• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got the blues

I had a good friend who was a chaplain and he always complained that everyone was too independent and never came to him for anything until it was almost too late! Tough, tough job. He was a catholic priest though and didn't have a wife or family (that I knew about anyways). :cool1:

He moved out west and I haven't seen him in years.

That is exactly why my dh doesn't wait for them to come to him. While in the "sandbox", he visits with each of the companies regularly. He is there when they come in and out on each convoy. He walks the halls. He works out at the gym with them. He plays ball with them. He eats with them. He is always among them.

When not "over there", he goes to PT with them. He walks the halls, visits, and has weekly meetings with the entire company. It surprised a lot of the guys because most of them did not even know who their last chaplain was. My dh loves his job and is good at it.

Well, enough bragging on my dh.

You guys are awesome as well.

I was a MOB officer for many years before I became a commander. I used to counsel the families and soldiers about the similarities between deployment and a death. Not to be morbid, but when the spouse goes away for 18 months, the family situation is very similar to the spouse dying. The normal activities handled by the soldier have been assumed by the other family members - taking out the trash, mowing the lawn, paying the bills, walking the dog - whatever. When the families look at it from this perspective, it makes the transition home smoother. They make a conscious attempt at turning those responsibilities back to the returned soldier. From my own perspective, there is a definite culture shock when you return. It's a lot different dealing with kids than dealing with soldiers. One of the guys from my unit who returned home at Thanksgiving time went into the kitchen and asked his wife if the ****ing turkey was done yet. While that was perfectly acceptable in Iraq, it wasn't what his wife wanted to hear at home with their 3 young daughters. It's hard to transition into not worrying if a poisonous snake is crawling into bed with you to get warm, or if the kid who is running toward you in the street is going to kill you. It takes a while for some of these guys to adjust, and it sure is helpful if the family understands and remains patient.

Sandra,

I don't know what advice I could offer - it's hard, very, very hard. I know that I was manic - couldn't shut up for a long time - then just the opposite.

I think your husband might be well served to talk to his peers - other chaplains - and talk stuff out with them. I'm sure that hearing everyone else's problems wears a little thin. He'll be OK though - he's got you and the kids to help him. That counts for a lot!

Jim, have no doubt that I will have NO problem turning his chores back over to him. I have to admit that I thought him going would be no big deal. One less person for me to take care of, no more picking up his clothes from the floor. No more tripping over his combat boots (dd7 broke her collar bone tripping over them right before we moved).

Well, let me tell you. That man did a lot more than I give him credit for. It may not have been much, but it was enough that it should have been appreciated. He would run the vacuum for me. He did the pots in the evening. He ran interference with the kids so I could take a bubble bath w/o the constant "MOM!!". Boy do I miss those bubble baths.

Ladies, let you hubbies know that what they do is appreciated. This has been a learning experience for the both of us.

Al, he does talk to the other chaplains. I asked him long before he left not to talk to me about certain things. "Ignorance is bliss" has been my motto. There was a recent event that he felt compelled to talk to me about because it was so hard on him. I listened (well, we were IMing) and then proceded to purge all of the info out of my brain. I keep telling him that as far as I am concerned he is at a desk in Omaha. :hippie:

There was one scary moment for me a few months back. I was standing outside with some other wives and the kids. A government vehicle with a few soldiers in class As pulled up and stopped right in front of my duplex. My neighbor's husband is in the same unit as my husband. My heart stopped and I started to panic. The fear that hit was enormous. You don't want it to be your husband, but you also don't want to wish it on someone else. Another neighbor's husband stepped out. He had been to an official thingy and was being dropped off. Boy did I let him have it. I told him to NEVER do that again.

It is hard being the chaplain's wife because I am the one that others look to. I am not comfortable talking to the other chaplain wives either. I have always been independent and hate being seen as weak. (Hence my refusal to fully accept a wheelchair.) I guess that it why this deployment is easier on me than most wives. I just had a few bad days there. I hope I am over it now.

And Gatordad, believe it or not, even chaplain wives can get a little crazy sometimes. Myself and another chaplain wife on our street are known for our "shenanigans". When we walk in to a block party together, the neighbors say "oh Oh, it's the chaplain's wives". We like to cut loose sometimes too. I just don't happen to need alcohol to do stupid stuff, unfornately, I am fully capable of doing stupid things stone cold sober." The chaplain next door actually rides a Harley, complete with the jacket. I guess when the weight of the world is on your shoulders, you NEED to be able to get a little crazy.

Oh, maybe I should not be telling you guys this stuff. Let you guys all think that I am some nun up for sainthood. Then when someone else's camper gets "fiendified" no one will ever guess it is me. :rotfl: :rolleyes1

First off, I am very glad you are feeling better.

Second I want to say thank you to you, your husband and your family. This country owes you much more than could ever be paid.

Third, I got you saying thingy too..... LOL

and Fourth, the Nun around here is Ami, just to keep you up to date.... :lmao:

OK, guys, I am not normally on this side of the board, but I really need a pick me up.

I am missing my hubby a lot. It will still be 6 more months before he gets back. I should not have taken my trip to WDW and FW so soon in his deployment. I could really use the break right now. I don't think planning the trip for his return is helping much either. It is actually getting me down that it is so far away. It really hurt cancelling the Oct ressies today. That is when he was going to come home for R&R, but it got switched to June. Since I won't go to WDW in the summer, we did Hot Springs instead. We had fun, but it was not FW.

It seems like he has been gone forever.

Looking at the pics of the fort help a little, but also make me homesick. Did I mention that my kids were given the choice of staying in a 2-3 bedroom condo with a tv in each room this next trip or a tent at FW and they picked a tent because they won't stay anywhere else. We really love FW. We chose tenting to save the money on gas, which is still outrageous. If it goes down, we will bring the camper.

I homeschool, so that keeps me busy during the day, can't imagine them being gone and leaving me all alone. Of course, right now they are fighting over whos pillow is whos, so I could use a little alone time. :confused3 This is when he would step in.

Oooooo, he just IMd me!!!!! Let me go chit chat.

Hang in there! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
Thank you to your husband, you and your family and all the families of service men and women for the sacrifices you make. God bless you all!

Wait til after the LDGG lol. I'm sure something will happen.

I am sure you will drop something!:lmao:

Sandra, reading your thread wanted me to stay home from work and just give you a call to cheer you up. I do hope your spirits are better. They seem to be. We are all here for you. Hopefully I can keep the people out of my office long enough to get online during the day. It hasn't work the past two days, but I am trying! Keep your chin up, we are all thinkin' 'bout ya!

Glad you're feeling better, I couldn't begin to imagine what you're feeling. I do believe tho that Gibson should be cloned and given to all parents to help keep the kids in line.

Jim, have no doubt that I will have NO problem turning his chores back over to him. I have to admit that I thought him going would be no big deal. One less person for me to take care of, no more picking up his clothes from the floor. No more tripping over his combat boots (dd7 broke her collar bone tripping over them right before we moved).

Well, let me tell you. That man did a lot more than I give him credit for. It may not have been much, but it was enough that it should have been appreciated. He would run the vacuum for me. He did the pots in the evening. He ran interference with the kids so I could take a bubble bath w/o the constant "MOM!!". Boy do I miss those bubble baths.

Ladies, let you hubbies know that what they do is appreciated. This has been a learning experience for the both of us.

Al, he does talk to the other chaplains. I asked him long before he left not to talk to me about certain things. "Ignorance is bliss" has been my motto. There was a recent event that he felt compelled to talk to me about because it was so hard on him. I listened (well, we were IMing) and then proceded to purge all of the info out of my brain. I keep telling him that as far as I am concerned he is at a desk in Omaha. :hippie:

There was one scary moment for me a few months back. I was standing outside with some other wives and the kids. A government vehicle with a few soldiers in class As pulled up and stopped right in front of my duplex. My neighbor's husband is in the same unit as my husband. My heart stopped and I started to panic. The fear that hit was enormous. You don't want it to be your husband, but you also don't want to wish it on someone else. Another neighbor's husband stepped out. He had been to an official thingy and was being dropped off. Boy did I let him have it. I told him to NEVER do that again.

It is hard being the chaplain's wife because I am the one that others look to. I am not comfortable talking to the other chaplain wives either. I have always been independent and hate being seen as weak. (Hence my refusal to fully accept a wheelchair.) I guess that it why this deployment is easier on me than most wives. I just had a few bad days there. I hope I am over it now.

And Gatordad, believe it or not, even chaplain wives can get a little crazy sometimes. Myself and another chaplain wife on our street are known for our "shenanigans". When we walk in to a block party together, the neighbors say "oh Oh, it's the chaplain's wives". We like to cut loose sometimes too. I just don't happen to need alcohol to do stupid stuff, unfornately, I am fully capable of doing stupid things stone cold sober." The chaplain next door actually rides a Harley, complete with the jacket. I guess when the weight of the world is on your shoulders, you NEED to be able to get a little crazy.

Oh, maybe I should not be telling you guys this stuff. Let you guys all think that I am some nun up for sainthood. Then when someone else's camper gets "fiendified" no one will ever guess it is me. :rotfl: :rolleyes1

Okay.....I'm teary eyed reading this. I was away from my husband for one week, and I missed him like crazy. My kids were tired of hearing me start every sentence with "Dad, would like this". I can't begin to imagine what you're going through. Sounds like you've gotten some very good advise and insights from those who have lived your situation. Plus..you've got Pete breaking into song. I call that support! :thumbsup2 We're here for ya...a crazy bunch..but we do care. I can't offer you the insight that that some of the others have, but I do offer you a grateful heart, and shoulder when you need it. :hug:

bwooop bwoop, when did you become the chaplains wife. you are a grandma at 30, yet you claim a sordid past.

I wish I was 30. I still feel like that country songs says "I'm too young to feel this dang old." and "I'm not as young as I once was". And since you guys are just dying to know how young I started.... I was 16 when I had my oldest. :eek: Hope ya'll still love me. :cutie: People find that fact quite shocking.

That year she was 11~~~~Whoooweeee! You should have seen her! That is....if you could've caught her! :stir: :moped: :cool2:

And, by golly, when I was 12, ooooh boooyyyy!!!!!

Glad you're feeling better, I couldn't begin to imagine what you're feeling. I do believe tho that Gibson should be cloned and given to all parents to help keep the kids in line.

He is a good dog, but also drives me crazy a I am not a dog person. If he would stop chewing things up, we would get along just fine.

Auntie, it was weeks before I stopped cooking for him. My neighbor's husband is using my dh's van while dh is gone and for the longest time whenever he came home from work my kids would run out screaming "DADDY!!!" It was so sad. Of course, soldiers here are used to all kinds of kids calling them daddy since, when they are in uniform, they all look alike. Especially since most kids only see them at knee level. :rotfl: I have a hard time picking my dh out of the crowd sometimes. Lucky for me, they wear name tags. :lmao:

When he goes to the shower over there he is in his mickey crocs. He swears he only likes them because they are more comfortable than the plain ones. ;) He does have a stuffed mickey mouse in his room there as well. We have sent him many things to mickify his room. Maybe I should send several pairs of mickey ears over there and see if he can get all the chaplains to pose in uniform with the ears on. Hmmm, sounds like a plan.

Maybe I should send several pairs of mickey ears over there and see if he can get all the chaplains to pose in uniform with the ears on. Hmmm, sounds like a plan.

I'd like to see that on the news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter