Guardians of the Galaxy Still Virtual

I have heard, from an insider, that GOTG will be getting a standby line as soon as Tron goes on the VQ. Great news, because I trust this "here one second, gone the next" VQ system about as far as I can throw it. We don't plan to be up at the crack of dawn.

I'm just praying that we can get ILL for Tron, at least once. But if that's gone in a flash, too, this system truly sucks. We'll be in WDW for ten park days, plus a Halloween Party. If we don't get to ride the new E Ticket even once during that span, then, IMHO, this system doesn't work.
If you're staying onsite I seriously doubt you'll have a problem purchasing an ILL for Tron if you are up at 7 for it. Amongst other things, it's a 48 inch height-restricted ride. No matter how popular it is, for a MK ride, that is high.

If you're staying onsite I seriously doubt you'll have a problem purchasing an ILL for Tron if you are up at 7 for it. Amongst other things, it's a 48 inch height-restricted ride. No matter how popular it is, for a MK ride, that is high.
We are staying onsite, but, as I mentioned in my post, we have no intention of being up that early to play "fastest fingers" with an army of smartphone pros. We plan to close the parks, because, from everything I've read and heard, that's a better option than the early entry insanity. And we're not going to burn the candle at both ends.

I loathe the fact that we are being asked to either lose sleep while on vacation, or give up on riding the newest attraction. Lousy, unpalatable choice.

For EVERY popular new attraction to come to WDW, when they used to open with FP and standby, we always knew that we would get to ride, multiple times. Now, with this supposedly beter solution of VQ/ILL, we don't have that assurance at all, even on a ten day park odyssey. This is an improvement??

Last edited:
We are staying onsite, but, as I mentioned in my post, we have no intention of being up that early to play "fastest fingers" with an army of smartphone pros. We plan to close the parks, because, from everything I've read and heard, that's a better option than the early entry insanity. And we're not going to burn the candle at both ends.

I loathe the fact that we are being asked to either lose sleep while on vacation, or give up on riding the newest attraction. Lousy, unpalatable choice.

For EVERY popular new attraction to come to WDW, when they used to open with FP and standby, we always knew that we would get to ride, multiple times. Now, with this supposedly beter solution of VQ/ILL, we don't have that assurance at all, even on a ten day park odyssey. This is an improvement??
I’m not sure that you’ll have to. So long as you are awake before park open you may be able to purchase an ILL$. After park open youro’e going to to lose your on-site priority benefit.

Or some people would pay for the ILL. I would have paid for the ILL if it wasn’t for the VQ.

And some of us did both. On my trip last August, I got VQ at 7 for all the days I was in Epcot (and it was lasting long enough at 1 I would have gotten it then had I not at 7), bought ILL every day I was in Epcot, and got the VQ for extra evening hours (THAT was actually tougher than 7am based on the chorus of "I clicked as fast as I could"s and "UGH"s around Creations and Connections at 6pm).

I'm a total Guardians fan (obvs). :)

And some of us did both. On my trip last August, I got VQ at 7 for all the days I was in Epcot (and it was lasting long enough at 1 I would have gotten it then had I not at 7), bought ILL every day I was in Epcot, and got the VQ for extra evening hours (THAT was actually tougher than 7am based on the chorus of "I clicked as fast as I could"s and "UGH"s around Creations and Connections at 6pm.
YUP that would be the plan! and so far it worked.

One of these be careful what one asks for ... if it went SB I guarantee the number of $ILL$ will go UP, and SB lines will be miserable. They will pull plenty out of that VQ pot and put in the money pot. Those LLs will be a steady flow while SB stands still.

We stayed offsite this past summer and we got the VQ at 1pm every time with ease. Now RotR was another story when we tried at 7am when it was VQ—I got it but it froze and would finish. I took a screen shot and went to guest services where they were able to give me a BG. Talk about stress!!

For every one family that the VQ system "doesn't work for," there are hundreds, if not thousands, of families that it does work for. Do you honestly believe that every single family who uses the VQ is also losing sleep on vacation instead of, I don't know, just going to bed at a reasonable to time to enjoy their time at the parks on new rides?

For every one family that the VQ system "doesn't work for," there are hundreds, if not thousands, of families that it does work for. Do you honestly believe that every single family who uses the VQ is also losing sleep on vacation instead of, I don't know, just going to bed at a reasonable to time to enjoy their time at the parks on new rides?
The parks are open fairly late. People get in line before closing time, and end up getting back to the hotel far later. Sometimes there are shows that run past closing time. There are after hour events, halloween/Christmas parties, extended evening hours, etc. There are guests who just prefer to sleep in -- why, because they're ON VACATION.

No, this "spring awake before 7 a.m. and get on those phones to race against an army of smartphone pros with no guarantee that you'll even be rewarded" nonsense is far, far from serving all guests. If I had a buck for every time I've read complaints about it on these boards, I could retire today.

Last edited:
While it's gone very quickly, personally I'd rather know by 7:01 whether to get ready to head to GotG and approx. what time or, if we have time to do other things.

Without a VQ I'd be rushing us out the door to arrive as soon as possible for ETPE. Stressing between GotG or Remy and then arriving as quickly as we can only to find we're in a 3+ hour wait?

The lack of a VQ does not decrease the amount of people who want to ride GotG. It just means all the people currently hopping on their phones at 7AM to grab a coveted spot are now racing to the park to see how they land in the standby lottery.

Give me a VQ any day!!!
Absolutely!! Plugging for VQ and ILL at the same time is stressful too, but at least you know straightaway if your riding or not. I hate rushing to the park and immediately getting in a really long line, but we all do it because "this is the way." VQ has been a nice option for A level rides.

Last edited:
But with a standby line, you decide if you will ride. With the VQ, a lottery system decides. And if yu lose at this lotto for the duration of your trip, you're SOL.

One of the main reasons those hundreds, if not thousands, of families enjoy being up early is the parks are not nearly as crowded as they become later in the day and evening. Which of course means there are many families who do not want to be up early. If the true ratio were 1 to hundreds or thousands, then everyone would be up early and in the parks and they would not become some much more crowded later.

Depends. By limiting a 1 ride per day; it opens up more capacity for all. By having a 'free option' that's not survival of the fittest bladder it becomes more equitable. And in finest American tradition; one can pay their way for access.

Remember for the extended hours, you still have to 'fastest fingers' it for the extended hours VQ.

While it's gone very quickly, personally I'd rather know by 7:01 whether to get ready to head to GotG and approx. what time or, if we have time to do other things.

Without a VQ I'd be rushing us out the door to arrive as soon as possible for ETPE. Stressing between GotG or Remy and then arriving as quickly as we can only to find we're in a 3+ hour wait?

The lack of a VQ does not decrease the amount of people who want to ride GotG. It just means all the people currently hopping on their phones at 7AM to grab a coveted spot are now racing to the park to see how they land in the standby lottery.

Give me a VQ any day!!!
If there were no VQ, GotG would be fully implemented into G+, so all of those people would still be on their phones and plans would be made.

Of course the higher demand attractions, like GotG, are the toughest to get. But when it gets thrown fully into the standard G+ process, other attractions will then become easier to get.

Yes, it then goes from being a free option to a paid option, but that answers the question of why free VQs will always be removed at some point.

I have never not gotten a bg with Guardians VQ. Rise - yes missed out on first drop. During my Feb trip, Guardians had bg availablity at 5:00 PM and still had spots as I was leaving the park for Skyliner after my 730 pm bg call back.

For the new ride, all I'm asking for is availability well beyond the microscopic 7:00-7:01 a.m. sliver of time. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so.

Yeah, most families would rather wake up at 7 (a time when families with children are usually up anyway) versus standing in a 4 hour line. This poster is in the minority.

But with a standby line, you decide if you will ride. With the VQ, a lottery system decides. And if yu lose at this lotto for the duration of your trip, you're SOL.
Disney tries to cater to the every person more than the diehard fans on this board. Yes, the diehard fans on this board may be fine with waiting in a 4, 5, or 6 hour line for a brand new attractions, but I guarantee you the average Disney guest is not. VQ is much better for them.

But even more imporantly, rides go down a lot. Standing in line for hours only to have the ride go down is far worse than having it go down after you got a VQ.

For the new ride, all I'm asking for is availability well beyond the microscopic 7:00-7:01 a.m. sliver of time. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so.
Probably not. The first few months? Yeah I bet it goes quickly. But after that? It’s a 48 inch height-restricted ride at MK. That is the tallest height restriction at MK, with the second closest being SM at a full 4 inches shorter. I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as people think it will.

Not particularly - it's still first come first serve. There is no systematic randomness to selecting it. You just want the method of first come first serve that fits you as opposed to the method that fits others. As others have pointed out - getting the VQ takes a few seconds so even if they only last 30 seconds you can get one. Especially at 1pm. This system gives more people a chance to ride without having to spoil half their day waiting on line. Some people get the short end of the stick under any system. You cannot name a system where everyone is happy. I can point out tons of types of people who are, as you say, SOL under a pure standby system for rides like Guardians. And saying "that's for them to decide" is not a valid response since it's based on the assumption that certain people should have priority over others due to their circumstances. All in all - the VQ saves many many people hours of time in line while offering a relative fair distribution of the daily available spaces. The number of people who can ride any ride each day is a fixed number - the hourly capacity of a ride is set. Changing how you determine who gets to ride doesn't allow more people to ride, it just shifts some of those slots from one group to another - and most complaints can be summed up as people who want slots shifted in a way to benefit them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter