Grand Californian

Can anyone tell me what the toiletry situation is in the DVC villas? Still the individual bottles or the big pumps in the showers? Planning for our trip in 12 days--we head to Hawaii for 12 days after, so want to pack only what is needed.
When we were there last month it was still individual bottles and real bars of soap.

Has on-line check-in disappeared from the website? Today should be the day I check-in (arriving 6/20) but there is no option to do so. Could this be because I have a balance due at check-in? We added a night after our original reservation was made so we have a balance for 1 night.

It definitely works! Just call the number on your reservation to modify your reservation: (714) 520-5045. I was on hold for a little over an hour, but was able to easily modify my existing reservation once I reached a cast member.

WDW hotel reservations can be modified or cancelled online. It's been that way for a long time. I'm hoping that option will come to DL soon.

Has on-line check-in disappeared from the website? Today should be the day I check-in (arriving 6/20) but there is no option to do so. Could this be because I have a balance due at check-in? We added a night after our original reservation was made so we have a balance for 1 night.

You can call in and make a payment via the automated system if you want. Not sure if having a balance precludes you from doing online check in though. They usually just charge the balance the morning of checkin to the card that was used for the deposit.

You can call in and make a payment via the automated system if you want. Not sure if having a balance precludes you from doing online check in though. They usually just charge the balance the morning of checkin to the card that was used for the deposit.
Thanks. I usually just pay when I check-in. I was just wondering if there was a change to the on-line check-in recently.

It definitely works! Just call the number on your reservation to modify your reservation: (714) 520-5045. I was on hold for a little over an hour, but was able to easily modify my existing reservation once I reached a cast member.
Thank you for posting this phone number! I first tried 714-520-5045 and then 888-259-3277. Both numbers had an automated message that said "Due to call volume, please call back later." And then it disconnected. But I was able to stay connected and on hold using 714-520-5045. A fifty minute wait on hold saved us $581!
So glad to have checked this board today. I had no idea that hotel discounts were coming.

Question for anyone there post June 15. Are they still only allowing entry to the Grand Californian to hotel guest only and those with dining reservations?

Since we're staying at a Harbor side hotel, I have a 7pm reservation at Craftsman mostly to ensure I have entry to the Grand so that we can walk around and explore for a little bit. If they allow non-hotel guests in after June 15, I might cancel that Craftsman reservation and reserve one at one of the Downtown Disney locations.

We have been here since Sunday night. Below are answers to a couple of questions and a few other items
- no restrictions at pool as of yesterday. You just need to check in to get a wrist band.
- no room service at this time. Guests can mobile order from several downtown Disney restaurants with delivery to the lobby - one in our party used it last night and it worked great
- no full housekeeping on rooms (hotel side) at this time. Trash and towels every other day.
- as of yesterday there really aren’t any restrictions except that the restaurants have not yet fully opened up.

We have been here since Sunday night. Below are answers to a couple of questions and a few other items
- no restrictions at pool as of yesterday. You just need to check in to get a wrist band.
- no room service at this time. Guests can mobile order from several downtown Disney restaurants with delivery to the lobby - one in our party used it last night and it worked great
- no full housekeeping on rooms (hotel side) at this time. Trash and towels every other day.
- as of yesterday there really aren’t any restrictions except that the restaurants have not yet fully opened up.
Is the Hearthstone Lounge Bar fully open (the really important question 😂)

There have been two reports of bed bugs at the Grand Californian on the Facebook group this week. Anyone here have problems with this? The room numbers are 3242 and 5516. We are staying in a 2 bedroom villa at the end of June, and I'm a bit worried. I'm hoping it's isolated and they are taking care of it, but both people reported that their complaints were essentially brushed off.
I started wondering about the lack of daily housekeeping in hotels (including GCH) because of COVID-19 precautions. Could that put a property more at risk of bedbug infestations? I found an article from hotelbusiness.com that says yes. Here's a quote: "Before COVID-19, hotels benefited from daily inspections by housekeeping staff, alerts from guests and quick action from contracted pest management professionals (PMPs) to treat bed bug incidents. Now, early detection is less likely and timely treatment by PMPs may not be available. Untreated, infestations can quickly grow exponentially and will spread throughout properties. For example, in 70 days, one pregnant female can create more than 30,000 bed bugs."

I started wondering about the lack of daily housekeeping in hotels (including GCH) because of COVID-19 precautions. Could that put a property more at risk of bedbug infestations?

I am really hopeful that once the CalOSHA restrictions on social distancing and mask wearing for fully vaccinated employees are relaxed on Friday that daily housekeeping can once again resume. I think if GCH continues with minimal housekeeping for too long, it's going to be seen as a cost saving measure rather than a COVID safety measure. Though I'm also cognizant that there may be a staffing shortage. Daily housekeeping and having a made up bed is one of my favorite parts of staying at a hotel, so I'm really, really hoping that is re-instated soon. Especially if it helps keep bug infestations at bay. :oops:

We were booked for DLH for part of our Honeymoon in mid August but my TA checked w/ the new rates and we can get the GC for same price we were previously paying for DLH, so we're bumping up.

Anyone have any experience with getting free upgrades? Our TA put Honeymoon as our celebration, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but of course not counting on it and we're TOTALLY fine with the standard room we're paying for.
We've received free upgrades both at GCH and DLH, but that was pre-Covid. Who knows, now? With GCH, I called ahead and talked to reservations to request an area of the hotel (near the elevators) and asked politely if there might be a possibility of a free upgrade. They upgraded us to a wonderful room facing the courtyard with the monorail running through, and we could see the high fireworks over the roof opposite. That was several years ago. I would advise calling ahead to talk to room reservations if you can, but from what I am hearing, the wait on hold lately is abominable. It might be really hard to get through. In 2019 at DLH I asked at check-in and received a pool view in the Adventure tower.

Here's the thing. My kids and husband slightly cringe to hear/watch me do this; they get kind of embarrassed because they think I'm gushing and I'm not normally a gushing sort of person, though I'm cheerful and pleasant (gotta be, I'm a kid's librarian!). But I'm not ashamed to slightly gush when I'm asking for an upgrade. At DLH two years ago, I was checking in with receptionist, and by golly, I leaned on that counter and told her with a big smile how excited I was, because it was my birthday trip, and the whole family was back for the first time in 11 years, including my daughter and son-in-law! We had reservations for lunch at Club 33 (thanks to DH's work), and Napa Rose chef's counter another day, and she heard ALLLL about it. I had her gushing right along with me. I asked politely and oh, so sweetly if there was any possibility of getting DD and DSIL on the same floor with us, and maybe an upgrade to a higher floor? By this time, she was busily typing with a big smile on her face, and said, "Oh, yeah. We're going to make the magic happen." We got connecting rooms for the younger 2 DDs and DH and I, overlooking the pool, I think it was just 4th floor, but good... DD and DSIL were just further along the hall. It was pretty sweet. So... don't be hesitant to be cheerful and polite. It often pays off big in pixie dust!

How early can you do online check in??? I didn’t even know this was an option!

Any thoughts/words on when they might bring back room service? I'm crossing my fingers for waffles on the balcony in the morning!

Oh this sounds fantastic

Thanks for this update. Curious about pool wrist bands. Wanted to invite a few people to come and swim but not on my reservation. Do they just check guest room key, or are they looking up names to room?

I started wondering about the lack of daily housekeeping in hotels (including GCH) because of COVID-19 precautions. Could that put a property more at risk of bedbug infestations? I found an article from hotelbusiness.com that says yes. Here's a quote: "Before COVID-19, hotels benefited from daily inspections by housekeeping staff, alerts from guests and quick action from contracted pest management professionals (PMPs) to treat bed bug incidents. Now, early detection is less likely and timely treatment by PMPs may not be available. Untreated, infestations can quickly grow exponentially and will spread throughout properties. For example, in 70 days, one pregnant female can create more than 30,000 bed bugs."

Lack of housekeeping sure couldn't help. But I'm staying optimistic here that DLR has the tools available to control a wide outbreak. They use the dogs, and I'm sure they know the best way to eradicate the bugs. I keep thinking of the bag storage area as a problem, but surely they can fumigate that regularly.
That said, we check in mid August and I'm gonna do an inspection of the room first thing. Kinda glad there's no carpet.

Question on beds for any of the views of standard rooms. How likely is a double-queen with a sleeper sofa for a party of 4? We have two kids - 17 and 13 - who would prefer to not share a bed. Any info/suggestions are appreciated. TIA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter