Hanging up my running shoes

It is hard to walk in races so early and I am nervous about doing it at my first non-disney half at the end of the month. I feel like I still have a lot to learn and a lot of room for improvement and just need to buckle down and do it. When you started, did you follow the plan of 2 days during the week (30 min) and LR on the weekend like the plan suggests? I have been doing that with occasionally a 4th run, but I feel like I need to commit to 4 days/week. I also currently am using a 60 sec walk break and know I need to adjust to 30 sec, but changing intervals seems hard!

It can be really tough at first to walk if it's a crowded race and certainly many races still don't have a lot of Galloway racers. Honestly, I only saw a couple of other people near us who were doing intervals yesterday, although I heard someone at one point talking about it behind us. They were actually just explaining it to someone else and saying how they think it would be hard to do - training yourself to start running again after walking that is. I think people underestimate the need to train to interval running. They assume it's easier I think then just straight running and that's not necessarily the case if you aren't used to it. We do often just run at a slower pace out of the start corrals until we feel like there is adequate space to get into our intervals, but I've also done races where we did them right from the start. As long as you are aware of who is around you and signal your walks, you'll be fine. Just don't let anybody make you feel bad and run YOUR race.

We have always run the 3 days a week until this year. I finally acknowledged that for a marathon training plan, it just isn't enough miles to be truly trained. It was good enough to complete the distance, but not to feel really strong doing it. Moving to 4 days a week this cycle and increasing the distance on our maintenance runs has really made a difference.

Changing intervals WAS hard. Not gonna lie. We did it a couple of years ago, and that first year was tough. It took us a few months to truly adapt, but once we did, there is no doubt that it helped our speed. What interval do you run right now? Consider just gradually shifting the intervals, so if you currently run a 2:00/1:00, maybe do a week of 1:45/:45 and then maybe 1:30/:40 and then 1:00/:30. That way it doesn't feel as abrupt and you can adjust to it over time. Know that it will take an adjustment and if you need to take more time to adapt, then take more time. Once you get used to it, a minute of walking will feel like forever.

I'm with you on the 26-mile training runs...:scared:

sub-5 is totally doable - you've got this! :yay:

Yes on those training runs. I'm a devoted fan of Jeff Galloway, but I think that final long run just is too much fatigue before race day. Maybe the first time for that mental aspect of knowing you can go 26 miles, but I don't need that piece of it and just want to have a good race. Thanks for your confidence. I think I can do it too!

ZellyB Smash! Awesome run! Congratulations, nothing like that going to puke feeling knowing you gave it your all!

Thank you. Not sure I want to have that puke feeling too often, but it absolutely did affirm for me that I did all I could do that day.

It can be really tough at first to walk if it's a crowded race and certainly many races still don't have a lot of Galloway racers. Honestly, I only saw a couple of other people near us who were doing intervals yesterday, although I heard someone at one point talking about it behind us. They were actually just explaining it to someone else and saying how they think it would be hard to do - training yourself to start running again after walking that is. I think people underestimate the need to train to interval running. They assume it's easier I think then just straight running and that's not necessarily the case if you aren't used to it. We do often just run at a slower pace out of the start corrals until we feel like there is adequate space to get into our intervals, but I've also done races where we did them right from the start. As long as you are aware of who is around you and signal your walks, you'll be fine. Just don't let anybody make you feel bad and run YOUR race.

We have always run the 3 days a week until this year. I finally acknowledged that for a marathon training plan, it just isn't enough miles to be truly trained. It was good enough to complete the distance, but not to feel really strong doing it. Moving to 4 days a week this cycle and increasing the distance on our maintenance runs has really made a difference.

Changing intervals WAS hard. Not gonna lie. We did it a couple of years ago, and that first year was tough. It took us a few months to truly adapt, but once we did, there is no doubt that it helped our speed. What interval do you run right now? Consider just gradually shifting the intervals, so if you currently run a 2:00/1:00, maybe do a week of 1:45/:45 and then maybe 1:30/:40 and then 1:00/:30. That way it doesn't feel as abrupt and you can adjust to it over time. Know that it will take an adjustment and if you need to take more time to adapt, then take more time. Once you get used to it, a minute of walking will feel like forever.

Thank you so much for your feedback- I really really appreciate it!

I like your approach to switch intervals- I am currently running a 2:00/1:00 and am thinking of switching to 60/30, with a goal of 90/30 eventually. I am hesitant to switch with only 4 weeks before my half though- something to ponder when my mind wanders during my conf call this afternoon. :) And then after this half, I haven't nailed down my next goal, so that might switch things too.... but if I want to talk about that, I should start my own journal, not pollute yours. ;)

Thank you so much for your feedback- I really really appreciate it!

I like your approach to switch intervals- I am currently running a 2:00/1:00 and am thinking of switching to 60/30, with a goal of 90/30 eventually. I am hesitant to switch with only 4 weeks before my half though- something to ponder when my mind wanders during my conf call this afternoon. :) And then after this half, I haven't nailed down my next goal, so that might switch things too.... but if I want to talk about that, I should start my own journal, not pollute yours. ;)

Ha HA! Pollute away. Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't change anything just 4 weeks out from your race, but you could certainly play with it afterwards.

A cow-bell and beer! Exactly what everyone needs after a new PR. And feeling like you're going to puke after crossing the finish line definitely means you earned that PR!! I'm with @Ariel484 on the T-shirt slogan :rotfl2:.

I'm also with you both that no one needs to do a 26 mile trianing run, before their 26 mile run.

A cow-bell and beer! Exactly what everyone needs after a new PR. And feeling like you're going to puke after crossing the finish line definitely means you earned that PR!! I'm with @Ariel484 on the T-shirt slogan :rotfl2:.

I'm also with you both that no one needs to do a 26 mile trianing run, before their 26 mile run.

Right? Beer and cowbell is a magical combination!!

Glad we are all in agreement that it's okay for me to shorten my final training run. :D

If I’m running that far, there had better be a friggin’ medal at the end. ::yes::

Regarding cowbell, I did see a spectator on the course this weekend in full Blue Oyster Cult costume - wig, cowbell and the shirt with tummy - tapping that cowbell to a solid Don't Fear the Reaper beat. Regardless of my physical and emotional condition at the time, I was still able to yell out, "More cowbell!"

Regarding cowbell, I did see a spectator on the course this weekend in full Blue Oyster Cult costume - wig, cowbell and the shirt with tummy - tapping that cowbell to a solid Don't Fear the Reaper beat. Regardless of my physical and emotional condition at the time, I was still able to yell out, "More cowbell!"

So much win in this post!!

Psssh 26 miles. You can't pay me to run that much (I will however pay Disney since they give me a medal at the end). I'm sure 22 or 23 would be more than enough. Plus you've run it before (or at least Goofy which is close to it) so you probably know what you need better than Jeff in this situation.

Psssh 26 miles. You can't pay me to run that much (I will however pay Disney since they give me a medal at the end). I'm sure 22 or 23 would be more than enough. Plus you've run it before (or at least Goofy which is close to it) so you probably know what you need better than Jeff in this situation.

I'm glad we are all agreed. :D I'll wait for our leader to send out the route and then try to figure out a good spot for my car drop.

Agree, that is definitely going to be my mantra for Dopey!

Maybe I'd could get one of those shoestring things made custom with that. Nobody could probably read it from that far away, but I'd KNOW it was there. ;)

Post-Race Rest Week
October 1-7(8)
giphy.gif

Sunday 10/1 - Mo' Cowbell race day. Our plan was to do a pretty normal week of training this week.
Monday 10/2 - First day plan change. My legs were pretty sore and tired and I was pretty exhausted, so we opted to just sleep in and let the legs recover.
Tuesday 10/3 - I had an early morning meeting, so no time to run today. I figured it couldn't hurt to rest my legs some more as they were still a bit sore.
Wednesday 10/4 - We got up with a plan to run a pretty easy 4 doing 2:00/:30 intervals. My legs were tired, but manageable, but my hamstring on my right leg was pretty sore. I thought it just needed to work itself out, but around 2 miles in it still was no better. I didn't want to risk pushing it and pulling it, so we just opted to walk back to the car. Total distance was just about 3.3 miles and pace of 15:02.
Thursday - Saturday - Chris was out of town for a conference, so no running. I guess I decided to REALLY relax.
387843547a31824073876dacc470ae0c.gif

Sunday 10/8 - Our Galloway group did a local race, so no group run, so we sent out a message to anyone in our pace group who might want to run with us on Sunday for 8 miles. We had two takers and this ended up being a good run. My legs felt good again and the hamstring was back to normal. YAY! 8 miles doing :90/:30. I really didn't try to track pace much, just went with what felt good. Overall pace 10:08. Felt like a good, easy run.

We are ready to get back into a regular schedule this week, although again may keep the miles down just a bit in anticipation of the LONG run this Saturday. Temps right now projected to be in the 80s! WHAT? Fall!!! Where are you?!?!
tenor.gif

Last edited:
I want to be that sloth!

Also, awesome job with the 8 miles at a good pace post race week. (Are u a superhero?)

Haha! We ALL want to be that sloth!

Great job this week! No shame in taking it easy after killing it at your race the week before.

15:02?!?! You should probably consider the Olympic trials in 2020. 8-)

Oops!! Yeah, I wish that was total time. Let's say overall pace instead. Off to edit. :)

HUGE congratulations to you for that awesome race!! It's been so inspiring to see your amazing training cycle and it's so fun to see how it paid off!! :cool1::cool1:

Glad you took the time to relax, and that your hamstring is feeling better! I feel like we got a little tease of the fall and now it has retreated. COME BACK, FALL! I MISS YOU!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter