Grand Californian Super Thread

8-9 nights at DL is too long, IMO. 5-6 is much better. Do the CL at GCH if you are going in December. It's fabulous!
Yep! We are going over the holidays and I joked if I ever was able to do it over the holidays I would stay at the Grand. One of my 1st memories was when I was 4 yrs old spending Christmas at DL we were AP before we moved out of state. Which is also funny because one of my 1st Disney memory was watching Toy Tinkers on TV which made me a life long Chip & Dale fan LOL

The only reason I was considering going longer was because I was so worried about the crowds, but 5-6 days is way more feasible. I was just worried that if we did mid day breaks that we wouldn't be able to do everything... which is probably silly. I just need to decide if I should just do the regular CL room or just pull the trigger on 1 bd room and not think about it. I think if I did a 'fantom' child listing on my reservation then I could hopefully get the daybed -- but really our 15 yr old son isn't going to cry about having to also share a bed with his 5 yr old sister. Even in the 1 bedroom they would share the sectional that turned into a queen.

What is the probability of getting a studio for two days in the end of June 2024? We are going to Aulani and will be staying over to break up the long trip as we are coming from Maryland. We just need something smalll for the two nights. They do not open the schedule until sometime in Sept. Any help would be great!

We stayed in a standard room and some might say it was a bad view because it overlooked the front of the hotel and was partially blocked by a tree. But it was on the third floor right off the stairs and elevator and next to the concierge desk. It was a great location. I would trade a view for that location any day.
We once stayed in a standard view room and it was the top of a downtown Disney store rooftop. The thing is, literally all you could see was the roof top, so just concrete. I felt it detracted so much from the experience and the vibe that I only stay in courtyard view rooms now.

Yep! We are going over the holidays and I joked if I ever was able to do it over the holidays I would stay at the Grand. One of my 1st memories was when I was 4 yrs old spending Christmas at DL we were AP before we moved out of state. Which is also funny because one of my 1st Disney memory was watching Toy Tinkers on TV which made me a life long Chip & Dale fan LOL

The only reason I was considering going longer was because I was so worried about the crowds, but 5-6 days is way more feasible. I was just worried that if we did mid day breaks that we wouldn't be able to do everything... which is probably silly. I just need to decide if I should just do the regular CL room or just pull the trigger on 1 bd room and not think about it. I think if I did a 'fantom' child listing on my reservation then I could hopefully get the daybed -- but really our 15 yr old son isn't going to cry about having to also share a bed with his 5 yr old sister. Even in the 1 bedroom they would share the sectional that turned into a queen.

If you only have the 2 kids and are staying CL just do a regular room. We have always gotten the daybed at GCH by just requesting one when we make the reservation. We are only a family of 4, but my teen boys have a hard time sharing a bed due to autism and personal space issues. Plus, one boy is a bed thrasher so he ends up kicking whoever is sleeping with him. Regardless, we have had many stays at GCH and always get the daybed. I find the rooms well laid out and we never feel cramped.

What is the probability of getting a studio for two days in the end of June 2024? We are going to Aulani and will be staying over to break up the long trip as we are coming from Maryland. We just need something smalll for the two nights. They do not open the schedule until sometime in Sept. Any help would be great!
Are you talking DVC or regular, a regular room is not a problem. DVC about impossible but Disneyland Hotel DVC should be open by then

If you only have the 2 kids and are staying CL just do a regular room. We have always gotten the daybed at GCH by just requesting one when we make the reservation. We are only a family of 4, but my teen boys have a hard time sharing a bed due to autism and personal space issues. Plus, one boy is a bed thrasher so he ends up kicking whoever is sleeping with him. Regardless, we have had many stays at GCH and always get the daybed. I find the rooms well laid out and we never feel cramped.
Thanks for sharing 💕 I think I was/am just worried wanting to give our 15(son) space and and even thou he doesn't seem to care about sharing with is 5 yr old sister -- I am the oldest of 5 so sharing a bed was nothing uncommon LOL One thing I have thought about if we did CL it will also give us some 'extra' space maybe that is silly or it might not be.

Do you just notate on the reservation when making it over the phone or do you think it would be best just to do a phantom kid on the reservation?

Thanks for sharing 💕 I think I was/am just worried wanting to give our 15(son) space and and even thou he doesn't seem to care about sharing with is 5 yr old sister -- I am the oldest of 5 so sharing a bed was nothing uncommon LOL One thing I have thought about if we did CL it will also give us some 'extra' space maybe that is silly or it might not be.

Do you just notate on the reservation when making it over the phone or do you think it would be best just to do a phantom kid on the reservation?

We just make the request on the phone when booking and confirm at check in that the room has a daybed.

... I think I was/am just worried wanting to give our 15(son) space and and even thou he doesn't seem to care about sharing with his 5 yr old sister -- I am the oldest of 5 so sharing a bed was nothing uncommon LOL One thing I have thought about if we did CL it will also give us some 'extra' space maybe that is silly or it might not be.
You might want to request a King Bed :idea:
Club Level rooms with a King Bed will also have a Day Bed and Twin-Size Sleeper Chair.
(non-CL rooms with king, can have non-foldout sofa rather than a day bed)

Rooms with a king have more open floor space, so seem larger

king-pull.jpg

You might want to request a King Bed :idea:
Club Level rooms with a King Bed will also have a Day Bed and Twin-Size Sleeper Chair.
(non-CL rooms with king, can have non-foldout sofa rather than a day bed)

Rooms with a king have more open floor space, so seem larger

View attachment 775032
I saw that! The only issue is I’m not sure our (he’s 14 now)15 yr old could fit on the sleeper chair. He’s really skinny but already 5’10”

I have enjoyed browsing this thread preparing for our upcoming trip to GCH in August and appreciate the great tips and advice from all who have posted! I have a couple questions that I'd love some input on. We have stayed at the GCH before in a Standard room, which was better than we expected. We never even used an elevator because our room was a just down the hall from the top of the stairs (so no experience at all with where the elevators even are, lol). This time, however, the lowest cost room available was a "Partial Theme park/DTD view". Can anyone elaborate on what or where we can expect these rooms to be (floor, proximity to elevator, noise, view, pro/con, etc). My second question is regarding the PPH entrance and any recent experiences using that entrance. Is it still open to all resort hotel guests, is the line shorter on that side and easier to get through, where do they keep you for rope drop once in, etc? Thanks much! :wizard:

My second question is regarding the PPH entrance and any recent experiences using that entrance. Is it still open to all resort hotel guests, is the line shorter on that side and easier to get through, where do they keep you for rope drop once in, etc? Thanks much! :wizard:
We were able to use the PPH entrance at the end of June without issue. Lined up around 7:10AM, and security did not start until closer to 7:30AM. Went pretty fast - two tables for bag checks, and two CMs scanning tickets. No rope once you're inside the park - it's amazing to see it so empty when you're among the first ones in! We walked onto Webslingers.

8-9 nights at DL is too long, IMO. 5-6 is much better. Do the CL at GCH if you are going in December. It's fabulous!
Disagree. If you can financially afford 8-9 nights, that is much better than doing less days and trying to cram everything in. Especially if staying at the Grand. Have a day by the pool in a cabana, do the Tenaya spa, check-in day used to explore DtD, check-out used to swing by the pool again or relax in the lobby. That is already 4 days with only 4 days to tour the parks which is almost not enough if you do not go often. I guess if you had a tour one of those days you might get away with doing less.

GCH Club Level is great and I would recommend adding it on or booking it if possible.

Anyone stayed in Mt. Whitney or Aroyo 3-bed suite recently? Considering this for an upcoming extended family trip with the in-laws. The more space the better is what I am leaning towards. Not many reviews on these that I have been able to find here or Bing

I saw that! The only issue is I’m not sure our (he’s 14 now)15 yr old could fit on the sleeper chair. He’s really skinny but already 5’10”
I wouldn't do a regular room if you can help it. The sleeper chair isn't going to be comfortable for someone on the taller side. My husband is right around 6'4", so a little taller but I couldn't see that or the daybed working for him even if he was a bit shorter.

It might work for a smaller kid but the regular rooms can feel crowded quickly.

Anyone stayed in Mt. Whitney or Aroyo 3-bed suite recently? Considering this for an upcoming extended family trip with the in-laws. The more space the better is what I am leaning towards. Not many reviews on these that I have been able to find here or Bing

30 minutes worth, if you like. There are shorter tour videos if you prefer. There are El Cap Youtube tours out there also. Not sure about Aroyo. :thumbsup2

We always request this configuration and only get it about 30% of the time. Our older DD is 5’10 and she sleeps very comfortably on the sleeper chair. She is a side sleeper so doesn’t sleep completely sprawled out. Our other DD is about 5’7“ and loves the pull down bed. Again she is a side sleeper. The king rooms are the least common room type at the GCH so sometimes you just don’t get that configuraction.

Disagree. If you can financially afford 8-9 nights, that is much better than doing less days and trying to cram everything in. Especially if staying at the Grand. Have a day by the pool in a cabana, do the Tenaya spa, check-in day used to explore DtD, check-out used to swing by the pool again or relax in the lobby. That is already 4 days with only 4 days to tour the parks which is almost not enough if you do not go often. I guess if you had a tour one of those days you might get away with doing less.

GCH Club Level is great and I would recommend adding it on or booking it if possible.
I think this depends, at least in part, on how many times you've been to DLR. I get tired of it and am ready to leave at around day 5. There's just nothing left that I want to see or do again in that trip. However, I will return several more times that year.

I love having club level but rarely book it. It's fun and feels special but the reality for me is that I'm doubling the cost for a bunch of food I don't like very much. It was nice when we were a family of 5, but now it's just me and a friend or sister. I highly recommend it if you like the offerings and/or have a family. I used to like the food, but the last 2 times I went, I thought it looked much better than it tasted. I've heard others say it's good again now, though.

I think this depends, at least in part, on how many times you've been to DLR. I get tired of it and am ready to leave at around day 5. There's just nothing left that I want to see or do again in that trip. However, I will return several more times that year.

I love having club level but rarely book it. It's fun and feels special but the reality for me is that I'm doubling the cost for a bunch of food I don't like very much. It was nice when we were a family of 5, but now it's just me and a friend or sister. I highly recommend it if you like the offerings and/or have a family. I used to like the food, but the last 2 times I went, I thought it looked much better than it tasted. I've heard others say it's good again now, though.

I was super disappointed with the evening food offerings at the Veranda. First of all, the food that was supposed to be warm was always cold. And it all was just greasy pub food. And after a few days of the same stuff it just got old. Luckily, we had some dinner reservations that broke up the mediocre monotony. I thought the sandwich offerings in the afternoon were fantastic, though.

I wouldn't do a regular room if you can help it. The sleeper chair isn't going to be comfortable for someone on the taller side. My husband is right around 6'4", so a little taller but I couldn't see that or the daybed working for him even if he was a bit shorter.

It might work for a smaller kid but the regular rooms can feel crowded quickly.
My DH is also tall 6'6" and our son seems to be in the middle of a growth spurt & is still 14 but will be 15 when we go. He is already 5'10" so I could see him being possibly 5'11" or taller here soon LOL I am 5'4" so I have no issue sleeping anywhere but I totally understand needing places for your feet to not hang over the sides.

I know this is the totally working place for this post but we are going to the DLR the beginning of August and we decided to stay at the DLH because it’s our 1st time and I know my son would love it. We are a complete WDW family and always stay deluxe on property. I went back and forth between the 2 hotels.. I’m still on the fence I think but I can’t find a DLH SUPER thread like this 1. Is there 1?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter