting even more attractive to guests.

I had mmuuucchh better luck renting direct on here. Dave's and Rental Store could not come through. Not knocking them, but I got my reservation with no issues direct on here AND for $2 less per point

I had mmuuucchh better luck renting direct on here. Dave's and Rental Store could not come through. Not knocking them, but I got my reservation with no issues direct on here AND for $2 less per point
David's did not handle the pandemic shutdown well and they burned a lot of owners. Their new post-shutdown rental agreement is very unfriendly to owners, putting the risk completely on owners in the event of a force majeure. As a result, many owners won't deal with David's. The board sponsor, DVC Rental Store, pays owners better, has a better cancellation policy for renters, and handled the shutdown in a more professional manner. You will still have better luck dealing directly with an owner than with any agency but for those more comfortable working with a middleman, I recommend trying DVC Rental Store.

David's did not handle the pandemic shutdown well and they burned a lot of owners. Their new post-shutdown rental agreement is very unfriendly to owners, putting the risk completely on owners in the event of a force majeure. As a result, many owners won't deal with David's. The board sponsor, DVC Rental Store, pays owners better, has a better cancellation policy for renters, and handled the shutdown in a more professional manner. You will still have better luck dealing directly with an owner than with any agency but for those more comfortable working with a middleman, I recommend trying DVC Rental Store.
Agree with this, I read the contract from David’s post shut down for owners and walked away.

Last edited:

I belong to several Facebook groups for DVC rentals, and demand is high. Most are going for 20-23pp. During the height of Covid, there were many cheap deals to be had, but the distressed points are gone, and many people are trying to rent to save versus Disney prices.

I think 2020 burned a lot of people. Disney has made many, many controversial decisions that seem to keep coming. I think plenty of owners who were on the fence aren't there anymore.

And I agree rental prices are undervalued for the hassle of renting and for the risk of owning this product with how modern Disney/DVC are acting.

So interesting! I did notice that points are going for much higher ($20-22), which makes total sense given demand and availability. My friend went through DVC Rental Store because of their great cancellation policy, but so far only 1 of her 3 requests were filled. We ended up finding an owner on a facebook group for one of the remaining and I'm still trying to find the last one. And I thought the AKL reservation would be the easiest of her split stays to fill!

I agree with lots of the points above. Just as an individual example: I own 250 points and rented 100-150 per year pre pandemic through Davids. Last rear I rented out over 400 points between current year and those banked from 2020 but did it on the boards because of the way they handled the pandemic and changed their contract. This year I’m planning a big family trip and a long weekend and won’t rent any out at all.

So yeah, my backlog of unused points from the pandemic is now gone and revenge travel.

I’ve rented out points in the past too, but have a trip booked over 2 use years this summer. I had To jiggle the planning because of the 50% borrowing rule, and where in the past I may have been left with quite a number of points I could have rented, this year they are sitting not available to use yet!

I think rentals have just spread out to more locations. There seems to be more places entering the rental game for DVC.

I can't imagine its hard to get points unless you are trying to book at 11 months since then you need specific points. Also if you are a member you could even do a point transfer and hold the reservation for your friend as well.

I think rentals have just spread out to more locations. There seems to be more places entering the rental game for DVC.

I can't imagine its hard to get points unless you are trying to book at 11 months since then you need specific points. Also if you are a member you could even do a point transfer and hold the reservation for your friend as well.

We finally got her what she needed, 1 reservation through a broker and 2 through a Facebook group. We did need specific home resort points because it was before 7 months. It took much longer than I thought it would!

I offered on the Facebook group to do a rental or transfer, since I could book for her with the points, but seemed most owners preferred a rental.

There seem to be plenty of owners on Facebook groups with points to rent. Not sure if less owners are using brokers to cut out the middle-man for more profit. I sure am, but I rarely rent mine out.

I'm a Mod in an FB Rental group - we get at least 10 applications from people looking to rent, for every one Owner.
We rarely rent out our points, but did twice in the past year. Each time the price was about $22-23pp, and each took under an hour to sell.
The days of easy/open availability are gone, but Renters who are flexible (dates, resorts, room size, open to split days) have the best chance right now with a number of dedicated reservations available.

I'm a Mod in an FB Rental group - we get at least 10 applications from people looking to rent, for every one Owner.
We rarely rent out our points, but did twice in the past year. Each time the price was about $22-23pp, and each took under an hour to sell.
The days of easy/open availability are gone, but Renters who are flexible (dates, resorts, room size, open to split days) have the best chance right now with a number of dedicated reservations available.
What FB group are you in? I am interested in renting points that I can't use next year but still learning about the process.

What FB group are you in? I am interested in renting points that I can't use next year but still learning about the process.
look at the Disboards rent/trade - it's a great place to learn, as well as to rent points. If you want further info, you can PM me (you just need more posts to do so). Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter