Got some really bad news today.....

A Mickeyfan

DIS Veteran
and I may have to cancel my trip....or at least cut out a good portion of it... my husband has worked for the same stinking company for 17 years... a major NewsPaper Company..don't want to say the name....no it isn't the Orlando Sentinal (..they wanted him at one time..he should have gone to them). He hurt his leg at work several years ago... his latest surgery was in Novemeber (some of you may remember me complaining how the HRH didn't give us a room close to the elevator)...anyway... he has a perm disability from the leg...his doctor told him back in Feb that he would never be able to do full duty again... his company was well aware of this when he returned back to work on Feb 17th...well today they (the company) decided that he really cannot stay on with them in his current position...so they gave him a choice...he can stay with them but in a different position.... way different.. part time with less than 1/4 of what he was making per hour plus only 1/2 the hours... instead of 40 hrs ... 20 hrs... or he will be terminated...he has until Friday the 23rd to decide... he is on paid leave as of today thru Friday!! Needless to say...we may be short of funds! I am torn on what to do... I have 2 days at Universal & then another 7 at Disney (plus yesterday I added 4 more to Disney...total of 11 days vacation)... I want to keep my 2 nights at the RPH... I may just cancel the Disney portion...since I don't have a Disney Pass any more.... I was going to buy one. I am thinking maybe skip Disney completly... stay onsite for the 2 nights & maybe offsite...thru Priceline for a few more... my husband told me not to cancel anything yet... I think he is still in shock & hasn't realized that there will be no pay checks!!! Yes..he may still be able to get some from disability..but not enough..... this is one big mess..... thanks for listening.... I just needed to vent.... and to top everything off....our oldest is graduating High School in May...and then off to college... financial aid goes by LAST YEARS income tax return... not by the current year... that puts a damper on things for him....he has a 75% scholorship...but that won't help with a dorm or anything other than tuition.... my son's plans are going to have to change now too.... it is funny how in just a matter of seconds (maybe a miniute in my husbands case) your entire life can change.. :( :confused: :mad:

it is funny how in just a matter of seconds (maybe a miniute in my husbands case) your entire life can change..

Yep, our family has learned that several times in the last few years!!:(

Sorry to hear that you're going through all of this - keep on plugging away - things always have a way of working out - not always in the way we want, but one way or another, they just do! Keep the faith (we've all come to love the saying "if this doesn't kill me, it will make me stronger" )and enjoy whatever part of your vacation you can manage to pull off.:smooth:

I am so sorry to hear about your husbands work. I think that you should contact the college that your child will be going to, I'm 99% sure that even though they go off of last years tax return they are supposed to take a change in your income into account. As far as your vacation goes maybe you could do disney for a day or two and universal for a couple days then go to the beach, we go to the beach and our kids love it and its free. Please keep us posted how things go.

Oh, Sharon! I feel so awful for you. It's not like your husband got laid off -- he got hurt on the job and is now being further hurt by some pretty unappetizing ultimatums. I can't help but think a good lawyer might help -- not to sue, but to protect your husband's rights because he was disabled on the job.

I do hope everything works out, and that you are able to go on vacation and that your son is able to go away to college as planned. Mike and I both work in tenuous conditions and always debate whether or not we should take our next vacation. Ultimately, we say that on our death beds, we're not going to be thankful that we stayed home so I hope you're able to work something out.

Sending good thoughts, prayers, and hugs your way!

Jodie

"if this doesn't kill me, it will make me stronger"
***********This is so ture.... ************

I think that you should contact the college that your child will be going to, I'm 99% sure that even though they go off of last years tax return they are supposed to take a change in your income into account.
****************Thank you for that thought, I didn't think they did that ... I will call*****

I can't help but think a good lawyer might help -- not to sue, but to protect your husband's rights because he was disabled on the job.
******Jodie...he has an appointment on Wed morning at 9am already!! I wish the appointment was tomorrow!********

Thank you everyone for your thougts.... what really bugs me is that this all stems from an on the job injury.... I just cannot uderstand... I truly think it is illegal what they are doing to him, we will soon find out... I will keep you all posted...I am also thinking he should contact someone in the American Disabilites Group or something... they let him go back to work for 2 months & then decide he cannot stay.. ... that is like discrimation...they were aware of his disability/restrictions prior to his going back after the surgery...if they felt he was unable to perform they shouldn't have taken him back... and no one ever said anything to him about not being able to do anything... He is a pressroom supervisor....basically the only part of the job he cannot do is to go into the machine & fix it...he can still do all of the other functions of his job...and 99% of the time....the supervisor isn't the one to be going into the machine...the pressman are! I think it is "Corporate America's" way to get out of giving a 17 year employee his retirement benifits that would be coming in 3 years!

Please let us know how it goes! Wishing you good thoughts!

Oh, I hope things work out for you guys! Please keep us posted.

Sharon, I am so sorry you are going through this! It sounds like you may have a legal issue. I hope there is a positive outcome for your husband on this. I know what you mean about how corporate America treats loyal employees who are close to retirement. My DH can retire in 4 years and has worked for his company for over 20 years. They are in the process of making his job harder right now. I won't get into it.

I hope you are able to take your vacation. With all this stress, your family deserves the vacation. Keep me posted.

I agree with your husband, don't cancel anything yet! At least wait until your husband talks to the lawyer.

This is so awful! I wish you all the best in this mess. Keep us posted!

I know you will get all types of advice here, and I will not be much help however, I think your husband should stick with the job for another three years to receive his retirement benefits. Perhaps he could find another part time job as well. Are you working?

Remember that lawsuits can get really expensive. :eek:
You need to think about your priority's (getting your children through school, etc.). I would also trim your vacation budget a little, but not completely. Disney is a wonderful pick-me-upper! :)

Good luck and God Bless !

When we hit hard financial times, I realized that I needed the fun of Disney and Universal even more. I just travel on a tight budget. I get one or two bedroom condos through Skyauction for about $260/week. A huge condo with whirlpool tub, complete kitchen and in room washer & dryer is not exactly a hardship.

Since I only pay $37/night for my lodging, affording annual passes is much easier. I buy connections vouchers and use coupons so I can eat for less than $25/day. I charge everything to a Disney Visa so I can apply my points to the purchase of park tickets.

Seaworld's annual pass is a great deal. Their fun pass costs the same as one day's admission and is good for the calendar year.

Look into cost saving options. I have found that I actually enjoy myself more when I'm not spending a lot of money. In my mind, the vacation feels more like an excellent value for my money instead of a huge financial drain.

i really am sorry for this "bad" turn of events- i worry every year about a layoff since my husband works for a finacially strapped city

i do agree though that you should take some legal action

i can only wish you the best & hope you will allow yourself to enjoy your vacation- its well deserved

lisa:goodvibes

You are in my thoughts. We cut Disney off our Spring Trip this year and just did Universal due to the expense of Disney. I miss it, but it was still a great time at Universal and we missed the Spring Break lines. Things will turn up.

You definitely need some legal advice! If you don't want to get involved w/ a lawsuit, check things like whatever professional society might exist for your husband's profession, an employee assistance program, or your state regulatory system that handles disabilities.

Call the Financial Aid Office at the College/University that your son is going to attend and tell them of your changed financial status ASAP! There are supplemental grants available at many institutions that are set aside for this kind of thing. They are sometimes called "in house grants." The reason I say ASAP is because these funds are sometimes limited and are first come first served basis. Give them a call. Good luck!

Shawn

Originally posted by themepark
Sharon, I am so sorry you are going through this! It sounds like you may have a legal issue. I hope there is a positive outcome for your husband on this. I know what you mean about how corporate America treats loyal employees who are close to retirement. My DH can retire in 4 years and has worked for his company for over 20 years. They are in the process of making his job harder right now. I won't get into it.

I hope you are able to take your vacation. With all this stress, your family deserves the vacation. Keep me posted.
Lori... just tell him to be very aware of what is going on...watch everything... One of the woman that I work with was telling me about another company that is here in Fl that "terminates" you within years of your retirement...they feel it is cheaper to settle a court case than it is to give you your retirement benifits...

He hasn't heard anything yet..he is consulting an attorney tomorrow morning ....I will let you all know the out come... and thanks for everyone's support... funny how you can count on support form people that you have never met face-to-face.... DIS members truly are family
:D

Originally posted by Familyof14
I know you will get all types of advice here, and I will not be much help however, I think your husband should stick with the job for another three years to receive his retirement benefits. Perhaps he could find another part time job as well. Are you working?

Remember that lawsuits can get really expensive. :eek:
You need to think about your priority's (getting your children through school, etc.). I would also trim your vacation budget a little, but not completely. Disney is a wonderful pick-me-upper! :)

Good luck and God Bless !

They aren't giving him a choice! He was trying to stick it out for the 3 years. They handed him a letter & told him to read it... the letter stated that they were no longer going to keep him in his current position (which is a full time pressroom manager), they offered him a part time customer service rep/telemarketer positions at 20 hrs per week for $6.75... that is 1/2 the hours he was working and at 1/4 of his salary!! They stated that if he didn't take the offer, he will be terminated. So he cannot stick it out...not for that amount of money & part time to boot.. I work Part time for the school district.. part time but full time... 8:30-3:30 M-F... some days I am there till 6pm with the after school program.... but I have no job in the summer??!!?? We have 3 kids...1 will be going off to college...1 is 15 & the other is 11.

Definitely contact the college's financial aid department. They are usually more than willing to help when something unexpected like this happens. You don't have anything to lose by trying and most colleges will try to bend over backward to help the student attend. Believe my third son is a senior and about to enter college and I've learned not to take the first finanical aid offer they send (even though they all got scholarships room, board and books add up). Hope this can help you, and I hope things get better for you.

A Mickeyfan - What I meant is if he took the part time that was offered, would he still get his retirement benefits? If so, stick with the part time and get another part time to make ends meet.

I am certainly no expert on corporate matters, so the above was just a suggestion.

Do let us know what the lawyer says today. We are interested.
;)

Our school district has a summer program(day care) for kids that my daughter has worked with. Perhaps yours does to and you could get a position...every little bit helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter