Hagrid's Drop - Be Honest

This message board is the first one I have been on where so many either are scared of roller coasters or have motion sickness. I have never had that problem and I am glad I don't as I love roller coasters. The bigger, the better. One of my favorite launch coasters is at Cedar Point. Its goes 120 mph in 3 secs.

I was at Universal this week and rode Hagrid’s twice. There is a drop, but it’s small. Most of the ride is more twisty/turny. I didn’t know about the drop in advance, so it surprised me, but I felt it more as a mental surprise rather than a physical reaction. The motorbike side felt much more “thrilling” because I was sitting higher up. If you’re nervous about riding it, I recommend the sidecar where you sit lower down and it feels more enclosed.

YMMV, but I only waited for an hour in line yesterday afternoon, even though the posted wait time was 2.5 hours.

If you ever road the railroad Disney one, it felt like that to me, just a little faster and sharper curves, like space mountain. I will not go on Hulk or RRR, but I do Mummy and that is the other other coaster I tolerate, well, if you count Potter one, I do that too. And, with a motion sickness person, I do well with the pills, and not having too much in my stomach when riding the coasters I do. I agree, the actual drop is more like, what? And it is that quick. I think the whole ride is very smooth feeling. And there is slow down part. The only time I felt a bit upset stomach, one of the times, was the backwards part, toward the end of that. I think it was because we were at the front and I did it not much after drinking cold water too fast.

If does not go upside down, nor would I say was very high hills. Heck the first clime up Mummy I always get a little nervous. The bikes, more that you start up faster than I expected the first time. After that, not a problem.

I always get major anxiety before trying a new ride. It’s awful. I also hate heights & dropping. The butterfly feeling in the stomach really bothers me.

That being said, I rode the sidecar on Hagrid’s yesterday. There are no big drops & no elements where you will get “that feeling” in your stomach. It’s not very high and turns rather than drops. You can do it!

Hate Splash for the drop but I love RnR and Space Mountain (have never done EE). To be clearer what I can't stand is that feeling in your stomach going down a drop - I don't mind speed or inversions but drops are rough.

If you can ride RnR and Space Mountain, you can ride Hagrid's. Just ride in the sidecar, not the motorbike, for your first time. I never really felt my stomach drop. There is one place where it might could have, but it didn't so I don't think it's that type of ride. You will love it!!!!

I always get major anxiety before trying a new ride. It’s awful. I also hate heights & dropping. The butterfly feeling in the stomach really bothers me.

That being said, I rode the sidecar on Hagrid’s yesterday. There are no big drops & no elements where you will get “that feeling” in your stomach. It’s not very high and turns rather than drops. You can do it!

Glad to know I'm not alone!

This has been really encouraging so I am going to try it out on Friday, will report back if we're able to get on and let you all know how it goes so that other drop chickens have it straight from the source.

I am a drop chicken as well! I hate them! I am scared to ride rockin rollercoaster because I don’t believe my husband when he says there is no drops. On the other hand I LOVE big thunder and the mummy is my fave ride. I’m hoping I can get on Hagrids in September during our trip.

Please report back once you ride it.

Also, the part that I am more worried about is the spike (65 ft and a steep angle) if I happen to be in the front. Can anyone comment on which part of the train is least scary (front, back, middle)?

Thanks!

I am a drop chicken as well! I hate them! I am scared to ride rockin rollercoaster because I don’t believe my husband when he says there is no drops. On the other hand I LOVE big thunder and the mummy is my fave ride. I’m hoping I can get on Hagrids in September during our trip.

Please report back once you ride it.

Also, the part that I am more worried about is the spike (65 ft and a steep angle) if I happen to be in the front. Can anyone comment on which part of the train is least scary (front, back, middle)?

Thanks!

I’ve been on RnR. There are no drops!

Thanks!
Towards the back is best if you don't like the drop. I've ridden in both locations and I like towards the back better. Of course, it's kind of the luck of the draw where you get to sit.

I agree with disneywithfive. I rode in the back & the backwards incline was easy.

Also, there are no drops on RnR.

: )

Mia

I agree with disneywithfive. I rode in the back & the backwards incline was easy.

Also, there are no drops on RnR.

: )

Mia

How was the hill through the ruins in the back? Or the speed in general? Usually the back is the most intense on a coaster.

How was the hill through the ruins in the back? Or the speed in general? Usually the back is the most intense on a coaster.

All of the hills were very smooth & not very steep. In comparison, the backwards portion of Expedition Everest is far more intense. There were no sections where I felt butterflies in my tummy.

I rode again this afternoon on the bike. In comparison, the bike felt less intense with the launches/speed than the sidecar. I felt very secure as well. I feel like the forces from the turns are much more intense in the sidecar.

The launches do feel fast. I did not feel them in my tummy but they are faster than the mummy. The hills either turn or are not steep. The “drop” was extremely minimal. It felt like 5 feet to me.

It’s not the same “drop” wise as Jurassic Park or Splash Mountain. It’s not as intense as the Hulk or Rock n Rollercoaster. It’s a bit more intense than Slinky Dog & the Mummy.

Hope that helps!

All of the hills were very smooth & not very steep. In comparison, the backwards portion of Expedition Everest is far more intense. There were no sections where I felt butterflies in my tummy.

I rode again this afternoon on the bike. In comparison, the bike felt less intense with the launches/speed than the sidecar. I felt very secure as well. I feel like the forces from the turns are much more intense in the sidecar.

The launches do feel fast. I did not feel them in my tummy but they are faster than the mummy. The hills either turn or are not steep. The “drop” was extremely minimal. It felt like 5 feet to me.

It’s not the same “drop” wise as Jurassic Park or Splash Mountain. It’s not as intense as the Hulk or Rock n Rollercoaster. It’s a bit more intense than Slinky Dog & the Mummy.

Hope that helps!

Yes this is my fear! I love slinky and the mummy but anything more intense might be too intense for me. A 7 year old had to rag on me to get me on the mummy and I loved it, but it is probably at the top of my intensity scale. I have never been on anything faster except test track (which I love also) so I don’t even know if I will like that aspect of it. Usually curves are the most fun part of a ride to me though! I want to try it so bad, but it’s going to be tough.

My mom made me ride splash when I was 10 and I cried the whole way down and probably for an hour after. I HATED it and I still to this day won’t go on it even though my 4 year old loves it lol

If you can do Test Track, you can do this. Test Track is much faster. The backwards portion is not very fast so I wouldn’t worry about that part. It’s fun & you’ll regret not trying it.

***Potential spoilers***

We were there August 11-17 and rode Hagrid twice. First time I sat in the sidecar, probably row 4. Second time I sat on the motorcycle, row 1. It is a really fun ride. Thrilling, but not scary. The launches are fast but they don't constrict head movement (you can look around, not plastered to seat - there are no headrests) and sort of slow down when banking into a curve. The backwards portion is fast but not EE fast to where you can't move your head - you are able to look around; and when going backwards there is no hesitation at all you just go back the way you came. The drop portion is fast and not very far at all. There are no real dips. It's fast enough to make you smile the entire ride but not too scary where you think I'll never go on it again. We ride all the coasters but find RRR very rough to where I cannot ride it multiple times in a row and need to space it out because I get a little dizzy. I felt great getting off Hagrid. It's a perfect coaster.

In the queue and shaking like a leaf but I am going to be brave (and ride the sidecar.) Pray for this drop chicken!

ETA: LOVED IT!!!!!! Drop chickens don’t be scared!!!!! Just ask to sit in the back - it’s all speed, even the “surprise” drop is over before you can feel anything. I WANNA GO ON AGAIN!

Last edited:
In the queue and shaking like a leaf but I am going to be brave (and ride the sidecar.) Pray for this drop chicken!

ETA: LOVED IT!!!!!! Drop chickens don’t be scared!!!!! Just ask to sit in the back - it’s all speed, even the “surprise” drop is over before you can feel anything. I WANNA GO ON AGAIN!

That makes me feel so much better. I am going to have a little "liquid courage" in a couple weeks and ride it! I'm making myself just because everyone says it's so fun! Thank you for reporting back. What would you compare it to for all us drop chickens? Same as mummy, Big Thunder, etc.? Did you sit in the very back? THanks again and I'm glad you faced your fears and rode it, I will try to do the same!

That makes me feel so much better. I am going to have a little "liquid courage" in a couple weeks and ride it! I'm making myself just because everyone says it's so fun! Thank you for reporting back. What would you compare it to for all us drop chickens? Same as mummy, Big Thunder, etc.? Did you sit in the very back? THanks again and I'm glad you faced your fears and rode it, I will try to do the same!

Take a line beer if the wait is long ;)

Trust me, I was scared to get on the Frozen ride at Epcot so you're talking to the right person. Never done Mummy (should I?) but I would compare it to a MUCH MUCH MUCH faster (and slightly more elevated) 7DMT.

Spoiler warning (not that I think we need it?)

The thing is, along the ride track leading up to the parts that I think scare us drop chickens there are no actual "drops" that give you "that feeling" because there are all of these banked curves and you are going oh so very fast! Really glues you to your seat, so I didn't feel any airtime.

The two parts that I think are concerning to drop chickens are:

1. The "spike": I sat in the 2nd to last car the first time I rode by random placement, but looking straight up at where the first couple of cars wind up I'm really glad I did because I think the top would've made me nervous. So if you're scared, ask for the back cars - you barely go up 10 feet, if that, and you gently roll backwards and feel nothing. Admittedly the second time we rode we hopped in single rider line and I had a mild panic attack waiting in line thinking what happens if I get stuck in the front (tears, hyperventilating...it was not cute.) I almost got out of line but DH reminded me that if it looked like I could be sent to a forward car I could just ask to wait to sit in the back, no one is going to force you to get on in a place where you're not comfortable. I actually ended up in the very last car so I was worrying for no reason.

2. The "surprise" drop: This happens when you're "entangled in devil's snare" - Hagrid will ask you to repeat a spell, there's a delay of about 2-3 seconds, and then you drop...1 floor. I know it's only 1 floor because when we stopped in the show scene I looked behind me and could see the emergency exit sign over the door on the track below (that's how paranoid I was that I checked haha). Didn't stop me from clinging to my husband's arm screaming but it was over in a second and then I started hysterically laughing. Totally and completely doable and nothing to be scared of or nervous about at all.

The ride is exhilarating and totally worth the hype. If you like speed you are going to absolutely love it, I was giggling and smiling the whole time and I am really glad I didn't chicken out! I would do it again in a heartbeat, it's nothing to be scared of. If you need more reassurance please don't hesitate to reach out, I do an obsessive amount of googling and on-ride video watching to try and ease my anxiety...but Pirates still scares me :earboy2:

I thought the opposite. And my thrill riding kid thought it was slower in the back, and I have to agree with her. And I was in the side car and she was on the bike,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter