HalloweenTime at DLR Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1st page is absolutely beautiful, Sherry!

Thank You for your amazing and time consuming work, in organizing and preparing everything for the benefit of the rest of us!!!

So thrilled for this thread----I bow!:worship:

Hi Sherry! Thank you for setting up the new HalloweenTime Superthread! I can't wait to start to talking about HalloweenTime 2014!

Just to kick it off...my favorite of the recent HMH gingerbread houses! This is the one from 2011.
DSC_0081_1.jpg

DSC_0085_1.jpg

Last year, I think they announced the dates in June with tickets going on sale in July. There might be some preliminary HalloweenTime information coming out soon (with the next AP Backstage Newsletter), but as we learned last year, it's all preliminary until they start selling tickets. In terms of the party, you'll see a nice mixture of in-costume and non-costumed guests. It's a good enough balance that neither group feels out of place. So if you want to wear a costume, I say go for it*! If you don't want to wear a costume, you don't have to.

*MHP is one of the only chances adults have to wear a costume to the parks. There are some rules about the costumes, but for the most part is boils down to wear something safe and something that is appropriate for a family-focused event.

Looks great Sherry and I am so excited we get to go during Halloween this year. We are planning a MHP as Star Wars characters. :cheer2::cheer2: So Excited:cheer2::cheer2:

FigmentJii awesome pictures of the houses!

Kris

The 1st page is absolutely beautiful, Sherry!

Thank You for your amazing and time consuming work, in organizing and preparing everything for the benefit of the rest of us!!!

So thrilled for this thread----I bow!:worship:

Hello, figment_jii and Kris!

Welcome, everyone!

I cannot manage a photo of the HMH gingerbread house to save my life, so I am thrilled that there are others who have managed to get nice clear shots of it!

I think Star Wars characters sound like a great idea for costumes!

Welcome, Cheshirecatty!:banana: Thank you for the kind words!

:dancer:

I will post the pictures from Oct. 30th from MHP. I will also post pictures of what costumes I will be wearing this year to MHP.

SherryE, you have my curiosity piqued, tell me more about the Ray Bradbury tree and the Halloween Carnival.

I will post the pictures from Oct. 30th from MHP. I will also post pictures of what costumes I will be wearing this year to MHP.

Kilala --

Awesome! Your photos are always so much fun!

SherryE, you have my curiosity piqued, tell me more about the Ray Bradbury tree and the Halloween Carnival.

Hello and welcome, pixiepirate!:wave::cheer2:

The Ray Bradbury Halloween Tree was introduced to Disneyland in 2007, if I recall. The tree itself may have technically been there (in Frontierland) before (I'm not sure) and was then dedicated in Ray Bradbury's name in 2007. It's a rather unassuming-looking tree in the daytime -- it is easy to walk past it and not even really notice. It doesn't particularly stand out, though the pumpkin ornaments on it all have interesting facial expressions. At night it's a whole different story, as it glows with bright orange-ish red lights.

This was our Theme Week Countdown intro post featuring the Halloween Tree in 2012, including a photo of the dedication plaque -- Here.

This was the tree in the daytime, in September 2013:

IMG_8390.jpg

IMG_8393.jpg

IMG_8399.jpg

IMG_8401.jpg

This was the tree at night in September 2013 (I also posted a thumbnail of it in the first post on page 1, which is the one with the moon hovering nearby):

IMG_8570.jpg

As for the Halloween Carnival...

The Carnival (a.k.a. the Halloween Roundup) is next to the Ranch/BBQ in Frontierland and is one of the main areas of Halloween Time activity and decor during the Halloween season. This is where you will find a petting zoo (the little animals wear Halloween-themed scarves); very talented pumpkin carvers/artists; Pirates League (where kids can get pirate makeovers); Conjure a Villain (where you can meet one Villain at a time); candy corn-colored cotton candy; various Halloween-themed crafts and games; and characters in Halloween-themed attire.

You will also find all sorts of autumnal touches around the Carnival and the Roundup, including (what I call) "pumpkin people" -- or various pumpkin figures who might be holding instruments, dressed as a pirate, singing opera, etc. There are card playing cowboy pumpkin people inside the Scare-Dy Crow Shack, which serves as a place to display vintage Halloween decorations and nothing else.

Here are some photos of the Carnival from 2013:

Halloween Carnival 2013, Part 1

Halloween Carnival 2013, Part 2

My Halloween Roundup photos from the Theme Week Countdown of 2012, including my "pumpkin palooza" pictures -- Here, Here, Here, Here, Here, and Here

Bret/mvf-m11c's Roundup photos from the Countdown of 2012 - Here.

From Bret/mvf-m11c - Including some Halloween Carnival shots - September 2013

More photos from Bret/mvf-m11c - September 2013

:dancer:

I should take a look at the tree next time I'm there when it's not Halloween to see if the plaque changes (I think it must), but this was the plaque by the tree last year.

09TreeSign_1.jpg

I cannot manage a photo of the HMH gingerbread house to save my life, so I am thrilled that there are others who have managed to get nice clear shots of it!
:rotfl: You should see how many photos I have of the gingerbread house(s) that did not come out! As they say, it takes a lot of photos to get one good one! Thank goodness digital film is cheap. :rotfl:

Figment….I don't think we've ever stopped to read that plaque!

We will have to do that this October---Thanks for posting!:)

Checking in , and Subscribing!!!

Cannot thank you enough for the Super Threads.

:-D

Welcome aboard, Vintage Mouseketeer! Thank you for joining in, and thank you for the kind words!

I should take a look at the tree next time I'm there when it's not Halloween to see if the plaque changes (I think it must), but this was the plaque by the tree last year.

09TreeSign_1.jpg

:rotfl: You should see how many photos I have of the gingerbread house(s) that did not come out! As they say, it takes a lot of photos to get one good one! Thank goodness digital film is cheap. :rotfl:

figment_jii --

I know that to be true, because even though I don't have a million photos of the gingerbread house inside HMH, I have a million photos of other things. I keep snapping until I get one that I'm happy with for many things! I will stand there by the GCH Christmas tree and keep snapping until I get one that I like.

You got some good HMH pictures!

I do wonder if that oak tree was there in Frontierland all along, and then just became the Ray Bradbury tree in 2007! Lol.

figment_jii -- You should post some of your extra-fun Halloween Treats photos (like the ones you posted in the Dining thread quite a while back)! I think everyone would enjoy seeing those very much! (The idea just popped into my head this very second!)

Figment….I don't think we've ever stopped to read that plaque!

We will have to do that this October---Thanks for posting!:)

Cheshirecatty --

I think a lot of people overlook it, as I mentioned to Janet earlier. The tree doesn't really stand out as being a Ray Bradbury tree. It just looks like a tree with pumpkin ornaments. At night it actually gets people's attention!

Did you read the plaque and see the masks on it? (There is also a close-up photo of it in the very first link I posted above, where it says "This was our Theme Week Countdown intro post featuring the Halloween Tree in 2012, including a photo of the dedication plaque..." It's the first photo.) I am guessing that the faces are from Ray Bradbury's story, "The Halloween Tree"?? I'm not sure, but it would make sense.

I just subscribed. I have been at Halloween but many years ago before Ghost Galaxy and MHP. I am very excited to see both. :hmghost:

Oh my goodness Sherry…

I just checked out the 2012 link, and I love the closeup of the plaque!

I don't know how I missed seeing that particular picture in that thread, but thanks so much for specifically directing me to it!!!!!

By the way, I've never taken day time pics of the Ray Bradbury tree, or recall seeing any, but yours are fantastic!::yes::

I'm here! *HI*

I'm so excited for our Halloweentime trip this year. Now the pressure is on to find the kids some great costumes since they'll have more than just TOT around here to wear them at!

I'm here too! Hoping to go again this year! Yay!! Thanks Sherry for all that you do. This thread is fantastic!!

I'm here too! So excited about our fist family trip to DLR at Halloweentime! Thanks for this thread; I know it must be a ton of work. Can't wait to see where it goes...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm going to have to temporarily disappear and hope that figment_jii, Cheshirecatty, Kilala, Kristin (if she makes it over here), Bret/mvf-m11c, Vintage Mousketeer, crystal1313 and any other Halloween Time visitors jump in and tackle questions here as they come in...or I might never get page 1 finished!

I have to 'unpack the boxes and set up the rooms in the new house,' shall we say, which will require some organization and moving things around between posts (rooms).:rotfl2:

I know and trust that all of my knowledgeable fellow Halloween Time vets and fans can shed insight and give help when needed!

I just subscribed. I have been at Halloween but many years ago before Ghost Galaxy and MHP. I am very excited to see both. :hmghost:

Welcome, DLtorgo!:cheer2:

The Halloween Party was probably still in DCA the last time you were there, I am assuming? The Disneyland location is quite fun as far as where the different treat trails are set up, but in a way I kind of miss the party being in California Adventure.

Stay tuned, as I will be posting some links to reviews of last year's MHP (some of which were from first-time MHP attendees) in the MHP section of page 1. There was an interesting array of reviews last year from what I recall, ranging from positive to 'not that great.'

Oh my goodness Sherry…

I just checked out the 2012 link, and I love the closeup of the plaque!

I don't know how I missed seeing that particular picture in that thread, but thanks so much for specifically directing me to it!!!!!

By the way, I've never taken day time pics of the Ray Bradbury tree, or recall seeing any, but yours are fantastic!::yes::

Cheshirecatty --

:rotfl2::goodvibes Thank you, and you're very kind, but I only directed you to the post because I was trying to figure out if those masks/faces on the plaque were from Ray Bradbury's story, The Halloween Tree, and I hoped you knew! I thought that the faces were sort of easy to see in the picture, but upon second glance I think there might be too much "tree reflection" in the photo!

I have very, very little recollection of "The Halloween Tree" so I don't remember anything in it. Ironically, my first awareness of Ray Bradbury as a child had nothing to do with Halloween but instead came through The Twilight Zone, as the "I Sing the Body Electric" episode was his story.

In a way I kind of like that the tree is subtle and not "in-your-face" in its location in Disneyland. I would imagine that many people pass it and just think, "Oh, there is a nice little tree with some Halloween ornaments on it." At the same time, it's such a nice little quiet tribute to Mr. Bradbury -- which he luckily got to see before he passed away -- and it's sort of sad that a lot of folks don't know it's there. I rather like it because the pumpkins all have very expressive faces! I just need to know the meaning of those masks/faces on the plaque, or they will haunt me forever!:rotfl2:

I'm here! *HI*

I'm so excited for our Halloweentime trip this year. Now the pressure is on to find the kids some great costumes since they'll have more than just TOT around here to wear them at!

Welcome, Jamie!:cheer2:

:wave:

I'm here too! Hoping to go again this year! Yay!! Thanks Sherry for all that you do. This thread is fantastic!!

Welcome, crystal1313!

Thank you for the kind words.:goodvibes

At least there probably won't be an Unleash the Villains event happening this year (if the sole purpose of it was that it was happening on Friday the 13th, and the first day of Halloween Time), so that will hopefully mean less madness and mayhem in Disneyland, and specifically around NOS and Town Square!

I'm here too! So excited about our fist family trip to DLR at Halloweentime! Thanks for this thread; I know it must be a ton of work. Can't wait to see where it goes...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Welcome, scrappymel!:cheer2:

I'm so glad you have joined us. I think the family Halloween Time trip will be great fun for you -- it's a wonderful time of year to go.

Yes -- this thread and the Christmas/holiday season thread are a lot of work, but they get to points where they can kind of coast along without much maintenance for a while (that is, after I have filled in all of page 1!). It's when I get backlogged on getting them organized (like when I was having horrible computer issues) that everything begins to pile up and it is a race to try to get them updated and complete before the seasons roll around!:rotfl2:

Stay tuned to page 1, as I will probably be adding in links and info to each post, one by one, a little at a time.

Here are some pictures from MHT at DCA in 2006. This was my first party.

More pictures coming up, including costumes I will be wearing at this years MHP.

Woohoo! Sooo exciting! Can't wait to know when those party dates will be.

Thanks Sherry for all of your hard work.

I figured out that one party date would be October 14, after seeing a calendar that showed the DL MK closing at 7pm that night.
But I don't remember where I saw that calendar, I thought it was the Disney site, but now I can't find it.

We are there October 13-17 (checking out on the 17).

I will probably use the same Cheshire Cat costume I made for last year. It was a hit with Alice and the Mad Hatter.
But I think I am going to replace the glow sticks with LED lights, so I can turn them off.
It didn't really give the full effect I was after, because the park was too light even after dark.
Maybe I should go with a black background, and pink lights for the stripes.
Maybe make it reversible.
The look I am after, is the Cheshire cat when he is partially invisible.

I don't have to worry as much about heat this year, since it is DL in October, and not WDW in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter