• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hall of Presidents - Now Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this post actually has me nervous. My 6-year-old is learning about presidents in school and I think she would like this. But are boos throughout the show common? I don’t know if I’m prepared to explain that to her at this young age. I would appreciate it if anyone can post personal experiences. Thanks!
Common? No. Possible? Yes.
Easy to explain to her though. Just tell her that some people just don't care for the President for their own personal reasons and they can't help themselves from voicing it. They shouldn't do it. Use it as an example of what you shouldn't do, at least out loud and in public at this location. What you think in you heart/head is your own business, no one can make you like him, whichever President it is. But you can have to self control to keep silent during the attraction. At 6 she's old enough to understand that. Even if she isn't old enough to understand the why of it all.

Last edited:
So, this post actually has me nervous. My 6-year-old is learning about presidents in school and I think she would like this. But are boos throughout the show common? I don’t know if I’m prepared to explain that to her at this young age. I would appreciate it if anyone can post personal experiences. Thanks!

If someone boos in the Hall of Presidents and a child asks why, it's the perfect opportunity to explain that not everyone agrees with everything that a President does. If you think it's rude or unnecessary, you can mention that too. If you're feeling ambitious, you can also mention that from time to time, there are going to be signs of displeasure or "protest" and being free to express that is as American as honoring the president.

If someone boos in the Hall of Presidents and a child asks why, it's the perfect opportunity to explain that not everyone agrees with everything that a President does. If you think it's rude or unnecessary, you can mention that too. If you're feeling ambitious, you can also mention that from time to time, there are going to be signs of displeasure or "protest" and being free to express that is as American as honoring the president.
And also the "Time and Place" lesson would be appropriate IMHO.:)

Yeah but this includes talking to your child and who wants to do that?

But seriously, I don't think a kid hearing someone boo a robot is gonna scar them for life. They'll forget about it 3 minutes after leaving the attraction as they run towards the Mansion.

My DH and I are going to WDW in a little over a week and our DD will be meeting us after the new year. I will be seeing the HOP exactly once while the current president is still in office. I asked my DD is she was interested in seeing it because I would wait for her to see it with me. Otherwise, if she said no and changed her mind then she'd be going alone. We're all going together after she arrives. I hope that everyone is respectful and quiet. I have been in the HOP when people boo'd and cheered in the HOP and both were very annoying.

If there is booing, you can explain that our constitution gives citizens of our country not only the right to free speech but the right to voice disagreement with the government in non-violent ways and it is great to see people exercising their rights as they see fit. Perfect considering the new robot's speech is all about upholding and defending the constitution, right?

I agree that it would be a great teaching opportunity to instill in your child the values you hold about the presidency. If you believe that all presidents should be respected due to the office they hold, great teaching opportunity to explain that it's the right thing to do. If you believe that expressing dissent is patriotic or that presidents have to earn respect (although "time and place" is definitely a thing) then you can teach that.

To be frank with you, your 6 year old has PROBABLY heard dissenting opinions about the president already at school , and if not will hear them in the coming couple of years (I work with 3rd graders who have certainly heard/displayed strong opinions) and this is a good opportunity for you to explain your viewpoint and values.

Question:

How can Johnny Depps' animatronic in Pirates be so lifelike and look so much like him that you almost think it is a real person whilst Donny Trump animatronic looks like he has been out in the sun for too long?

Is that part really that unrealistic? That and the chicken neck are the most accurate things about it, imo.
I was thinking the same thing. The color they used may be one of the more realistic parts

I do not understand your point. Should I disagree with any President whom you feel is "better" than President Trump?
My point is only that we have had great an not-so-great Presidents throughout our history. The beautiful part is that we can openly agree or disagree as we want. Depending on the topics of importance to any person, they may want to "boo" Millard Fillmore or Franklin Pierce, if they so desire. And can.

There are always the risk of boorish people booing...People booed Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, Ford...Nixon (who deserved it). A great way to explain it is that EVERY President has had people not like him at the time they were in office...FDR, JFK, Reagan, TR...even Lincoln and Washington (heck, Washington had to summon the army and lead them in battle against a rebellious group of farmers). We are in almost unified reverence of Washington and Lincoln today, but when Lincoln was in office, even many in the North mocked him and called him all sorts of negative names.

The gestures look good, but the animatronic's hands look too big. And the face is terrifying. I know I'll be having nightmares tonight.

I'm sure it will be swamped next week when we are there, but if the line is manageable, I'd like my kids to see it... I'm glad they got this back open and available for people to see it. And I'm glad they didn't water it down and reduce speaking roles or prominence. Except for the poor facial likeness (and too large hands), it looks like they did a good job.

NO POLITICS! If we can tell from your posts whether you support or despise the current or recently past presidents (which party you align with), then your post is political. The moderators have worked hard to keep this thread on track, please cooperate.

Discuss the ATTRACTION, not your political opinions or feelings about the individuals depicted.

Looks like I am in a HUGE minority,but I have ALWAYS viewed Booing or Cheering in HoP disrespectful to other Guests NO MATTER WHO the President is at that time!

To me,it is akin to using Flash Photography on Dark Rides,etc.-it is just disrespectful to other Guests-NO MATTER WHO THE CURRENT PRESIDENT IS AT THAT TIME!

I just don't get it.

Looks like I am in a HUGE minority,but I have ALWAYS viewed Booing or Cheering in HoP disrespectful to other Guests NO MATTER WHO the President is at that time!

To me,it is akin to using Flash Photography on Dark Rides,etc.-it is just disrespectful to other Guests-NO MATTER WHO THE CURRENT PRESIDENT IS AT THAT TIME!

I just don't get it.

I don't think you are in the minority. Many people have posted and said regardless of how they feel about 45, they don't want to hear any booing. I personally agree that booing is unpleasant and distracting to others. I don't believe it's required to respect the president just because of the office they hold, and I feel as though dissent is patriotic, but I agree that the HoP is just not the right place to express that dissent. Pick something more productive.

I just don't get it.

You're not in the minority. Many people have voiced displeasure over the booing. People are immature and disrespectful, especially these days. I think if a person feels the need to boo then maybe they shouldn't go see it. However, they probably enjoy acting like fools.

Man, this looks really cool. They even have the "thumbs up" gesture he gives at all his rallies. Very nice to have this very important and wonderfully historic attraction back open. And to have Washington, the man himself, speaking...that's just too cool. I've always loved this attraction since the first time I saw it in 2002. I will continue to love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter