Grand CAL. How much lower will the prices drop ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what the situation is like now, but before VDH, guides were telling people that there is a line out the door of people on the waitlist to buy VGC direct at $315pp. That kinda tells you how a lot of people view DVC direct membership.
lol - Guides were telling people BLT would sell out to existing members before it made it to the general public because there was that much demand.

I am on the waitlist for $315 direct VGC, I joined it when resale contracts starting going through the roof. I guess with VDH so close they assume all waitlist people will just buy there instead, so allowed the price to drop down and not ROFR. (probably the right call)

Can you clarify "full access to Aulani"? I understand that resale cannot be used at RIV.

I’m not sure I understand the question as I was responding to why someone would buy VDH direct over resale.

Direct VDH can use points at Aulani and there is usually availability at 7m for everything except the least expensive rooms.

Direct can also be used at VGC but there is rarely availability.

Either way direct will have access to 3 west coasts resorts as opposed to resale which COULD be only 1.

Would we call it a lie or irrational exuberance?
Some have out right lied to prospective buyers about things. This one I have no idea but the VGC waitlist might be 15 people looking for 25 points. Or might be members who got on the list while trying to find a resale. There's been several posts like that over the years.

The BLT scenario was just stupid.

Will be buying direct at VDH mainly as we prefer DL over WDW. Will use VDH points to book there at 11 months then try and switch to VGC at 7 months.
Not insinuating this refers to your situation but I have a feeling that guides will use this as a selling point: " you can use it to stay at Grand Cal!" only to disappoint some new owners who don't know any better.

Not insinuating this refers to your situation but I have a feeling that guides will use this as a selling point: " you can use it to stay at Grand Cal!" only to disappoint some new owners who don't know any better.
Exactly what they told me when I was in the market for a contract back in 2019. I didn’t know much about DVC and had no idea there was a resale market. Fortunately, I did not buy Aulani (which is what they were trying to sell me) because I only wanted VGC, but it was sold out. Guide told me no worries I could use Aulani points to book VGC, but didn’t say it would’ve been difficult at 7 months. Glad I waited.

Exactly what they told me when I was in the market for a contract back in 2019. I didn’t know much about DVC and had no idea there was a resale market. Fortunately, I did not buy Aulani (which is what they were trying to sell me) because I only wanted VGC, but it was sold out. Guide told me no worries I could use Aulani points to book VGC, but didn’t say it would’ve been difficult at 7 months. Glad I waited.
My first meeting with a guide as a noob went equally as well. They tried to sell me 250 Aulani points (to also use at DL). Not the most ethical practice.

Last edited:
As of today, I could sell my Poly or BLT and make a little money. But not really trying to make money on this. Direct or resale, if you hold to the end the enjoyment value has hopefully been maximized but the asset value at year 49 is zero for everyone. I wonder when that cliff edge pricing will start to kick in. The 2042 resorts will see it first. Maybe 10-15 years remaining mark. Will see.

I'll be interested in seeing what happens with those contracts. If ours goes through for VGC, it's good until 2060 but I know we won't want to keep it that long (I'll be turning 79 that year and my husband will be in his 80s.) So we'll need to figure out when the best time to get out is because I wouldn't want to get stuck with the annual fees on something we can't use. I don't expect to 'make money' or get all of our money back or anything. I just hope when the time comes, there will be enough years left on it that someone would want it!

Interesting. I had contacted DVC to just ask some questions about VGC....this was about a month ago. The guide told me that it was sold out (didn't mention any wait list.) But then was like "we will have a new DVC resort opening at Disneyland soon!"....as if I didn't already know. Ha! He never mentioned I could buy there an book at VGC but I never really asked either. I'm tempted to ask just to see what he says about.

I'll be interested in seeing what happens with those contracts. If ours goes through for VGC, it's good until 2060 but I know we won't want to keep it that long (I'll be turning 79 that year and my husband will be in his 80s.) So we'll need to figure out when the best time to get out is because I wouldn't want to get stuck with the annual fees on something we can't use. I don't expect to 'make money' or get all of our money back or anything. I just hope when the time comes, there will be enough years left on it that someone would want it!
I think if you start looking into it around 2045-ish you should still get decent money for it (10+ years left), but we may know more when the 2042 contracts start coming up.

I think if you start looking into it around 2045-ish you should still get decent money for it (10+ years left), but we may know more when the 2042 contracts start coming up.

Yeah, we have no clue what the future holds when it comes to our health or anything else, obviously. But I do hope to keep/use our contract for at least 15-20 years which would put us at 2038-2043.

Yeah, we have no clue what the future holds when it comes to our health or anything else, obviously. But I do hope to keep/use our contract for at least 15-20 years which would put us at 2038-2043.
They say average length of DVC ownership is 7-8 years. I have zero facts or figures to back this up. It just comes up a lot. I don't know why. I can't imagine ever selling my contracts. I also never imagined owning as much as I do. The point is, you never know what life will throw at you. But I just can't imagine never going to Disney again. It's too depressing to think about.

They say average length of DVC ownership is 7-8 years. I have zero facts or figures to back this up. It just comes up a lot. I don't know why. I can't imagine ever selling my contracts. I also never imagined owning as much as I do. The point is, you never know what life will throw at you. But I just can't imagine never going to Disney again. It's too depressing to think about.

I hve hear around 10 but that is based only on owners who are selling…those owners tend to average 10 years….but thar is different then the group as a whole,

My guess is that the majority of owners own for longer than that because the % of contracts for sale every year is a small fraction of actual contracts out there…

Whoa...that's so short! I can't imagine us only keeping it 7-8 years unless something tragic happened in our lives but obviously I don't like to think that way. I guess for us it's easy to imagine keeping DVC for 15+ years since my husband and I have been going to Disneyland together since 2004.

I just got a 2042 contract & i plan to use it 3 times (Bank/Borrow for every 3 years), then just get an idea to reassess if worth selling or just keep it, at that point there should still be a good 10 years left on it.

Plus i'm sure i will have picked another contract or 2 by then. lol (with later dates on them)

Wow… I’ve had my contracts starting from 2000. Just recently (past 3 years) wonder if I’m better off selling most of them.
Because of all the park changes it’s not been as much fun to go anymore. So stressful.
I’ve been to Aulani a couple times to avoid the parks and those trips have been absolutely heavenly.

This. And so many comments in various threads where people say they are planning to buy at VDH to book at 11 and try to get VGC at 7. Tells you everything you need to know about which resort is more valued. VGCs supremacy remains unchallenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter