• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grumble about FE

I typically close all FE's 4-6 weeks away from sail date and then I do a Pixie Dust group for all of those who come into the group late and would like to do something. In your case, I would only make/buy for those who are already in the group.

Our FE closed but we just created a late joiner group. OP no reason to panic. Just get some small things at target/ dollar store and be done with it for the new add. IMO refusing to give to the add as others suggested is a bit rude as they are gifting you. FE should not be stressful. Saying you are inconvienced is a bit over board. Now changing a group a few days before a cruise yes. But you have weeks to gets something. Who cares if their gift is not your original order, get something different. It’s the inclusion and thought that counts.

You really need to share your story (nicely) with the organizer who did this. Perhaps she doesn’t realize the extent to which you were inconvenienced. If you don’t tell her, she’s likely to do it again.
I ended up suggesting that she send individual messages to our group to let them know and pointed out that I had finalized my FE gifts weeks ago and others might have too and not realize a new person had been added, and i added that customarily, FE groups do not reopen after they are closed for that reason.. She replied she did not know because it was her first FE (which seemed weird—why would she volunteer to organize then?) but I’m glad I spoke up because otherwise it sounds like she would have just kept adding people.

I ended up suggesting that she send individual messages to our group to let them know and pointed out that I had finalized my FE gifts weeks ago and others might have too and not realize a new person had been added, and i added that customarily, FE groups do not reopen after they are closed for that reason.. She replied she did not know because it was her first FE (which seemed weird—why would she volunteer to organize then?) but I’m glad I spoke up because otherwise it sounds like she would have just kept adding people.
I am glad to hear you spoke up. Hopefully, she moves the latecomers to a new FE/pixie dust group.

Last edited:
Just get some small things at target/ dollar store and be done with it for the new add. IMO refusing to give to the add as others suggested is a bit rude as they are gifting you. FE should not be stressful. Saying you are inconvienced is a bit over board.

I respectfully disagree with this, and it seems that calling others "rude", and "a bit overboard", is against forum rules.

Like the OP, I have done FE groups, but I have CAREFULLY been sure to only join small groups as I want my vacation to be FUN and NOT stressful. Even YOU say "FE should not be stressful", to which I heartily agree. :cutie: Like others, most of us do agonize a bit over getting the right gifts for the right folks (esp. when there are threads about awful FE gifts), and spend a good bit of time either shopping or crafting, then preparing for delivery each of these gifts. To have an FE group closed, then to reopen it WITHOUT the group's unanimous agreement is inappropriate at best and inconsiderate. Like the OP, I would likely make the added effort to buy some more goodies but if I had gone to great lengths for the original group, I would most likely NOT be going to great lengths for the added ones. Sure, I feel for the late ones, but I have been part of a late-comers FE group, and THAT is what should have happened here.

OP, I think you are being more than kind and thoughtful. I agree that the group members should have immediately responded back to the organizer that they were not okay with the additions post close. Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise!!! pixiedust:

Yay! So glad you notified the organizer. Excellent job!

I suspected she had never organized a group before. I’m so proud of you for responding to her - that can’t have been easy. Have a great cruise!

I'm kind of surprised she would offer to organize the FE group without doing any research on how they work/when they typically close or get input from others on the board. I've never organized one either, but I will always ask for input from ours cruisers before making any final decisions.

Either way, I'm glad you notified her so that she will not add anyone else so close to cruising!

That explains everything. I've organized multiple FEs and it's pretty simple. Once the main groups fill and close, start a latecomers group. If that fills, start another and so on and so on. There are always people booking late and wanting to join. As long as the admin sets the expectations and isn't a control freak, there shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
When I’ve run FE, I will close any groups that are full at PIF. All groups are officially closed by 30 days out. Anyone who comes after goes on a Pixie Dust list.
^ this is usually the norm of how it works from what I can tell.... I am in an FE group that had a lot of members drop out of it since signing up so we're down to about 7 cabins but even with this, our FE coordinator called on our group and asked if it was ok to add more cabins before she added anyone new. We're 70 days out from cruising fwiw.

We just got our FE group, we have two cabins that are side by side, same last name, same home town and our organizer put both cabins in the same group. Would you say it is reasonable to ask for one to be switched?

Edit: there are at least two other groups.

We just got our FE group, we have two cabins that are side by side, same last name, same home town and our organizer put both cabins in the same group. Would you say it is reasonable to ask for one to be switched?

I can't imagine the FE coordinator would have a problem switching you. I know I wouldn't.

I'm curious why you'd want to change. I would assume that family will give two gifts.

Our FE closed but we just created a late joiner group. OP no reason to panic. Just get some small things at target/ dollar store and be done with it for the new add. IMO refusing to give to the add as others suggested is a bit rude as they are gifting you. FE should not be stressful. Saying you are inconvienced is a bit over board. Now changing a group a few days before a cruise yes. But you have weeks to gets something. Who cares if their gift is not your original order, get something different. It’s the inclusion and thought that counts.
I definitely disagree and would feel inconvenienced in the same situation. Sounds like a major PITA, frankly.

I am organizing a FE for our Spring Break cruise. I am closing it 60 days out from our cruise, although I like the PIF idea. I am asking at the PIF date that members indicate if they are still interested in participating in the FE, that gives them and me 30 days until the group is officially closed. After that cut-off date, I will create a Pixie Dust group for any of our late-comers. This will be my 2nd FE group to organize. I learned a lot after participating in one on my first DCL cruise and then co-organizing one after that when we sailed to Alaska.

I'm curious why you'd want to change. I would assume that family will give two gifts.

I think Pkltm is part of the family that is in two cabins with the same last name, so maybe doesn't want to gift the other half of the family.

We've had this happen to us but it was a late comer that asked to join. Most of us said yes, not a problem. Our organizer was a firm no and then got mad when we said we'd just pixie dust her family. I'm glad we included her because she really went all out on her gifts.

We've had it the other way, too when someone asked to join last minute (like within 2 weeks of the cruise) and the organizer added her. I made more gifts for her family. At our group meet, she showed up and was very apologetic but she didn't have time to get gifts this close to the cruise but anyone who wanted to meet her at a certain time, she'd buy them a drink (we don't drink so passed on her offer). But she made it very clear that she still wanted our gifts because her kids were looking forward to it. Right or wrong, I pixie dusted her and her husband's gifts to another cabin but did leave her kids their gifts because it wasn't their fault.

We've had this happen to us but it was a late comer that asked to join. Most of us said yes, not a problem. Our organizer was a firm no and then got mad when we said we'd just pixie dust her family. I'm glad we included her because she really went all out on her gifts.

We've had it the other way, too when someone asked to join last minute (like within 2 weeks of the cruise) and the organizer added her. I made more gifts for her family. At our group meet, she showed up and was very apologetic but she didn't have time to get gifts this close to the cruise but anyone who wanted to meet her at a certain time, she'd buy them a drink (we don't drink so passed on her offer). But she made it very clear that she still wanted our gifts because her kids were looking forward to it. Right or wrong, I pixie dusted her and her husband's gifts to another cabin but did leave her kids their gifts because it wasn't their fault.

That was very nice of you to gift her kids!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter