Grand Californian Super Thread

Brand new here... starting research for a family trip this Fall :)

I called today about the renovation schedule and they said so far things are on track or ahead of schedule. I asked particularly about the club level lounge and he said that was set to be finished in mid-Sept while the website lists early October. Exciting!

Fantastic question! I hope you get an answer, since I'd love to know it, too.

And my question: It's been a few years since we stayed at the GCH. Do they still have the tea sandwiches and some fruits or veggies available mid-day? (In other words, is there something more substantial and healthier than goldfish crackers to snack on?)
Do you mean on the CL? If so then yes, afternoon tea is a special of the grand and it includes the tea sandwiches and some wonderful scones with Devonshire cream topping and choc covered strawberries I think.

...I asked particularly about the club level lounge and he said that was set to be finished in mid-Sept while the website lists early October. Exciting!
I asked lounge CM about the remodel (last week) and he shared a few details:
(of course, front-line CM often do not have accurate information)
  • During previous remodels, the lounge was relocated to the Mt. Whitney Presidential Suite (room 6012). Closing a Signature suite will cost GCH some revenue (several thousand $ per night), so I would not be surprised if a room in the convention center is used.
  • The food service counter will be moved from the short side wall to the longer back wall (wall with the entrance door).
  • There will be more glass on the patio side, perhaps glass all the way across.
  • The patio/balcony will have a long counter (where there is currently a railing), to accommodate more guests viewing fireworks.

Good morning! How do you request a room? And when should you do it? I am about 3 months out. Thanks!

I asked lounge CM about the remodel (last week) and he shared a few details:
(of course, front-line CM often do not have accurate information)
  • During previous remodels, the lounge was relocated to the Mt. Whitney Presidential Suite (room 6012). Closing a Signature suite will cost GCH some revenue (several thousand $ per night), so I would not be surprised if a room in the convention center is used.
  • The food service counter will be moved from the short side wall to the longer back wall (wall with the entrance door).
  • There will be more glass on the patio side, perhaps glass all the way across.
  • The patio/balcony will have a long counter (where there is currently a railing), to accommodate more guests viewing fireworks.

I was in there last Friday when Chef Sutton was taking Chef Hunnel (V&A's) on a tour of the hotel and they came through the lounge, I couldn't really hear everything they were saying, but it sounded like they were going to really upgrade the place to include more hot entrees and potentially some cooking stations. Don't quote me on it, but if so that would be nice.

I was in there last Friday when Chef Sutton was taking Chef Hunnel (V&A's) on a tour of the hotel and they came through the lounge, I couldn't really hear everything they were saying, but it sounded like they were going to really upgrade the place to include more hot entrees and potentially some cooking stations. Don't quote me on it, but if so that would be nice.
I'm quoting you :goodvibes

While more food options would be nice, I'll be happy if there are just a few more toasters (which are often a bottleneck in the morning).

It would be quite interesting to know what ideas the 2 top chefs shared.

Hi everyone! We will be staying at GCH end of April and have a theme park view room booked. I keep hearing that it is so far from the DD entrance to go to Disneyland. Does anyone know exactly how far it is from a theme park room to the lobby? We have a 5 and 7 year old and last year we stayed in a standard room right by the lobby so walk was easy, wondering how much more their little legs can take if it really is far. Are others making it a bigger deal then it is? I hope so. ;)

Hi everyone! We will be staying at GCH end of April and have a theme park view room booked. I keep hearing that it is so far from the DD entrance to go to Disneyland. Does anyone know exactly how far it is from a theme park room to the lobby? We have a 5 and 7 year old and last year we stayed in a standard room right by the lobby so walk was easy, wondering how much more their little legs can take if it really is far. Are others making it a bigger deal then it is? I hope so. ;)

Much ado about nothing.

I always puzzle over the long walks in a hotel when people will walk miles getting to and around the parks.

Much ado about nothing.

I always puzzle over the long walks in a hotel when people will walk miles getting to and around the parks.

Thanks. I agree. I just had a moment where I thought maybe it really is this terribly long winding maze that some people complain about.....have you stayed in a theme park room? Curious on what to room area to request if we are wanting to see the Mickey Wheel.

...I just had a moment where I thought maybe it really is this terribly long winding maze that some people complain about...
I overheard a kid (around 10) spontaneously shout "It's like a maze!" while his family searched for their room :laughing:
...Curious on what to room area to request if we are wanting to see the Mickey Wheel.
Rooms 5240 to 5260 (even numbers) have a view of the Mickey Wheel. These rooms are the most distant from the DTD and DCA entrances.

A good room request is: Room located near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose.
There is no view of the Mickey Wheel, but the Park views are quite nice.

Thanks. I agree. I just had a moment where I thought maybe it really is this terribly long winding maze that some people complain about.....have you stayed in a theme park room? Curious on what to room area to request if we are wanting to see the Mickey Wheel.

Yes, I've had a theme park view a few years ago, a couple of times. It of course is walking down the hall and going to be further but never had a thought like -wow, don't know if I can make it back to the room! 8-)

Yes, I've had a theme park view a few years ago, a couple of times. It of course is walking down the hall and going to be further but never had a thought like -wow, don't know if I can make it back to the room! 8-)

LOL! Thanks for the room numbers! I will look I to those!

We stayed in a theme park view near the Napa Rose elevators a couple of years ago. It's definitely a walk. It's indoors so it's a nice walk, but basically you're going all the way from the entrance at DTD, through the restaurant area of the hotel to the lobby, then back around towards DCA. And it did feel a little like a maze.

I think the main thing is when you enter your hotel, you're used to thinking, "I'm here!" ... but you're not. My kids never complained but they were older than yours.

OH PLEASE DISNEY, PRETTY, PRETTY PLEASE! Bring GCH up to the WDW CL standard it should be :love: ...My pocketbook will hate it but I'll love it!

I'm having a hard time picturing how this accommodates more guests, are they thinking that a long counter will encourage more people to stand along what is now the railing? Because I recall plenty of people standing along the railing during the fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter