"Grr...No Outside Photographers For Park Weddings!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normal I just kinda read the fun and great stories on here but I felt like I needed to say something on this thread. I use to work for Disney many years ago when I was on the college program and a little longer after. It was the only place I ever thought of having my wedding. I did look at other locations here on the West Coast before I picked Disney to host my event (just to humor the parents) :rotfl: . And yes in the real world sometimes in order to use those facilities you had to use their vendors and and or services.

In all honestly yes I am sure things are going to change at Disney and will keep changing. It's just the way the business world is. They have a serious brand to protect as well and it looks like per a few posts up here that they were not complient with the company's policy on this. One big change that happend at the Disney Company last year was that cast members can now receive tips! Yes! TIPS!!! I remember back when you were never allowed to recieve a tip from the guest. It's any denomination and there is no cap of how much they can receive but they do have to report it for taxes at end of the year. They even decreased their salaries since they are now allowed to recieve tips. The only reason that I know this is because many of my friends still work for the company and told me about the coast to coast meeting they had about it. And my jaw about dropped when they told me. So you know just from that things change.

So it is what it is.. If you really want those photographers then it's the old saying ;"you have to give up something for something". Yeah it may suck not having your wedding at the location you want but then don't have your wedding at Disney if you feel so strongly about it. We should stop kicking a dead horse and talk about fun things again. Like how crazy our families and friends are making us :lmao:

Anyway that is it. No I am not a Disney Cast Member.. I used to be and I really have great memories of being there. I just really hate to hear people talk bad about the company I used to work for. Maybe if I ever leave the West Coast I will go back to working for the Mouse and get some tips now.. LOL

PS~ I love all the stories on here and everyone is so great! So please don't hate me for just typing my thoughts...

I still think DPS sucks :snooty:
Everything on this board can't always be rainbows and sunshine

Hey Girls!

I've always lurked and tonight i decided to sign up and post. :banana: As a long time Disney-ite, I just wanted to throw my two cents in on this one.

The purpose of this board is about sharing info to help each other - not to bring anyone down. You are right, it's not all about Rainbows and Unicorns...but it is about helping each other out. :goodvibes
There are lots of brides who did and are about to use, Disney Event Group Photography. Let's just be respectful of those who made this decision.

Being upset with a policy and dogging DPS, are two separate issues and we should keep those two matters separate for the sake of our fellow bride who had decided to use DPS.

The Fact of the matter is simple - Disney's Policy has always been to not allow outside vendors in the park. ( if you recall - floral hasn't been allowed in the theme park for years ). DFTW let bride's slide for quite sometime and the finally have to align with the rest of the company. It's not a new policy - they are now being forced to comply. (who knows why...maybe it's because vendors weren't playing by the rules....i guess we'll never know.:confused3 ) Way back when, Disney began to include photo in the Intimate package - and last time i checked, the world is still rotating. Guys - all I'm saying is that everything is going to be fine and we've got bigger fish to fry!

OK - All I know is that everyone on this board is very concerned with keeping budgets low - so the answer is simple - get out of the theme parks and let's start looking at a resort for your reception. This way you can have your Randy Cake and eat it too!

A theme park forces you to pay venue fees, set up fees, viewing fees, mandatory transportation and higher bar prices (if you are doing a package in two separate locations). A resort mandates none of the above and you can still have Randy.

I hope I can contribute to a solution or a resolution here...i'm not trying to upset anyone or come across as :snooty: - i'm just trying to bring some perspective to the table.
:hug:

NOLA Honey

Disney Photography Package Info from my DFTW electronic followup kit (prices good through Dec. 31, 2008):

Enchanted Rose - $5,225
10 hours of wedding coverage
4x6-inch prints
10 Disney-themed folios with two 5x7-inch prints apiece
a standard-resolution CD of images (72 dpi, 450 pixels by 300 pixels; Snapfish/Shutterfly minimum resolution for a 4x6 print = 400x600 pixels )

Choice of 50-print Digital Montage Album, 50-print Artist Commissioned Album or the Signature Album, which includes a $1,500 credit for prints to put in the album. (album descriptions below)

Two Family Albums—either the Traditional Album, with 24 4x6-inch prints, or the Artist Commissioned Album, with 20 prints.

Magic Kingdom Portrait Session, with one 20x24-inch portrait and 12 4x5-inch prints in a folio.

Dreams - $3,650
8 hours of coverage
4x6-inch prints
a standard-resolution disc of images
one Traditional Family Album of 24 4x6-inch prints

Your choice of either the Signature Album and a $1,250 credit toward prints or the 50-print Artist Commissioned album

Romance - $2,800
6 hours of coverage
4x6-inch prints
Signature Album with a $750 credit toward the purchase of prints

I have heard there is a bare-bones 3-hour package for $1,700 (no additional hours can be added), with 4x6 keepsake prints and 24 8x10 photos of your choice in a white.

All photo packages include a proof book with thumbnail versions of the images, and your photos are posted on a password-protected website two weeks after the event.

Print Prices
4x5 $12
4x6 $13
5x7 $20
8x10 $30
11x14 $55
16x20 $85
20x24 $115
30x40 $250
8 wallets $15
16 wallets* $24
24 wallets* $31
* same image

Signature Album
10x10-inch leather, library-bound album
Depending on the photography package you choose, you will have a certain amount of credit toward the cost of prints to put in the album. The package includes a two-hour session with an Album Designer who works with you to select and lay out the images. Additional hours cost $75.

Digital Montage Album
11x14-inch
50 prints with a modern photo finish and a two-hour session with an Album Designer. You select the images, and the Album Designer determines their layout.

Artist Commissioned album
12x12-inch
50 prints with custom mats and frames. Because the design and layout are determined by the Album Artist, no meeting is included in the package.

Disney Photography Package Info from my DFTW electronic followup kit (prices good through Dec. 31, 2008):

Enchanted Rose - $5,225
10 hours of wedding coverage
4x6-inch prints
10 Disney-themed folios with two 5x7-inch prints apiece
a standard-resolution CD of images (72 dpi, 450 pixels by 300 pixels; Snapfish/Shutterfly minimum resolution for a 4x6 print = 400x600 pixels )

Choice of 50-print Digital Montage Album, 50-print Artist Commissioned Album or the Signature Album, which includes a $1,500 credit for prints to put in the album. (album descriptions below)

Two Family Albums—either the Traditional Album, with 24 4x6-inch prints, or the Artist Commissioned Album, with 20 prints.

Magic Kingdom Portrait Session, with one 20x24-inch portrait and 12 4x5-inch prints in a folio.

Dreams - $3,650
8 hours of coverage
4x6-inch prints
a standard-resolution disc of images
one Traditional Family Album of 24 4x6-inch prints

Your choice of either the Signature Album and a $1,250 credit toward prints or the 50-print Artist Commissioned album

Romance - $2,800
6 hours of coverage
4x6-inch prints
Signature Album with a $750 credit toward the purchase of prints

I have heard there is a bare-bones 3-hour package for $1,700 (no additional hours can be added), with 4x6 keepsake prints and 24 8x10 photos of your choice in a white.

All photo packages include a proof book with thumbnail versions of the images, and your photos are posted on a password-protected website two weeks after the event.

Print Prices
4x5 $12
4x6 $13
5x7 $20
8x10 $30
11x14 $55
16x20 $85
20x24 $115
30x40 $250
8 wallets $15
16 wallets* $24
24 wallets* $31
* same image

Signature Album
10x10-inch leather, library-bound album
Depending on the photography package you choose, you will have a certain amount of credit toward the cost of prints to put in the album. The package includes a two-hour session with an Album Designer who works with you to select and lay out the images. Additional hours cost $75.

Digital Montage Album
11x14-inch
50 prints with a modern photo finish and a two-hour session with an Album Designer. You select the images, and the Album Designer determines their layout.

Artist Commissioned album
12x12-inch
50 prints with custom mats and frames. Because the design and layout are determined by the Album Artist, no meeting is included in the package.

Thank you for posting this Carrie.

I agree with Sweet NOLA, this is not the end of the world. However, it is sad.

Highwaygal, I am honestly not sure how much pricing has changed since your wedding, but there was NO way I could have afforded Disney's photographers even if I wanted to...

I had Misty Miotto's Silver Package... and paid $1497...
It includes...
- 6 hours of coverage (with her husband Nelio assisting)
- (300) 4x6's - photojournalistic color and black and white prints
- Proof Album
- Up to 900 images on High -res CD (with complete rights to images)
- (3) 8x10 prints
- (10) 5x7 prints
- (3) 8x10 Artistic Black & White Prints with color enhancement
- (60) Image Slideshow with Music and choice of images
- 30 day online gallery

She also has cheaper packages

Forget a the quality of photos. Disney's Romance Package would have been the closest to what I got from Misty and I would have had to pay Disney close to DOUBLE what I paid ($1300 MORE) and I would have gotten a fraction of what Misty provides.

I seriously couldn't even afford Disney Photography's bare bones package at $1700!

This is why it is sad! And yes, people can choose to have their weddings at the Resorts, but it probably won't be too long before they decide to keep outside vendors out of the resort weddings at well.

Nikki

Hey Girls!

I've always lurked and tonight i decided to sign up and post. :banana: As a long time Disney-ite, I just wanted to throw my two cents in on this one.

The purpose of this board is about sharing info to help each other - not to bring anyone down. You are right, it's not all about Rainbows and Unicorns...but it is about helping each other out. :goodvibes
There are lots of brides who did and are about to use, Disney Event Group Photography. Let's just be respectful of those who made this decision.

Being upset with a policy and dogging DPS, are two separate issues and we should keep those two matters separate for the sake of our fellow bride who had decided to use DPS.

The Fact of the matter is simple - Disney's Policy has always been to not allow outside vendors in the park. ( if you recall - floral hasn't been allowed in the theme park for years ). DFTW let bride's slide for quite sometime and the finally have to align with the rest of the company. It's not a new policy - they are now being forced to comply. (who knows why...maybe it's because vendors weren't playing by the rules....i guess we'll never know.:confused3 ) Way back when, Disney began to include photo in the Intimate package - and last time i checked, the world is still rotating. Guys - all I'm saying is that everything is going to be fine and we've got bigger fish to fry!

OK - All I know is that everyone on this board is very concerned with keeping budgets low - so the answer is simple - get out of the theme parks and let's start looking at a resort for your reception. This way you can have your Randy Cake and eat it too!

A theme park forces you to pay venue fees, set up fees, viewing fees, mandatory transportation and higher bar prices (if you are doing a package in two separate locations). A resort mandates none of the above and you can still have Randy.

I hope I can contribute to a solution or a resolution here...i'm not trying to upset anyone or come across as :snooty: - i'm just trying to bring some perspective to the table.

NOLA Honey

Thanks NOLA Honey :banana:

I haven't said anything on this thread because this change doesn't effect me. Disney Photography did my wedding photos and I was extremely happy with them.

But I did want to clear up what appears to be some misconceptions. You can view samples of Disney photography online at

http://www.collages.net/disneyweddings/

User Name: Disney Photography Samples

Password: 1971

Further, while Disney will not guarantee a particular photographer, you can still treat them as you would any other professional. Tell them the "style" you desire for your pictures, show them examples of shots you like, make a list of shots you "must have", "would like to have", "defiinitely don't want", and then follow through by ensuring your preferences are noted on the BEO/contract document that you receive from Disney.

In addition, TALK to your coordinator(s) and ask about PRE-purchasing options (like the CD/DVD, proofs, prints, etc). This can save some money, it probably saved me about $200 on my proofs.

I also think it's a misconception that "most" brides use outside photographers. With Disney doing well over 2000 weddings a year, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of brides use Disney for all wedding related expenses.

And finally, Disney Photographers ARE professionals (at least one of the board favorites used to work for Disney). I've seen many "negative reviews" from people who have never used Disney services.

sorry to tell ya.. but you didnt make a good argument for disney... if anything it sounds like you either a) work for disney or b) have worked for disney. Noone has to use disney services themselves to see they are poor photgraphers... christ there website pics to show off the park stink..

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority that use disney photo are dissapointed almost everytime. Unless they don't know a thing about photography.

Weddings pictures aren't just a suck it up and deal kinda thing. And despite being able to look at portfolios.. I still can't pick what photgrapher I would want from them.

Idk who said it earlier but they were spot on... disney travelers can take any pictures they want.. meaning those pictures can be posted wherever they want.. disney has no control over how disney looks in those pics... so not allowing you pick a wedding photographer of your choice is just another way to take our money.. some fairytale???

omg really?? I o love this board, but it is not always rainbows and sunshine as a previous poter said. This board is made to inform people of disney things they would not otherwise know. So please don't tell me not to post something that may be very seriosu to someone else as it is to me. The photo thing in many cases is a make or break thing for many disney brides.. and even if it is only for 10% then that 10% deserve to know what's going on. So please go troll around some other topics that are bad mouthing your precious disney and play their situations down, cause I don't appreciate it in here.This Board is to help everyone, the good and the bad!:sad2:

IDK,

In some ways I tend to agree with what others have said. Though I appreciate the info, it is often (not always) coming from sources who haven't used DPS for their wedding. People insist that you must switch or your pictures will be horrid. There are some on here who have used DPS and been satisfied, and some that haven't. This is the same with anything.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely see the advantages to using outside photography over DPS, but there are some advantages to using DPS as well, such as, very importantly to some, cost.

We can well afford the outside photographer, but I think we are going to skip it. It is a lot of extra money, and difficult for me to justify. For others, the thought process is different.

I guess what I am saying is yes, the uncertainty bothers me but that dosen't necessarily make it a bad choice, it is just aligning our priorities. Just because it is not a choice that you would make does not mean it is a bad choice. :flower3:

Thank you for posting this Carrie.

I agree with Sweet NOLA, this is not the end of the world. However, it is sad.

Highwaygal, I am honestly not sure how much pricing has changed since your wedding, but there was NO way I could have afforded Disney's photographers even if I wanted to...

I had Misty Miotto's Silver Package... and paid $1497...
It includes...
- 6 hours of coverage (with her husband Nelio assisting)
- (300) 4x6's - photojournalistic color and black and white prints
- Proof Album
- Up to 900 images on High -res CD (with complete rights to images)
- (3) 8x10 prints
- (10) 5x7 prints
- (3) 8x10 Artistic Black & White Prints with color enhancement
- (60) Image Slideshow with Music and choice of images
- 30 day online gallery

She also has cheaper packages

Forget a the quality of photos. Disney's Romance Package would have been the closest to what I got from Misty and I would have had to pay Disney close to DOUBLE what I paid ($1300 MORE) and I would have gotten a fraction of what Misty provides.

I seriously couldn't even afford Disney Photography's bare bones package at $1700!

This is why it is sad! And yes, people can choose to have their weddings at the Resorts, but it probably won't be too long before they decide to keep outside vendors out of the resort weddings at well.

Nikki

I guess I assumed an outside photographer was going to be MORE than a disney one. :sad2: Now, I after seeing HD photos and video from other brides, I really want to go with an outside vendor.

pirate: Is there a photographer you would recommend that takes great HD at an affordable price? We're doing SBP, so I'm not worried about the new "rule."

One big change that happend at the Disney Company last year was that cast members can now receive tips! Yes! TIPS!!! I remember back when you were never allowed to recieve a tip from the guest. It's any denomination and there is no cap of how much they can receive but they do have to report it for taxes at end of the year. They even decreased their salaries since they are now allowed to recieve tips. The only reason that I know this is because many of my friends still work for the company and told me about the coast to coast meeting they had about it. And my jaw about dropped when they told me. So you know just from that things change.

Just curious as to who I would tip at Disney besides already tipped positions? If their salaries were decreased they really got screwed.

when i got married in 1997 thru dftw i went with an outside vendor(dftw provided me with a list) because disney was WAY to expensive & didnt allow me rights to the negatives, etc

i cant recall if DPS was even good back then or if they even offered the in park shoots

but i do remember thinking that they really didnt offer anything competative for the price compared to the outside vendors...so we gave our business to someone outside disney

i think they REALLY need to rethink DPS...it could REALLY be big if they tweaked out some of these kinks

do you know that in December we went back for our 10yr & used DPS for a family portrait & we waited for DPS in the lobby of the Yacht club & the photographer was running late....we had NO info to contact him & when i asked at the Yacht Club check in desk they were all like "Disney has a photography service"????
nice huh!!?!?!
our pictures werent bad, but i was kinda surprised that they didnt really guide us...I had to give ideas of what to do???
anyway...just thought some of you might find this interesting!

I was going to get Disney's Enchanted Rose Package until I saw Misty's work I am getting her biggest package which is the platinum package.

This is what you get...

-Unlimited hours of wedding photography, including an Second Camera photographer that
captures those moments happening off camera that Misty is unable to get while concentrating on
the bride and groom
-Full professional location lighting setup
-We provide full studio quality lighting for formal portraiture, bridal photography
-Capturing as many as 1500 original images (all images provided on high resolution cd)
-2 Proof Albums including up to 250 of your favorite color or black and white images in each album
(500) total. This provides you with enough images to create parent albums for both sets of parents
-All images scanned to Compact Discs (CD's) in hi-resolution with full rights assigned(this is the
same as getting the negatives)
-(1) 11"x14" Timeless Framed and Matted Portrait
-(5) 8"x10" images
-(10) 5"x7" images
-(5) 8"x10" Artistic Black and White images with color enhancement
-Reproduction Rights are assigned to you allowing you to make your own reprints and
enlargements.
-Personnel wedding preview website with name and password that will be available for you and
friends to view up to
days after your wedding.
--New! A customized
image slideshow combined with music, special effects and your favorite
images. You pick the pictures that will be included and you decide on the sequence of the images

MISTY'S PACKAGE IS.....$2,497.00....UNLIMITED!!!
DISNEY'S PACKAGE IS....$5,225.00....FOR TEN HOURS!!

HMMM.......

MISTY'S PACKAGE IS.....$2,497.00....UNLIMITED!!!
DISNEY'S PACKAGE IS....$5,225.00....FOR TEN HOURS!!

HMMM.......

That is insane! Disney is so expensive!! Misty is wonderful.

I have to admit that I paid more than Disney's highest package for our photographer but what I get is still way more and every single one of my photos will be touched up for lighting etc.

I think this comes down to cost/value than the actual talent of the photographers (although that is an issue as well)

Normal I just kinda read the fun and great stories on here but I felt like I needed to say something on this thread. I use to work for Disney many years ago when I was on the college program and a little longer after. It was the only place I ever thought of having my wedding. I did look at other locations here on the West Coast before I picked Disney to host my event (just to humor the parents) :rotfl: . And yes in the real world sometimes in order to use those facilities you had to use their vendors and and or services.

In all honestly yes I am sure things are going to change at Disney and will keep changing. It's just the way the business world is. They have a serious brand to protect as well and it looks like per a few posts up here that they were not complient with the company's policy on this. One big change that happend at the Disney Company last year was that cast members can now receive tips! Yes! TIPS!!! I remember back when you were never allowed to recieve a tip from the guest. It's any denomination and there is no cap of how much they can receive but they do have to report it for taxes at end of the year. They even decreased their salaries since they are now allowed to recieve tips. The only reason that I know this is because many of my friends still work for the company and told me about the coast to coast meeting they had about it. And my jaw about dropped when they told me. So you know just from that things change.

So it is what it is.. If you really want those photographers then it's the old saying ;"you have to give up something for something". Yeah it may suck not having your wedding at the location you want but then don't have your wedding at Disney if you feel so strongly about it. We should stop kicking a dead horse and talk about fun things again. Like how crazy our families and friends are making us :lmao:

Anyway that is it. No I am not a Disney Cast Member.. I used to be and I really have great memories of being there. I just really hate to hear people talk bad about the company I used to work for. Maybe if I ever leave the West Coast I will go back to working for the Mouse and get some tips now.. LOL

PS~ I love all the stories on here and everyone is so great! So please don't hate me for just typing my thoughts...

Hey Girls!

NOLA Honey

Thank you for posting that. :yay:

Thanks NOLA Honey :banana:

Wow...could this be the same person ladies?? :rolleyes1

:rotfl: Good call!!...

I do agree that I think it comes down to the cost more so than the talent of the photographers although it does help if they are talented...which some are.

It's true, to get anything near what you can get from an outside vendor for $2000 you have to pay DPS $6000. Then after you shell out your $6000 you have to pray that you don't get inferior quality photos on the biggest day of your life.

IDK,

Don't get me wrong, I definitely see the advantages to using outside photography over DPS, but there are some advantages to using DPS as well, such as, very importantly to some, cost. :flower3:

To be honest Irisbud, with the VERY limited budget I had for 40 guests, if I had chosen the 6 hour Disney package I would have had to cut out the Dessert Party and we couldn't have had dinner. And Brunch would have barely been in the budget.

Disney's 6 hour package would have been 17.5 % of my total $16,000 budget, while Misty's 6 hour package ended up being 9.5% of my budget!

So I'm not really sure how Disney's package can possibly be more cost effective for a Wishes Wedding. Of course it is for an Escape Wedding.

I guess I assumed an outside photographer was going to be MORE than a disney one. :sad2: Now, I after seeing HD photos and video from other brides, I really want to go with an outside vendor.

pirate: Is there a photographer you would recommend that takes great HD at an affordable price? We're doing SBP, so I'm not worried about the new "rule."

I used and highly recommend Misty Miotto http://www.mistymiotto.com/

She has packages that range from $750 to $2500 for the package Toni described.

I haven't used Rootography or Randy Chapman, but based on the pictures I have seen and their prices they would have been my second and third choices. AND if I had been forced to use a Disney photographer, I would have gotten married elsewhere.

That is insane! Disney is so expensive!! Misty is wonderful.

I have to admit that I paid more than Disney's highest package for our photographer but what I get is still way more and every single one of my photos will be touched up for lighting etc.

I think this comes down to cost/value than the actual talent of the photographers (although that is an issue as well)

Misty is touching up my photos for lighting, etc, too.

I agree with you. The issue is cost/value. It is simply not cost effective to go through Disney.

To those who have a problem with this thread... I completely disagree with you. It is incredibly important as it can help future disbrides make informed decisions. I don't understand why some of you would want to stifle the opinions being posted here. When people say that they do not like Disney's Photography Services, it is a VALID subjective criticism. Photography is art and it useful AND constructive to have these sorts of discussions.

NONE of the comments here are intended to attack any bride personally.

Thank you for initiating this thread Inkedupmomma!

Nikki

It's true, to get anything near what you can get from an outside vendor for $2000 you have to pay DPS $6000. Then after you shell out your $6000 you have to pray that you don't get inferior quality photos on the biggest day of your life.

I couldn't agree more! Disney wants brides to gamble with THOUSANDS of dollars on a day that only happens once.

Non-Disney brides get to interview and select their photographers, based on price AND talent.

I also think that we would be having a different discussion if the Disney Photographers consistently provided high quality photos and services.

I can't find the thread right now, but I remember a bride who posted on the boards a few months ago whose Disney Photographer just completely DID NOT show up to her wedding. And luckily she had hired an outside videographer who was able to create still photos from her video. I think that was the situation.

I can't find the thread right now, but I remember a bride who posted on the boards a few months ago whose Disney Photographer just completely DID NOT show up to her wedding. And luckily she had hired an outside videographer who was able to create still photos from her video. I think that was the situation.

actually, it was the opposite. the disney videographer didnt show up, but she hired Randy to take pics. disneys guy never shows up...randy put together a video of her pics for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter