Happy Saint Patrick's Day 2024

I’ve always been told I’m half Italian and half French, my mothers French. But turns out I’m only 5 percent Italian, 45 percent Irish, 20 percent Germanic European and 30 percent north Western European. Had no idea I was Irish at all.
Have you been to Ireland before?

Happy St Patrick's Day everyone. I woke up today to my darling grandkids. Their Daddy (my oldest) came in late last night after an NCAA game in Ft Wayne. My DS played basketball with one of the coaches years ago.

They all left by 10 but it was an awesome way to start St Patrick's Day. Now I just need to see a pic of the green river in Chicago....where my love for this holiday really began. :shamrock:

I’ve been to England but never Ireland. Plan on going next year though. My family’s from Enniskillen, Fermanagh in Northern Ireland. I found their marriage and birth records on Ancestry. Really cool.
That's awsome. I have no clue currently where my Irish ancestry is from yet. Alot of British and Irish married throughout the colonial era but the records can be hard to find.

I’ve been to England but never Ireland. Plan on going next year though. My family’s from Enniskillen, Fermanagh in Northern Ireland. I found their marriage and birth records on Ancestry. Really cool.
Did they come over to the USA before the Irish Civil War or after? I'm curious because you might be able to find more records during the time of the conflict and allowing you to go farther back in your history.

https://discovernorthernireland.com/destinations/county-fermanagh

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/archives-family-and-local-history

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/birth-marriage-death-scotland-and-ireland/

I heard three leaf ☘️ are hard to find and that 4 leaf is more common. 🤷‍♂️
Maybe? I used to get small shamrock plants every Spring from a local grocery store but haven't tried in the last few years. Still, you would think they would use a shamrock instead of a 4 leaf clover on their flags.

They came over in 1890
Did you track that family line further than that and if so, how many years? If you can track it back to 1850's or before you can probably find British military records to help since many men in the UK fought in many of Britain's war campaigns in the 19th century.

Sunny spells and scattered showers - you can pretty much count on that almost every day.

The best days in Ireland are Christmas and Summer. ;)

It really not that bad, but it can seem like it sometimes.

Bottom line is you don't go to Ireland for the weather.
It was pretty nice when we were there end of May 2017. Only one day of soaking rain.

My nephew who has lived there since 2010 is wanting to get out. He's been working some in Florida and really prefers the weather there.

Interesting. My mom is from Leitrim, which is just SW of Fermanagh, and she left at 16 because the only prospect for her was to be a farmer's wife, and she did not want that.

I do come from Irish ... Great Grandma (I knew her) was born to Irish parents in England. I've never been but DH has and loves it there. I'll gladly claim my green DNA. 💚

Normally we do the wearing green and the official meal etc BUT soccer match tonight! ATLUTD vs the nemesis Orlando City. So we had our special meal last week but DH had his Guinness for lunch.

1710713927547.png

I do come from Irish ... Great Grandma (I knew her) was born to Irish parents in England. I've never been but DH has and loves it there. I'll gladly claim my green DNA. 💚

Normally we do the wearing green and the official meal etc BUT soccer match tonight! ATLUTD vs the nemesis Orlando City. So we had our special meal last week but DH had his Guinness for lunch.

View attachment 842680
As a NYCFC fan, please win tonight against Disney FC (the match is at 7pm ET on FS1 if anyone is interested).

View attachment 842680
Have you traced that family ancestry farther than that?

It was pretty nice when we were there end of May 2017. Only one day of soaking rain.

My nephew who has lived there since 2010 is wanting to get out. He's been working some in Florida and really prefers the weather there.

Interesting. My mom is from Leitrim, which is just SW of Fermanagh, and she left at 16 because the only prospect for her was to be a farmer's wife, and she did not want that.
Have you traced that family line back?

My Mom always knew she had family back in Cork because she showed me a letter years ago to her mother from a cousin, I believe. She also had done some research in the 1990s, and as far as I know, there is still family there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter