Grand Californian Super Thread

This is correct. Lots of people take it. PPH guest go that way to get into DTD and no security entrance to DLH
Thank you, as well as the other two commenters! Here I thought that I was being a sneaky little genius, but everyone else has already figured it out. Duh.

Thank you, as well as the other two commenters! Here I thought that I was being a sneaky little genius, but everyone else has already figured it out. Duh.
I apologize in advance as I am sure this has been asked, but there are so many pages to sort through...for you GCH veterans, what time would you say to be ready to lineup for early entry for Disneyland and for California Adventure?

I apologize in advance as I am sure this has been asked, but there are so many pages to sort through...for you GCH veterans, what time would you say to be ready to lineup for early entry for Disneyland and for California Adventure?
I will be staying at VGC next week and have a similar question: for those who have stayed recently at the Grand Californian, can you share your experience using the paradise pier hotel entry for Early Entry into DCA? Any objections by cast members, or have you been able to show your Grand Cal room key/reservation without any issues? The paradise pier entry is so close to the DVC villas, it would be very convenient if this is available to use for Early Entry.

Last edited:
For 7:30am early entry, we lined up around 6:35am and were 2nd in line at the Downtown Disney entrance back in February.
I will be staying at VGC next week and have a similar question: for those who have stayed recently at the Grand Californian, can you share your experience using the paradise pier hotel entry for Early Entry into DCA? Any objections by cast members, or have you been able to show your Grand Cal room key/reservation without any issues? The paradise pier entry is so close to the DVC villas, it would be very convenient if this is available to use for Early Entry.
Our experience was in February so not super recent, but we had absolutely no issue using Early Entry from the Paradise Pier entry as GCH guests. No objections and we weren't asked to show any room keys or reservations (but it may have been linked to our tickets on the app). Bonus, we were running a bit late (probably entered around 7:40am for 7:30am early entry) and there was zero line, despite there being long lines at the Downtown Disney and Grizzly entries!

For 7:30am early entry, we lined up around 6:35am and were 2nd in line at the Downtown Disney entrance back in February.

Our experience was in February so not super recent, but we had absolutely no issue using Early Entry from the Paradise Pier entry as GCH guests. No objections and we weren't asked to show any room keys or reservations (but it may have been linked to our tickets on the app). Bonus, we were running a bit late (probably entered around 7:40am for 7:30am early entry) and there was zero line, despite there being long lines at the Downtown Disney and Grizzly entries!

Do you think 7AM would be too late to line up for Downtown Disney entrance for Disneyland day?

Do you think 7AM would be too late to line up for Downtown Disney entrance for Disneyland day?

We used the DtD security entrance for Disneyland from GCH a couple mornings almost two weeks ago. We were down there 6:15-6:20 and were about 5th in line. Security doesn’t actually open until 7, but by that time the line is crazy long. It really depends what your goals are… To take advantage of the ridiculously short 30 minutes of early entry, I would get there well before 7. The lines for park entrance build quickly once Harbor security opens as well.

The teens went down to the paradise pier entrance around 6:45, and I believe they were first in line. YMMV of course ….🙃

We used the DtD security entrance for Disneyland from GCH a couple mornings almost two weeks ago. We were down there 6:15-6:20 and were about 5th in line. Security doesn’t actually open until 7, but by that time the line is crazy long. It really depends what your goals are… To take advantage of the ridiculously short 30 minutes of early entry, I would get there well before 7. The lines for park entrance build quickly once Harbor security opens as well.

The teens went down to the paradise pier entrance around 6:45, and I believe they were first in line. YMMV of course ….🙃
I appreciate it and thats going to be our plan then to get down there by 630-645. Hopefully some CL options are available at 6:30, grab them and get downstairs and ready to rock.

Can someone please walk me through this step by step because it seems like the security process has changed since our last stay. Are we talking about lining up for security to get into DTD to then line up at the DL tunrstiles or the front gate of DCA? Even when we have stayed at GCH we still go in the front gate of DCA. But you are saying security doesn’t start checking until 7am? What time do they allow guests from Harbor into the DL turnstile area? Thank YOU!

I'm wondering about Harbor guests too. Do they start lining up and mixing in with people who have early entry? (Not that we ever get up early enough to do this but I'm still curious!)

Out of curiosity - if staying at the Grand Californian, why would you go to the main DCA entrance?

I'm wondering about Harbor guests too. Do they start lining up and mixing in with people who have early entry? (Not that we ever get up early enough to do this but I'm still curious!)

Out of curiosity - if staying at the Grand Californian, why would you go to the main DCA entrance?
So when I was there most recently everyone was being let in the gates early but holding on Buena Vista and Main Street.

Those in a hotel could walk up the side show their room key and get into the ride parts of the park.

For entry into DCA I’ve heard it’s easier to go out and use the PPH entrance at the front of the GCH hotel and they haven’t been stopping anyone. I haven’t used that entrance myself so I can’t confirm but it does say PPH guests only but no idea if they enforce it, reports say no.

We stayed a few years ago and followed tips by a poster here, HydroGuy. We aimed to ride RSRs as our first attraction, so we followed his tip for "far right" once in the park. Since there are so many gates at the front of DCA rather than the one entrance in from GCH, we felt our chances of getting in sooner were better by going to the front where I could be first in line at one of those front turnstiles, and we were. Also, I went out there to wait at like 6:15AM and it was pretty easy for my family to walk up and join me closer to 7:00am because of the expansive space. I hope that all makes sense.

I have no problem being where I need to be very early because, in my opinion, I know it makes a difference for the day. We will be there at the end of the month, and my daughter and I will be starting our first day at DL which we usually never do, we usually start at DCA while staying at GCH. The new process for security screening is new to us as it relates to getting in line for DL. If anyone has any other tips, I'd love to read them! Thank you!

So when I was there most recently everyone was being let in the gates early but holding on Buena Vista and Main Street.

Those in a hotel could walk up the side show their room key and get into the ride parts of the park.

For entry into DCA I’ve heard it’s easier to go out and use the PPH entrance at the front of the GCH hotel and they haven’t been stopping anyone. I haven’t used that entrance myself so I can’t confirm but it does say PPH guests only but no idea if they enforce it, reports say no.

The PPH entrance can now officially be used by all guests staying at onsite hotels. There is a screenshot showing this a few pages back in the thread. You also don’t have to go out the front of GCH to use the entrance. It’s near the DVC bbq areas so you can access the entrance gate from within the hotel.

The entrance is for all Disney Resort Hotel guests. You will not have a problem. We used it for EE from DLH and it was nice because you were already passed the ropes since they know you are all hotel guests.

The entrance is for all Disney Resort Hotel guests. You will not have a problem. We used it for EE from DLH and it was nice because you were already passed the ropes since they know you are all hotel guests.
Does anyone have a map showing the GCH and PPH entrances to DCA?

Also where do you line up for DL at the GCH for early entry - map location?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Does anyone have a map showing the GCH and PPH entrances to DCA?

Also where do you line up for DL at the GCH for early entry - map location?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Inkeddisney+grand+californian+hotel+review+map.jpg

Here's a map I added the PPH location to. You walk past the elevators for the south tower, take a right, and just across from the laundry room is a set of doors that lead out to a patio with grills. Take a left and follow the path to the security checkpoint and entrance.

Attachments

• PPH entrance.png
    PPH entrance.png
    854.7 KB · Views: 42
Can only GCH guest use the California Adventure entrance or any guest staying at any onsite hotel use it? I keep seeing different things & thought I would ask. I though it was only GCH guest that could use it.

Can only GCH guest use the California Adventure entrance or any guest staying at any onsite hotel use it? I keep seeing different things & thought I would ask. I though it was only GCH guest that could use it.
In the early morning they used to check Room Cards to let you in that entrance (I think it was the first couple hours) and had a sign saying such; however, after that time it was any guest could use the entrance always. Though I haven't seen the sign in a long time nor been asked to show a room key. Though they still are not letting you into the GCH from Disneyland Drive unless you have a room there or a dining reservation. However, if you go into the GCH from Downtown Disney, perhaps you can enter DCA from there but I think that be less convenient than the PPH (open to all guests) entrance or the main entrance.

In the early morning they used to check Room Cards to let you in that entrance (I think it was the first couple hours) and had a sign saying such; however, after that time it was any guest could use the entrance always. Though I haven't seen the sign in a long time nor been asked to show a room key. Though they still are not letting you into the GCH from Disneyland Drive unless you have a room there or a dining reservation. However, if you go into the GCH from Downtown Disney, perhaps you can enter DCA from there but I think that be less convenient than the PPH (open to all guests) entrance or the main entrance.
Has it always been that way? For some reason I thought it was only for the GCH

For clarification, the PPH entrance is for all ON SITE HOTEL guests, not all guests (to my understanding).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter