Grand Cayman questions!

flashy09

Earning My Ears
Hi! I have a Westin day pass in the Grand Cayman and am thinking of booking a Captain Marvin's 2.75 hr tour to Stingray sand bar. Our cruise ship is "ashore" at 1030 - does that just mean it arrives and the tendering starts or am I actually on land by then? The Westin is about 15 minutes away and I would love to have an idea of when I would actually arrive at the resort. The stingray tour starts at 145 and I am not sure the time in between is worth getting the pass, although I would like a nice lunch and beach for my kids to play on while waiting for the tour. Apparently captain marvin's main office is just across the street from the Westin, but does anybody know where the actual tour starts? Is it also very close to the Westin?

Also, are there any private boats that could pick us up later near the Westin and do a quicker tour - just the Stingrays and back to the beach instead of all the snorkeling stops?

Thank you!

"Ashore" time generally means the time at which the ship should be cleared for guests to begin disembarking, so I would take that as meaning they will begin tendering guests from the ship at 1030.

THanks! Is there a public beach that is close to the port or to where the tour begins? I think maybe it's not worth the Westin pass if we only have 2 hrs or so.

Captain Marvins is walking distance from the port. We were there last year and loved the tour, but I don't **recall** seeing a beach nearby; however, I wasn't really looking for one either. I was too busy almost getting hit by a car because I forgot that they drive on the opposite side of the road. :confused3

Just to give you an idea how it can go sometimes; we were on the 9/30 Fantasy cruise and on Grand Cayman day when we left our balcony, it was bright and sunny. Went to the theatre to wait for the tender (about 10:50) and were in group 2 waiting for the tender at that time. Group one went then a "passing" shower popped up. We waited over an hour before they decided to start moving us to the tender and it was still pouring out so we didn't get to the island until around 12:30.

Last January we had rough seas when we arrived in GC. The Carnival ship before us was having problems trying to tender. They finally gave up and headed back to sea. Our excursion along with many others were cancelled, we were going to do the stingrays. Many of the beach excursions were also cancelled, not sure why the sky was nice and sunny. If you don't book with Disney, make sure you can get a refund if you're not able to make the excursion. We were booked with Disney, so we received a refund.

There may be a thread for this, as I am a newbie I am probably doing this wrong,...but...is there a "must do" activity at Grand Cayman? Thanks!

Are you/your family outdoorsy-types? Snorkeling is AMAZING in GC. Are you more shoppers? Bayshore Mall is pretty good. The beaches are fantastic. There's a turtle preserve...there's so much to see and do there. It seems as if the snorkeling with Stingrays is the big hit.

We did the catamaran, reef & Kittiwake snorkel sail. It was great, even with the rain. Our table mates did the snorkeling at the stingray city and had a great time also.
:sail:

I think there are more than one Captain Marvin’s locations on the island, but one is definitely across the street from the Westin. If I remember correctly though, that location usually does an early morning and late afternoon trip to avoid the cruise ship masses. (It caters more to guests staying on the island, while the location closer to the port does more of the cruise ship passengers.) This may have changed in the year or so since we were in GC, so definitely check. If the timing works out at that location, you should totally grab lunch at Sunshine Grill which is right behind Captain Marvin’s. Super fun place and the food is amazing!!

If the timing is better for the location closer to the port, there are lots of eating options right there, but no beaches.

On another note, GC is one of the most friendly and safest islands we have ever visited, so you could grab a taxi and have them take you to the public beach on Seven Mile Beach, then have the drop you at Captain Marvin’s. They even accept US money, so you don’t have to worry about that!

It's public beach but it's on the opposite of the island. Takes about 45-60 minutes by taxi and costs a lot from what I hear - that, and not a lot of taxis want to go there since there isn't a big return business. Best way is usually by boat. There are boat and jet ski excursions available however. Many years ago we did one through Nativeways that combined Rum Point with a stop to see the stingrays and to snorkel. We loved that experience but now my family just wants to spend all of our time at Rum Point. The most economical way time wise and
money wise that I have found to get there directly is by the ship excursion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter