Got some really bad news today.....

I agree with calling the financial aid office right away. They may be able to resubmit his FASA (financial aid form) with an amendment as a result of the current financial situation. It is a loop whole kind of thing if you have a major life event change. Hope that it helps.

Originally posted by Familyof14
A Mickeyfan - What I meant is if he took the part time that was offered, would he still get his retirement benefits? If so, stick with the part time and get another part time to make ends meet.

I am certainly no expert on corporate matters, so the above was just a suggestion.

Do let us know what the lawyer says today. We are interested.
;)

Our school district has a summer program(day care) for kids that my daughter has worked with. Perhaps yours does to and you could get a position...every little bit helps.

I work the after school program already... before I knew this I had told them that I would be able to work 2 weeks in the summer... the day after finding this out (yesterday) I told them they could put me down for the entire summer except for the first two weeks..they said they would see what they could do... And as far as taking the p/t job...he went to HR today & they really advised him against taking it...they said if he did, he would loose out on what Workers comp benifits he would have possibly qualified for. He also went to an attorney today and he told him there was nothing that can be done to the company..they are within their legal rights. In the state of Florida you cannot go after your employer for terminating you due to an work related injury. By law, they must offer you another position (which they did), if the position is not comprable in salary (at least 80% of old salary), they refer you to the state/workers comp run program for retraining (which they did). He called workers comp & they told him that he must first be assest for the program & if he qualifies, they will send & pay for him to train in a different field for up to 52 weeks. During the 52 weeks, they (workers comp) will pay him 80% of his old salary. As far as medical benefits, they will not help with that...only the bills that pertain to the injury. His company is offering us Cobra...but not sure what the amount we have to pay is yet. If he takes the p/t postion...he will not get anything applied towards retirement.... and make less money than going the retraining road.... but he must first qualify for it..we will find that out next Wed. Human Resources did tell him today that maybe he can train in a field for another dept for them & they will rehire him at the end of his training...but I really do not believe they will.... I told him to call an "Employment" attorney tomorrow...the one he went to today was a Workers Comp (but not thru workers comp) ....he deals mainly with Worker comp problems.... and my husbands isn't with workers comp...it is with his employer.... so we will see what happens next....

And to answer about the financial aid.... my son has been accepted into 2 colleges...he hasn't registered yet...he wants to go away (USF)...and I want him to stay local (FGCU)....once he sends in his commitment letter, we can go to the financial aid office at that college & apply for the "unusual circumstances" exception ..and we must bring in documentation (of the termination & what money will be coming in at that point)...which we will have everything by next week.....

I still haven't canceled any of my plans yet....and I will tell you.... I have NO intentions of dropping my stay at the Royal Pacific.... if anything...I may cancel onsite Disney (especially since I extended it) and try for a week on SkyAuction...or even Priceline.... I may end up not getting the Disney Seasonal Pass also... I already have a 2 year Universal... I figured I may not get to go to both Disney & Universal as often as I want....so I will just focus on the one that I already have...Universal....and just to let you all know... I didn't post this on the Disney Resorts board.... I didn't want to get bashed for maybe dropping the Diseny portion of my trip LOL!!!! ;) I am trying to hang in there & keep a sence of humor.... if not ... I will go nuts....and trust me... I am not too far from that now.... I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow :wave2:

hang in there

i am hoping and praying that things will take a turn for the better for your family

i am just dumb founded that someone can be let go from their job for a job related injury :sad2: :confused3

lisa

I hope everything works out for you. I know it is a very stressful time for you but you've got lots of friends here on the boards rooting and praying for you. Oh and I promise not to tell anyone over on the WDW board your Universal secret.;)

Is it reasonable to try to contact the Social Security Administration? It seems that if your husband is "disabled" because of the injury, then maybe he could go on permanent disability ??? I feel so bad for you and your family. In today's employment market, we all are possible victims of this situation and it is really scary. If this were happening to my family, I would really pursue the legal avenue. Just from reading your posts, my perception is that this is a clear case of discrimination and I would pursue every possible avenue to the fullest. Best wishes to all of you. Keep the faith!

Evidently in the state of Florida you can be let go for a work related injury if you are unable to do the job you where hired for... I cannot believe it either! As far as the disabiltiy end of it, to try and collect social security benefits, you must be a certian percentage disabled and cannot work at other jobs. My husband's disability is only 8% (I guess that is what they give you for a knee :confused: )....therefore he quilifes for nothing! It is disabled enough to no be able to do his job (so they say), but not enough for help! We will have to wait and see what Wed brings when ge goes for his re-trainning assesment... He did call 2 more attorney's today & they both said the same thing...his job has every legal right...go figure. Those attorney's were Employment attorney's... I have now told him to seek advice from a Discrimination attorney... his job IS discriminating against him... well see what happens with that.. I think part of the problem is that he works for a very large and well known paper & maybe people don't want to go up against them...they own papers, TV stations & radio stations all over the world... I won't say the name but every one knows them TODAY in the USA ::yes:: He has to go down to the HR office tomorrow to sign some papers so they can cut him a check for his retirement money...he is/was vested. We will see what they say to him tomorrow....I will keep you all posted... and if you all have any other thoughts...let me know... like I said...I am going to have him call a discrimination attorney...that may be a route for him to go?!?! Thanks for the tips...:wave2:

By day I am a Financial Aid Counselor. Please contact the school and let them know about the current sitution. Most schools will have you estimate this years income and use that info. And then hopefully make some changes for the better on his award letter.

If you have any Financial Aid questions, please feel free to email me. vavalynn2@yahoo.com

Good luck.

I'm coming in late on this discussion and I just can't believe you have no rights legally here. Aren't you even able to sue the company for the injury itself? Maybe a period of time has expired since the injury and that's why the company brought your husband back right away? I know 2 woman where my husband works were hurt on the job and the company wasted no time settling with either of them when faced with those lawsuits. I just don't understand!

I will definitey keep your family in my prayers. This is just a sad situation for all of you. I'm so sorry.

My husband went to down to the HR dept at work yesterday to finalize things.. while he was there, he asked for a copy of his job description that was in his file. When they pulled it, he as well as the rep were shocked to see that there was an eval done on him in March 04 (remember he returned to work Feb 17th) stating that he could do his duties!!! They compared the doctors statement (showing his restrictions) to the letter of termination given to him, as well as the job description, and nothing added up right. They called an emergency meeting in the HR dept & have postpond the termination date until the publisher can sit with them & review everything. That appointment was made for Monday the 26th. My husband also has read (in his paper work) that he is entitled to a second medical opinion...and he was never offered that...they just jumped to terminate... I guess many people only go for a second opinion when a doctor will not put a restriction on you..so no one ever thought of the reverse action. With these new findings...there may be something that can now be done. If they do indeed see reason to terminate, I think he will have some legal backing as far as discriminating against him because the doctor has stated that he would need "further surgery" on this report where as on the other return to work reports (over the course of the 10 years) have never stated that! (Also not to mention the second opinion route!) Hey.... all your prayers may be helping us.... thanks so much ... I will let you know what happens on Monday...:wave2:

Wow, I hope this works out for ya'll!! It is always better to get good news than bad. We will continue to pray for you.::yes::

My husbands life insurance was cancel because of a test he asked a doctor to run. The test was to check and see if he had an abnormalty of the heart like his brother died of. He DID NOT, but because he had high cholestrol and his doctor wrote in the medical file that his father had died of heart problem, the insurance company decided he was too much of a risk. All this came to light after my husband decided to increase his life insurance.
We did eventually get it all straightened out. Hopefully, it will work out for you as well.

Glad to hear things are looking up, Sharon!

Now make sure your hubby gets copies of all those documents, like his job description and evaluation. We wouldn't want anything changing or walking off!

Keep us posted!

He went for his meeting yesterday & got NOWHERE with them...they are now saying that, Yes he can physically do his job (as his eval's clearly state)...but they are getting in new press equipement & when it comes in, he will not be able to!!! That is just BS ... how can they say that ...when the new equipment isn't in...and he hasn't tired... he has another meeting with them tomorrow... I have a sinking feeling that he will end up getting the shaft one way or another.... They haven't officially terminated him yet.... I think tomorrow may be the day...after the meeting... In the mean time more bad things are happening...my son was rushed by ambulance to the ER from school on Friday...some sort of "episode"...he went to the doctor's today & they are sending him for an EEG... his CAT scan came back good...blood/urine work good. He is 17 and graduating on May 17th... I think the stress of all of this has just gotten to him.... now.... our insurance is still in effect (from my husbands job)...that means when my husbands job terminates him...if he dosen't go with the cobra... my job's insurance may not accept my son..."pre-existing" condition...which we aren't even sure of what it is.... and... I cracked my tooth last night & need a crown.... someone really doesn't want us to go to Universal or Disney this year :( I know this isn't the board to be posting this kind of stuff....but everything is really starting to get to me now too...it is like...what else is going to happen....only good news we got so far this week was my Mom's cancer isn't back.... thank God!:D I will keep you posted on his meeting tomorrow... say those prayers...PLEASE:wave2:

Good luck! I suspect that you're right ab. the attorneys being afraid of the company... I think it's a good idea to explore your options with diff. attorneys more versed in discrimination and federal law (the Americans with Disabilities Act, in particular). I also think the company is giving your husband the runaround-- they've changed stories so much already. Moreover, I would keep an eye out for other employees around the office to see if they're being let go as well...I hear that that particular company your husband works for is going through some troubles, so this may be their way of downsizing without really having to commit to their employees and admit that they have an impending financial problem. This is when you wish a union was involved...

As for your son, I agree with previous posters. I would contact the schools and see if you can get some sort of guidance on what you can do now, instead of later. When I applied to college I went through a similar personal tragedy right when I was in the decision process, and the school I ultimately chose sent me a new financial aid package within hours, and other schools told me what the probabilities were of getting more aid. My sister is also graduating this year, and we've been in contact with the financial aid offices, and they've been pretty responsive.

I hope everything works out!!

caribbeanme
You are correct in his company...they are going after others in his dept also... now everyone in his dept is worried.
They were to get back to him today about Monday's meeting & they had no answer other than... he can still apply for other positions with them. Last day of pay will be 4/30. There was one position with them today that HR told him about & told him to apply...he goes down down to that dept & the dept manger said there was no such opening...something is very screwy... he needs to get in touch with a lawyer that will give him an appointment to review all his papers. He did call a lawyer today & that one is still saying that in the state of FL, his company has the right to do this to him up to 4 months after returning to work...I told him to keep trying and he needs to tell workers comp he wants his second opinion! He went to the state run re-training program today for his evaluation on that..they will give him the answer next week...when he was leaving the parking lot there ...someone cut him off & he just missed hitting another car head on, but instead went into a pole with my NEW car ...2004 Impala bought in December!!! We now need a new quarter panel on it!! This is getting to be almost toooo much to believe that all of this can happen at one time....sort of like a dream (nightmare)....when am I going to wake up and see everything was just a dream :confused: :worried: :scared:

Mickeyfan, remember that sometimes bad luck seems to happen all at once. Hang in there and keep in mind that it's all going to work out eventually. Hard to see I know but it will.

I'm so glad that HR is at least working with your husband. Tell him to keep on pushing and "to play their game" as someone I know puts it. I bet that someone will come up with a solution to all of this.

Sorry to hear about the car. A quarter panel is a hassle but won't really hurt the integrity of the car. Don't let all of this affect YOU because that's truly the hardest thing to deal with.

Please continue to keep us informed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter