Grand Californian Super Thread

I feel like a 14 year old will like GCH pool much better. My boys are older teens and like GCH pool more than DLH. Once you take away the monorail slides, the DLH pool is just too small and boring. The largest pool at GCH has a neat current to swim against, and there are then 2 other pretty large pools as well. The water never feels crowded like it does at DLH.

And honestly, the surroundings at GCH are much prettier.
Thank you. Just what I needed to hear. We have never stayed at GCH and we have all said we prefer DLH so i hope we enjoy our time but I also hope we don't end up loving it since the GCH is a bit more $$ and if DD asks to stay there again I just might have to keep splurging 🤣

Will the front desk hold cold groceries for us until our room is ready? I would prefer to shop the day before but won’t buy cold stuff if they cannot hold it for us.

Hi all! I've gone through quite a few pages of this but figured I should just ask my questions and hopefully not be a pain if they've already been answered further back.

We have reservations for both DH and GC for the beginning of December. We'll be there four night and will spend 1/2 day at the park on arrival day and departure day. It will for sure be my 9 year old daughter and myself and possibly a friend of hers. We have both standard views at each hotel.

I really would prefer to stay at DH but with construction am not feeling it will be worth it. We plan on spending each afternoon at the pool. Are the pools heated at GH?

Also if we stop on our way to the hotel and get waters and snacks will they hold it with our luggage until our room is ready? I am not planning on anything cold but it will be a case of water. Our flight gets in at 11ish. We plan on dropping luggage and heading to the park.

I'm really just trying to justify the cost difference. Originally we were going to stay at GC then I figured DH was better and now I'm switching back. I've been reading the pools are better at GC. My daughter LOVES swimming so that will be a plus.

Hi all! I've gone through quite a few pages of this but figured I should just ask my questions and hopefully not be a pain if they've already been answered further back.

We have reservations for both DH and GC for the beginning of December. We'll be there four night and will spend 1/2 day at the park on arrival day and departure day. It will for sure be my 9 year old daughter and myself and possibly a friend of hers. We have both standard views at each hotel.

I really would prefer to stay at DH but with construction am not feeling it will be worth it. We plan on spending each afternoon at the pool. Are the pools heated at GH?

Also if we stop on our way to the hotel and get waters and snacks will they hold it with our luggage until our room is ready? I am not planning on anything cold but it will be a case of water. Our flight gets in at 11ish. We plan on dropping luggage and heading to the park.

I'm really just trying to justify the cost difference. Originally we were going to stay at GC then I figured DH was better and now I'm switching back. I've been reading the pools are better at GC. My daughter LOVES swimming so that will be a plus.

Stay at GCH in December. Its SO festive for the holidays, with carolers in the lobby in the evenings, a beautiful tree, and the Holiday Cart selling goodies.

The pools are all heated to the same temperature year round.

Bell services will hold whatever you show up with.

Totally agree with DLgal. Nothing beats the magic of the GCH during Christmas. That huge lobby with its huge tree and huge fireplace (ok, overuse of the word huge, but true) is so Christmasy and wonderful. There's a huge (grin) gingerbread version of the hotel and you can go all the way around it counting the hidden Mickeys. There are the carolers, bell ringers, sometimes a piano player, and Santa! My sister and I always have to meet Santa and get our picture with him. I hope they move him back into the lobby by the tree and not out in the aisle past the elevators like they did last year. Anyway, it feels much more festive than DLH at Christmas, partially because it's already kind of suited to that winter lodgy feel. Oh, and you can get holiday beverages in Hearthstone and also just outside of it on that end of the lobby and really enjoy the atmosphere.

Well you guys have sold me. I'll keep the GC reservation. I really hate construction noise too. I get it has to be done but I try to avoid staying places with active construction going on.

I don't want to wish time away but gosh I wish the next four and a half months hurry up.

Stay at GCH in December. Its SO festive for the holidays, with carolers in the lobby in the evenings, a beautiful tree, and the Holiday Cart selling goodies.

Do you know when they have all the decor up? We’ve stayed at the Grand Floridian at Christmas, and they do the decor in stages… so if you stay Thanksgiving week, you miss some of it. I’m hoping for some kind of early Christmas season discount…. But want to make sure it’s fully decorated!

Do you know when they have all the decor up? We’ve stayed at the Grand Floridian at Christmas, and they do the decor in stages… so if you stay Thanksgiving week, you miss some of it. I’m hoping for some kind of early Christmas season discount…. But want to make sure it’s fully decorated!

Fully done by mid November. Usually by the second Friday. Disneyland kicks off ALL the Holiday stuff at the same time.

The lobby Gingerbread house may take a bit longer, but it will be done by December.

Well now I'm watching YouTube videos of Grand Californian tours. It has only been 6 years since we stayed there but I feel like it's so different.

Do they have little bottles of shampoo in the room or is it a pump dispenser?

We just stayed at the Grand Californian for the first time. I’ve stayed at the Disneyland Hotel several times, most recently back in 2019. GCH is soooo nice - not sure I’ll ever go back to the DLH. Highly recommend the woods-courtyard view, sitting on the balcony felt like you were in the middle of the woods.

Well now I'm watching YouTube videos of Grand Californian tours. It has only been 6 years since we stayed there but I feel like it's so different.

Do they have little bottles of shampoo in the room or is it a pump dispenser?

It's still tubes of product. Big ones.

100% agree. Stayed here last year during December and it’s very festive. Do you remember (time frame) when they decorate the hotel? We’re booked again this year but November after the parks are decorated but would hate to miss the hotel being decorated.

Loved our first trip to DL! We stayed in a DVC studio at VGC. Room 4504 had a great view of WOC and could hear the music well! We loved watching the coasters and hearing the symphony swings other times of day too!

Attachments

• 28A3D268-CBD4-453A-A2A6-71C0531787F8.jpeg
    28A3D268-CBD4-453A-A2A6-71C0531787F8.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 30
  • 16584103-1ECD-4584-A442-E20CC4B1F704.jpeg
    16584103-1ECD-4584-A442-E20CC4B1F704.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 29

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter