Hagrid's Drop - Be Honest

Take a line beer if the wait is long ;)

Trust me, I was scared to get on the Frozen ride at Epcot so you're talking to the right person. Never done Mummy (should I?) but I would compare it to a MUCH MUCH MUCH faster (and slightly more elevated) 7DMT.

Spoiler warning (not that I think we need it?)

The thing is, along the ride track leading up to the parts that I think scare us drop chickens there are no actual "drops" that give you "that feeling" because there are all of these banked curves and you are going oh so very fast! Really glues you to your seat, so I didn't feel any airtime.

The two parts that I think are concerning to drop chickens are:

1. The "spike": I sat in the 2nd to last car the first time I rode by random placement, but looking straight up at where the first couple of cars wind up I'm really glad I did because I think the top would've made me nervous. So if you're scared, ask for the back cars - you barely go up 10 feet, if that, and you gently roll backwards and feel nothing. Admittedly the second time we rode we hopped in single rider line and I had a mild panic attack waiting in line thinking what happens if I get stuck in the front (tears, hyperventilating...it was not cute.) I almost got out of line but DH reminded me that if it looked like I could be sent to a forward car I could just ask to wait to sit in the back, no one is going to force you to get on in a place where you're not comfortable. I actually ended up in the very last car so I was worrying for no reason.

2. The "surprise" drop: This happens when you're "entangled in devil's snare" - Hagrid will ask you to repeat a spell, there's a delay of about 2-3 seconds, and then you drop...1 floor. I know it's only 1 floor because when we stopped in the show scene I looked behind me and could see the emergency exit sign over the door on the track below (that's how paranoid I was that I checked haha). Didn't stop me from clinging to my husband's arm screaming but it was over in a second and then I started hysterically laughing. Totally and completely doable and nothing to be scared of or nervous about at all.

The ride is exhilarating and totally worth the hype. If you like speed you are going to absolutely love it, I was giggling and smiling the whole time and I am really glad I didn't chicken out! I would do it again in a heartbeat, it's nothing to be scared of. If you need more reassurance please don't hesitate to reach out, I do an obsessive amount of googling and on-ride video watching to try and ease my anxiety...but Pirates still scares me :earboy2:

Thank you for the honest opinion. I have been reading all over the place about this ride and how intense and it is really hard to decide since different things are intense to different people. I don't think I have a problem with speed (Love test track, the mummy , big thunder, slinky dog, honestly space mountain was slow feeling-although it is slow lol), but I have never been on a coaster that goes 50 mph either so I guess don't know for sure. I won't go on Everest for the drop and lift hill (my husband has been trying for years). Drops I hate and its nice to know the drops don't feel like much (I like that). I am worried about being put in the front for "the spike".

How was the part that goes through the ruins? I see that and the spike are the highest parts of the ride, I am also deathly afraid of heights (no Flight of the Hippogriff for me-too high).

Also, you should definitely do the mummy it is great and I don't get the dropping sensation on it too much (there is one airtime hill, but you go over it fast so you don't feel much). Definitely try it next time you go, I always say if I will ride it anyone can.

Thank you for the honest opinion. I have been reading all over the place about this ride and how intense and it is really hard to decide since different things are intense to different people. I don't think I have a problem with speed (Love test track, the mummy , big thunder, slinky dog, honestly space mountain was slow feeling-although it is slow lol), but I have never been on a coaster that goes 50 mph either so I guess don't know for sure. I won't go on Everest for the drop and lift hill (my husband has been trying for years). Drops I hate and its nice to know the drops don't feel like much (I like that). I am worried about being put in the front for "the spike".

How was the part that goes through the ruins? I see that and the spike are the highest parts of the ride, I am also deathly afraid of heights (no Flight of the Hippogriff for me-too high).

Also, you should definitely do the mummy it is great and I don't get the dropping sensation on it too much (there is one airtime hill, but you go over it fast so you don't feel much). Definitely try it next time you go, I always say if I will ride it anyone can.

I've yet to be brave enough to try Everest. We're in the same boat! If you like Test Track and Space, then you like speed, and will love this. If you're worried about being put in the front, just ask for a car in the back and I'm sure you'll be accommodated (besides, doesn't everyone else want to ride in the front anyway? I'm sure someone would be happy to switch if they try!)

I would compare the curve through the ruins to the first curve/drop on Slinky Dog, also the ride felt no higher than Slinky Dog so if you can do the elevation of that track you can do this. There are also a lot of trees so I don't actually recall seeing the ground. Unlike FotHG, which is all open and stacked on top of itself and you spend the entire ride going from the top down, this ride track is long, and most of it is close to the ground or on stage sets that are level with your car.

You can do it, I promise, and when you're done you're going to laugh at how much time you spent worrying! Report back once you ride!

I'm not sure I'm ready to try the Mummy...it took DH and my sister 3 tries to get me on Gringotts.

I've yet to be brave enough to try Everest. We're in the same boat! If you like Test Track and Space, then you like speed, and will love this. If you're worried about being put in the front, just ask for a car in the back and I'm sure you'll be accommodated (besides, doesn't everyone else want to ride in the front anyway? I'm sure someone would be happy to switch if they try!)

I would compare the curve through the ruins to the first curve/drop on Slinky Dog, also the ride felt no higher than Slinky Dog so if you can do the elevation of that track you can do this. There are also a lot of trees so I don't actually recall seeing the ground. Unlike FotHG, which is all open and stacked on top of itself and you spend the entire ride going from the top down, this ride track is long, and most of it is close to the ground or on stage sets that are level with your car.

You can do it, I promise, and when you're done you're going to laugh at how much time you spent worrying! Report back once you ride!

I'm not sure I'm ready to try the Mummy...it took DH and my sister 3 tries to get me on Gringotts.

It took a 7 year old ragging on me to ride the mummy and a couple long islands from chez Alcatraz lol! Once I rode it though I LOVED it! It’s now my fave ride and I ride it over and over!

I have to shut my eyes on slinky’s first hill but I can do that on Hagrids too! All of this makes me feel better.

Now could I do rockin rollercoaster? Everyone tells me it’s wayyy more intense then the mummy so it has always scared me too! My husband told me there is only one stomach grabbing drop if any.

It took a 7 year old ragging on me to ride the mummy and a couple long islands from chez Alcatraz lol! Once I rode it though I LOVED it! It’s now my fave ride and I ride it over and over!

I have to shut my eyes on slinky’s first hill but I can do that on Hagrids too! All of this makes me feel better.

Now could I do rockin rollercoaster? Everyone tells me it’s wayyy more intense then the mummy so it has always scared me too! My husband told me there is only one stomach grabbing drop if any.

You can do it! People's definitions of "intense" are different but from a drop chicken perspective....there are no drops. (At least not that I recall.) You're going so fast that you're tamped down to your seat, hence the lack of airtime that would give you "that feeling" in your stomach otherwise. It's just very fast and there are inversions - if going upside-down doesn't bother you then you're golden! No drops, I can do it, take that as a reference point :)

Just wanted to update everyone! I rode Hagrids twice this past week while in the parks and I just want to say it is AMAZING! Drop chickens will be okay on this ride. I sat in the 6th and 7th rows both times to make sure I didn’t go up high on the spike portion, but it was not bad at all from those seats. I will say I don’t think I would like to be in the front one or two rows. The worst part for me and the drops was the ruins part being more toward the back (that did get my stomach a little)! Overall the speed is amazing and the turns are awesome! I loved it and I can’t wait to ride it again!

Now to only get the courage to ride rockin rollercoaster at Disney! Still scared of that one! Lol

I am worried about being put in the front for "the spike".

Hi, I've ridden Hagrid's 4 times. I thought it might be scary to be on the from row. On my 4th ride I was on the front row motorcycle side. When I got to the spike; I was astonished that I was thinking, "Hay, this is not even interesting, much less scary." I felt like I was level on the ground. I think that this is because of the ride physic's that I didn't get that drop feeling even on the front row when you reverse.

For any who are interested the front row was really fun otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Hi all sorry to revive an old thread but I thought it better than making a new one.

Anyway I’ve just joined up as I’ve read through this post and need to get some information on the Hagred’s ride.

Since I was a child I’ve had a fear of rollercoasters, I don’t know what the cause was or what part I’m more worried about but I hate drops and the feeling of speed where I cannot focus and have my mind occupied so I can control my breathing.

I have oddly driven cars and been in cars at over 200mph, I’ve done a loop the loop twice in a plane yet I cannot get over a fear of rollercoasters.

I don’t seem to get motion sickness as we came from the UK to Florida in May this year and I faced a few fears by going on (you will
all laugh) Flight of the Hippogriff.

I then went on Forbidden Journey and it was possibly my favourite ride there, closely followed by Gringotts.

However I bottled it and didn’t go on Hagred’s (partly as the queues were so long the anxiety would build and make matters worse).

I am fine on rides like the three above, Transformers, Spider-Man, Jimmy Fallon, Simpsons, Kong etc etc but need to face the fear and understand how to get myself on Hagrids.

Anyway at a huge cost I’ve re-booked to come to Florida in Sept and was wondering if anyone can help or give me some info to help as the worst I’ve been on aside from the mentioned rides was the runaway train but that was many many years ago as a child.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer as half the rides mentioned in posts I’ve never seen, been on or heard of and won’t be able to first as I’m only visiting universal and volcano bay.

Hi all sorry to revive an old thread but I thought it better than making a new one.

Anyway I’ve just joined up as I’ve read through this post and need to get some information on the Hagred’s ride.

Since I was a child I’ve had a fear of rollercoasters, I don’t know what the cause was or what part I’m more worried about but I hate drops and the feeling of speed where I cannot focus and have my mind occupied so I can control my breathing.

I have oddly driven cars and been in cars at over 200mph, I’ve done a loop the loop twice in a plane yet I cannot get over a fear of rollercoasters.

I don’t seem to get motion sickness as we came from the UK to Florida in May this year and I faced a few fears by going on (you will

I then went on Forbidden Journey and it was possibly my favourite ride there, closely followed by Gringotts.

However I bottled it and didn’t go on Hagred’s (partly as the queues were so long the anxiety would build and make matters worse).

I am fine on rides like the three above, Transformers, Spider-Man, Jimmy Fallon, Simpsons, Kong etc etc but need to face the fear and understand how to get myself on Hagrids.

Anyway at a huge cost I’ve re-booked to come to Florida in Sept and was wondering if anyone can help or give me some info to help as the worst I’ve been on aside from the mentioned rides was the runaway train but that was many many years ago as a child.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer as half the rides mentioned in posts I’ve never seen, been on or heard of and won’t be able to first as I’m only visiting universal and volcano bay.
If you are coming from the UK, I would suggest you just ride it! I am a huge ride wimp-I don't like roller coasters and get motion sick on too many 4D type/screen rides. It took me a few trips to finally ride Hagrid's-and I have ridden it once. Once was plenty for me but I am so glad I finally rode it.

The drop did not bother me at all (I don't like huge drops)-to me, it was a fast ride with a lot of turns. I was slightly dizzy when I got off the ride but I think that is because I had my eyes closed most of the time :) After I walked out of the end queue, I was completely fine.

I think you will be pleased you rode it-even if you don't love it while you were on it-you won't regret it!

You can see some of what Hagrid's does from the beginning of the ride queue - you can also see the entire POV on You Tube to get a preview. Hagrid's is basically fast and generally low to the ground. I would sit in middle of the train to minimize the stop/backward portion. I think you should try it at least once. I had a terrible fear of coasters back in the day and started to concentrate on regulating my breathing and completely relaxing. If there's one thing I will say about Hagrid's it's that you can't help but smile the entire ride - it is really fun. I hope you give it a chance. Good luck!!

As the person who started this thread and conquered my fear and ABSOLUTELY LOVED LOVED LOVED this ride I want to reassure you and empower you to be brave! (And give you a big hug because I know that’s hard!)

Drops really are not a factor here (note: I am a self-described drop chicken) so you don’t have to worry about that. It’s a relatively “flat” coaster - even the hills are banked and curved in such a way that you don’t feel like you’re dropping, it’s much more like Flight of the Hippogriff in that sense.

You mentioned speed as well, and while it IS a fast coaster it feels a lot like the “fast” parts of Escape from Gringotts, there are just a lot more if them. I would recommend riding in the sidecar for the sense of cozy security.

You can absolutely do this and if you liked Gringotts you will like this ride. And if you don’t love it you never have to do it again, but I just wanted to reassure that it is coaster-phobia friendly to try.

Signed,
The drop chicken who started this thread and needed a lot of reassurance to be brave, cried in line cuz I was scared (legit cried, bless my patient now-husband), and left the ride laughing and clapping with glee.

I’m also I drop chicken. I refuse to do splash again ever. I have ridden it but I hated the drop. I also skip ToT and have never tried RnRC.
I rode Hagrids for the first time last summer and I actually enjoyed it. It’s pretty fast and there is one small drop but I barely felt it (no stomach in your throat feeling) and didn’t see it coming (which was a good thing for my anxiety level).

If you are coming from the UK, I would suggest you just ride it! I am a huge ride wimp-I don't like roller coasters and get motion sick on too many 4D type/screen rides. It took me a few trips to finally ride Hagrid's-and I have ridden it once. Once was plenty for me but I am so glad I finally rode it.

The drop did not bother me at all (I don't like huge drops)-to me, it was a fast ride with a lot of turns. I was slightly dizzy when I got off the ride but I think that is because I had my eyes closed most of the time :) After I walked out of the end queue, I was completely fine.

I think you will be pleased you rode it-even if you don't love it while you were on it-you won't regret it!
Thanks for the reply, I think the issue I have with it is more two parts

1) the bit up and down where it goes left through the ruins (as that looks seriously steep and fast)

2) the part where you go up and just fall backwards, the drop looks similar to that on gringotts from what I can tell so assume that’s ok, maybe my fears more the speed up and over (which I can’t explain due to being such a speed freak and petrol head) but in those cases I or someone I trust is in control lol

You can see some of what Hagrid's does from the beginning of the ride queue - you can also see the entire POV on You Tube to get a preview. Hagrid's is basically fast and generally low to the ground. I would sit in middle of the train to minimize the stop/backward portion. I think you should try it at least once. I had a terrible fear of coasters back in the day and started to concentrate on regulating my breathing and completely relaxing. If there's one thing I will say about Hagrid's it's that you can't help but smile the entire ride - it is really fun. I hope you give it a chance. Good luck!!
Hi thanks for the reply, I think the main issue is that up, stop and drop back part, that and the ruins where it goes up and round to the left thrown down steep and sharp turning, I think they are the main things I’m anxious about having watched the pov videos

Last edited:
As the person who started this thread and conquered my fear and ABSOLUTELY LOVED LOVED LOVED this ride I want to reassure you and empower you to be brave! (And give you a big hug because I know that’s hard!)

Drops really are not a factor here (note: I am a self-described drop chicken) so you don’t have to worry about that. It’s a relatively “flat” coaster - even the hills are banked and curved in such a way that you don’t feel like you’re dropping, it’s much more like Flight of the Hippogriff in that sense.

You mentioned speed as well, and while it IS a fast coaster it feels a lot like the “fast” parts of Escape from Gringotts, there are just a lot more if them. I would recommend riding in the sidecar for the sense of cozy security.

You can absolutely do this and if you liked Gringotts you will like this ride. And if you don’t love it you never have to do it again, but I just wanted to reassure that it is coaster-phobia friendly to try.

Signed,
The drop chicken who started this thread and needed a lot of reassurance to be brave, cried in line cuz I was scared (legit cried, bless my patient now-husband), and left the ride laughing and clapping with glee.
Thanks for the kind words and reply, I may have watched too many videos on to and scared myself more.

Im even shocked myself that the speed and turns are worrying me as I drive track and race cars a lot where if something goes wrong it’s very dangerous, yet this is mentally scaring me, the thought of not snd queuing etc

Some have said sit near the back, where were you seated and was the stall and drop ok as that looks terrifying :-(

Hi thanks for the reply, I think the main issue is that up, stop and drop back part, that and the ruins where it goes up and Roy d to the left thrown down steep and sharp turning, I think they are the main things I’m anxious about having watched the pov videos
I think the middle or end of the train would be better for the stop and drop part. The part through the ruins is sharp and turns but the dropping feeling is not intense. Definitely sit in the side car. I really hope you give it a try.

I think the middle or end of the train would be better for the stop and drop part. The part through the ruins is sharp and turns but the dropping feeling is not intense. Definitely sit in the side car. I really hope you give it a try.

Agreed, sit towards the back at that part you go up maybe 5 feet lol. And you can request to sit in the back, you don’t have to be stuck in the front!

The hill through the ruins is really not very high (I’m also terrified of heights so no thanks to those) and the exit is a banked curve, not really a drop, I wouldn’t worry about it. Promise.

Thanks for the kind words and reply, I may have watched too many videos on to and scared myself more.

Im even shocked myself that the speed and turns are worrying me as I drive track and race cars a lot where if something goes wrong it’s very dangerous, yet this is mentally scaring me, the thought of not snd queuing etc

Some have said sit near the back, where were you seated and was the stall and drop ok as that looks terrifying :-(
Not terrifying. Not that intense either to where you can turn around and look behind you. If you've ever done EE at AK you know that the backward section you cannot move at all - the intensity is high - this is very mild.

Hi, I've ridden Hagrid's 4 times. I thought it might be scary to be on the from row. On my 4th ride I was on the front row motorcycle side. When I got to the spike; I was astonished that I was thinking, "Hay, this is not even interesting, much less scary." I felt like I was level on the ground. I think that this is because of the ride physic's that I didn't get that drop feeling even on the front row when you reverse.

For any who are interested the front row was really fun otherwise.

Hope this helps.
I was front row motorcycle once and front row sidecar once - the spike was more fun than scary. With Hagrid talking to you, more of a fun thing than an intense, scary thing.

Morning Deb1993, thanks for all you’re replies, I’ve never ridden ToT, RnRC, EE, AK (not even sure what any of those are) lol

I will be there end of September into October and am really trying hard to get the courage to try this ride and all you guys replies are starting to help, I just need to find it within myself to push through the barrier.

So the back or near the backs best and least intense place, or is that just for the spike backwards part to remove the high point (which is ideal imo for the first go anyway) thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter