Guest Assistance Cards ending, to be replaced with Fastpasses?

Just an FYI many posts regarding this topic have been shut down because this is causing such a stir. I'm very sad that some of us are being punished because people chose to cheat the system. We are a family of 6 and used GAC for the first time last August. Our youngest daughter is dying as a result of a mitochondrial disorder. Mitochondria provide energy for cells in the body, hers don't function correctly, as a result she is running on a "low battery" all the time. He major organs are suffering greatly. She has major brain damage and as a result suffers from a rare form of epilepsy called infantile spasms. She also has vision loss. The GAC was great for us because it allowed for us to visit several rides in a short amount of time and then go back to the hotel to allow her to rest and for us to care for her medical needs. We have limited time in the park (3 hours max, most of the time about 2hrs) before she is worn out so GAC allowed us to optimize our time. With the new system, most of our time will be waisted waiting in lines or for our fast pass time. I'm so dissapointed.

Ok, in a chair, not in a chair. My mom (80, 3x cancer survivor, neuropathy, 78 lbs) uses a scooter in the parks. Long days, just doesn't have the stamina to get through the day. Dtd, water parks, not a big deal to get around, more resting than not. Amazing isn't it?

Sometimes it is good to think past hour own little world.

There is another thread on this just down the page, and I think there's a rule on most of the other DISboards about not allowing any posts on this subject, FYI.

pirate: Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Disney discontinuing its Handicap rule in October. People will no longer be able to automatically go to the front of the line. Love this!!!!!!!
Its about time they did something like this. You have a person come up in a chair followed by 20 family members. Disney found that this was being taken advantage of like the rest of us. Did I say I loved this!!!!
Now people will have to check in and get a card proving that they have a disability in order to get this perk.
I am not hating on persons with disabilities, just tired of seeing large families take advantage of perks such as this. Especially when you see someone in a chair at a ride, then walking at the water park the next day. Yes I did see this.
I can see this helping a lot in some instances.

I am sure if you or a family member had a disability you would have a different take on your post. There was no reason for a post like this.

I guess I just don't see all the controversy about the change. For years you saw threads on these boards and others that turned into flame wars with one group claiming GAC was a way to shorten lines while others claimed it was not. The new change seems to make it more obvious that they never intended GAC to shorten wait times. Really, why should they? It also eliminates one of the main reasons for GAC abuse. It is win-win.

I understand some people have a condition that keeps them from being able to wait in a line but that should never mean they skip the wait entirely. My opinion doesn't change because the condition is cancer instead of stamina or autism instead of some kind of anxiety issue.

It makes complete sense to give them a return ticket for the time they would have rode had they been fully able. Get to a ride at noon that has a 45 minute wait you get to come back at 12:45. This just seems fair for everyone. Whether you wait in line or can't you get on the ride at about the same time. No one should be able to skip a 45 minute line just because they can't wait in it. That would be wrong. WISH kids and other like organizations excluded of course.

I guess I just don't see all the controversy about the change. For years you saw threads on these boards and others that turned into flame wars with one group claiming GAC was a way to shorten lines while others claimed it was not. The new change seems to make it more obvious that they never intended GAC to shorten wait times. Really, why should they? It also eliminates one of the main reasons for GAC abuse. It is win-win.

I understand some people have a condition that keeps them from being able to wait in a line but that should never mean they skip the wait entirely. My opinion doesn't change because the condition is cancer instead of stamina or autism instead of some kind of anxiety issue.

It makes complete sense to give and of them a return ticket for the time they would have rode had they been fully able. Get to a ride at noon that has a 45 minute wait you get to come back at 12:45. This just seems fair for everyone. Whether you wait in line or can't you get on the ride at about the same time. No one should be able to skip a 45 minute line just because they can't wait in it. That would be wrong. WISH kids and other like organizations excluded of course.

Ok. What about the people that aren't able to SIT AND WAIT 45 min every single ride they ride? Kids that have certain needs ARE NOT going to understand why they have to wait. It has nothing to do with them not being patient or because they are better then the other people but because they have certain conditions that keep them from being able to HELP IT when they have certain emotions. Which cause seizures, meltdowns, etc. which will ultimately keep certain people from being able to enjoy their vacation. People that are perfectly healthy cannot comprehend this because they have never experienced this.

Ok. What about the people that aren't able to SIT AND WAIT 45 min every single ride they ride? Kids that have certain needs ARE NOT going to understand why they have to wait. It has nothing to do with them not being patient or because they are better then the other people but because they have certain conditions that keep them from being able to HELP IT when they have certain emotions. Which cause seizures, meltdowns, etc. which will ultimately keep certain people from being able to enjoy their vacation. People that are perfectly healthy cannot comprehend this because they have never experienced this.

I guess I'm not sure how the old GAC worked; were you able to use it as a front of the line pass?

It makes complete sense to give and of them a return ticket for the time they would have rode had they been fully able. Get to a ride at noon that has a 45 minute wait you get to come back at 12:45. This just seems fair for everyone. Whether you wait in line or can't you get on the ride at about the same time. No one should be able to skip a 45 minute line just because they can't wait in it. That would be wrong. WISH kids and other like organizations excluded of course.

There is also the issue of children and adults with serious stamina issues that can only tolerate the parks for 2 or three hours. The GAC was a godsend for them, because they were able to accomplish more with their limited time. Lets face it, Disney charges the same price for admission if you stay one hour or ten hours. If you could only ride one or 2 things, would you pay $100 to get in?

I guess I'm not sure how the old GAC worked; were you able to use it as a front of the line pass?

When we arrived at whatever ride my daughter wanted to ride we went straight through the fast pass line. No waiting and coming back. On some rides there were alternate entrances normally through the ride exit. ( since she has a wheelchair) She never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a ride. We would take her on the rides she wanted to ride then head back to the resort to swim and rest. She got to do everything she wanted before she got too hot or tired. With this new system I am betting she won't be able to get in all the rides she wants to ride.

I guess then they can go ride something else or do a show or so something other than sit and wait. With the exception of WISH kids I think everyone needs to have the same wait for attractions. It can be in line or somewhere else if in line isn't an option but no one should be able to skip lines.

Like I said, for years you saw people bending over backwards to explain why GACs are not front of line passes. If they weren't front of line passes before then making rules that re-enforce that should be welcomed, not derided.

There is also the issue of children and adults with serious stamina issues that can only tolerate the parks for 2 or three hours. The GAC was a godsend for them, because they were able to accomplish more with their limited time. Lets face it, Disney charges the same price for admission if you stay one hour or ten hours. If you could only ride one or 2 things, would you pay $100 to get in?

Disney means waiting for rides. It should be the same for everyone. I am all for alternative ways to wait but am not for ways to skip lines for anyone, able bodied or not, that isn't open to all guests equally.

ETA: There is no perfect system that will make everyone happy while also keeping abuse to a minimum. If people wouldn't try to game the system the system could be more flexible.

I guess then they can go ride something else or do a show or so something other than sit and wait. With the exception of WISH kids I think everyone needs to have the same wait for attractions. It can be in line or somewhere else if in line isn't an option but no one should be able to skip lines.

Like I said, for years you saw people bending over backwards to explain why GACs are not front of line passes. If they weren't front of line passes before then making rules that re-enforce that should be welcomed, not derided.

I have been to WDW many times. Before I had kids I went and waited just like everyone else. It never crossed my mind ONE time that a sick person got in line first after I had been waiting. People's priorities are backwards.

The old GAC was stamped based on disability. There is a stamp to use a stroller as a wheelchair for example.

The stamp causing the most controversy is the "alternate entrance" stamp. On FP enabled rides, the GAC holder and up to 6 members of their party were allowed to use it like a FP. Rides without FP had different procedures, for example, the old Dumbo always had a 60 minute wait. GAC holders were allowed to enter at the exit and were given quicker.

My family has alway tried to use the GAC only when a line was more than 30 minutes. That pretty much DS's breaking point. But the pass allowed us to plan our day ahead of time which is very important for DS.

First ride RNRC, then ride TOT, then get ice cream. This has been his DHS schedule for over 5 years. When something disrupts that order he starts to scream and flap. One time TOT was down for some reason and he was inconsolable.

Now I will say that FP + will help families like mine because we will be able to plan ahead of time and get him ready in the weeks before the trip. But for some reason Disney decided to roll this out BEFORE FP + is offerered to everyone.

Not really going to vouch for either side. The system was broken before by people abusing it and it becoming a national news story fast tracked a change. The new system has differences that those who can legititmently use it aren't happy with. So far both solutions have negative sides (much like politics, etc.) and will cause annoyances for users and non-users one way or the other. There seems to be an air of entitlement when ever this issue comes up from both camps, & it is hard to think of an everyone wins scenerio.

I don't see how this will stop the abuse of the GAC. I see it giving the people that need it a hard time. My niece has autism. we have to go on her schedule. We have never abused it. Her pass would allow 6 people. We only used it for 4 people (1 to help my sister and the she got to pick a cousin to ride with her) and only if the line was longer then 10 to 15 minutes. Everyone else stood in the regular line. Now it looks like my sister will have to go to the line then get a pass to come back. If you ever had to deal with an child with autism that will not work. By the time we have to come back she could be ready to go back to the resort or just not ready to ride it.

I don't see how this will stop the abuse of the GAC. I see it giving the people that need it a hard time. My niece has autism. we have to go on her schedule. We have never abused it. Her pass would allow 6 people. We only used it for 4 people (1 to help my sister and the she got to pick a cousin to ride with her) and only if the line was longer then 10 to 15 minutes. Everyone else stood in the regular line. Now it looks like my sister will have to go to the line then get a pass to come back. If you ever had to deal with an child with autism that will not work. By the time we have to come back she could be ready to go back to the resort or just not ready to ride it.

Exactly. Totally agree. I feel your concerns and I have come to the conclusion trying to convince people otherwise is like arguing with a brick wall. People just don't understand or care until they have to go through it themselves. My child will not be able to ride all she wants to ride now thanks to people abusing the card and the other selfish people that can't think that at least they aren't sick.

My family has alway tried to use the GAC only when a line was more than 30 minutes. That pretty much DS's breaking point. But the pass allowed us to plan our day ahead of time which is very important for DS.

We were just there and this is pretty much how we used our GAC as well, for similar reasons. I actually think if Disney was going to follow the same process as Universal (wait under 30min, go on through, wait over 30min, get a return time) that fewer people would be upset. Many/most rides tend to top out around 25-30min which doesn't seem terribly long for most people, but is an eternity for some, and yet not long enough to do anything but stand around and wait if a "return time" stamp was given out. That still wouldn't address those with family members who need to repetitively ride something, but those situations could probably be handled on a case by case basis, as I'm guessing they are much less common.

It does seem to me like FP+ is going to be better for the majority of families who used to use GAC coards.

Exactly. Totally agree. I feel your concerns and I have come to the conclusion trying to convince people otherwise is like arguing with a brick wall. People just don't understand or care until they have to go through it themselves. My child will not be able to ride all she wants to ride now thanks to people abusing the card and the other selfish people that can't think that at least they aren't sick.

I remember my sister telling some guy that she would love to be able to stand in a regular line with her daughter. You should have heard the name he called my niece. I was just hoping she didn't understand them. The CM ask the man to leave the line. We all clapped.

Disney means waiting for rides. It should be the same for everyone. I am all for alternative ways to wait but am not for ways to skip lines for anyone, able bodied or not, that isn't open to all guests equally.

Disney doesn't have the ability to make the situation is fair for all. Fair would be not having to take your child back to the resort to tube feed them or administer medication, things that most times have to be done on a specific schedule. The issue is not always having the ability to wait in a line, sometimes the issue is that the person has exactly 3 hours to experience the parks before having to leave to receive treatments or other medical necessities. An alternative place to wait is not the solution in these cases and they should absolutely be able to skip the lines over healthy able bodied guests that come and go as they please whenever they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter