Golf Cart - Do I really need one?

sarahothomas

Mouseketeer
When I originally booked our FW cabin, I didn't think a golf cart would be necessary given that we will have a car and wouldn't be spending a ton of time at the cabin, other than afternoon breaks and one morning off. We will be there for 7 days too, so the cost would be pretty steep. However, I stumbled upon an old (2016) Dreams Unlimited Travel video about the FW Cabins - they said a golf cart is pretty much a necessity, even with a car. How many of you found that to be true?

When I originally booked our FW cabin, I didn't think a golf cart would be necessary given that we will have a car and wouldn't be spending a ton of time at the cabin, other than afternoon breaks and one morning off. We will be there for 7 days too, so the cost would be pretty steep. However, I stumbled upon an old (2016) Dreams Unlimited Travel video about the FW Cabins - they said a golf cart is pretty much a necessity, even with a car. How many of you found that to be true?

You're planning to drive to the parks? Then no, you don't need a golf cart. The best part of having a golf cart is getting off the bus or boat after a late night at the parks and not having to wait for another bus back to your cabin. It's also nice to have for touring the campground and going to the main pool. The cabin pool is close enough to walk to from most cabin loops.

I found the internal bus to be pretty good for getting around to the main pool. We used it some but we also get a golf cart. But we didn't start our rental until our first full day. We do not have a car at disney.

If you are considering a down day at the fort, you could rent one for just that one night.
Happy Camping!

We have never used a golf cart but I think it would be good if you could afford to rent one for a day and tour the loops, especially during the seasons when the sites are really decorated.

Agree, if you're driving to the parks and not planning on spending a lot of time touring the campground then the GC is by no means a necessity. As previously stated, the cabin pool is close by, and actually usually quieter though it lacks the slide and other perks of the main pool, but if your plan is to relax around the pool, then you got what you need.

You can use the internal buses if you go up to the Marina, Trails End, Pioneer Hall, etc.

The folks who get the most out of the GC are the ones who don't like to wait for the buses, spend a lot of time touring around the CG or take frequent down days.

Thanks everyone! I'm down to 51 days until our trip so I'm starting to get that last-minute anxiety about my plans. I think I'll call tomorrow and see about getting a golf cart for our last full day only. After MK magic hours in the morning, we might be too tired to do our evening park plans. An afternoon touring FW on the golf cart sounds nice.

Also @tiggerdad - Roll Tide!

We've been going back and forth about a golf cart. We're going in August, so wondering if it will just be better to take the bus with AC then use a golf cart. Hadn't thought about renting it for just our off days

We have been down the last 3 years and never found a need for a golf cart, as we were camping, not golfing. No seriously, the internal buses are very good at getting you where you need to go. The last trip we did rent a golf cart for the day, we spent the entire day at the fort, but the hurricane cut in to everyone's site decorations for Halloween, so was not much to see. Still was nice to tour the Fort and see all the other loops and rigs there. But for the cost involved, not something we need while there.

My daughter and I visited in January and did not rent a golf cart. Lots of people do, though. You will see them all over the fort. I can see how they would add fun and convenience to a vacation, but I myself won't rent one when I return. Have a fun trip:flower1:

Is one of the outside rental companies still able to drop off at the resort?

Sarahothomas welcome. As to your question Is a GC necessary, not really IMHO. We get one because we like the convenience it affords us. We tend to go around the holidays and having one affords greater flexibility for touring the FORT and enjoying how others have decorated their sites. We also enjoy having a ride to return to our site instead of waiting for a bus when we get back from a park or Disney Springs.
I got hooked on having a GC years ago as I used to book a cabin and used the Platinum Plan that allowed me to book guided fishing trip. I book earliest trip of the day and Bus to Marina was hit or miss to get me there on time, plus I bring my own rods and tackle . Today as we bring our dogs we can just load them in the cart and dog park here we come ( our Little One thinks it's against the law to go while on a leash) We also use it to run down to beach and Marina if we decide spur of the moment to see MK fireworks over The Contemporary or the Electric Water Parade.

I worried about this last month and we were golden without a cart (even with toddlers and a double stroller). The internal buses are super efficient (and the drivers are so friendly!)
That is great to hear about the internal buses. We won't be using them much, but I was worried if I should even bother with them at all because of all the bad things I've heard about them.

Sarahothomas welcome. As to your question Is a GC necessary, not really IMHO. We get one because we like the convenience it affords us. We tend to go around the holidays and having one affords greater flexibility for touring the FORT and enjoying how others have decorated their sites. We also enjoy having a ride to return to our site instead of waiting for a bus when we get back from a park or Disney Springs.
I got hooked on having a GC years ago as I used to book a cabin and used the Platinum Plan that allowed me to book guided fishing trip. I book earliest trip of the day and Bus to Marina was hit or miss to get me there on time, plus I bring my own rods and tackle . Today as we bring our dogs we can just load them in the cart and dog park here we come ( our Little One thinks it's against the law to go while on a leash) We also use it to run down to beach and Marina if we decide spur of the moment to see MK fireworks over The Contemporary or the Electric Water Parade.
Thank you! Yes, I can definitely see how using one to get to the marina makes having a GC worth it.

We've been going back and forth about a golf cart. We're going in August, so wondering if it will just be better to take the bus with AC then use a golf cart. Hadn't thought about renting it for just our off days
I was pretty set on not renting one until I saw that dang video. I'm definitely not paying $400+ to have one for my entire trip (we'll be there 7 days) but I'm considering a one or two day rental. All these "extras" keep piling up it seems, what's another $120? :rolleyes::laughing:

WE rented one on our fort day and had a blast!!! They sure are fun but we just couldn’t see the value in getting it for our entire stay because we spent most our days in the parks. If you have an off day it is definitely worth it. We drove around the different loops, watched fireworks, fished, went to the main pool etc.

No, as others have said, you do not need to rent a cart. You will still have a blast at the Fort.
But, it sure as heck is lots of fun to drive around from place to place on your own time schedule. We especially enjoy driving down to the marina at night to watch the fireworks, and beating the crowded busses back to our campsite.

That is great to hear about the internal buses. We won't be using them much, but I was worried if I should even bother with them at all because of all the bad things I've heard about them.

We are regulars, that live only a couple of hours away so go often. We average about 10 weeks a year on property, most of it at the Fort. I have NEVER had a bad experience with using the buses, boats, or monorail. We use the buses extensively and find them to be easy, convenient, reliable, and most have super helpful drivers.

Not sure where you are hearing negative things about the buses, or what those negative things may be. We have never rented a golf cart and never had any desire to do so. Regardless of where you stay in the Fort, there is a bus stop nearby. You never need to have a golf cart. We do have a vehicle when we are there, but have never driven the parks. We use Disney transportation exclusively. I didn't watch the video, but it's an outrageous statement for someone to say that a golf cart is a necessity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter