Hair Wraps

lgrover

Earning My Ears
My tips for hair wraps. For those who don't know what this is, This is when a small portion of your DD's hair is wrapped in multi colored threads. First and formost, GO EARLY (in the day and in your stay) (1 4 yr old melted down because they were leaving 7 AM next morning and the wrappers weren't taking anymore customers). It takes 15 minutes per wrap.

Second, go to DTD or MK to have it done during the day. Our biggest mistake was waiting to have it done at BW at night. They didn't start until 5 (we were eating dinner) and stopped people from lining up at about 7:45. Two teenagers were nice enough to give us their place in line (a piece of string). DD wanted 2 but because her turn came up at around 9:15 I talked her into one with a promise to go to DTD the next morning. We got to DTD at about 11 and still had about 5 girls in front of us. We shopped and had lunch while we waited for our turn. Hindsite, I would have gone to MK for it. At least we could do some rides while we waited.

:cool:

Another tip to save money on these is to have the hair wrapped from the nap of the hair, like behind the ear rather than the top by her part. There is a difference in inches there for that length and it looks just as cute. Even when we did DD's last year from behind her ear, it was still $20.00. Fortunately, it lasted all summer long and we cut it out the day before school began.

We got DD's first wrap at Dixie Landings. One year for Christmas, I got her a Klutz How-To book for hairwraps. I found that one in a Discovery Store, but have since seen them at Borders and Barnes and Nobles type stores. It came with a variety of colors and dangles. It is truly amazing how easy it is to do. Of course, without the book, I wouldn't have known how to start.

Once the original stuff ran out, we just used embroidery floss from the craft department and picked out some cool beads and dangles. I did all the little girls who came to her birthday party and got lots of compliments on it.

Also we had my DD's wrap done at MGM by the Muppets show, there was no wait! We also had it done from behind her ear, I think it ended up being 12.00.

Great thread!

:wave:

Hallie

DD and I both had ours wrapped at BW. Her hair was over $30 and mine was a few dollars less. She is 3 and she loved it. She was the big shot at school when we came back from vacation :)
I've seen a few people say they cut it out of their hair, do you mean cut the hair or just the thread? I just unraveled ours that why I am asking.

DD's stayed in all last summer, so it had a few months of hair growth. Since it was at the nap of her neck, I just cut the hair and she still has the hair wrap fully intact as a souviner. Noone could see where the hair was cut. If I was creative, I probably could figure out how to put a barrett on it so she could wear it sometimes.

If you have a YOUNG daughter who wants a hair wrap, just be careful...when our daughter was 4, we got her hair wrapped on the WDW Boardwalk (not that it matters where you get it done...). She was just playing and being silly like a normal 5 year old, and she bent down close to a chair, and somehow her hair in the wrap got caught on it (freaky, I know). Well, being only 4, she panicked and yanked her head up...her hair/wrap got left behind in the chair...it got pulled out by the roots and left a terrible bald spot and a LOT of PAIN in her scalp. I'm not saying to stay away from hair wraps, becaue they are so much fun for the girls - just tell your daughter that if her hair gets caught on something to stay still and call for help so they don't pull their hair out...
:smooth:

I probably wouldn't have thought to warn my young daughter about something like that either. So many things we take for granted that they'll do or NOT do or know. Thanks for the heads up.

my girls love the hair wraps! however after my oldest daughter had one done ($25.00) I

thought, "i bet i could do that" for Christmas that year she received a Klutz hairwrap book--I

now wrap the girls' hair as a special treat right before we leave for wdw--saves about $50-

$75 for us ( 3 girls) and saves some wdw time too!

P.S. if you have your hair wrapped at wdw--save the beads and bring them back next time--we saw someone do this and it saves some $ as the beads really add up

Okay, I took your advice and just got the Hair Wrap book by Klutz today at Michaels. I have three weeks to polish my skills in this and look forward to putting a nice hair wrap in each girl before we leave! Thanks for the advice; DH has a cow at those prices for hair wraps at WDW. I will let you know how it turns out!

I opened up that book and gave it a whirl on my 2 DD's tonight. You know, it was very easy! For the first hair wrap, I think I did an okay job! I honestly was quite surprised how nice they looked! What a great idea, tkd lisa and dunning disney! Thank you! DH also thanks you; we are probably saving $40+ for two girls' long hair wraps and the time waiting for them to get done!

I am also going to use hair wraps for DD's birthday party for the girls, too this June.

That was such a nifty idea, thanks so much again!!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Thanks for all the hair wrap info. My 5 year old DD has waist length hair and I know she would love this. I have a month to pick up the book and try it our before we get to WDW. And what a GREAT idea for doing hair wraps at the Bday parties:) THANKS!!

Oh I have to find one of the books too. I don't know if my DD(4) will let me wrap her hair though - she is sooooo tender-headed:( . I think they look so cute for summer.

The idea of wrapping the girls' hair at the b-day party is excellent. Hope I can learn how - I can't even braid hair and my fingers hurt trying to twist those darn rubber bands in her hair.

I think I will try it too! thanks for the advice. Now if only I could convince them not to get their faces painted! My Dh goes balistic over $10 for that. But if you do, in from on Muppets is a great place for this too. On the corner of Pizza Planet.

When we were there last June, they were doing Hair Wraps during the day on the 'Boardwalk side' of Storm-Along Bay at the Yacht/Beach Club. Seemed that there was hardly ever a wait there during the day as many people are in the parks. If you're staying in that area, could be a great location to get a wrap done.....especially on an arrival or departure day. My DD, age 4, got one done there.....around $25-$30 I think...and it lasted several weeks after we returned. When it came out, it wasn't because it unraveled.....the hair to which it was connected behind her ear just broke off strand-by-strand until the whole thing came off.

My daughter had a hair wrap done in April 2001 at the Boardwalk. She cut it out 2 weeks ago just before we left on this years trip. She had one done last week at AK. (About 9", $26 total w/beads).

The one she had done in April 2000 lasted about 9 months.

These things didn't get frayed or crappy looking, she just decided to cut them off.

All four of my daughters had their hair wrapped at US a few years back, they stayed in for about 5 months. Three came out just fine and one came out with mega loose hair. Paid around $25 for each. This vacation the girls want to have their hair braided.......

My DD got one last June and it fell out in 5 days. It was intact and I still have it. It cost $35, so Iwas hoping it would last longer. Since I have read how long some of yours have lasted, I think I will try one more time.

I don't feel so bad now! The second one I personally put in DD only lasted two weeks. Hah! It lasted longer than a professional's hair wrap placement!! Got to put in two tomorrow since we leave on Wednesday. Maybe they will last the entire trip!

Thanks to all with the do it at home suggestion! While at a local fabric store I found the little Curiosity kit hair wrap kit. On clearance!! I never would have thought to pick it up before. DD was "worried" there was so little floss, then I showed her my 2 boxes full of DMC floss and she was thrilled! Question... this almost seems too simple, in the Klutz directions, do you do anything different than tie the strands at the top and wrap them around the hair and the other strings? I wondered if there shouldn't be some sort of noting every few inches. Well, I put them in Sunday and it still looks great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter