Grand Californian Super Thread

Can you requesting regular daily housekeeping? I did that a few weeks ago at DLH, but they most definitely did not offer it up. When we stayed at the GCH in July, it was towels and trash only.

I agree they are being CHEAP! How is it different to put the robes and slippers in there (other than more laundry for Disney to do, which costs them money that they are currently HAPPY to not be spending but are charging the same high rates)?

Can you requesting regular daily housekeeping? I did that a few weeks ago at DLH, but they most definitely did not offer it up. When we stayed at the GCH in July, it was towels and trash only.

I agree they are being CHEAP! How is it different to put the robes and slippers in there (other than more laundry for Disney to do, which costs them money that they are currently HAPPY to not be spending but are charging the same high rates)?

Seems like it costs them even more if people realize they can be requested, because now it takes time to take the request and run the robe to the right room. Hopefully enough people start making the request and the robes will go back to being provided upfront!

Quick question--how much do you tip Mousekeeping when they bring you toiletries/towels/etc? With two teenagers I know we'll need additional supplies and as someone who worked as a housekeeper to help pay for college, I want to be supportive, but I'm not sure what the going rate is since I haven't traveled in two years!
I'd tip $5 -- before I go anywhere, I change a couple twenties for fives so I'm tip-ready. For daily housekeeping, I usually do $10-20 -- that's actually why I missed the notepad and pen; I usually fold a piece of notepaper over the bill I'm leaving that day and write something like "For housekeeping -- thank you!" so they know it's for them and not just accidentally left out.

Yay:cheer2:, I can get a robe. And a couple more questions:
first-can I pay for my stay with Gift Cards and is there an upper limit or number of cards I can use (and do I pay on check in or out?)
and can I go through the GCH entrance with my very first park entry (with tickets on my phone) or do I need to go through the main gate.

Thanks for the map of Grand Californian rooms; however, what is the key for the various colors? Red is standard, but I see people requesting near Napa Rose elevators for standard room locations, and that doesn't seem to be near the red indicated rooms? I have a standard booked in December. Do any standard have monorail views, even if otherwise not great?

Thanks! We usually stay at PP, DL Hotel or in the VGC rooms so I am ignorant of the GC room categories.

Do any standard have monorail views, even if otherwise not great?

"Standard" rooms only overlook the front entrance of the Hotel facing Disneyland Drive. In practice they sell WAY more standard rooms than they actually have in that category, so it is not at all uncommon to wind up in a Woods/Courtyard View even with just a Standard room booking. The Courtyard view is what as the Monorail running trough the Hotel

first-can I pay for my stay with Gift Cards and is there an upper limit or number of cards I can use (and do I pay on check in or out?)
I don't know if there's a limit to how many cards you put on, but it would be helpful if you combined them ahead of time on the Disney Gift Card Balance website. They can only hold a max of $1K each. I used to put one gift card and one credit card down, asking them to use up the gift card first. I never asked for more than one gift card and not sure I'd trust anyone to process them correctly.
and can I go through the GCH entrance with my very first park entry (with tickets on my phone) or do I need to go through the main gate.
Yes, you can use the GCH entrance if DCA is the first park on your reservation.

I don't know if there's a limit to how many cards you put on, but it would be helpful if you combined them ahead of time on the Disney Gift Card Balance website. They can only hold a max of $1K each. I used to put one gift card and one credit card down, asking them to use up the gift card first. I never asked for more than one gift card and not sure I'd trust anyone to process them correctly.

Yes, you can use the GCH entrance if DCA is the first park on your reservation.

Great thank you so much!! And good to know about the $1000 max--I was wondering about that.

We‘re going to be at GCH for three nights in early/mid December and I plan to ask for daily housekeeping. I’m not allowing them to continue to use the “Covid” excuse for not cleaning the rooms daily when they’re packing the parks and rides. We bought that excuse in May at WDW during our five night stay at the Riv and again in July at GCH. Enough is enough. If they want to play this game then reflect this in the nightly price of the room. Disney is just being cheap. If they can‘t find enough housekeeping staff then they’re simply not paying enough.

We‘re going to be at GCH for three nights in early/mid December and I plan to ask for daily housekeeping. I’m not allowing them to continue to use the “Covid” excuse for not cleaning the rooms daily when they’re packing the parks and rides. We bought that excuse in May at WDW during our five night stay at the Riv and again in July at GCH. Enough is enough. If they want to play this game then reflect this in the nightly price of the room. Disney is just being cheap. If they can‘t find enough housekeeping staff then they’re simply not paying enough.

Thank you. Totally agree. I plan on doing the same when I check in later this week!

Please report back on the housekeeping when you request it. I have asked here a few times and have not seen anyone confirm that they asked for and received daily housekeeping on the hotel side of GCH lately. I can confirm I asked for and received it at DLH 3 weeks ago. I tipped $5/day and had to verbally tell each housecleaner as I walked out of the room each day that it was for them because there was no pad nor pen in the room (again, CHEAP and nothing to do with COVID at this point). I think everyone who wants it back should ask for daily housekeeping so that they know that people want it back and expect it to be back, especially at these prices. I just put a Woods/Courtyard room on hold for the week before Christmas (but leaving DLR on 10/22 so not right up against Christmas) and it is over $900/Night. I will cancel it if I can’t’ get daily housekeeping because I will not pay that kind of money to come back to a room with wet towels and unmade beds!

Thanks for all the info. I always left a note with my housekeeping tip, so I guess I'll have to call to request a pen and pad to leave the note! Also, I was wondering if guests can still get free coffee in the morning at the Craftsman Grill. We used to be able to show room keys and get coffee, which I like better than the stuff from the room. Thanks!

Thanks for all the info. I always left a note with my housekeeping tip, so I guess I'll have to call to request a pen and pad to leave the note! Also, I was wondering if guests can still get free coffee in the morning at the Craftsman Grill. We used to be able to show room keys and get coffee, which I like better than the stuff from the room. Thanks!

Really hoping so!

This is an oddly specific question, but hopefully some of you that stay often may know the answer. My daughter and I are staying at the GC and then a few days later I invited her two friends to come for a birthday surprise for her. I want to add them to my reservation so they are able to be dropped off there when they arrive (that is the only way to be dropped off, correct? Be added to the reservation?).

I'm afraid that when we pull up on our first day to be dropped off (in a uber) and I say my last name the guard will say something like "Oh ok, last name with four on the reservation?" or something similar. Or even say the names listed on the reservation ruining the surprise. Is that something I need to worry about?

I've been dropped off at check in before, but can't remember specifics since it didn't really matter what was said then.

This is an oddly specific question, but hopefully some of you that stay often may know the answer. My daughter and I are staying at the GC and then a few days later I invited her two friends to come for a birthday surprise for her. I want to add them to my reservation so they are able to be dropped off there when they arrive (that is the only way to be dropped off, correct? Be added to the reservation?).

I'm afraid that when we pull up on our first day to be dropped off (in a uber) and I say my last name the guard will say something like "Oh ok, last name with four on the reservation?" or something similar. Or even say the names listed on the reservation ruining the surprise. Is that something I need to worry about?

I've been dropped off at check in before, but can't remember specifics since it didn't really matter what was said then.

I’ve never heard a guard say that. They just check if the name is on the list.

Adding your guests to your reservation is a good idea, but likely not needed. Your guests should know the name of the reservation holder (you) and the check-in date -- also likely not needed. The guard shack CM will not recite a list of names, so nothing to worry about

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter