Grand Californian Super Thread

Does GCH or a local grocery store offer grocery delivery? We are flying in and just want some basics. Box of cheerios, milk, etc.

Does GCH or a local grocery store offer grocery delivery? We are flying in and just want some basics. Box of cheerios, milk, etc.
Very basic items are available at Whitewater Snacks, but a single serving box of cereal is $3.

Vons is often mentioned in VGC discussions about food delivery.

Unconfirmed information, but I have heard the GCH entrance will be closed from January 27 to February 2.

I hope the entrance is made more efficient :goodvibes
At a minimum, there needs to be shade over the turnstiles so CMs can read the screens :lmao:

Unconfirmed information, but I have heard the GCH entrance will be closed from January 27 to February 2.

I hope the entrance is made more efficient :goodvibes
At a minimum, there needs to be shade over the turnstiles so CMs can read the screens :lmao:

Well darn. That's the week we are there. We were looking forward to entering the park direct from the hotel.

GCH Entrance to DCA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Jan. 27 - Feb. 2, the bridge connecting Disney California Adventure park and Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa including turnstile access will be closed for refurbishment. During this time, please use the Main Entrance to enter the parks.

From intercot forum.

Just called GCH, to request the room near the elevator near napa rose side.

The lady that was helping me told me there was no elevator near that area. Only elevator was in the grand hall.. lol

Planning on calling again later on to speak to someone else but its there like a direct line to the front desk?

Update:

Called again later and talked to front desk. Reqested was noted on acct. She asked what floor I wanted, I said I have no idea and she just left it at that. She said I can request again on the day of depending on room availability.

If we get a concierge room do they have a good view? Or are you just paying for the lounge?

Pack and plays come standard in the closet of each room. In the past I have requested the metal crib that has a mattress way in advance and have gotten it. There are a limited number. It's been a year at least since I've done so though, so please call.

So if I am staying in a handicap studio with DVC, my room is going to be room 1516? From looking at the maps, it looks like there is only one lockoff two bedroom that is handicap access and the studio is 1516.

I'm also disappointed if the access from the hotel is not open to the park directly as we will be there 1/26 to 1/31. This is one great advantage for someone who can't walk well where saving even a few steps during a long day helps. :(

I have a question about parking. We are DVC members and will be using our DVC points to stay at the GCH. Unlike WDW, we will NOT have a car on this trip. I have some friends driving in from San Diego for the day to be with us on one day of our trip. I believe I get "free" parking as a DVC member staying at GCH, but is there a way to have my friend use our "free" parking for the one day when she is there? It would be nice to have her park at the GCH to make it easy for her to drop off the case of water that she is bringing for me, too!

Parking at the VGC isn't actually "free". Owners pay for it with their dues, which is likely why staying on points on the hotel side also gains free parking.

The actual lot is across the street from GCH, next to PPH. Once you drive up to GCH, the gate attendant will give you a parking pass for the window. You can drop off your luggage, and head across the street. Just show that attendant the pass, and they will let you in and answer any questions. Also if you are not sure, just ask the GCH gate attendant, and they will direct you.

Do you pay for parking on the way in or the way out of this GCH lot? If I get the free parking pass with my villa (which I don't need since we aren't bringing a car) I can give that pass to someone else to use the day she comes to see us and go to the parks with us? Can she park first and get out for free when I give her the parking pass for the window? Or will it be too late if she doesn't have the pass with her when she enters the lot to park in the morning?

The parking pass should work if they give u one....what happened in our case was that we lent our guest our room key and they used that to get out of the GC self parking lot. Then they simply drove up to the lobby to retun it to me.

Just got back from a great visit at the Grand Californian. MANY thanks to this thread and DISboards. We got room 6502 (1 bedroom villa) and walked in right as World of Color was about to start. We ordered pizza and watched the show from the room. I don't think we could have beat this.

IMG_7687-M.jpg

And this view from the balcony:

IMG_7675-M.jpg

Best part is the family had no idea what the show was going to be. Then the lights go out and it lights up. At that moment we officially arrived, having been consumed by the magical Disney bubble.

Of course the family is spoiled now, and everything we do in the future will be compared to this.

Just got back from a great visit at the Grand Californian. MANY thanks to this thread and DISboards. We got room 6502 (1 bedroom villa) and walked in right as World of Color was about to start. We ordered pizza and watched the show from the room. I don't think we could have beat this. And this view from the balcony: Best part is the family had no idea what the show was going to be. Then the lights go out and it lights up. At that moment we officially arrived, having been consumed by the magical Disney bubble. Of course the family is spoiled now, and everything we do in the future will be compared to this.

Great view!! We got back from a stay at the Grand two weeks ago (our first DL trip) and loved, loved, loved it! I'm glad you mention the bubble. I had read so much about there not bring that bubble the way it is in WDW and how it's not necessary to stay on property at DL, etc, beforehand that leading up to the trip I was doubting picking such an expensive hotel. The minute we walked into the lobby, that thought was gone and we were most certainly in the Disney bubble for the next five days!! I don't think I could do it any differently next time either!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We booked a 2 bedroom suite for May. They said there were no options on choosing a view? Do these all have a similar view? Sorry can't find a room type map right now... Also I requested a king in one bedroom and queens in the other. One CM made that sound like a very, very good chance of getting it, and the other was very clear that this was a request only (which I knew) and to not get my hopes up. Any idea how many 2 bedroom suites are configured this way?

We booked a 2 bedroom suite for May. They said there were no options on choosing a view? Do these all have a similar view? Sorry can't find a room type map right now... Also I requested a king in one bedroom and queens in the other. One CM made that sound like a very, very good chance of getting it, and the other was very clear that this was a request only (which I knew) and to not get my hopes up. Any idea how many 2 bedroom suites are configured this way?
I suspect you have a decent chance of receiving the King bed :goodvibes
The 1 bedroom suite will have the king bed, and the second bedroom will be an adjacent hotel room with 2 queens.
Exact details of bed types and suite locations is hard to find, but some information has been posted on the Disney Meetings website.
The current Disney Meeting site says there are 44 suites

Older information from the Meeting site was copied to this thread, indicating 38 suites
No suites were added during the DVC expansion, so it is unclear how the number has changed.
There were descriptions of Artisan Queen (2 queen beds) and Artisan King A/B/C (1 king or 2 queen beds), but these detailed types no longer used.

I suspect the Artisan Queen suites are located below El Capitan (6329) and Arcadia (6314), and have only 1 connecting hotel room.

The Artisan King suites (which could be king or 2 queens) are located at corners, allowing 2 connecting hotel rooms.

Some previously posted diagrams:

Likely suite locations:
locations.jpg

1 bedroom suite floorplans:
artisan_4.jpg

Rough diagram of how a 3 bedroom suite is formed:
dgch-fp-3br.jpg

Thank you for the detailed reply and the maps! I really hope we get the King bed because I don't go on vacation to feel cramped! Will those corner rooms look out towards DCA? Having never been to DLR, I am a bit disoriented by it all! Thank you!

what food is on the breakfast buffet at storyteller's? i am contemplating making a reservation but can't seem to find an idea of what the buffet is like anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter