• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

If you all will be doing your own in-room coffee, you're in luck. The machines use 8-12 cup sized paper filters and can be set for 'regular' or 'strong' brewing.
Only the Villas have a normal coffee maker. The Hotel rooms use small filter packs and brew 2 cups.

Only the Villas have a normal coffee maker. The Hotel rooms use small filter packs and brew 2 cups.

I see the picture of the coffee pots on page 1 but do you know if I could use my own 2-4 cup filter and coffee in it?

This is an awesome thread!! Is it correct that a courtyard view can see the monorail tracks from the balcony? What would be request be? What floor? How far is this from the secret entrance? TIA

Does anyone know if they are still giving out the special fastpasses to each quest staying at a resort hotel?

Jack

Hey all! I've tried searching the thread but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

We are finally staying at GCH in October, so excited! Originally I booked a standard room, then upgraded to Partial DTD View. I know this is because there will be obstructions, like trees. But Are these rooms right on the DTD strip? that would still be awesome if that's the case.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to try to get upgraded for free, or try to get the best room on that view level, maybe a higher floor?

TIA!

Does anyone know if they are still giving out the special fastpasses to each quest staying at a resort hotel?

Pretty sure that it's a "not at this time", Jack. They usually advertise it on the website and mention it with booking, and I just made a ressie couple days ago and they said we would have Extra Magic Hours.

Was frantically reading this board in preparation for our first trip to the GCH next week and now it has gone very quiet. Would like to email the hotel to politely "remind" them of our celebrations (25th anniversary, college/high school graduations). Don't have time to re-read the whole thread, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Hello?!? Anyone out there?:rotfl:

I always go through vacation planning for special events, requests, priority seating arrangement etc. I would email them, they just need to know your reservation number to verify that you are staying at one of the three resport hotels.The search I did online gave me this address, vacationplanning@disneyonline.com. Good luck, and have a great trip! :)

Thank you, gardengirl, for your quick response!! I did send an email to them in regards to our celebrations. We are celebrating our 25th, oldest daughter's graduation from college, and youngest daughter's graduation from high school. This is certainly a splurge for us ($$$$:scared1:) and wondered if Disney could do anything above and beyond. Will let you know how it turns out!!!:)

I am happy to help a fellow Disr from the Pacific NW! I hope that Disney sprinkles some of it's pixie dust on your upcoming trip, you certainly have a bouquet of celebrations to enjoy. Congratulations on all of it. You will LOVE the GCH! I would love to hear your feedback from the trip. :)

Hello, we just returned from a four-night stay and loved it once again!! The number one thing I wanted to report on is the secret exit is no longer viable. We walked down the staircase but there was a sign on the door saying the alarm would sound if the door was opened and that the door was NOT to be used for access to DTD or to DCA. So, that resulted in a longer walk for us because we had to walk all the way back up and around to eventually get out of the hotel!

For EMH, we went to the main gates instead of using the GCH entrance. I was the first person in my turnstile lines each day when getting to the main gate each day at 6:15/6:20. My family would join me about 6:45.

Our girls, ages 8 and 12, spent three hours at Pinnochio's Workshop one evening. They liked it. Our 12yo was too old to be there, really, but she went into it with a good attitude because she knows DH and I like some adult time at Disney. Their policies and procedures for safety are TOP NOTCH, I would highly reccomend it. They did all sorts of fun activities and even went up to the Concierge Lounge to watch fireworks at 9:30. This childcare center is top of the line.

LOVE the service we received at GCH and love the decor and close proximity the parks. We truly love staying here!!

There were a few negatives and here they are:
-Water in the shower would turn from just right to freezing cold then back to just right. Not ideal but that cold water really woke me up at 5:30.
-A couple times the water in the sinks would not drain.....pretty gross to look down and see my toothpaste spit just sitting there in yucky water. It would eventually go down. I'm thinking the sink pipes might be a bit clogged with who knows what and need a good dose of draino to clear them out.
-Pool water was downright chilly. Everyone in our family commented on this and we were surprised the water was kept so cold.
None of these were deal breakers, of course, just negatives I happen to note.

Hello, we just returned from a four-night stay and loved it once again!! The number one thing I wanted to report on is the secret exit is no longer viable. We walked down the staircase but there was a sign on the door saying the alarm would sound if the door was opened and that the door was NOT to be used for access to DTD or to DCA. So, that resulted in a longer walk for us because we had to walk all the way back up and around to eventually get out of the hotel!

For EMH, we went to the main gates instead of using the GCH entrance. I was the first person in my turnstile lines each day when getting to the main gate each day at 6:15/6:20. My family would join me about 6:45.

Our girls, ages 8 and 12, spent three hours at Pinnochio's Workshop one evening. They liked it. Our 12yo was too old to be there, really, but she went into it with a good attitude because she knows DH and I like some adult time at Disney. Their policies and procedures for safety are TOP NOTCH, I would highly reccomend it. They did all sorts of fun activities and even went up to the Concierge Lounge to watch fireworks at 9:30. This childcare center is top of the line.

LOVE the service we received at GCH and love the decor and close proximity the parks. We truly love staying here!!

There were a few negatives and here they are:
-Water in the shower would turn from just right to freezing cold then back to just right. Not ideal but that cold water really woke me up at 5:30.
-A couple times the water in the sinks would not drain.....pretty gross to look down and see my toothpaste spit just sitting there in yucky water. It would eventually go down. I'm thinking the sink pipes might be a bit clogged with who knows what and need a good dose of draino to clear them out.
-Pool water was downright chilly. Everyone in our family commented on this and we were surprised the water was kept so cold.
None of these were deal breakers, of course, just negatives I happen to note.

Bummer..but I'm not surprised..I'd have thought they would have done this long ago, but still...bummer.

Really? Are you sure you had the right exit? We just used it on Tuesday, last week(6/26), and there were no signs at all. We successfully exited the hotel from the secret exit with no alarms.

We are finally recovering from our 3 day stay in a 3 bedroom suite with concierge service. We had a fabulous time and all of us loved the hotel! It is just so convenient and nice. You really can't beat the ability to quickly go back to your room and take a nap or grab something you forgot. We didn't use the hotel EE but had no problems getting in almost everything we wanted.

I agree, the pool was chilly but we got used to it quickly.

Glad to hear that. I was wondering about the child care, even though my kids are still too young to stay there. Do you know if they allow you to bring younger kids into Pinnochio's accompanied by an adult just to play? I know the timeshare places (Sheraton, Marriott) we've stayed at generally allow that. Its so nice to have a playroom area in the hotel.

Has anyone used Disney services to find a baby sitter for younger ones while staying at GCH? I don't usually use those kinds of services, but have some level of trust that it would be reputable at Disney.

nursemelis374 said:
We are finally recovering from our 3 day stay in a 3 bedroom suite with concierge service. We had a fabulous time and all of us loved the hotel! It is just so convenient and nice. You really can't beat the ability to quickly go back to your room and take a nap or grab something you forgot. We didn't use the hotel EE but had no problems getting in almost everything we wanted.

I agree, the pool was chilly but we got used to it quickly.

We will be doing concierge on an upcoming trip, can you tell me about it? We have only done concierge once at the Poly at WDW, so that is our only frame of reference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter