Good Friday, not a religious question.

Do your children have off "Good" Friday? (Yes if off for day or part of spring break)

• Yes

Votes: 118 83.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 16.9%

• Total voters
The thread is about Easter. :rolleyes:
Like I say I have always found it odd that so much in Winnipeg is closed on Easter Sunday as its not a stat holiday. The stores could be open and not even pay holiday pay.

You're right, but Sunday is Sunday and Easter Sunday is Easter Sunday.

I already apologized, take it for what you will.

Hi fellow Disers!
I have a quick question... Recently a family member moved to the northeast and was surprised that their children had Good Friday off. Is this unusual? I grew up in NY state (million years ago) and we always had it off. My real question is does your school system still use it as a holiday, even if it's part of spring break? Again, no religious or moral judgement here. Just asking...
TIA

Easter is almost always on one side of the term 1-term 2 school break. This year it's the first 4 days

I went to catholic school but we didn't have Good Friday off, normally it was a few days after Easter (that way students could attend the other services that are part of Easter i.e. Good Friday during school). DD is in daycare but they don't take that day off.

Sometimes our spring break includes Easter, sometimes not, but our schools here are always closed Good Friday and Easter Monday regardless.

DD's school, she is a teacher, usually has it off, but she was surprised that this year they don't.....and it isn't part of spring break.

DS was surprised that his workplace has the day off. First time for that.

Catholic school high school student has Friday and Monday off, separate from Spring Break (which was last week of March),

Non-religious, private school middle school student does not have either day off, but his Spring Break (same time in March) was two days longer, with a Friday and Monday added on either side of break.

We're in Kentucky and our kids do not get Good Friday off. I'm a state employee and we get half a day.

Unless it happens to fall during the week school is out for spring break, they don't get it off here. We used to when I was a little girl but we got just about every holiday off back then. Most of the school districts around where I live tend to have spring break in late March/early April so it just depends. UGA had spring break the first week in March this year, most of the county schools had theirs last week and the week before last.

When I was in school, our spring break always included Good Friday and the Monday after Easter. My DD14's school has spring break a couple of weeks before Easter, but they get Good Friday and the Monday after Easter off still. It would be nice if the weather cooperated during spring break, but it's always cold.

Spring break is always the first week in April in Gwinnett County GA. Since Easter moves around on the calendar, sometimes good Friday is part of spring break, sometimes not. This year no. Next year no because the teach planning day that is sometimes the Friday before spring break is actually two Fridays before spring break. So generally no.

Niece who is in Catholic school had a half day today (Wednesday) is off Thursday and Friday(not part of Spring Break) but for Holy Week. She then has the following week off, which is just a coincidence as last year she had the Thursday and Friday before Easter off but her break was not until later.

My kids go to a secular private school that's religiously diverse. Religious holidays aren't celebrated at school but kids and their parents can give presentations about the religious holidays they celebrate to their class. Spring Break always falls the week of March 13 which stinks since that's ds10's birthday. The kids always get Good Friday and Yom Kippur off. There are a lot of Jewish kids at the school considering the relatively small size of the city's Jewish population. Some of them are the kids of expats brought to work here at a multinational company's hq for a few years from Israel. The school is viewed to have expat and Jewish friendly policies even though we aren't a Jewish or international school.

My daughter in college has Thursday, Friday and Monday off, but she goes to a Christian college.

From Scotland - how it used to be was we would get 2 weeks wherever Easter fell but later on when I was towards the end of my school years they changed it to us getting the first 2 weeks of April off and the the Friday/Monday of Easter.

I now work in Higher Education and the students have a month off from end of March to end of April and staff get a week off (not included in annual leave which is amazing!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter