Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
So y'all are saying you'd rather have NO ride, NO chance to ride, vs their opening it when it's not at 100%?
I'm baffled by that. I'd rather have some chance to ride than have them keep it closed to guests till something is 100% functional.
I'm sure they've got a target percentage and if that's reached, where it operates, oh, 80% of the time, then it's good. And no, of course I don't know what their threshold is. I'm just sticking a number in there for illustration purposes.
Frankly that's good enough for me too. At least I have a chance to ride. If they kept it closed, I wouldn't even have a chance.
But hey, y'all are free to just not go and try to ride till it meets your 100% of operation standard. Right?
Would you be okay going to a restaurant and only getting part of your meal since the new trainee doesn't know how to make part of it?

Also, an 80 is barely a B, and while I teach and the district I work with has watered down what passing is, I frankly have higher standards than that.

Would you be okay going to a restaurant and only getting part of your meal since the new trainee doesn't know how to make part of it?

Also, an 80 is barely a B, and while I teach and the district I work with has watered down what passing is, I frankly have higher standards than that.
Sure, if I knew before hand. I have as a matter of fact.
But like I said, no one is forcing anyone to ride the ride. Don't like that they opened it before it's fully 100%, don't ride. Simple enough, no?
Wait a while, it will reach 100%
And you are way harsh. TT closes for rain as much as anything else. You want Disney to control rain now? I'm sure that is not the case.

And heavens I said point blank that the 80 was just a figure I stuck in there. By no means am I even suggesting that is what they use. I thought I made that clear.

I suppose I wasn't apologizing for the fact that I believe it is irresponsible, so much as apologizing because I know it could come out as over-confrontational. And I believe @rteetz sort of absolved them in his next post claiming there was "intensive testing". Frankly, intensive testing would mean they wouldn't be opening these rides as Beta tests, which is what is happening.

I follow the Rise Boarding Group thread and last week was pretty crappy. There has to be better ways to have opened the ride, calling all of this a soft-opening, which would have stopped them from giving away so much freebies in terms of guest-recovery. There could've been AP and other previews that would've tested the rides seriously. If this ride is going to continuously break-down it'll be worse than Test Track, which frankly, I've stopped getting FPs for due to that issue.

I guess I view it as guests are now effectively paying for technical rehearsals. For MMRR, I'd love to be proven wrong.

I guess I view it as guests are now effectively paying for technical rehearsals. For MMRR, I'd love to be proven wrong.
Paying how? Did you have to buy a BG or something? If you mean the ride is only partly open well, ok. If that is the only ride running at the park sure, you are paying for a rehearsal. But I'm pretty sure you have a lot of other rides to go on. Skip that ride till it's fully open, if that makes you happy. Or even better, don't go to the Disney will they reach what you feel is a fully operational ride.

But like I said, no one is forcing anyone to ride the ride. Don't like that they opened it before it's fully 100%, don't ride. Simple enough, no?

But how would you know it's not at 100% or even 80% before paying and commiting?

I suppose I wasn't apologizing for the fact that I believe it is irresponsible, so much as apologizing because I know it could come out as over-confrontational. And I believe @rteetz sort of absolved them in his next post claiming there was "intensive testing". Frankly, intensive testing would mean they wouldn't be opening these rides as Beta tests, which is what is happening.

I follow the Rise Boarding Group thread and last week was pretty crappy. There has to be better ways to have opened the ride, calling all of this a soft-opening, which would have stopped them from giving away so much freebies in terms of guest-recovery. There could've been AP and other previews that would've tested the rides seriously. If this ride is going to continuously break-down it'll be worse than Test Track, which frankly, I've stopped getting FPs for due to that issue.
I suggest some research on the inner workings of Rise of the Resistance. There are four ride systems at play here. If one has an issue the whole ride can not operate properly. No other Disney attraction or frankly any attraction anywhere is like that. It’s unfortunate that is happens so often but it’s not beta testing. No ride these days opens perfectly and at full capacity. You need the influx of guests to work our those kinks. Using CM tests only does so much. If you think Disney didn’t properly test this attraction you’re just flat out wrong. I’m sorry if that comes across rude but they 100% certainly tested this attraction before opening. If they didn’t they could have catastrophic failures that could get someone killed.

So how does a guest become preemptive enough to know there is no downtime when they plan to visit?
I’m not sure there is ever an attraction anywhere where you can guarantee no downtime. Even the oldest and most proven attractions will experience downtime. No ride can operate 24/7 without maintenance and repair and even then issues still occur.

Wait a while, it will reach 100%
And you are way harsh. TT closes for rain as much as anything else. You want Disney to control rain now? I'm sure that is not the case.

And heavens I said point blank that the 80 was just a figure I stuck in there. By no means am I even suggesting that is what they use. I thought I made that clear.
I know I am a bit harsh about TT, but I also am only able to go in the summer, so oftentimes, that rain closes TT. I don't expect them to close it, that is more of a frsutration, but also why I don't bother with a FP+ for it.

Me too. I'm not sure why people are defending them for opening a ride that's not ready.

I’m not sure there is ever an attraction anywhere where you can guarantee no downtime. Even the oldest and most proven attractions will experience downtime. No ride can operate 24/7 without maintenance and repair and even then issues still occur.

Agreed. I know my expectations differ from reality. But, the development team should strive and design for as close to 100% as possible. It's frustrating not knowing the day(s) of your visit if these latest attractions will be online and you paid a premium for the chance.

I suggest some research on the inner workings of Rise of the Resistance. There are four ride systems at play here. If one has an issue the whole ride can not operate properly. No other Disney attraction or frankly any attraction anywhere is like that. It’s unfortunate that is happens so often but it’s not beta testing. No ride these days opens perfectly and at full capacity. You need the influx of guests to work our those kinks. Using CM tests only does so much. If you think Disney didn’t properly test this attraction you’re just flat out wrong. I’m sorry if that comes across rude but they 100% certainly tested this attraction before opening. If they didn’t they could have catastrophic failures that could get someone killed.
I think this is what must go over the head of some. The way to test rides at a certain point is to put people in them over and over again, all day long, day in and day out. Running empty doesn't do that. There aren't enough CM to do this. Even running tests for AP can only do so much (and no, they didn't do that for Rise but would it have really made that much of a difference, no). You need the volume of a days worth of park guests, over and over again. This means live testing with live guests. I just can't figure out why that is such an issue. You'd think people were having possessions taken away by Disney the way it's upsetting them. This a few rides that may go down while they are there and they can't ride. Last time I checked there are tons of other rides to ride. 2, 3 is not even a full percentage

Just rough math but...I think there are about a few hundred thousand guests, give or take... that think they opened it just fine..

Why? Punishing guests who can't hop or have only 1 park 1 day tickets?
Not allowing joining both is different than only allowing 1 Tier 1 FP in advance. Because the guest can always ride the other rides stand by.
That's not the case with BG rides. You HAVE to get a group to ride
So they should not punish a guest who has just 1 day to go to HS
Same reason the tier FP rides -- to spread out the crowds. And besides .. by the time you get one, the other may be full anyway.

I just hope they just open this attraction like MFSR --all standby .. just like the good ole days. :)

Same reason the tier FP rides -- to spread out the crowds. And besides .. by the time you get one, the other may be full anyway.

I just hope they just open this attraction like MFSR --all standby .. just like the good ole days. :)
As I said, that's not the same at all.
With Tiered rides you can still opt to ride them. You stand in the stand by line.
With BG, that option is not there.
So no, not same reason at all. That's elephants to apple comparison. In other words, it's not.

I'm not saying you COULD get a BG for both. Only that I am not expecting them to remove all possibility. And heck, I don't know a thing. Only supposing, like I assume everyone else is.

Only saying, you can not compare this to a Tiered ride because with a BG, there's no stand by to use too.

Having done both, stand by only with MFSR and BG only with RotR I'm not 100% on which I prefer. They both worked fine in their own ways. I never prefer standing around in line so the BG option worked slightly better than over an hour in line.

Ryan, I know they tested, trust me, I know. I know no one is calling it "beta testing" other than me, but that is what is essentially happening. Even you are admitting that there are operational issues that in many other situations would mean that the technology/project is not ready to be rolled out.

I agree with much of what you state in terms of needing that influx of guests, I just believe there may be other ways to doing it other than a "full opening", where people are now coming, with expectations, and that Disney is knowingly not able to meet those expectations (and before we get into a discussion about people's expectations, I'm just talking about expecting a ride to function without such major issues as 2 hour delays, shut-downs, not opening at opening.)

As an engineer working in a reliability group, nothing is 100% reliable. And the more a ride (or anything else) pushes the envelope on technology, the more likely it is that the reliability isn’t going to be close to 100%. I waited in line longer than 2 hours for Hagrid’s while it was down but that doesn’t make me think they shouldn’t have opened the ride. I took my chances by riding early in its operating life. But I also wouldn’t plan a trip solely for one new ride so others might have a different perspective.
I want Disney and Universal to keep pushing the envelope and creating great new rides so I’m willing to be a little patient.

Ryan, I know they tested, trust me, I know. I know no one is calling it "beta testing" other than me, but that is what is essentially happening. Even you are admitting that there are operational issues that in many other situations would mean that the technology/project is not ready to be rolled out.

I agree with much of what you state in terms of needing that influx of guests, I just believe there may be other ways to doing it other than a "full opening", where people are now coming, with expectations, and that Disney is knowingly not able to meet those expectations (and before we get into a discussion about people's expectations, I'm just talking about expecting a ride to function without such major issues as 2 hour delays, shut-downs, not opening at opening.)
I don’t think I admitted what you said. I admitted there are issues which is fact but not enough to not roll out this project.

Disney is meeting the expectations. This is one of the best experiences people are having on their trips currently.

Anyway this is a discussion for the SWGE forum not this MMRR thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter