Good Friday, not a religious question.

Do your children have off "Good" Friday? (Yes if off for day or part of spring break)

• Yes

Votes: 118 83.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 16.9%

• Total voters
Oh dear. Seafood friday school lunch. Now I'm triggered with memories of Deep Sea Dandies. A fish stick on a hotdog bun with mayo (shudder) Or it may have been some weak tartar sauce. I don't remember which.

And they were made at a central cafeteria and delivered to the school. How half the students didn't die of food poisoning is beyond me.

We were always off for Good Friday as a kid because vacation was always the week before Easter. My kids spring breaks were fixed in early march and they took Maundy Thursday and Good Friday off tool.

We are always off Good Friday and the Monday after Easter. That is our spring break. However, we have used the Monday to make up a day if we missed too many days for snow.

It's a state holiday in NC, which means most if not all schools have it off. However, when I was a kid, the state holiday was Easter Monday, due to legislators wanting to go to the NCSU vs. Wake Forest baseball game that was traditionally held Easter Monday. So I don't find either having it off or not having it off odd.

I teach at a Christian (non-Catholic) private school, so we have Good Friday off, but our local district also has the day off. Our spring break is usually mid-March.

Yep! My area always had Good Friday off + the week after, which includes Patriot's Day (which is just a holiday celebrated by MA and ME). But I have to work - we have professional development. (I run an after school program.)

How about retail stores, shopping malls, Tim Horton's, etc?
Most retail, including the malls will be open noon-5 on Friday. Tim Horton's doesn't ever close, that I know of. :rotfl:
Closed. Stat holiday.

I do find it odd that most stores are closed here on Sunday too but it's not a stat holiday.
Must be a regional thing. Malls here don't close except Christmas and New Years Day. Absolutely nothing closes on Sunday anymore; even the car dealerships are open, which historically they were not.

JW, not Jew :)
You or the bosses? One of my staff members is JW - he takes on-call on Christmas and Easter.

Most retail, including the malls will be open noon-5 on Friday. Tim Horton's doesn't ever close, that I know of. :rotfl:

Must be a regional thing. Malls here don't close except Christmas and New Years Day. Absolutely nothing closes on Sunday anymore; even the car dealerships are open, which historically they were not.

You or the bosses? One of my staff members is JW - he takes on-call on Christmas and Easter.

I, too, was thinking that Tims never closes. Everything will be open Sunday, just holiday hours.

We always have Good Friday and Easter Monday off in the UK- they're "bank holidays" which means many people don't have to work either. Even if our Easter holidays don't cover Easter weekend, we still get the Friday and Monday off.

I went to Catholic school so I always had Good Friday off. My kids are in public school and Spring Break is always the week before Easter.

Good Friday and Easter Monday are public holidays in Australia and New Zealand. Sometimes they fall in the school holidays, sometimes they don't. Either way, everything closes down on the Friday. A lot of shops will open on the Monday, but offices, schools etc are all still closed. NZ schools also have Easter Tuesday off.

I, too, was thinking that Tims never closes. Everything will be open Sunday, just holiday hours.

Safeway is not open in Winnipeg on Sunday. Never has been. Noticed the other day that Dollarama said the same thing. Not holiday hours. Closed.

Must be a regional thing. Malls here don't close except Christmas and New Years Day. Absolutely nothing closes on Sunday an

Boss

Safeway is not open in Winnipeg on Sunday. Never has been. Noticed the other day that Dollarama said the same thing. Not holiday hours. Closed.

Maybe a specific location but every one I've ever shopped at is open on Sunday..

IMG_1497.PNG

ETA- out of curiosity, I checked store hours for 12 locations In the city and they all list the same Sunday hours.

Our spring break is always the last week of March. The kids never have school on the Friday before Easter, but they don't technically get it off for Good Friday.

I just checked the school calendar and this year it's called "Conference Exchange Day for teachers." (I think this is a comp day for the evening hours the teachers worked for parent-teacher conferences.)

Maybe a specific location but every one I've ever shopped at is open on Sunday..

View attachment 231085

ETA- out of curiosity, I checked store hours for 12 locations In the city and they all list the same Sunday hours.

http://accesswinnipeg.com/2017/04/whats-open-and-closed-good-friday-and-easter-long-weekend-2017/

Safeway is not open. Never has been. Your screen shot is just showing the regular hours not holiday. I've been at 2 Safeways this week and both have signs in the door saying they are closed on Sunday.

Hi fellow Disers!
I have a quick question... Recently a family member moved to the northeast and was surprised that their children had Good Friday off. Is this unusual? I grew up in NY state (million years ago) and we always had it off. My real question is does your school system still use it as a holiday, even if it's part of spring break? Again, no religious or moral judgement here. Just asking...
TIA

DS has it off every year. His spring break is in March, usually the 3rd week.
He also had last Friday off...for Fair Day. Yep, for the county fair.

I apologize. Your post made it sound like you were talking about every Sunday, not just Easter Sunday. Of course, Safeway is closed Easter Sunday.

The thread is about Easter. :rolleyes:
Like I say I have always found it odd that so much in Winnipeg is closed on Easter Sunday as its not a stat holiday. The stores could be open and not even pay holiday pay.

Our public K-12 schools have Spring Break either the week before Easter (including Good Friday) or Good Friday plus the week after Easter. This year it's Good Friday plus the week after Easter. Next year it is as well. Growing up, I'm pretty sure that Spring Break was always the week after Easter plus Holy Thursday and Good Friday.

I've never had it as a school holiday, even when I went to Catholic school. Strangely enough, it's a national holiday in Singapore. They have a variety of national holidays that are related to Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter