Grand Californian Super Thread

I wanted to ask a question for a friend who is planning to stay at GCH. I know you can add Club Level to just a regular room like a partial view? I know with if you get a one of the suites you can add it on for $350? but wasnt sure if that was the same for other rooms.

I wanted to ask a question for a friend who is planning to stay at GCH. I know you can add Club Level to just a regular room like a partial view? I know with if you get a one of the suites you can add it on for $350? but wasnt sure if that was the same for other rooms.
I'm not sure either. We have added it to a suite at the GCH in the past but never to a room. If you just go and book a Standard View with Club Level right now, it is $600 more per night than just booking a Standard View room ($839 versus $1483)!!! If they let you add it to any room at check in for less than that, seems like a bargain!

I'm not sure either. We have added it to a suite at the GCH in the past but never to a room. If you just go and book a Standard View with Club Level right now, it is $600 more per night than just booking a Standard View room ($839 versus $1483)!!! If they let you add it to any room at check in for less than that, seems like a bargain!
Do you remember how much you paid at GCH for the club level at check in? Ive heard it is about 350 GCH 250 DLH

Do you remember how much you paid at GCH for the club level at check in? Ive heard it is about 350 GCH 250 DLH
I recall that it was $250/night to add to the 2 bedroom suite, but that was 8 years ago, so prices will have gone up! I thought it was a real bargain then for 6 ppl (since they charge per room, and a suite, even a 2 bedroom, counts as only one room), and at $350 now, it is still a bargain if you are in a suite and can amortize that over 6+ people.

I recall that it was $250/night to add to the 2 bedroom suite, but that was 8 years ago, so prices will have gone up! I thought it was a real bargain then for 6 ppl (since they charge per room, and a suite, even a 2 bedroom, counts as only one room), and at $350 now, it is still a bargain if you are in a suite and can amortize that over 6+ people.
Thanks! It will only be 4 of us but I only could imagine if had ended up bringing the 3 others were thinking of... it would be huge savings! Even with 4 of us I am thinking it will be a nice perk and am pretty sure I will be adding it on to both the DLH & GCH stays

I just stayed in a similar location in April. It was amazing! We routinely took the stairs, which was great for convenience, although our legs started to not like that so much. 😆

The only room that I didn't love due to the long walk was when we stayed in 5260...it's literally the last room on the furthest side of GCH. The tradeoff is that Goofys Sky School was just outside our window, but that novelty wore off pretty quick whenever we had to trek back to the room. Now with the PPH entrance near the DVC BBQ area, that side would actually be great for entering DCA, so that's a plus.

For @Disneysince82, I don't believe there are any one bedrooms on that side since it's mostly DVC (but I could be wrong). All in all though, I don't think you can really go wrong at GCH. Even with the room I didn't love above, there were positive aspects (partial view of DCA). The only type I haven't had is DtD, but my parents stayed in a DtD room last year and absolutely loved it. They are big people watchers, and the noise didn't bother them at all (they actually loved hearing the live music and said the door drowned it out when close).
I believe there are 1 or 2 hotel suites on the lower floors in the general DVC area, very close to the elevator, based on the DVC public offering maps maps.

We were quoted $300/night last July at check in when we were booked in a Woods view room (not a suite). We had only paid about $500/night for the room with a 40% military discount, but we opted not to do it.

We had done a Club Level stay earlier in the month but we had to cut that 3 night trip short after the one night because I got covid. This make up trip later in the month didn't have any CL rooms available when booking so we booked a Woods view and were advised to ask about adding CL at check in. EVEN THOUGH the CL rooms were still sold out, they would have sold us the lounge access add on, but we decided against it. We got our fill on the first attempt (2 days worth of lounge access).

I wou
Do you mean how many non-park days to just enjoy the hotel and pools?
I would love a pool day & had hoped to rent a cabana but sort of threw that into the wind when we decided to go over the holidays. If it we can get even a semi warm day we will be down there for at least awhile LOL

I had originally planned to split our visit at both when we were going Christmas Eve - New Years Day but decided to hold out on NYEs because of the crowds and our daughter(5) is a little older -- I think our 15 yr old probably would have a blast! Right now we are just booked at the DLH 2 bedroom family suite for 6 nights from 12/19-12/25. I am tempted add a couple days or even 1-2 at the end of the trip for the GCH. We would have to check out at DLH on 12/25 from that room because they don't have availability right now after that -- they do in the 1 bd family the whole time.

I had played around with the idea of changing to GCH 12/23-12/26. We really want some privacy so we would probably do the 1 bedroom suite. I am sort of planning Christmas Eve & day(maybe the day after) as wild card per say. On Christmas Eve will be over in Long Beach for a few hours in the mid afternoon. I am hoping to get reservations fora nice breakfast & dinner on those days but were not planning really on most likely hitting too many rides. -- Fireworks one night & maybe WOC dessert party the next? I figure if we did that it could be kind of make them more resort days. The thing is if 2-3 days isn't really enough to REALLY enjoy GCH I might as well just keep it the way it is.

A good friend of mind just got back from the GCH and she told me I need to just do myself a favor and do 5-6 night just at the GCH and never look back LOL That I won't be even thinking about DLH after I check in:p This is our 1st time staying on site & a very long over due & special trip so I am just over thinking everything,

Oh no!! Covid beat up on DH & I pretty bad a few months ago when we got it. I can't imagine having to deal with that at Disney!
Do you remember if you were able to add it just for certain days or is it an all or nothing thing? I am pretty sure we would get use out of it at least mid day on all the days.
If you don't mind me asking is CL just something you aren't interested in doing again?

We were quoted $300/night last July at check in when we were booked in a Woods view room (not a suite). We had only paid about $500/night for the room with a 40% military discount, but we opted not to do it.

We had done a Club Level stay earlier in the month but we had to cut that 3 night trip short after the one night because I got covid. This make up trip later in the month didn't have any CL rooms available when booking so we booked a Woods view and were advised to ask about adding CL at check in. EVEN THOUGH the CL rooms were still sold out, they would have sold us the lounge access add on, but we decided against it. We got our fill on the first attempt (2 days worth of lounge access).

Others might have different opinions but for us the benefit of GCH is the way it integrates you within your trip rather than being something extra to do. Resting at the hotel on a whim or jumping in the pool is so convenient you don’t have to think twice about it. In the late afternoon/early evening we went to the pool for a swim, then went straight to Grizzly River Run, rode it 4 times in a row, then right back to the hotel. It is one of our favorite memories. The DCA entrance is really convenient. The pools are heated so I don’t see why you would not be able to use them. It might be a little cold outside but that shouldn’t stop you. You can walk right out into DTD and the front gates are basically right there. They have the most food options available and close by. The gym is much better and even if you don’t want to use it you can get free water bottles or fill up your reusable bottle there. We even left DCA to do that because it was so convenient. Again, others might disagree because of their preferences but if money was not an issue we would always stay at GCH. The things DLH has that are better are the slides (although they don’t dump you out into a pool you can stay in), the rooms are slightly bigger, they have the light up headboards, and the history. GCH does have a slide and overall to us a better pool area.

Oh no!! Covid beat up on DH & I pretty bad a few months ago when we got it. I can't imagine having to deal with that at Disney!
Do you remember if you were able to add it just for certain days or is it an all or nothing thing? I am pretty sure we would get use out of it at least mid day on all the days.
If you don't mind me asking is CL just something you aren't interested in doing again?

It wasn't too bad, since we are locals. Driving home was a 15 minute deal and I didn't get too sick from Covid. I was sick enough the next day with a fever that I would NOT have wanted to be traveling, though.

We would have had to add CL for the entire stay, which was only 2 nights. DH figured it wasn't worth it, but we HAD packed a bunch of beers and ciders in a cooler so we were prepared. We had agreed we would add it if it was $250 or less per night.

We usually book CL, so we would definitely do it again. I really love the GCH CL. It's super nice and the food is elevated far beyond what we are accustomed to at WDW club levels. But the food at GCH overall is super good. The staff is also really great at GCH. When we had to leave early, it was already 7pm on our second night and they let us leave without charging us for that night and refunded the remainder of our stay so we could rebook for later in the summer. They were very sympathetic to the situation and extremely easy to deal with. Took care of us at the desk with DH in under 5 minutes while I packed up our things.

Others might have different opinions but for us the benefit of GCH is the way it integrates you within your trip rather than being something extra to do. Resting at the hotel on a whim or jumping in the pool is so convenient you don’t have to think twice about it. In the late afternoon/early evening we went to the pool for a swim, then went straight to Grizzly River Run, rode it 4 times in a row, then right back to the hotel. It is one of our favorite memories. The DCA entrance is really convenient. The pools are heated so I don’t see why you would not be able to use them. It might be a little cold outside but that shouldn’t stop you. You can walk right out into DTD and the front gates are basically right there. They have the most food options available and close by. The gym is much better and even if you don’t want to use it you can get free water bottles or fill up your reusable bottle there. We even left DCA to do that because it was so convenient. Again, others might disagree because of their preferences but if money was not an issue we would always stay at GCH. The things DLH has that are better are the slides (although they don’t dump you out into a pool you can stay in), the rooms are slightly bigger, they have the light up headboards, and the history. GCH does have a slide and overall to us a better pool area.

Agree with all of this.

Thanks for this 💕 Would I say money isn't an issue.... well I would eb silly to say it isn't -- but then it isn't. I say that because we are clearly going during a time that it is easily $400-500 more a night vs if we just waited till January LOL Even then we were looking at splitting between both DLH & GCH the price was going to be a lot because we are doing 1-2 bedrooms. It would not break us to do 5 nights at the GCH. It was actually what I had 'planned on' the the reason we added DLH was we could go for longer 8-9 days but were going to have to split. Also in the summer DLH I wanted the kids to do the slides .... with that said I wanted to hang out in a cabana at the GCH! When my husband was given an option to do 9 days split or 5 days he was like LETS DO 5:laughing:He thought 8-9 was too long but said he wouldn't complain.

When we decided to opt out of NYE we saw the 2 bd family connecting so jump on it at DLH. If we do GCH I would really want a 1 bedroom King(which I know you can notate but its not promised) if we get 2 queens we might as well of just saved money and did a regular room. I know it sounds silly but me and DH want some privacy & we can of course get that when our 15 yr brings his sister to the CL or even on some rides etc -- I probably should really think of that. If we get a 1 bedroom with 2 queen our 5 yr old is just going to consider that her bed and there will be no sleeping in the pull out sofa with her brother in the living room. Our 15 yr old LOVES working out and I could see him wanting to go to the gym all the time. He already goes to the gym daily. I could see me only really doing Grizzly River if I am close!

It wasn't too bad, since we are locals. Driving home was a 15 minute deal and I didn't get too sick from Covid. I was sick enough the next day with a fever that I would NOT have wanted to be traveling, though.

We would have had to add CL for the entire stay, which was only 2 nights. DH figured it wasn't worth it, but we HAD packed a bunch of beers and ciders in a cooler so we were prepared. We had agreed we would add it if it was $250 or less per night.

We usually book CL, so we would definitely do it again. I really love the GCH CL. It's super nice and the food is elevated far beyond what we are accustomed to at WDW club levels. But the food at GCH overall is super good. The staff is also really great at GCH. When we had to leave early, it was already 7pm on our second night and they let us leave without charging us for that night and refunded the remainder of our stay so we could rebook for later in the summer. They were very sympathetic to the situation and extremely easy to deal with. Took care of us at the desk with DH in under 5 minutes while I packed up our things.
I thought I avoided Covid all this time & it knocked me down pretty bad I had a 104 fever for a week then it took me a few weeks sadly to recover. Thankfully you are local I couldn't even imagine dealing with that and not being! I am so happy to hear there were able to take care of you & also quickly. That is something I really love about CM's and how even in the worse situation they have the ability to make it a little easier if not better.

People seem to really love CL and even more so at GCH! I have watched way more YT on reviews about CL trying to find someone to tell me it sucks and to save my $$$ every one convinces me I need it LOL I saw a family that had like 5 people and they did CL at GCH and they did it exactly right... I was proud of them & they might of sealed the deal for me on CL

Thanks for this 💕 Would I say money isn't an issue.... well I would eb silly to say it isn't -- but then it isn't. I say that because we are clearly going during a time that it is easily $400-500 more a night vs if we just waited till January LOL Even then we were looking at splitting between both DLH & GCH the price was going to be a lot because we are doing 1-2 bedrooms. It would not break us to do 5 nights at the GCH. It was actually what I had 'planned on' the the reason we added DLH was we could go for longer 8-9 days but were going to have to split. Also in the summer DLH I wanted the kids to do the slides .... with that said I wanted to hang out in a cabana at the GCH! When my husband was given an option to do 9 days split or 5 days he was like LETS DO 5:laughing:He thought 8-9 was too long but said he wouldn't complain.

When we decided to opt out of NYE we saw the 2 bd family connecting so jump on it at DLH. If we do GCH I would really want a 1 bedroom King(which I know you can notate but its not promised) if we get 2 queens we might as well of just saved money and did a regular room. I know it sounds silly but me and DH want some privacy & we can of course get that when our 15 yr brings his sister to the CL or even on some rides etc -- I probably should really think of that. If we get a 1 bedroom with 2 queen our 5 yr old is just going to consider that her bed and there will be no sleeping in the pull out sofa with her brother in the living room. Our 15 yr old LOVES working out and I could see him wanting to go to the gym all the time. He already goes to the gym daily. I could see me only really doing Grizzly River if I am close!

I thought I avoided Covid all this time & it knocked me down pretty bad I had a 104 fever for a week then it took me a few weeks sadly to recover. Thankfully you are local I couldn't even imagine dealing with that and not being! I am so happy to hear there were able to take care of you & also quickly. That is something I really love about CM's and how even in the worse situation they have the ability to make it a little easier if not better.

People seem to really love CL and even more so at GCH! I have watched way more YT on reviews about CL trying to find someone to tell me it sucks and to save my $$$ every one convinces me I need it LOL I saw a family that had like 5 people and they did CL at GCH and they did it exactly right... I was proud of them & they might of sealed the deal for me on CL

8-9 nights at DL is too long, IMO. 5-6 is much better. Do the CL at GCH if you are going in December. It's fabulous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter