Harboring a Rebel Spy - 9 days at the YC, many firsts for these vets - Updated 12/22

And caught up! For now. :cool1:

It has been awhile since we have been on the speedway and I think even longer for me than the guys because I always seem to find a reason to skip it. Sounds like it was worth if for the fun memories.

Great picture of the 3 of you on the TTA (or should I say Space Mountain).

Your review does not tempt me to rush right back to see the Country Bears. My husband and I have seen this show about a gazillion times in our early park days, but I think we have only taken the boys once.

Awesome pictures of the FoF parade. Everyone seems to love it.

:woohoo: on more Big Thunder- my favorite Disney ride!

We have not dined at WCC- looks like fun and sounds like you enjoyed the food and juice.

;)

I also have to say we love the dark side, my DD 15, loves the thrill rides and WWoHP so much. We spent one day there on our November trip so fun, it was so quiet so we did everything in one day. We go to WDW 1-2x every year and we always do one day at US/IOA.

Don't worry, my DD still loves all things disney even with her love for the dark side. I have to say I love the dark side as well, it is amazing in HP areas. The design and HP rides are so cool.

We also had to wait forever one night for a boat back to MK, we were eating at Trails End at FW, we did get to see the MK fireworks on the way back so that did help, it was cold and we are from MN. So we are use to cold weather.

Joining in -- and loving your TR so far! What a fun family --- your trip is off to a great start! :goodvibes

We stayed at YC for the first time on our last trip, and really loved it (and the easy access to Epcot, DHS, and BW!)!

Subbin in a little late. Can't wait to see what you guys think of WCC. We always have good luck at there and it is a staple of ours. Helps that we have some crazy kids too. Well, they aren't kids anymore though.

Hey, the drinks I get in the Crew's cup are a little bit different than the teas and coffee's your hubs got there! :rotfl2:

Waitin patiently for the next update.

This I am reading (and posting about) out of sequence.

We LOVE the Dark Side!!! Our Disney-loving family is going for the 3rd time in February. Our last trip was a split stay in July 2013, Universal 3 nights and 4 nights at Disney.

The Harry Potter stuff is amazing and a lot of the other rides are a blast. Definitely a trip that it is important that the kids be willing to try some of the thrill rides.

There are some great trip reports out there, but if I can answer any questions for you, let me know!

:thumbsup2

I am sure I will have plenty. So far all I have looked into it ticket prices. OMGOSH - should I really spring for the Fastpass thingee? AJ and Leah love thrill rides. Leah will ride absolutely anything and AJ only dislikes free fall drops, like ToT and that Tower thing at 6Flags. Paige is mosre cautious, but I think she is too short for most stuff at Uni anyway... I would assume she will not make it to 48 inches by June. She is about 45 now. I am contemplating leaving her at the condo with my parents but I feel mama guilt about that....

We struggled when we were trying to come up with names for our long-awaited firstborn, who arrived 13 years after we were married.

We heard the name Nathan, which means "Gift from God" and we loved it.

The rest of our family, however, did not. My mom asked "What else is on the list?"

And as it turns out, Nate has interpreted the meaning of his name to be "God's Gift" as he has quite a healthy appreciation of himself.

:goodvibes

I have never gotten the Memory Maker with ride photos, but I thought the borders came automatically. We had photopass with rides in Disneyland this summer and I didn't have to do anything extra.

:confused3

I love aboy with confidence!!!!! My brother's name is Jonathan, which also means "gift from God." And he reminds me of that. Often.

I also have to say we love the dark side, my DD 15, loves the thrill rides and WWoHP so much. We spent one day there on our November trip so fun, it was so quiet so we did everything in one day. We go to WDW 1-2x every year and we always do one day at US/IOA.

Don't worry, my DD still loves all things disney even with her love for the dark side. I have to say I love the dark side as well, it is amazing in HP areas. The design and HP rides are so cool.

We also had to wait forever one night for a boat back to MK, we were eating at Trails End at FW, we did get to see the MK fireworks on the way back so that did help, it was cold and we are from MN. So we are use to cold weather.

My kids have both read all the books, and my son espcially enjoyed them, so I think they will really enjoy the HP areas. Which has the "better stuff" - IOA or US?

Ok, so Minnestoa.. will you go to waterparks in 60 degree weather? :goodvibes

Joining in -- and loving your TR so far! What a fun family --- your trip is off to a great start! :goodvibes

We stayed at YC for the first time on our last trip, and really loved it (and the easy access to Epcot, DHS, and BW!)!

It is a fabulous lcoation! plus, the pool rocks!:thumbsup2

Subbin in a little late. Can't wait to see what you guys think of WCC. We always have good luck at there and it is a staple of ours. Helps that we have some crazy kids too. Well, they aren't kids anymore though.

Hey, the drinks I get in the Crew's cup are a little bit different than the teas and coffee's your hubs got there! :rotfl2:

Waitin patiently for the next update.

We will visit there sometime in my chapters for Day 4 and we will find that we like those beverages even more than filling our mugs in the am! :lmao:

It was in this gift shop that I saw mugs for WL. I later saw BC mugs at the Marketplace. I knew I wanted a YC mug as my souvenir this trip - I always get a mug as my souvenir. Unless we are cruising DCL, then I get a tervis tumbler. But Fittings and Fairings did not carry YC mugs. The nice CM did not tell me if they were out or if they just never existed, but he was clear in the fact that I would not be able to take home a YC mug. :sad1:
The CM at the WL giftshop explained that Disney was limiting their resort themed items to the resorts that have DVC's and I think she said AoA, too. So that is why you saw BC and WL themed items but not YC.

Right as we were seated the unfortunate family next to us made the mistake of asking for ketchup. You all know what happens next. AJ and Leah burst into laughter, and we flipped that disc to green, baby.

My kids pretty much wanted to do anything and everything they could to get "in trouble." They asked for spoons (our neighbors had the big spoon but we were just told to let the shake melt for awhile), napkins, and of course, ketchup.
Our favorite part was when the dad at the table beside us got in trouble and had to eat the remainder of his meal in a Wanted poster. Yes, his head was sticking out of a wooden frame marked "wanted." We have never laughed so hard. I want DH to build me one so when one of my varmints starts acting up at dinner I can stick that little you-know-what in a wanted poster.

Daddy had to do the Little Teapot.

We loved this meal. It was fun and pretty yummy.
What a fun evening! I can see why this restaurant is so popular. :)

We ate both breakfast and dinner here on our last trip and it was a lot of fun. But we never saw the Wanted poster trick or the little teapot thing. :( Our grandson got to ride his "horse" around the restaurant with the other kids. And our waiter showed up at our table dressed like this when we asked for ketchup:

ketchup_zps0e5256be.jpg

What followed next was the oddest and worst experience with Disney transportation I have ever had. Actually, it is probably the only truly bad experience with Disney transportation I have ever had.

It was about 8:30pm and freezing cold out (ok.... 48 degrees - freezing to Texans) and we were waiting for the boat back to MK. The couple waiting when we got there said they'd been waiting 20 minutes so it should be there any minute. Um, no. Boat after boat came by for the campground. After awhile, we asked the captain of the campground boat when a boat would come from MK. He radioed and said, he is on his way. Well, he arrived about 10 minutes later (about 30 minutes of waiting at this point) and said, folks I am the MK boat, but I have to drop people at the campground first. So, if you want to go to the campground, hop on. Then if there is room the MK folks can board. So this occurs. And there is room for two more. So the couple ahead of us gets on. The dad waiting behind us is not having this. He asks when the MK boat is going to come to actually go to MK? The captain goes inside the boat to radio something. He was gone a solid 5 minutes on his radio. I can understand why the people behind us are getting upset - it was a party night and their time was slipping away. So the CM comes abck out and says, "ok we will go to Mk first but we have no more room so after we drop people at Mk (the two ahead of us) we will drop the campground folks and come back for you." I asked, "are you the campground boat or MK?" because they were in the MK slip. He says, Mk. I had no response because it made no real sense to me. But about 20 minutes later he was back with an empty boat and we all boarded and went to MK. Total wait time - 65 minutes. Very very odd. I can only guess something was going on over the campgrounds... But that long of a wait on a party night was just not right. We were cold, too. But not nearly as cranky as those going to MVMCP, and I have to say if I were them I would not have been a happy camper (bad pun!), either. Of course, I also would've arrived at the party WAY before :30 (when we started waiting for the boat), but that is just me.

That is really an unacceptable wait time. They should never have left people on the dock for that long. :sad2: We've stayed at the WL many times and the boats are usually really good. The only times we've seen the boats messed up like that is when the Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness is loading and unloading passengers. Then the wait can be pretty bad. You must have hit the perfect storm of one HDDR show ending and another one starting.

If you ever go to WL for dinner at WCC again then take the bus instead (or drive). The bus ride from WL to MK is direct and takes about five minutes.

It was fun and I would recommend it! I hope we stay at WL someday... some of my urgency to do so has faded after visiting. Maybe this is just because we loved YC so much. but I would still like to spend some time at WL at some point.

I am heading over to your TR now... I want to know what was left on the toilet...

:rotfl2: I literally laughed at loud reading that comment! Hee hee hee

You will have a lovely time! June should be comparable to your weather on your short September trip. I've gone twice in March and all my other trips were in July or August. It's the teacher thing! LOL

I have not stayed off site though, but I am willing if my family ever travels when I can. This last trip I was glad we hadn't because I took off on my own a few times. LOL

I loved Universal. Especially the Harry Potter areas. If they are HP fans, they will love that. As for thrill rides, nothing beat Busch for that! It was unbelievable!

The CM at the WL giftshop explained that Disney was limiting their resort themed items to the resorts that have DVC's and I think she said AoA, too. So that is why you saw BC and WL themed items but not YC. What a fun evening! I can see why this restaurant is so popular. :) We ate both breakfast and dinner here on our last trip and it was a lot of fun. But we never saw the Wanted poster trick or the little teapot thing. :( Our grandson got to ride his "horse" around the restaurant with the other kids. And our waiter showed up at our table dressed like this when we asked for ketchup: That is really an unacceptable wait time. They should never have left people on the dock for that long. :sad2: We've stayed at the WL many times and the boats are usually really good. The only times we've seen the boats messed up like that is when the Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness is loading and unloading passengers. Then the wait can be pretty bad. You must have hit the perfect storm of one HDDR show ending and another one starting. If you ever go to WL for dinner at WCC again then take the bus instead (or drive). The bus ride from WL to MK is direct and takes about five minutes.

Oh my gosh. I told the people behind us (several families) that maybe we should go wait for the bus. They all told me that there isn't a bus between MK and WL. Since they were guests there I took their word. D'oh!!!!!!!

Thanks for explaining the mug thing, too.... Makes sense!!!!! A YC mug would be adorable, though.....

We slept in on Day 4. The original plan for this day, Nov 22, was to go to Universal. However, while planing this trip we also began planning a subsequent trip in June 2015. So we decided just to hold off a bit longer and save universal for the summer. Since we already had one entire resort day built into this current trip, we made this a half-Epcot/half-DTD day. With a late morning wake up.

We are late risers. All of us.

So since a full Epcot day was planned out for the very next day, this became quick day with one real goal: ride Soarin'. AJ had not beein on the new test track yet, but Troy and I had. He was jonesin', but we reminded him many times that we would ride it twice tomorrow. Today we were riding Soarin' - which we couldn't get a FP for tomorrow due to the awesome (not) tier system.

So we slept in, availed ourselves of the mug refill station and muffins in the Crews Cup, and started our day about 9am. We took the amazing walk to EP. Wow - I really love the ease of the alk from YC to EP. If you are wondering if it is long: it isn't. If you are wondering if you can do it: you can. It is a pretty walk and over so quickly.

This day was pretty warm. I think it got up into the mid-70s. Hence, no mittens.

We arrived at the IG and we all scanned our MBs. Leah's turned blue. Oops, try again sweetie. Over and over. "Same finger, sweetie?" Finally the man with the iPad said, just go on in. We never saw a green but he waved us in so in we went. We just thought it was a fluke, like the time I tried to pay for a margarita on the BW and that thing never would turn green. I think Mickey was trying to tell me something. At any rate, we wil revisit this MB/mitten snafu tomorrow when we enter Epcot again.

In we go.

DSC_1074_zpsd571f175.jpg

Already the kids were asking to ride TT. I opened my app and showed them a wait time of 5o minutes. They piped down. For now. "We are here today to ride Soarin'" I reiterated.

We also made FP+s for Nemo and Friends (we hadn't ridden it since AJ was 5), and SE.

Epcot is my favorite park. I just love the feel of it. Some cuteness:
DSC_1078_zps9f075741.jpg

And arriving at SE, wait time 5 minutes. And yet we will still use our FP+. Whythe heck not?
DSC_1082_zpsdbe34fdc.jpg

As always, we had a thrilling ride through the past, and then a very illuminating glimpse into our future.
DSC_1085_zpsd4597012.jpg

Seriously, though, we love this ride. We try to always make sure we end up drinking coofee at the end. For some reason that scene just thrills us to no end.

Next up it was time for that Soarin' FP+. At this point our biggest daredevil, Leah, voiced her unwelcome opinion that Soarin' was "getting old." I glanced at hubs and mouthed "universal." Sorry Disney. But when kids grow up on Disney you have to grow up with them. I want Disney to remain a "family park" very much, just as Disney does... and families go way beyond preschoolers and toddlers in Mom's lap. Time for more thrills and chills, Imagineers!

We enjoyed Soarin' as always in spite of it's "lameness" and then we all discussed how Putty is the best party and the film needs to go HD. The we boarded Living With The Land. Because the wait was 0 and because we always tease AJ that this is his favorite ride. As a little dude he was quite taken with it. I have video of him riding through it looking like it was Christmas and his birthday all at once.

And now he knows a "this is your favorite ride" pic is coming so he does this:
DSC_1092_zps4f97bb19.jpg

At this point we were getting peckish. It was about 11am... we started to meander our way over to WS with no concrete lunch plans... just planning to find a quick service that appealed to everyone. Ha. As if that were possible.

Love this tree:
DSC_1098_zps212d2b63.jpg

And this view:
DSC_1103_zps643d5c4b.jpg

We ended up eating at Liberty Inn. Leah loves the grilled chicken sandwich here and she hadn't been eating much so this seemed like a good choice. It was a good meal (I had the crab cakes) and everyone cleaned their plates. A success. But I do not like the birds that fly in here. I am anti-bird. AJ urged me to check the TT wait time, and it was 80 minutes. The park seemed kinda dead so this was a surprise, but I reminded him yet again that we would be back all day tomorrow, and today we were just here to ride Soarin'.

So back across the lagoon we go to ride The Seas with Nemo and Friends. After it was over, AJ vocied that the best part was the seagulls outiside intoning "mine mine mine mine mine." I thought it was cuter than I had remembered from 7 yeas ago. And the Starfish at the end is so funny. Annndd... as a bonus they sing our new fave song:"In the biiiiiiiig bluuuuuuue worrllllldddddd." So that ear worm was abck with a vengeance.

DSC_1111_zpsb7a93f5a.jpg

A quick ride on Figment, because my 12 year son who acts 17 has an unusal love for the purple dragon.
DSC_1115_zps82be68c5.jpg

I know these pictures are terrible, but I obey the "no flash photography" law.

After this it was back through the IG and back to YC for mug refills and a walk around the pool. It was becoming warmer, but still only about 70 degrees. Not hot enough for our thin TX blood. We had an evening in DTD planned, so we rested up a bit. In other words, we watched classic Mickey cartoons with a side of Stacy.

The walk from YC to Epcot cannot be beat!!

I would love a little updating of Soarin' -- we still enjoy it, but a refresh might be nice :)

I am anti-bird too -- they kind of gross me out. Well, except for at Flametree in AK :confused3

Sounds like a fun and relaxing trip over to Epcot!

The walk from YC to Epcot cannot be beat!!

I would love a little updating of Soarin' -- we still enjoy it, but a refresh might be nice :)

I am anti-bird too -- they kind of gross me out. Well, except for at Flametree in AK :confused3

Sounds like a fun and relaxing trip over to Epcot!

it was a lovely few hours at Epcot... and hassle-free thanks to the short little walk over. Usually we are taking a bus to a park and feel pretty entrenched for the day. Loved this about YC. I think it would be amazing to stay there during F&W.

Fun times. Yucky wait time for Test Track though. Nothing like teasing a child a little bit! Or anyone else, for that matter! But just a little tease, nothing too serious.

How long was the walk from the YC to Epcot? I'm really looking forward to that! :)

I am enjoying your TR. We were there during the same time period, but a shorter trip. Saturday the 22nd was raining most of the day, I am not noticing that on your pictures, but we were at AK to start our day. I love the short walk from YC to IG, it is such a pretty walk. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.:coffee:

How long was the walk from the YC to Epcot? I'm really looking forward to that! :)

It depends on where your room is located, but from the YC lobby to the International Gateway took us about eight minutes. It is one of the nicest things about staying at an Epcot resort. :)

Just found your trip report and enjoying it very much! I love your sense of humor! Can't wait to read more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter