Grade Grubbing Vent

smartestnumber5

<font color=blue>Then it's just a fun time<br><fon
I'm almost done with grad school and I teach introductory classes in my field along the way. I'm looking forward to an academic career that involves a lot of teaching (hoping for a liberal arts college position).

I really enjoy teaching. I like interacting with students. I like hearing their ideas. I like seeing their minds be blown by ideas they've never heard before. Grading kind of sucks, but its bearable. What I really can't take though is two things--things that I dread through the entire semester: 1) Plagiarism and 2) Grade-grubbing.

I've vented about plagiarism here in the past, but now that it is final grade time the grade-grubbing problem is taking over. I gave higher grades this semester than ever before (due to my own stupidity in designing assignments and giving them weight in the grading)--tons of A-s and B+s, some Bs, very few B-s, and almost nothing lower than that (except for people who did not turn in all the assignments). 30% of their grades were essentially freebie points of the kind where so long as you do the assignment (and put in a legitimate effort), you get full credit. This means that whatever grade the students got on their papers, their final grade was at least 3-6 points higher. I call that a gift they were extremely lucky to get. (In general, the department expects the median grade to be a B-....my median is way higher than that.)

And yet, even those these students are already getting a nice big break on the grades, I've still got people bothering me trying to get a higher one after I've officially reported the final grades to the university. One of them told me, "By my calculation, I'm just a point away from the next letter grade up so I was wondering if you could tell me how you figured our grades."

:confused3 (What I said in my head): What do you mean how I "figured them"? I read your paper. I gave it the letter/percentile grade I thought it deserved based on the standards I have given to you and based on a comparison with your classmates' papers. Then I used 6th grade math to calculate the number of points you earned given the percentile grade I assigned. Then I added those points in with all of the other points for all of the other assignments in the class (they already know what they got on these assignments because I've been posting grades online the entire semester). I used an excel spreadsheet and the SUM function to add up your total points. I used the mathematical rules of rounding to get rid of the decimal in those numbers. If you got an 85 after rounding, that was a B. If you got an 89 that was a B+. A 93 was an A-.

Even after I explained all that (in a more subtle, concise, kind way), I still I got "Well...but I was only a point away from an A."

(In my head) Yes, and Bobby was only 1 point away from a B. And Ann was just 2 points away from a B+. And Jack would have a B+ instead of a C if only I had given him 5 extra points on every single assignment!

(In my head) So what do you want me to do? Am I supposed to only give an extra point to you? Are you special? Do you think I have been unfair to you personally in comparison to all other students? Like I graded them objectively and gave them exactly the grade they earned (according to my calculations), but in your case I purposely lowered your grade by 1 point to keep you from getting an A?

(In my head) Or am I supposed to give an extra point to the entire class? But why stop at just 1 point. If I add one point to everyone's grade that means at least 3 grade changes I'll have to submit to the registrar. But wait, now there are at least 3 more people who are just 1 point away from being bumped up to the next letter grade (you know, the people who used to be 2 points away!). Better add another point. Etc. Etc. Why not just give everyone an A?

Another student wants to talk to me about his/her grade and specifically tells me that s/he wants to "argue with me about the grade" because s/he would prefer a higher grade in the course.

:confused: (In my head) What the heck? Gee, really, you'd prefer a higher grade? Wouldn't everyone? :rolleyes: And you want me to meet with you so that you can "argue with me" about the grade you got? And you are announcing to me your intention to argue with me?

(In my head) I am not going to "argue" with anyone about grades. I am not an arguer. If there was anything worth arguing about, it sure as heck isn't your grade. Where did you get the idea that you get to challenge professor's grading decisions not for any actual reason (e.g. I think you graded my paper harder than other students; you made a mistake in your addition; I don't understand why what I said was not correct; I met the grading standards for a higher grade than I got) but because "you'd prefer a higher grade"? Why should I bother grading at all--I could just ask students what grade they prefer at the beginning of the term and then give it to them! No more need to read all of those boring papers!

I know that grades are important and I was pretty grade conscious myself all throughout college. My college had a tradition of announcing the person with the highest GPA at graduation and giving him/her his/her diploma first. I would have liked to be that person, but since I got one A- I ended up in a three way tie for 2nd place. It sucked and I was not happy about it (my dad was really disappointed), but that's life. I didn't have any legitimate grounds for complaint about getting the A-, so I sucked it up and moved on. I didn't realize I should have just let the professor know that I preferred a higher grade. Hey from what I hear, finishing and defending one's dissertation is a nightmare. Maybe if I let my department know that I'd prefer they just hand me a PhD now they'll do it?

:headache:

Can I go up to a car dealership and tell them I can afford a Mustang but I would prefer a Ferrari? Maybe if I argued enough they would give it to me. :rotfl:

It must be frustrating to have people argue with you about the grades. One point away from an A is a B any way you slice it.

I wish you good luck in completing grad school and beginning an exciting teaching career.

I really detest the idea of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." Every time I watched a classmate argue their way into extra points I was more angry at the the teacher for caving. The point(s) some student just got as a freebie I worked hard for, and the feeling of accomplishment was undermined.

Ooooh, am I GLAD this thread is here. I wanted to absolutely *strangle* some of my classmates on the last day due to their absolutely pathetic level of grade grubbing. I am in a Master's Degree program and they are some of the worst grade grubbers!!

I had only classmate who earned an A- in one particular class. We have our program classes (which use on grading scale) and a couple core classes which use a different grading scale. This was in a core class. By that scale she had an A- , and on the last day of class fought with the teacher for 30 minutes about her grade. By the scale used in other classes... she should have an A! She begged the teacher to changed her grading scale even though this would have given 8 students a lower grade and flunked 2 students... just so she could ger her A. I also would have been bumped up to an A by the change in scale but told the teacher not to do it. This classmate *flipped* by telling that teacher that since half the class was in the program that we should use our scale for just our half. Thank god the teacher refused. I can't believe someone would spend 30 minutes, in class, fighting with a teacher and yelling.

She then went to the teacher and demanded to re-review every test we had taken the whole semester and was fighting for points on old tests. :scared1: It was insane! She got an A-, she passed. Who the hell cares if you pass with a 93% versus a 95%. We are medical people..... no one looks at our GPA when we graduate they look at our residency experience. As long as you pass what the heck else matters?

Another girl had her GPA calculated after every test and fought with a profressor for 45 minutes to go from a 96% to a 98% on a test. I think the Master's level people are some of the worst grade grubbers I have seen.

I also just adore when they always try the "But i tried really hard!" argument. As if their mere effort in a class should earn them that A+. They talk about time put in studying, all the effort to learn material, and they are so close to a higher grade and since they tried soooooo hard they should just get it. It is truly pathetic.

Of course my classmates who are grade grubbers hate me because i refuse to fight a grade unless it is an outright error (and that gets solved in 30 seconds flat). Even if I may benefit from some of classmates grubbing I despise it. I want the grade I earned not the grade some whiney brat cried for.

I feel your pain by watching how far some of my classmates go to fight a teacher. The teachers learn to tune them out, and it just gives the student a bad reputation for caring more about an arbitrary grade than about any knowledge gained.

I really detest the idea of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." Every time I watched a classmate argue their way into extra points I was more angry at the the teacher for caving. The point(s) some student just got as a freebie I worked hard for, and the feeling of accomplishment was undermined.

Yeah, I look down on teachers who cave. It just rewards their bad behavior.

Another great whiney tactic of classmates is any test question that more then 10 people get wrong they believe should be curved. As if hard questions should not be allowed..... ummm.... that us what ends up seperating those who really understand the material thoroughly from those who just memorize. As if any question that several people miss was obviously too hard and they should just be given the points for trying. I could *almost* (but still not really) understand if it was pass/fail situation but fighting for grades when you already have an A is just being greedy.

Simply explain that you don't "round up" on grades, for anyone.

I'm almost done with grad school and I teach introductory classes in my field along the way. I'm looking forward to an academic career that involves a lot of teaching (hoping for a liberal arts college position).

I really enjoy teaching. I like interacting with students. I like hearing their ideas. I like seeing their minds be blown by ideas they've never heard before. Grading kind of sucks, but its bearable. What I really can't take though is two things--things that I dread through the entire semester: 1) Plagiarism and 2) Grade-grubbing.

I've vented about plagiarism here in the past, but now that it is final grade time the grade-grubbing problem is taking over. I gave higher grades this semester than ever before (due to my own stupidity in designing assignments and giving them weight in the grading)--tons of A-s and B+s, some Bs, very few B-s, and almost nothing lower than that (except for people who did not turn in all the assignments). 30% of their grades were essentially freebie points of the kind where so long as you do the assignment (and put in a legitimate effort), you get full credit. This means that whatever grade the students got on their papers, their final grade was at least 3-6 points higher. I call that a gift they were extremely lucky to get. (In general, the department expects the median grade to be a B-....my median is way higher than that.)

And yet, even those these students are already getting a nice big break on the grades, I've still got people bothering me trying to get a higher one after I've officially reported the final grades to the university. One of them told me, "By my calculation, I'm just a point away from the next letter grade up so I was wondering if you could tell me how you figured our grades."

:confused3 (What I said in my head): What do you mean how I "figured them"? I read your paper. I gave it the letter/percentile grade I thought it deserved based on the standards I have given to you and based on a comparison with your classmates' papers. Then I used 6th grade math to calculate the number of points you earned given the percentile grade I assigned. Then I added those points in with all of the other points for all of the other assignments in the class (they already know what they got on these assignments because I've been posting grades online the entire semester). I used an excel spreadsheet and the SUM function to add up your total points. I used the mathematical rules of rounding to get rid of the decimal in those numbers. If you got an 85 after rounding, that was a B. If you got an 89 that was a B+. A 93 was an A-.

Even after I explained all that (in a more subtle, concise, kind way), I still I got "Well...but I was only a point away from an A."

(In my head) Yes, and Bobby was only 1 point away from a B. And Ann was just 2 points away from a B+. And Jack would have a B+ instead of a C if only I had given him 5 extra points on every single assignment!

(In my head) So what do you want me to do? Am I supposed to only give an extra point to you? Are you special? Do you think I have been unfair to you personally in comparison to all other students? Like I graded them objectively and gave them exactly the grade they earned (according to my calculations), but in your case I purposely lowered your grade by 1 point to keep you from getting an A?

(In my head) Or am I supposed to give an extra point to the entire class? But why stop at just 1 point. If I add one point to everyone's grade that means at least 3 grade changes I'll have to submit to the registrar. But wait, now there are at least 3 more people who are just 1 point away from being bumped up to the next letter grade (you know, the people who used to be 2 points away!). Better add another point. Etc. Etc. Why not just give everyone an A?

Another student wants to talk to me about his/her grade and specifically tells me that s/he wants to "argue with me about the grade" because s/he would prefer a higher grade in the course.

:confused: (In my head) What the heck? Gee, really, you'd prefer a higher grade? Wouldn't everyone? :rolleyes: And you want me to meet with you so that you can "argue with me" about the grade you got? And you are announcing to me your intention to argue with me?

(In my head) I am not going to "argue" with anyone about grades. I am not an arguer. If there was anything worth arguing about, it sure as heck isn't your grade. Where did you get the idea that you get to challenge professor's grading decisions not for any actual reason (e.g. I think you graded my paper harder than other students; you made a mistake in your addition; I don't understand why what I said was not correct; I met the grading standards for a higher grade than I got) but because "you'd prefer a higher grade"? Why should I bother grading at all--I could just ask students what grade they prefer at the beginning of the term and then give it to them! No more need to read all of those boring papers!

I know that grades are important and I was pretty grade conscious myself all throughout college. My college had a tradition of announcing the person with the highest GPA at graduation and giving him/her his/her diploma first. I would have liked to be that person, but since I got one A- I ended up in a three way tie for 2nd place. It sucked and I was not happy about it (my dad was really disappointed), but that's life. I didn't have any legitimate grounds for complaint about getting the A-, so I sucked it up and moved on. I didn't realize I should have just let the professor know that I preferred a higher grade. Hey from what I hear, finishing and defending one's dissertation is a nightmare. Maybe if I let my department know that I'd prefer they just hand me a PhD now they'll do it?

:headache:

In MY head I would be saying "I don't like you, and I think you are stupid for arguing with me."

I'm surprised they don't have their mothers call you to complain!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I hate whiny babies!

When I was in grad school at Stanford I took an honors level course where a grade of 99 only got you a "pass" grade in the class. Not even a "pass +" and no one complained.

By introductory, do you mean like 100 level classes? And your school expects the median to be a B-? (Can I also add that I hate plus and minus grades? :lmao: )

I don't think professors rounding up grades one point is really all that unheard of. I think the best way to handle it though, is to be clear from day one, by telling your students, and putting it in writing in the syllabus that there is no "rounding up." Then there shouldn't even be a discussion.

You have college students turn in "homework" assignments?

My college professors always "rounded up". I thought that was the norm. Anyway, I just can't feel any annoyance for a pupil that is conscientious and worried about their grades.:confused3

My college professors always "rounded up". I thought that was the norm. Anyway, I just can't feel any annoyance for a pupil that is conscientious and worried about their grades.:confused3

It appears the "conscientiousness" only manifested itself after the final grades were turned in.

I have nothing against being conscientious. I am conscientious.... this is why I study and follow my grades throughout the semester and attend every class and turn in my assignments on time. If I have ever had trouble I go to tutoring and meet with my professors to ask for help. This has gone over extraordinarily well the 2 times I had to do it. I care about what I earn. When I knew I would miss finals week over the summer I e-mailed professors before even registering to see who would allow me to take the exam early.... then registered based on that.

I despise those who don't do as well and then cry and whine that they deserve credit just for trying. Students who only care about the final grade and not the work that goes into it are not conscientious, they are lazy and looking for the easy way out by fighting a professor instead of working hard for the grade in the first place. Fighting with a professor AFTER the fact is not conscientious.... it is last minute desperation.:sad2: It just feels like people place too much emphasis on their grade instead of what they actually got out of the class. So long as you pass and you gained an understanding of the material then WHO CARES?

(Yeah... I am particularly annoyed by this currently since witnessing behavior of classmates this semester.)

hmmm... I never once tried to beg for a grade I didn't deserve. I didn't even realize people did that. You might want to structure your grading to be 100 pts for the whole class. That way the students realize every point counts and it's very easy to determine what their grade is all through out the semester. I've had many classes do that- of course, then I get frustrated when a paper that I spent three weeks researching and even more time writing a 10 plus page paper is only 20 points. This is what my friend did as a teacher, she said it was simply so the students knew where they stood at all times. Good luck with your studies!

"your right, you are a point away from the next grade" .... end of conversation. That's how I would handle it.

Speaking as someone who has taught graduate level classes, I can tell you that I have seen a lot of what has been posted.

I construct my test questions from the lecture and hand outs. (I created a "pool" of about 300) then any given test or quiz will have questions that I know was in the material.

yet I would get the few that would contest it. One of the methods that I used is that if they want to contest a question (and thus get a higher score) I make them show me where they DIDN'T get the information in handouts.

(usually they realize that they DID have the information, and cancel the meeting)

oh, and any effort to talk about it is either done after class, at the end of the day, or when I was on campus for office hours, usually on a saturday afternoon.

I didn't change very many grades.

I grade grubbed once and I felt like such a loser doing it. I absolutly had to get my C and I had a 98 or something until the end of the year. We had one huge project that accounted for mayhe 80 percent of the grade and I bombed it (my nasty procrastination does me in all the time). It was horrible and I didn't really beg, but I just let the teacher know that if I didn't manage that lousy 70 percent I wouldn't graduate because the class was core and wasn't going to be offered again before I graduated. He saw fit to let me have my 70, but now that I'm in grad school I avoid him like the plauge because I'm embarased. I always wondered what the actual grade was because maybe I actually did earn my C, but I doubt it. That paper was ugly!

Spending time in the department computer lab affords me many a glimpse at the depth people will sink to to get a grade and the pure irritation it causes teachers. One prof was talking about how she drops the worst grade, but not a zero, and her students were in an uproar because they wanted to have a test they skipped taken out. One guy was completly outraged because he got a C on the midterm and was telling everyone the teacher was out to get him. This teacher is just about the nicest guy ever, but people see what they want to.

A couple of ideas, if you haven't already done so:

1. In the syllabus at the beginning of the semester, you need to make a point that you will not be rounding grades up. You should discuss this with the class as well. Tell them if they have an 89.4, that will be a B instead of an A.

2. For the actual calculations, please be patient with the students that ask you to calculate the grades. In my DH's organic chemistry class, we could not figure out how he got a C+. We calculated the grades, recalculated the grades and it wasn't adding up. So, he went in to visit the prof who had apparently "forgot" to include the 10% of homework assignments into the calculation. DH ended up with a B- in that class because of this. In that instance, all of the grades had also been uploaded to the website as well. Sometimes, it just helps to walk through it. When you do this, you should still be firm... if they end up with an 89.4, it's not an A.

FWIW, not to be rude, but their tuition is paying your salary. So, if they want you to tell them how to figure out their grade, just comply and tell them (which you apparently were already doing). Obviously, don't change the grade. Remember... just smile and nod to their complaining. ;)

3. For ONE of my papers in college, I did go back in and discuss my grade with the professor. My reason in doing this is because I did visit him for office hours prior to when the paper was due, went over my draft with him, and then changed my paper accordingly so that the final paper was what he requested. While I did not request that he actually change the grade, I did want to discuss the paper with him because I didn't know what I had done wrong since I had followed the advice he had given me at his office hours. So, keep that in mind if students visit you regarding a paper before it is due.

HTH! It could be worse... the parents could be calling you! :scared1: (And yes, I have talked to college profs where this did apparently happen.)

Helicopter parents in college... yes I see it far too often and it scres the heck out of me. The best thing about that is you can just say sorry we are not allowed to talk about a student's grades with anyone except the student. If you do talk to them you could get sued.

My DH sees this all the time. His stock answer is "I don't 'give' you any grade. I just report the grade you 'earned'." His syllabus is VERY precise about what percentage of weight each quiz, test, project, etc. counts for. They can always see their current grades online. He gives them many chances to improve grades by offering to let them submit a rough draft of a paper that he will read, grade and offer suggestions for improvement, inviting them to his office to discuss material they are unsure of, etc. He has one rule he is adamant about: he will NOT discuss grades by email. The student MUST come to see him in person. More likely than not, they don't bother. He has had students whine that they "have" to get a certain grade or "x" will happen (whether it be they will get kicked out of school, off their sports team, or whatever). Not his problem. And yes, he has had parents contact him. He is still not done with grades for this semester. He spent the entire day yesterday grading papers and will spend most of today doing the same. I'm so glad this semester's work is just about done.

I do a lot of what previous posters have talked about. My grading system is handed out on the first day of class in a syllabus, and each test, quiz, mid-term test, final test, and term paper grading requirements are stated. There are no shades of grey. Like a few other posters stated, the school policy prohibits me from discussing grades with anyone other than the students. (not that I would by any means)

I also tell them that I run their term papers through turnitin.com. I require them to give me their term paper printed out, and an electronic copy.

That gets their attention.

(school policy states that plagerism will result in a 'zero" grade for the paper, and the "make up" portion in the school rules is automatically denied.)

If it is a core course (my course is a core course) they must take the grade given, if below a 3.0, must re-take it before graduation.

Even though it sounds tough, the majority of the students that I have had, rise to the occasion and actually perform quite well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter