"Grr...No Outside Photographers For Park Weddings!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those who have a problem with this thread... I completely disagree with you. It is incredibly important as it can help future disbrides make informed decisions. I don't understand why some of you would want to stifle the opinions being posted here. When people say that they do not like Disney's Photography Services, it is a VALID subjective criticism. Photography is art and it useful AND constructive to have these sorts of discussions.

NONE of the comments here are intended to attack any bride personally.

I am grateful to these boards for lots of helpful information. Photography is not my biggest concern, and I probably would have gone with Disney, but when I learned that the Misty photos I loved were significantly cheaper than DPS, I was sold. I don't think the problem with this thread and others like it is the information presented; I think it's the tone. I can understand why people at Disney don't like these boards--when one bride (or groom) has a problem, we compound it by dishing on Disney. It's fine to prefer outside photographers, and to write to Disney to change the policy, but I don't think they are doing this purposely to sabotage our fairy tale weddings. At a corporate level, they made a decision which in all likelihood has nothing to do with the utilization of DPS services. So let's be constructive, and consider that some people are happy with Disney photography, even if others wouldn't be.

I can't find the thread right now, but I remember a bride who posted on the boards a few months ago whose Disney Photographer just completely DID NOT show up to her wedding. And luckily she had hired an outside videographer who was able to create still photos from her video. I think that was the situation.

I would die if that happened. That is the thing. Pictures are really the most important aspect of the wedding...as someone said earlier. IF you cake or flowers are not to you liking then whatever that is something small but if your pictures are either overpriced and not allowing you to get other things...like a Dessert Party or if they are of poor quality, or the photographer doesnt show up!! then that will ruin your entire day.

I don't think anyone on here is knocking ALL disney photographers. I have seen some good work from a few its just that their pricing and packages are outrageous.

Hey Ladies!

Didn't mean to stir the pot - I just wanted to put it out there that there are people on this board who have decided to use Disney and who will use Disney for photo. And making blanket comments like "inferior quality" and "DPS SUCKS" is simply not going to help.

Until you have had to opportunity to view someone's entire body of work, or until you become a photographer or editor yourself, none of us are qualified to make statemtns like the ones listed above. Furthermore - that is not the purpose of this board.

I was just putting it out there that the policy change and the quality of Disney's Work are two separate issues and should be dealt with as such.

Thank you all for reminding me why i never post and never should have not posted to begin with. I guess my clarity and perspective fell on deaf ears. Every time anyone has anything half decent to contibute, people who have had their weddings 12 years ago jump down your throat with a battery of poor and outdated information.

There are thousands of people who can't afford A wedding - much less a 15 to 25K wedding at Disney. Some people have nothing and need help from others - contributions of time, love, enrgy and hope.

If each one of you who sits on your computer - each and every day - year after year - talking about bouquets and how crappy disney is - could you imagine how great this world would be if you devoted that time to volunteering, donting to charity, planting a tree, teaching, reading, learning and so on. I'm just putting it out there..Everyone else is very free with their opinions...so i'm finally getting brave and putting mine out there, too.

I'm not trying to take your experience away from you - we all deserve to be a princess once in our lifetime. it's just that some of you really need a reality check and dose of real life. If you can't afford it, move on and stop whining about it.

Like i said before...there are some people who have nothing. It has been over three years since Hurrican Katrina and our own country is still suffering. So it's hard to sympathize with oh poor us we can't use Randy when people that we live and breathe with and work with are right beside us who need help.

Ladies - pool all this negative enrgy together and do something great with it. You all are very creative and i'm sure are very nice people. Stop sitting in front of the computer for the next planning journal. It's not your life's work.

Make something of substance your life's work. Do something with this time, this energy that you have.

Seriously, because if I have to look at one more pink and green Mickey jewel encrusted, bobble head-viel-trinket choctchki, I think I just might throw my computer out the window.

...and PS to preggers up there...thanks for the conspiracy theory, but i'm not that captain jack post. I wish i had that much time.

This will be the last time i post or read this board. The bad ju ju that eminates from this board is contagious.

In the words of Charles Dickins "No one is useless who helps another".

Please get off your computers, get out there and make a difference in the world.

Signing off..

SWEET NOLA
Sweet New Orelans Honey

I am grateful to these boards for lots of helpful information. Photography is not my biggest concern, and I probably would have gone with Disney, but when I learned that the Misty photos I loved were significantly cheaper than DPS, I was sold. I don't think the problem with this thread and others like it is the information presented; I think it's the tone. I can understand why people at Disney don't like these boards--when one bride (or groom) has a problem, we compound it by dishing on Disney. It's fine to prefer outside photographers, and to write to Disney to change the policy, but I don't think they are doing this purposely to sabotage our fairy tale weddings. At a corporate level, they made a decision which in all likelihood has nothing to do with the utilization of DPS services. So let's be constructive, and consider that some people are happy with Disney photography, even if others wouldn't be.

I agree completely that the tone is the problem. The "valid subjective criticism" I was referring to does go both ways.

My intent was to say that no one should stifle anyone's subjective opinions on this matter and that no one should take what is said, either way, personally.

I did not make that clear because I was focusing on those who seemed to be taking it personally. But I hope my statement is clearer now...

In light of Disney's effort to enforce their old policy, this is a perfect forum for subjective criticism of an artist who happens to be very expensive. There is no other forum to discuss this. However, it is not a good forum for subjective criticism of disbrides choices.

So I completely agree with you.

Nikki

Hey Ladies!

Ladies - pool all this negative enrgy together and do something great with it. You all are very creative and i'm sure are very nice people. Stop sitting in front of the computer for the next planning journal. It's not your life's work.

Make something of substance your life's work. Do something with this time, this energy that you have.

Seriously, because if I have to look at one more pink and green Mickey jewel encrusted, bobble head-viel-trinket choctchki, I think I just might throw my computer out the window.

...and PS to preggers up there...thanks for the conspiracy theory, but i'm not that captain jack post. I wish i had that much time.

Please get off your computers, get out there and make a difference in the world.

This is my point exactly. Why so we need to get personal? Why do we need to take opinions of Corporate Disney, their choices and their photography services personally?

There are people who need and want this information. And it is constructive to have subjective opinions about art and related professions.

Last post on this thread for me... I swear :)

Sweet Nola,
Please don't be discouraged. We're not upset at you at all, we are upset at Disney's policy.
We can probably all agree that MOST DISbrides finds outside vendors much more reasonably priced with the quality they provide compared to Disney's photogs.

Not saying that disney photogs aren't great but in general wouldn't all of us want great quality stuff for cheaper price?

We're not saying that people shouldn't use Disney's services either, all we're saying is for the brides who knows the options and would prefer other photogs there should be a way.

I'm not going to touch the katrina comment because that's completely OT.

Hope you're not too appalled of us. Since all we're doing is presenting our opinion and not attacking a person.

Disney just like any other company needs constructive criticism. They're not perfect in everyway... although we expect them to be... :)

Have a wonderful day!

I emailed DFTW yesterday about this and still have not heard anything. I think it is a real shame that people can not pick who takes pictures of thier most important day! This change does not effect me, but I am a lover of pictures and am mad for future Disney Brides. I was upset that I had such limited choice on the cruise....I hope I get a good photographer and that they take some good pictures. I am glad a few of my friends have good SLR cameras and will try to get lots of pictures too! I considered contacting an outside photographer to see if how much they would charge me to cruise with us....LOL....my DF blew that plan right out of my head! SO my fingers are crossed! I hope Disney reconsiders and allows "Approved Photographers" to still take the beautiful wedding pictures they are known to take!

I really love most of you ladies.. hence my post to begin with!! This post is for people who actually care about outside photographer.. hence the name ofthe post. If it doesn't concern you then don't read it. end of story.

Nola don't you have to get back to your job.. at disney??

wow i almost don't know what to say anymore. While i am DISAPPOINTED with the new rule and i really wanted Randy, before posting on the boards i assumed we would need to use Disney photography b/c it's Disney. What i was really surprised that we NEED to use is disney Floral? i still don't understand but whatever, that's another topic :laughing: So, my question now is in response to whoever commented on 'owning the rights to the pictures'... if we use disney photography we don't get to 'own the rights to our pictures'? Everytime we want a copy of a pic we would need to go through Disney? I'm really confused on this policy.... we'd probably go with the 8 hour package if that helps you to explain to me a little better... it is important to me that my family get pictures they want. if i purchase a picture and then scan it into my computer is that illegal? i'm so lost... :confused3

So, my question now is in response to whoever commented on 'owning the rights to the pictures'... if we use disney photography we don't get to 'own the rights to our pictures'? Everytime we want a copy of a pic we would need to go through Disney? I'm really confused on this policy.... we'd probably go with the 8 hour package if that helps you to explain to me a little better... it is important to me that my family get pictures they want. if i purchase a picture and then scan it into my computer is that illegal? i'm so lost... :confused3

I'm pretty sure you can purchase a CD and the rights to your images at some point after your wedding for an additional $1000. I think you can be sued, if you don't purchase this. Not 100% sure how that works though. :confused3

The CD and complete rights to your images are already included in most of Randy, Misty and The Roots' packages and their packages are a fraction of Disney's cost. That's just part of why so many of us chose to hire one of those three.

If you are an Escape Bride, this may not be a cost effective solution because DPS is already included in the wedding total. But for Wishes weddings it can be more cost effective.

Hope,

I was just pointing out that for some it is less expensive to use DPS, for example ALL Escape brides, which I am one of. Also, and correct me if I am wrong, but dosen't DPS count towards your minimum if you are a Wishes bride? If so, if you absolutly HAVE to stick to the minimum, then it is cheaper, in a way. You may be getting less for more money, but it is counting towards your minimum, where outside vendors do not. If you used DPS, you could have 10K minimum (hard to do but possible). If you use outside photogs, you still have to meet the 10K minimum then hire photogs on top of that 10K.

I was just saying that, for some people who do not hold pictures as a high priority and/or who absolutly must adhere to the minimum DPS is a valid option.

ETA: This sounds argumentative and I don't mean it that way at all, just trying to clarify my POV. Maybe a smile will help :goodvibes

BTW, All of you ladies who used outside photography: I think your photos were really lovely and well worth the money that spent. Also, I think that it is very sad that Disney will not allow outside vendors to photograph in the parks after these changes take place.

Hey Ladies!

Thank you all for reminding me why i never post and never should have not posted to begin with. I guess my clarity and perspective fell on deaf ears. Every time anyone has anything half decent to contibute, people who have had their weddings 12 years ago jump down your throat with a battery of poor and outdated information.

There are thousands of people who can't afford A wedding - much less a 15 to 25K wedding at Disney. Some people have nothing and need help from others - contributions of time, love, enrgy and hope.

If each one of you who sits on your computer - each and every day - year after year - talking about bouquets and how crappy disney is - could you imagine how great this world would be if you devoted that time to volunteering, donting to charity, planting a tree, teaching, reading, learning and so on. I'm just putting it out there..Everyone else is very free with their opinions...so i'm finally getting brave and putting mine out there, too.

I'm not trying to take your experience away from you - we all deserve to be a princess once in our lifetime. it's just that some of you really need a reality check and dose of real life. If you can't afford it, move on and stop whining about it.

Like i said before...there are some people who have nothing. It has been over three years since Hurrican Katrina and our own country is still suffering. So it's hard to sympathize with oh poor us we can't use Randy when people that we live and breathe with and work with are right beside us who need help.

This will be the last time i post or read this board. The bad ju ju that eminates from this board is contagious.

In the words of Charles Dickins "No one is useless who helps another".

Signing off..

SWEET NOLA
Sweet New Orelans Honey

Blah blah...I don't think calling someone "preggers" is being positive and constructive.

Also, I don't think anyone has pulled your arm to look at our "pink and green Mickey jewel encrusted, bobble head-viel-trinket choctchki".

I really love most of you ladies.. hence my post to begin with!! This post is for people who actually care about outside photographer.. hence the name ofthe post. If it doesn't concern you then don't read it. end of story.

Nola don't you have to get back to your job.. at disney??

AMEN SISTER!

Or, don't look on these boards! I'm not a fan of lace or pink, but some brides love 'em, and they look gorgeous in their lacy dresses holding pink flowers. And I'm sure that an orange and lime green affair isn't for everyone, but those are our colors. So if your dream is to have the largest collection of pink and green Mickey jewel encrusted, bobble head-veil-trinket choctchkis ever, more power to you. Most of us post on here because it gives us an opportunity to organize our thoughts and get some great ideas. I would never have thought to move some food up to the pre-reception had it not been for Carrie, or to use Misty Miotto had it not been for ecoon. And how can I we even begin to think about Vanessa or Caryn's crafts? Let's leave out the ad hominem attacks, please. Being pregnant has nothing to do with one's opinion on DPS and Disney policy changes.

:rotfl2:

Or, don't look on these boards! I'm not a fan of lace or pink, but some brides love 'em, and they look gorgeous in their lacy dresses holding pink flowers. And I'm sure that an orange and lime green affair isn't for everyone, but those are our colors. So if your dream is to have the largest collection of pink and green Mickey jewel encrusted, bobble head-veil-trinket choctchkis ever, more power to you. Most of us post on here because it gives us an opportunity to organize our thoughts and get some great ideas. I would never have thought to move some food up to the pre-reception had it not been for Carrie, or to use Misty Miotto had it not been for ecoon. And how can I we even begin to think about Vanessa or Caryn's crafts? Let's leave out the ad hominem attacks, please. Being pregnant has nothing to do with one's opinion on DPS and Disney policy changes.

HAHAHA You caught that before I edited my post!! I thought about it after and didn't think it was wise to keep on here. I don't want to have drama start all over again. :rotfl:

One thing and then I'm so dooooone! Talk about "blanketing"... you say we make blanket statements about DPS and how awful they are... how about you assuming that we just sit at our computers all day and do nothing but talk Disney. And please, don't even talk to me about volunteering... volunteering is my job. I work for a non-profit. My kids and DF and I go out once a month and do beach clean up and the human society. PLUS my future husband left his high paying job for 6 months to go to NOLA and help rebuild communities, so let me just say... don't make "blanket" comments about us either!

I'm done! :rotfl: I usually don't drop down to that level, but damn that felt good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter