Guest Assistance Cards ending, to be replaced with Fastpasses?

doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Interesting article from MiceAge (scroll down a bit):

http://micechat.com/42628-miceage-disneyland-update/

It mostly talks about this at Disneyland and DCA, but says it is also going it at WDW at the same time.

Interestingly, the implementation of it sounds very similar to what I proposed back with the DIS Blog article came out about the first rumors of GAC being changed...except I proposed linking it to MagicBands/RFID and issuing a Fastpass+ return time relative to the standby wait...DLR of course doesn't have that yet.

If this is true, it should get very interesting.

Thanks for posting this! I am glad to see that they are doing something about the GAC program. This seems fair - allowing someone who is unable to wait in line the ability to come back at a set time so they do not have to do wait. Yet it also eliminates the perceived special treatment since that person can not let someone else use the GAC nor can they get on 'more' rides than a non-GAC person could in the same amount of time. I see some holes in it already though. I am not sure I would be happy with getting a photo when a normal ticket holder does not need one yet Disney's policy clearly states that the ticket holder is the only one that can use a ticket. Perhaps they can enhance this function with the magic bands somehow or utilize fingerprints as that seems more equal and fair.

Personally, I am always amazed that anyone - whether they need a GAC or not - would want to go on ride after ride after ride. I do not believe that you 'win' if you go on the most rides :confused3 I recognize that I have been lucky to visit WDW and due to that, I do not feel I lose out if I do not get to ride something. But it is also something that I have taken away for other vacations and outings - we concentrate on the most important things we want to see and do and everything else is cherry.

The stories we remember and tell over and over again are about interactions with each other and other people - not a ride itself.

The issue with my DS is that if we walk up to a ride to get the FP or return time, he may literally throw himself on the ground if we tell him that we aren't riding Soarin', that we are coming back in an hour to ride Soarin'. I like the idea of Kiosks if they are centrally located, and not right in front of the ride.

I have to say this will cause an issue for some of my friends who have children on the spectrum. They don't understand you have to come back and will melt down and it can last for days not minutes. It makes me sad that people have cheated the system so much that those in need will suffer the consequences of that. I just do not see how the new system will work for kids on the spectrum.

I agree, I have a child on the spectrum as well. This could be very ugly. The biggest challenge we face is anxiety, and being able to "get away" if needed. We never know when the "get away moments are going to be. Trust me, other guests would much rather we get away then experience what we have to go through.

My wife uses the GAC card due to Gulf War Illness & while she looks just fine, she really isn't. The GAC allowed us to tour at her pace, go on rides with minimal PTSD anxiety causing crowds or wait, ability for leaving lines & returning to fast pass line when needed & not having to back track, thus easing joint & foot pain from tench foot. Even with the GAC, she can only handle 2-3 hours at the parks with maybe 1-2 rides.
She's already said that the new system is going to limit her time in the parks even further, which really bums me out as I'd spend from opening to close if I could!

She was wondering if Disney could code disabled AP holders passes or DVC members passes with some sort of Disability code verified by a Dr note, but I guess that would be against the ADA regulations & a privacy violation.

Monika, just wanted to thank your wife for her service, and you as well because its not just the one who actually goes to war that is in the war. I remember way back when I got out of the service how many of us also suffered from PTSD, only it wasn't recognized then, and the difficulty of meshing with everyday life at home.

Your wife's PTSD is also a good illustration of how wrong those who believe that if you don't have some visible physical condition, then you must be abusing the system.

I really wish they would have waited to do this after FP+ goes live for everyone. We are going Oct 17 and staying at FW. I am not eligible for FP+. If we were FP+ eligible I probably wouldn't even need the GAC.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Disney is between a rock and a hard place here. People are abusing the systems and the current way of doing things can't be policed the way it should be. However, people have also become used to the fact that Disney goes so BEYOND what they have to do (and that is not a bad thing). So now Disney has to find something that will limit abuse but still meet the law when it comes to accessibility.

Sadly, this most likely means that Disney will get to the point where they follow the letter of the law and not much more.

I will also point out that we don't have 100% of the information yet.

http://****************.com/confirmed-information-wdw-dl-gac-100813/

Confirmed Information WDW & DL NO more GAC after 10/08/13

Well it’s true, it’s time to say good bye the old Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

This evening I accepted a call from Suzi Brown at Disneyland California Park. She confirmed that what was previously reported on our No More Guest Assistance Cards after 10/8/13 at WDW or DL .

Both parks will be implementing the new system on 10/9/13. Cast Members start training on 09/24/13 for the DAP system.

I know there are a lot of us who are apprehensive about these changes, and many fore see many pitfalls. We are being encouraged to discuss our specific needs and what accommodations we might need with the Cast Members when getting our wait times. I would like to add, that while this new system maybe frustrating, we should NEVER take our frustrations out on the Cast Members.

We will be going to each park 10/9 through 10/11 to test this system and report back on how successful we feel it is, as well as provide recommendations for families with children on the spectrum on how to continue to have a successful trip to WDW.

I know Disney is open to any suggestions guest will have about the Disabled Assistance Pass, which I hope includes the name. Disney is built on making magical memories for it’s guests, and while at first glance this new system seems to make a magical vacation difficult for those who are disabled, I am sure that if that is really the case, Disney will modify it to ensure all guests are experiencing the magic.

Suzi Brown, Director, Media Relations and External Communications, Disneyland Resort, ensured me that Disney will listen to all the suggestions and feedback from guests.

We have an unwavering commitment to making our parks accessible to all guests. Given the increasing volume of requests we receive for special access to our attractions, we are changing our process to create a more consistent experience for all our guests while providing accommodations for guests with disabilities.

What do you think? Can we give a chance before we condemn it? I am personally struggling with accepting that this will work, I am willing to try it. And more than happy to report back if it is an ok solution or if it is as bad as all the commentors believe it will be.

Disney has an unwavering commitment to making our experiences accessible to all Guests. After careful consideration, we will be replacing the Guest Assistance Card with the new Disability Access Service Card on Oct. 9 to create a more consistent experience for all our Guests while providing accommodations for Guests with disabilities. Until Oct. 9, we will continue to use Guest Assistance Cards. We look forward to sharing more information about the Disability Access Service Card as we get closer to implementation.

Further provided from Suzi Brown, Director, Media Relations and External Communications, Disneyland Resort:

After careful consideration, we will be replacing the Guest Assistance Card with the new Disability Access Service Card on Oct. 9 to create a more consistent experience for all our Guests while providing accommodations for Guests with disabilities.
Until Oct. 9, we will continue to use Guest Assistance Cards. We look forward to sharing more information about the Disability Access Service Card as we get closer to implementation.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How will the new program work?
The Disability Access Service Card will offer Guests a return time for an attraction based on the current wait time. Guest Assistance Cards will continue to be in effect until Oct. 9. We look forward to sharing more information as we get closer to implementation.

Did you ask for feedback in developing the Disability Access Service Card?
We are engaging disability groups, and Autism Speaks was instrumental in providing feedback as we developed this new process.

Why are you doing this?
Given the increasing volume of requests we receive for special access to our attractions, we are changing our process beginning Oct. 9 so that it creates a more consistent experience for all our Guests while providing accommodations for Guests with disabilities.

Who will be eligible for a Disability Access Service Card?
Our goal is to accommodate Guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities).

Will Guests on wish trips also use Disability Access Service Cards?
No. Guests who are visiting through wish-granting organizations will have access through a separate program.

What should Guests do if they have concerns?
Guests should contact Guest Relations to discuss their concerns

There are not too many details about the Disability Access System yet, but I am thinking that it is an unlimited number of Fastpass Plus reservations per day, but the DAS will only allow 1 reservation at a time. Make a reservation, ride the ride, go back to the kiosk, make the next reservation. It sounds bad. Media relations says "People visiting in wheelchairs likely won’t qualify for a DAS." However, Media Relations is touting the fact that Autism Speaks helped develop the system. The DAS will expire at the end of each day. I do not like that one bit!!!!
I will be at WDW October 11-20. I am both nervous and curious about the new system. I will bring all the documentation with me.

I am not sure what to think about Disney's new Disability Assistance System, but I will be there for the first weekend. It should be interesting. I do LOVE the MagicBand though. The MagicBand made things a lot easier for me.

It's obvious when you start trying to limit "GAC people's" ride pace, afraid they might get an extra ride in, that you have zero idea what it is truly like to live in that world. Let me explain to you, Tinkerbellie, what it can be like. My son has dual disabilities: autism and arthritis. He is in so much pain daily that he throws up and feels like he is hot and cold at the same time. I've recently been to this special place with pain post-surgery myself, and it's miserable. In spite of seeing a pain manager, it's how my son lives. (After 4 years we just got the throwing up stopped with coffee of all things.) His arthritis requires 4 infusions monthly, 2 are actual chemotherapy. He has a powerchair, and he cannot stay in a Disney park for 8 hours, much less open to close like many "Non GAC people", as you call them. There are days he has been able to tolerate only 1 or 2 hours, and we were done. One Disney vacation we took, he went into the park one day for 2 hours. And you are worried about him getting to ride a few minutes faster between rides, because we are doing SO MUCH riding after all. We don't use his pass without him. We don't loan it to friends. I'm mad that others have abused the system. We buy Annual Passes because our son isn't healthy enough to enjoy Disney in big bites. Now our AP's for our family of 5 seem to be a huge waste of money, as the one place we could take him for vacation is no longer going to work. Yes, this is a real victory! More people are aware how to cheat the system, and people who really need accomodation will get much less than they need. The people who are healthy and are able to backtrack for Fastpasses can all feel a false sense of security that Disney is reigning in the disability fraud while, in fact, they have just told the world how to lie and get access.

It's obvious when you start trying to limit "GAC people's" ride pace, afraid they might get an extra ride in, that you have zero idea what it is truly like to live in that world. Let me explain to you, Tinkerbellie, what it can be like. My son has dual disabilities: autism and arthritis. He is in so much pain daily that he throws up and feels like he is hot and cold at the same time. I've recently been to this special place with pain post-surgery myself, and it's miserable. In spite of seeing a pain manager, it's how my son lives. (After 4 years we just got the throwing up stopped with coffee of all things.) His arthritis requires 4 infusions monthly, 2 are actual chemotherapy. He has a powerchair, and he cannot stay in a Disney park for 8 hours, much less open to close like many "Non GAC people", as you call them. There are days he has been able to tolerate only 1 or 2 hours, and we were done. One Disney vacation we took, he went into the park one day for 2 hours. And you are worried about him getting to ride a few minutes faster between rides, because we are doing SO MUCH riding after all. We don't use his pass without him. We don't loan it to friends. I'm mad that others have abused the system. We buy Annual Passes because our son isn't healthy enough to enjoy Disney in big bites. Now our AP's for our family of 5 seem to be a huge waste of money, as the one place we could take him for vacation is no longer going to work. Yes, this is a real victory! More people are aware how to cheat the system, and people who really need accomodation will get much less than they need. The people who are healthy and are able to backtrack for Fastpasses can all feel a false sense of security that Disney is reigning in the disability fraud while, in fact, they have just told the world how to lie and get access.

Well said!!!

I do not have a child with a disability but I do have family who have children with a disability and have worked with children with disabilities. This new system is just more of an enforcement of what the system has always been set up to do but never followed. It was set up to provide EQUAL access to rides for people with disabilities. Even with the original system, persons with disabilities were supposed to wait the posted time before getting on the ride, but because they had no way of following this, people got almost right on the ride. I know this is not how every ride worked but a lot of them did. Disney is NOT making disability fraud, the law states there is to be equal access. If you read the article, for 1 it is talking mainly about DL and actually says the system will probably be set up differently for WDW because the parks are so different. And again if you read the article, they will be subtracting time from the wait time for travel time so like 10-15 minutes less than the wait time. So even if the wait time is 30 minutes you could only have to wait 15 minutes before getting on the ride. It is SIMILAR to a fastpass but is NOT a fastpass. Typical fastpass return times are several hours after you receive it. Right now it says you would go through the fastpass line, I have a feeling once this is implemented, that will change for those that need it. Also for those children on the spectrum, they have consulted with Autism Speaks. No one knows exactly how this system will work, wait to criticize until you have actually tried it.

Thanks for posting this! I am glad to see that they are doing something about the GAC program. This seems fair - allowing someone who is unable to wait in line the ability to come back at a set time so they do not have to do wait. Yet it also eliminates the perceived special treatment since that person can not let someone else use the GAC nor can they get on 'more' rides than a non-GAC person could in the same amount of time. I see some holes in it already though. I am not sure I would be happy with getting a photo when a normal ticket holder does not need one yet Disney's policy clearly states that the ticket holder is the only one that can use a ticket. Perhaps they can enhance this function with the magic bands somehow or utilize fingerprints as that seems more equal and fair.

Personally, I am always amazed that anyone - whether they need a GAC or not - would want to go on ride after ride after ride. I do not believe that you 'win' if you go on the most rides :confused3 I recognize that I have been lucky to visit WDW and due to that, I do not feel I lose out if I do not get to ride something. But it is also something that I have taken away for other vacations and outings - we concentrate on the most important things we want to see and do and everything else is cherry.

The stories we remember and tell over and over again are about interactions with each other and other people - not a ride itself.

I feel the need to comment on this comment. I am not going to get into the debate on whether the GAC or DAS or whatever is better or worse. I truly don't care. None of the changes address our actual needs. What I do have a little bit of irkness over is the comment I bolded above. My guess is you don't have a child with Autism. My son could happily ride a ride over and over and over and over again non stop. To him, that is fun. While we may get bored doing the same thing over and over again, it is enjoyable to him. He also enjoys watching the same video over and over and over again. Some kids on the spectrum are stimulation seekers while others are stimulation avoiders. My child is very much a seeker. Sitting around and "smelling the roses" wouldn't go over well with him.

I feel the need to comment on this comment. I am not going to get into the debate on whether the GAC or DAS or whatever is better or worse. I truly don't care. None of the changes address our actual needs. What I do have a little bit of irkness over is the comment I bolded above. My guess is you don't have a child with Autism. My son could happily ride a ride over and over and over and over again non stop. To him, that is fun. While we may get bored doing the same thing over and over again, it is enjoyable to him. He also enjoys watching the same video over and over and over again. Some kids on the spectrum are stimulation seekers while others are stimulation avoiders. My child is very much a seeker. Sitting around and "smelling the roses" wouldn't go over well with him.

There are non-disabled children who also like to ride the rides. I think the new card is just providing equal access.

There are non-disabled children who also like to ride the rides. I think the new card is just providing equal access.

Before you get yourself in a tizzy, my comment was only addressing the comment of the part I bolded. Someone commented about how she couldn't believe people would want to just ride rides all the time.

Well said. My son would ride a ride that he likes over and over. I am lucky that I can generally redirect him, but have seen others on the spectrum that can not be so easily dissuaded. I think what people fail to realize that you have to temper your expectations of others, these meltdowns are not always teachable behaviors, like they would be in most other children. I have different expectations of my daughters ( non autistic) than I do of my son. I have only once used the GAC to ride twice in a row (because of a melt down) normally we will get FP and if he really likes it we occasionally let him go again with his GAC, but with well managed schedule and FP pulls we usually don't use a GAC more than 2-3 times per day.

Such as sad statement that all of us who truly need it rarely use it and feel guilty when we do or are made to feel guilty by others; and yet these selfish people take without a thought to the consequences...

This really makes me upset that people who actually need the GAC have to suffer. My daughter has cancer and cannot walk. We actually were a make a wish family in 2011. She had so much fun we took her back in 2012 and this year. She doesn't "look" sick though. I always provide medical records and a letter from her doctor when getting the GAC card. What is wrong with requiring this information and keeping the system like it is??? She is on MANY medications that make her sensitive to heat and sunlight. She isn't able to just SIT while waiting on a time to go back to a ride! This is ridiculous! As a matter of fact on our last trip this past Easter people were getting MAD because they had to WAIT on her. It made me cry because I would rather wait three hours in line then for her to have STAGE 4 CANCER. This makes me sick even thinking that when we take her back she has to suffer because of others that are lazy want to abuse the privilege.

This really makes me upset that people who actually need the GAC have to suffer. My daughter has cancer and cannot walk. We actually were a make a wish family in 2011. She had so much fun we took her back in 2012 and this year. She doesn't "look" sick though. I always provide medical records and a letter from her doctor when getting the GAC card. What is wrong with requiring this information and keeping the system like it is??? She is on MANY medications that make her sensitive to heat and sunlight. She isn't able to just SIT while waiting on a time to go back to a ride! This is ridiculous! As a matter of fact on our last trip this past Easter people were getting MAD because they had to WAIT on her. It made me cry because I would rather wait three hours in line then for her to have STAGE 4 CANCER. This makes me sick even thinking that when we take her back she has to suffer because of others that are lazy want to abuse the privilege.

:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter