Grand Californian

Can you access the pools before check-in time? Have people been able to check-in and access their room before check-in time since re-opening? We'll be in a DVC villa.

We got back yesterday afternoon from our stay in a 2-bed DVC villa. Thursday we got to the hotel around 8:15am got our room keys and were in the parks by 9. Around 11:30 we got the room ready text. I was a little disappointed with the view as we overlooked Redwood Challenge Creek which is currently being refurbed and had a lot of scaffolding, thankfully there wasn't much construction noise on Friday morning. We spent about 4 hours at the pool Friday afternoon from about 1-5 and it was fantastic. My only negative about the pool is that it can be difficult to get time in the hot tub with the one household at a time rule. There was a family with chairs by the hot tub that "camped" there for a decent amount of time and jumped in/out leaving at least one person in the hot tub.

We did delivery from DTD for two evenings (Thurs & Fri) and while it was a nice perk to have I wasn't that impressed with the food. The QR code was outside the elevators on the VGC side of the hotel and at the guest services desk. If anyone wants to use this option and can't find the QR code ask the front desk about food delivery from DTD to the lobby, asking about mobile order will lead them to directing you to the DLR app which does not have this option. On the topic of food it can be hard to find "certified" allergy-friendly items at the hotel for those with gluten/wheat allergies. I will say that there are more allergy friendly options listed on the online menus than with mobile order.

We got back yesterday afternoon from our stay in a 2-bed DVC villa. Thursday we got to the hotel around 8:15am got our room keys and were in the parks by 9. Around 11:30 we got the room ready text. I was a little disappointed with the view as we overlooked Redwood Challenge Creek which is currently being refurbed and had a lot of scaffolding, thankfully there wasn't much construction noise on Friday morning. We spent about 4 hours at the pool Friday afternoon from about 1-5 and it was fantastic. My only negative about the pool is that it can be difficult to get time in the hot tub with the one household at a time rule. There was a family with chairs by the hot tub that "camped" there for a decent amount of time and jumped in/out leaving at least one person in the hot tub.

We did delivery from DTD for two evenings (Thurs & Fri) and while it was a nice perk to have I wasn't that impressed with the food. The QR code was outside the elevators on the VGC side of the hotel and at the guest services desk. If anyone wants to use this option and can't find the QR code ask the front desk about food delivery from DTD to the lobby, asking about mobile order will lead them to directing you to the DLR app which does not have this option. On the topic of food it can be hard to find "certified" allergy-friendly items at the hotel for those with gluten/wheat allergies. I will say that there are more allergy friendly options listed on the online menus than with mobile order.
There is no time limit for each family for the hot tub?

There is no time limit for each family for the hot tub?
When we asked while checking-in at the pool deck we were told they ask people to set the jets for 15 minutes and leave when it shuts off but they never monitored how long one group was in there. If there is an issue they did say you could notify a lifeguard/CM and they would take care of if.

Also to answer you question above we were only required to show our room key so you should be able to use the pool on check-in/check-out day as long as you have a room key.

Will they let us leave our luggage with Bell Services on check out day so that we can enjoy the parks until closing time? Also, our car can stay in the hotel parking lot way past check out time, right?

Thank you! Was there any sort of issue getting chairs or a line to get into the pool area?

We're staying there for 2 nights in June. I'm going to the parks while DH hangs out at the hotel. Are the pools super loud & busy during the day?

That's a real shame about the hot tub situation! But, nice to know you can tell the lifeguards if it does become an issue. Thanks for your review!

I wouldn't say it was that busy when we were there on Friday afternoon, it was quiet enough for us to enjoy our books without any distractions. They are assigning chairs to groups (you get to pick the spot) and I believe they start the waitlist once all the groups of chairs are full.

I wouldn't say it was that busy when we were there on Friday afternoon, it was quiet enough for us to enjoy our books without any distractions. They are assigning chairs to groups (you get to pick the spot) and I believe they start the waitlist once all the groups of chairs are full.

I think assigning chairs to groups and starting a waitlist is something all resorts should do! Despite signs saying "no reserving chairs," so often people will go out early and drape their towels all over a group of chairs they end up using for 20 minutes in the afternoon.

How does security work at the Grand, particularly in the morning? The last time I stayed on-site was a couple of years ago at the Disneyland Hotel and the security gates were at the end of DTD in front of the hotel for both the DLH and PPH, but the GCH is right in the middle of Downtown Disney. Is there a line that forms early inside the hotel?

Can you get groceries delivered to the Grand? It makes sense for the DVC suites, as those have kitchens. Has anyone tried grocery delivery since the Grand re-opened?

Thanks for your post! We are checking into a 2-bed DVC next week! What was your checkin experience like? Was there a remote option or did you have to line up in-person? Was there a long line?

Thanks for your post! We are checking into a 2-bed DVC next week! What was your checkin experience like? Was there a remote option or did you have to line up in-person? Was there a long line?
I did online check-in on Sunday/Monday so when we got there they just verified the info and gave us our room keys. There wasn't a line on Thursday but Friday and Saturday there was a line back to about the fireplace in the lobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter