Grand Floridian for twice the cost?

Would you pay double the money to stay at the Grand Floridian over POR?

• Yes, I would pick the Grand Floridian

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • No, I would pick Port Orleans Riverside

Votes: 45 72.6%

• Total voters

TOBS2010

A dream is a wish your heart makes...
We are planning on doing WDW this summer with our two kids 5.5 and 2.5. We last were there when our oldest was 2.5 and stayed at POR. It was our first time staying at POR and we had a great time. The only hangup was in the afternoon at nap time and in the evening right before bedtime that it became slightly frustrating waiting for buses to get back to the hotel. Otherwise, we loved the pools and food court and overall the grounds at POR. We vowed that we would really consider staying at a monorail resort next time that we went back with two young kids. Now that we are looking at the prices, the cheapest hotel is the Grand Floridian----and that is literally twice the cost of staying back at POR. We know we will spend most of our time at MK but still plan on doing the other parks as well. I have heard that the monorail isn't as reliable as I remember it as a kid----so I am not really sure it is entirely worth it for the money. Thoughts? Anyone been in this position and regretted or been glad for their hotel choice?

I voted no strictly based on financials as we really like POR. However with that said if GF was on my radar and money wasn’t a consideration for my stay, I would choose the GF hands down. While the monorail doesn’t run like a subway, it’s fairly reliable and normally arrives faster than the buses from POR. However, if money is a factor and you’re hesitant to shell out the cash, I would think more about how your family will utilize the resort. Is that extra money for the deluxe really worth it to you?? The location is a big factor for sure.

I would not choose a hotel based on the monorail.

Nor would I spend most of my time at MK just because of little ones.

For all the money you would spend on GF, how about take a "Minnie van" back to POR when you need to get around quick? When you all are exhausted and the kids need to nap, just use the Lyft app, those Minnie vans have special access to the theme park pick up areas, they can get you where you need to go fast, and consider it to be a private limo that is available when you absolutely need one. Whatever you would have spent on GF, save it for a future trip. Port Orleans is a great resort too.

Is it worth it? Of course, otherwise you wouldn't be considering it. However many things are worth it that I can't afford. Your question is can you afford it? I don't know.

For all the money you would spend on GF, how about take a "Minnie van" back to POR when you need to get around quick? When you all are exhausted and the kids need to nap, just use the Lyft app, those Minnie vans have special access to the theme park pick up areas, they can get you where you need to go fast, and consider it to be a private limo that is available when you absolutely need one. Whatever you would have spent on GF, save it for a future trip. Port Orleans is a great resort too.

I second this comment-The minnie van is awesome, definitely more $ than uber but it's just as easy and convenient but even more so with the access Minnie Van has to the parks so you get primo location drop offs. Also for the kids, they come with two car seats in the back so that's a nice option too. And lastly, our Minnie van driver was so so sweet, they play disney music themed to where they pick you up and drop you off. I feel like it's less of a gamble on who you'll get as a driver since they are disney CM. Our driver was also really knowledgable about the parks and she had good info on construction and plans. I'd save the cash on GF for the Minnie Van to use on occasion as opposed to just the buses. I know we'll use it again for future trips.

I agree with others, without knowing your finances it's hard to say what you should do. My opinion would lean more towards GF, it sounds like you may only go every few years. If I went only every few years I'd want the best experience I could possibly afford. I will warn you, we stayed at POR our son's first visit. It was fine. Six months later we went back and stayed at Polynesian, we haven't stayed value or moderate since our first visit because for us it was too hard to go back to having a significantly smaller room. Either resort will offer an amazing trip for your family. The monorail is easier with small children, more so than the Minnie van ( my opinion). I love GF! I might also suggest, if you stay at POR you could go to Disney twice this year or back to back years for the same amount....twice the fun. Good luck

I just want to say I don't find your post idiotic. I enjoy reading and answering questions like this. I have not personally stayed at either resort you are looking at. I have stayed at the Poly and Contemporary, and the proximity to the monorail is great. (And I have never stayed at a moderate, but have decided to try one this summer!) It is less about wait or transportation time for me, though, and more about having what feels like a better transportation choice than the bus. Folding strollers and keeping a hand on kids on the bus is not my favorite thing. With that in mind, I would take a look at Wilderness lodge, Boardwalk, Yacht or Beach Club to see if you can find a deluxe at a better rate than GF. All of these resorts offer a boat, and the walk to 2 parks from the Boardwalk area is a great benefit. I am totally willing to take a bus to MK from there (never had problems with wait times.)

We are planning on doing WDW this summer with our two kids 5.5 and 2.5. We last were there when our oldest was 2.5 and stayed at POR. It was our first time staying at POR and we had a great time. The only hangup was in the afternoon at nap time and in the evening right before bedtime that it became slightly frustrating waiting for buses to get back to the hotel. Otherwise, we loved the pools and food court and overall the grounds at POR. We vowed that we would really consider staying at a monorail resort next time that we went back with two young kids. Now that we are looking at the prices, the cheapest hotel is the Grand Floridian----and that is literally twice the cost of staying back at POR. We know we will spend most of our time at MK but still plan on doing the other parks as well. I have heard that the monorail isn't as reliable as I remember it as a kid----so I am not really sure it is entirely worth it for the money. Thoughts? Anyone been in this position and regretted or been glad for their hotel choice?
Nope. POR is my favorite resort. Also, if I save half the cost of lodging every time I go, I can go more often.

The Grand Floridian is very nice but I just didn't love it when I stayed there. Was I glad I got the opportunity to do it? Yes, definitely. Would I book it for myself again? Not unless I got a great deal. It is such a personal thing as to what resort a family enjoys that it is hard to advise others.

I would also stay at POR and look to take the Minnie vans. Or rent a car, even with the parking fee (ugh) still would be cheaper and you have more flexibility.

Have you tried other sites like Orbitz? You might find cheaper deals for monorail resorts or the WL.

You could always look at and price out renting DVC points at GF. I love POR and would choose there for the price every time but if the monorail loop is something you are strongly considering renting DVC might be able to make that a possibility!

We stayed at GF for two weeks in Sept 2016. Any time we stayed for magic hours the monorail was not running and we had to take the boat shuttle. Our DS5 loved the boat but sometimes we waited over 30 mins for one. The monorail was great but remember GF to Mk is one stop. But on the way back at the end of the day you have to ride past the other 3 stops.

I have not stayed there but the Contemporary might be a good choice. If the monorail is down it is a 5 min walk to your hotel.

You could always look at and price out renting DVC points at GF. I love POR and would choose there for the price every time but if the monorail loop is something you are strongly considering renting DVC might be able to make that a possibility!
It is very likely too late for this summer. VGF is a very small resort and in high demand by owners

It is very likely too late for this summer. VGF is a very small resort and in high demand by owners

Oh that is a very good point, I think I glazed over the time of year being asked about! Thanks for pointing that out! That being said, I throw my hat in the POR group. I agree that the buses can be a pain in the rear sometimes but unless you are going to fully utilize being at a Deluxe resort, the extra money doesn't make sense.

It would still be worth a try. Summer is not high demand DVC time. Plus, they could look at Poly and BLT as options.

This! Quick and easy park exit. And if you are ever not very rushed you can the monorail to a hotel for a snack and take a car from there.

We haven't stayed at POR, but have stayed at one mod (CBR) and while we loved everything about CBR, once we tried a deluxe we haven't stayed anything else. We choose our resort by theme/decor/amenities more than location/transportation and the GF is a great resort with 2 nice pools, several great dining options, and beautiful surroundings (and being next to MK doesn't hurt). With that said, if the extra cost is doable without putting a strain on your budget, I would go with the GF; otherwise, I think you'd have a great time at POR, especially since you've stayed there before and know the resort. Good luck :wizard:.

If I could afford it I would do it.

This next trip we rented points and are doing BWV for 7 nights. We wanted to add two nights at GF. It was more than double the price of POFQ. Technically I could've afforded it but I didn't want to pay that much. Mostly because those first two days we would mostly be in the parks and not using the amenities of the GF. Arrival day we plan on hitting MK right away and our second day we plan on going to AK. On the third day we are checking out very early and going straight to DHS and having our bags transferred to BWV. We tend to go hard and run off of adrenaline the first few days of our trip and then we start relaxing more as the trip goes on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter